Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gynovore posted:

I have a few questions about RotS that I've been wondering about for some time. First, when Padme squirts out Luke, the medical droid looks down and says, "It's a boy... oh wait, twins! What a surprise!" But, the technology we have IRL lets us know the sex and number of children at 4-5 months. Given the level of technology in the Star Wars universe, one would think Padme would know it was twins soon after Anakin rolled off her and lit up a space cigarette.

Second, when Palpatine is zapped by his own Force lightning, and his face gets all icky and his voice becomes... pretty cool to be honest, was his voice digitally altered, or did actor Ian McDiarmid do it himself?

Hey, plenty of people in the real world don't want to know the sex of the kid. She may have just had a standing order not to tell her. Besides, the medical droid DID know it was twins -- it said something to Obi-Wan before the birth.

As for the voice one, I'm sure it was mostly done in his own voice box, but Lucas may well have tweaked it in post. Seems like the sort of thing he would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

SG-83 posted:

I don't know about the Kindle, but I can't see any of the author's notes in the free sample on the Nook. I see the super-scripted numbers for the notes, but that's it. I'm a bit hesitant to spend $15 if the same holds true for the full version. :(

Haven't bought it yet, but I just tried the free sample on Kindle. It appears to work the same as any ebook with footnotes. The superscript numbers are hyperlinks to the notes. The reason you can't see the notes in the sample is because they are all technically at the end of the book, which isn't part of the sample. It should work fine with the full book.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Yeah I ended up buying it on kindle. It works fine on my iPad (don't actually own a kindle). It is kind of annoying having to flip back and forth from the notes section to the actual book but it's not that big of a deal.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Powered Descent posted:

Hey, plenty of people in the real world don't want to know the sex of the kid. She may have just had a standing order not to tell her. Besides, the medical droid DID know it was twins -- it said something to Obi-Wan before the birth.

As for the voice one, I'm sure it was mostly done in his own voice box, but Lucas may well have tweaked it in post. Seems like the sort of thing he would do.

The really lame part was that the all-powerful Chosen One couldn't just tell through the Force. In the Zahn trilogy, Leia was pregnant and could feel the twins through the Force. I think they just felt like raw emotion since they couldn't form coherent thoughts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gynovore posted:

Second, when Palpatine is zapped by his own Force lightning, and his face gets all icky and his voice becomes... pretty cool to be honest, was his voice digitally altered, or did actor Ian McDiarmid do it himself?

There was definitely some work done to it; there are some parts immediately after his, er, disfigurement when the voice has a horribly unnatural reverb and low tone.

The more galling thing, though, is just how terrible the Palpatine makeup was in ROTS. They got it so right in Jedi, and then in Episode III it looks like he's wearing three inches of foam on his face.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Timby posted:

The more galling thing, though, is just how terrible the Palpatine makeup was in ROTS. They got it so right in Jedi, and then in Episode III it looks like he's wearing three inches of foam on his face.

In Jedi, he looked like a really old evil guy. In ROTS, he looked like Bib Fortuna.

In the prequels, they REALLY had trouble making characters like Yoda and Palp look good compared to their older versions in the OT.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
You know, everyone loves to bash the Death Star engineers for putting what amounted to a self-destruct button on the original Death Star that allowed a mere snubfighter to destroy the entire station with one well-placed shot. What a bunch of idiots they were for allowing such a critical vulnerability in a military vessel. I think it's time I came to their defense.

Firstly, the Death Star needed that thermal exhaust port. The Death Star's reactor produces an enormous amount of exhaust that simply must be vented. You cannot ever close it off for any reason, even for a short while. Stick a cork in your car's exhaust pipe and see how long it will run.

The engineers knew the exhaust port was a liability, so they took care to defend it properly. Firstly, they ray-shielded it, so that it couldn't be blasted. Secondly, they surrounded the area with lots of turbolaser batteries and TIE fighter bays, so that there would be plenty of defense against snubfighter attack. And these defenses worked rather well. Only a handful of the fighters that attacked the Death Star survived the battle.

The real problem was that the Death Star was not Jedi-proof. The engineers figured it was next-to-impossible for a targeting computer to place proton torpedoes into the port, but they never expected that one of the Rebel pilots would be trained in the Force. That's because Vader and the Emperor had proudly declared to the galaxy that the Jedi had all been exterminated. Why implement a safeguard against a supposedly non-existent hazard? But it turns out that a Jedi DID survive the purge, and trained a young Rebel pilot in the Force. Had the engineers known there were force-trained pilots out there, they might have put in some anti-Jedi countermeasures. But Vader and the Emperor didn't want to admit their purge wasn't thorough. For shame.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

JediTalentAgent posted:

In Jedi, he looked like a really old evil guy. In ROTS, he looked like Bib Fortuna.

In the prequels, they REALLY had trouble making characters like Yoda and Palp look good compared to their older versions in the OT.

At least they kept the "I-will-rape-your-corpse" eyes. But that make up. geez. It looks obviously fake, whereas the ROTJ convinces you that he really is that ancient.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
There's 20-odd years between ROTS and ROTJ. The Emperor's facial scars yellowed as he aged.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Pesky Splinter posted:

At least they kept the "I-will-rape-your-corpse" eyes. But that make up. geez. It looks obviously fake, whereas the ROTJ convinces you that he really is that ancient.

I'm sure some of it is the makeup, but they also kept the Emperor in the shadows at all times in ROTJ. Showing him sans hood in a well-lit room killed the effect somewhat. Also, Ian McDiarmid was only 39 when ROTJ was filmed compared to 61 for ROTS. You're not going to exactly replicate the look with that age (and weight) difference.

edit: Reading IMDB and Wikipedia after posting this: I did not realize that Denis Lawson (aka Wedge Antilles) is Ewan MacGregor's uncle and also went to drama school with Ian McDiarmid. The picture on Lawson's Wiki page shows that Wedge will still have the look of a badass pilot in later years.

Sax Offender fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 10, 2011

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think it's probably yet another example of "actually caring and making something look good practically" versus "do a rush job and fix it (shittily) in post-production".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

There's 20-odd years between ROTS and ROTJ. The Emperor's facial scars yellowed as he aged.
Well it would have been clever to show hintings of his deformations without outright spelling out how he got that way. But no.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Well it would have been clever to show hintings of his deformations without outright spelling out how he got that way. But no.

They tried to do that in AotC. The dark side was supposed to be corrupting his flesh. It was changed in Sith for some reason

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I guess he always looked a bit like Bib. He just looked so 'off' in ROTS, though.

You know, after rewatching the scene where Palpy gives his Empire speech in ROTS, I still think it would have worked so much better as a hologram instead of him being there in person. It would show a sense self-consciousness and possibly weakness on his part to be unable to physically be there after his true face was fully revealed.

In addition, his big brother-like visage glowing larger than life over the senate, giving the feeling that the Palpatine that they all believed they knew was dead and this was the real eternal and ethereal 'spirit' of his Empire.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

You know, everyone loves to bash the Death Star engineers for putting what amounted to a self-destruct button on the original Death Star that allowed a mere snubfighter to destroy the entire station with one well-placed shot. What a bunch of idiots they were for allowing such a critical vulnerability in a military vessel. I think it's time I came to their defense.

Firstly, the Death Star needed that thermal exhaust port. The Death Star's reactor produces an enormous amount of exhaust that simply must be vented. You cannot ever close it off for any reason, even for a short while. Stick a cork in your car's exhaust pipe and see how long it will run.

The engineers knew the exhaust port was a liability, so they took care to defend it properly. Firstly, they ray-shielded it, so that it couldn't be blasted. Secondly, they surrounded the area with lots of turbolaser batteries and TIE fighter bays, so that there would be plenty of defense against snubfighter attack. And these defenses worked rather well. Only a handful of the fighters that attacked the Death Star survived the battle.

The real problem was that the Death Star was not Jedi-proof. The engineers figured it was next-to-impossible for a targeting computer to place proton torpedoes into the port, but they never expected that one of the Rebel pilots would be trained in the Force. That's because Vader and the Emperor had proudly declared to the galaxy that the Jedi had all been exterminated. Why implement a safeguard against a supposedly non-existent hazard? But it turns out that a Jedi DID survive the purge, and trained a young Rebel pilot in the Force. Had the engineers known there were force-trained pilots out there, they might have put in some anti-Jedi countermeasures. But Vader and the Emperor didn't want to admit their purge wasn't thorough. For shame.

It probably wouldn't have hurt to add some twists and turns to the exhaust pipe instead of making it a straight line.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Hell or just put a big ole grate across it, hell they could build a entire cage over it like the ones that cover up AC units on the out side of a house.

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...
Would a grate really stop a torpedo?

And didn't the torpedo create a chain reaction that destroyed the space station, nullifying the hypothetical twists and turns?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
They could have put a 90-degree bend right at the top - oh, wait, they did. It's not the designer's fault that torpedoes can apparently turn like loving light cycles.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So is the last shot of Empire being altered a new change, or was that on the previous versions as well?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

So is the last shot of Empire being altered a new change, or was that on the previous versions as well?

Oh boy, have they done something to that too? It's one of my favorite Star Wars moments. :smith:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

PriorMarcus posted:

I recall a friend who saw it on TV for the first time (post SE) thinking the final shot of the camera tracking from the window as the frigate panned off was a CGI shot.
I can't really think what could be changed in that unless they've gone back to fix the rear projection on the model.

Eddit : Here's a pictorial on what's been changed, nothing in the final scene of Empire.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 11, 2011

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

from that link:

quote:

From this still image it might look like the scene has remained unchanged for the Blu-ray release, but this is not the case. Approximately ten frames have been shaved off of the shot immediately before Greedo fires, making it appears as though Han and the bounty hunter shoot at roughly the same time. It’s still not great but it’s the best version since the original.

:unsmith:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

WebDog posted:

I recall a friend who saw it on TV for the first time (post SE) thinking the final shot of the camera tracking from the window as the frigate panned off was a CGI shot.
I can't really think what could be changed in that unless they've gone back to fix the rear projection on the model.

Eddit : Here's a pictorial on what's been changed, nothing in the final scene of Empire.

Well a few places are running this as an official still:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

Well a few places are running this as an official still:

That's an old-rear end promotional still or something. I swear I've seen that picture long ago.

Zat fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 11, 2011

dogflaps
Apr 17, 2008
My girlfriend just showed me that she's had the Star Wars Blu Ray boxset hidden in her cupboard for the last 2 days. I can't open it until my birthday on the 24th.

This will be the longest 13 days of my life.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Another official still from the Star Wars blu-rays:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dogflaps posted:

My girlfriend just showed me that she's had the Star Wars Blu Ray boxset hidden in her cupboard for the last 2 days. I can't open it until my birthday on the 24th.

Gonna spoil it for ya. Darth Vader is Luke's father. Sorry.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

dogflaps posted:

I think your GF hates you.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

arioch posted:

Another official still from the Star Wars blu-rays:

He was supposed to say "Yes", Lucas! :argh:

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Gonna spoil it for ya. Darth Vader is Luke's father. Sorry.

Wow. Mods?

Paradox86
Apr 30, 2005

It's pretty simple. A friend and I agreed that birds are pretty pissed that they don't have arms. We decided this should be fixed.
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/bcbb7bb253/george-lucas-adds-more-darth-vader-dialogue

I think it adds a much needed explanation for Vader's motivation

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

angrylinuxgeek posted:

from that link:

:unsmith:

The gap shortens with each new release. Give it 2-3 more revisions and we'll come full circle.

Course Jar Jar will be added to the Cantina "alien montage" but least we'll get what we bitched for.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

RagnarokAngel posted:

The gap shortens with each new release. Give it 2-3 more revisions and we'll come full circle.

Course Jar Jar will be added to the Cantina "alien montage" but least we'll get what we bitched for.

Eventually Greedo will be shooting at Han when hes talking to Luke and Obi-Wan.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Sebulba is in the Jabba's palace scene now, isn't he?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Someone once told me that you can actually see Mara Jade in Jabba's palace. Is it true?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

VaultAggie posted:

Someone once told me that you can actually see Mara Jade in Jabba's palace. Is it true?

In a manner of speaking. There's a blink-and-you-miss-it background dancer who was retconned to be Mara Jade.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Out of everything, what I find most surreal about the EU is that every single thing that ever had screen time is a hero whose existence was pivotal for the events shown in the movies. Nothing is mediocre.

Nothing. Even the Yeti that catches Luke in ESB is the leader of his group or something.

In a Galaxy with hundreds of trillions of people, we just had the luck to catch all the non-average joes on screen. It's really creepy when you think about it, because it's like everything around Luke turns into a huge conspiracy :tinfoil:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

NGL posted:

In a manner of speaking. There's a blink-and-you-miss-it background dancer who was retconned to be Mara Jade.

This actually isn't true. You're probably thinking of the white-haired dancer which is very briefly visible, but isn't supposed to be Mara. There were rumors before the special editions first came out that Mara/Arica would be added in, but never was.

She is in the NPR audio adaption, though. Threepio chats her up.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Elentor posted:

Out of everything, what I find most surreal about the EU is that every single thing that ever had screen time is a hero whose existence was pivotal for the events shown in the movies. Nothing is mediocre.

Nothing. Even the Yeti that catches Luke in ESB is the leader of his group or something.

In a Galaxy with hundreds of trillions of people, we just had the luck to catch all the non-average joes on screen. It's really creepy when you think about it, because it's like everything around Luke turns into a huge conspiracy :tinfoil:

That's why it makes more sense to me that the OT, in-universe, is a re-telling of a re-telling of re-telling of an epic hero legend. Everyone in the saga is important because countless of story-tellers have added to the original story.

In "reality", Luke was probably some two-bit soldier who tripped ans´d fell on his blaster, accidentally killing Darth Vader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

Pesky Splinter posted:

I would be fine with the ROTS make-up if he actually had a neck and didn't look like he suddenly gained 200 lbs. The guy looks huge in some shots.