Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Newtie
Dec 4, 2008

Kruller posted:

My only complaint is the screensavers. I'd really prefer it if it'd show the cover of the book you have loaded instead of the default rotating ones, or use the defaults if you're not loaded into a book. I'm getting pretty tired of seeing Emily Dickinson's ugly mug, although Virginia Woolf kinda makes up for it ;-*

I could jailbreak it, but I dislike jacking with my electronics.

The Kindle jailbreak & screensaver hack is surprisingly painless. I've replaced all the default screensavers with art from this site. Also lots of LCARS backgrounds, because the Kindle is basically a PADD & I'm exactly that kind of nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Is there a way to make the home screen only list collections? I started making collections to try to tidy it up a bit so I don't just have a list of 200+ books to scroll through, but it seems pointless as it just lists the collections in addition to the books.

Or failing this maybe only list authors rather than listing every loving book?

Edit: just realised that this is an e-reader thread not a Kindle thread. I'm using a Kindle.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

All my books move under the collection I put them in. Are you sure you're adding them to the collection properly?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Newtie posted:

The Kindle jailbreak & screensaver hack is surprisingly painless. I've replaced all the default screensavers with art from this site. Also lots of LCARS backgrounds, because the Kindle is basically a PADD & I'm exactly that kind of nerd.

I jailbroke mine, but I get a weird error when I try and install the screensaver hack from that very article. Gets about an 8th of the way done and error U007 pops up. Disappointing.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

BELL END posted:

Is there a way to make the home screen only list collections? I started making collections to try to tidy it up a bit so I don't just have a list of 200+ books to scroll through, but it seems pointless as it just lists the collections in addition to the books.

Edit: just realised that this is an e-reader thread not a Kindle thread. I'm using a Kindle.

If you've got it in collection view (scroll to the top of the main screen to select a view), then books in a collection shouldn't be listed outside of their collections. Highlight the collection, push right, then add/remove items and put check marks next to the ones you want to add, and then click done when you're done.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Ara posted:

If you've got it in collection view
:doh:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Newtie posted:

I've replaced all the default screensavers with art from this site.

This site is just glorious. Those are some of the best Kindle screensavers I've ever seen.

Personally, I'm using the Gustav Dore etching screensavers another goon was kind enough to post in the other e-reader thread.

Looks like I'm going to have to mix em up a bit.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

Newtie posted:

Thanks for the links! From the screen saver site, I got curious and then the hack took all of 5 minutes!

As for your U0007 error Chas McGill, I don't know but past experience with things like these has always been corrupted files. I had to hit a couple mirrors to get one to download, you might try to re-grab the files.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Poopinstein posted:

Thanks for the links! From the screen saver site, I got curious and then the hack took all of 5 minutes!

As for your U0007 error Chas McGill, I don't know but past experience with things like these has always been corrupted files. I had to hit a couple mirrors to get one to download, you might try to re-grab the files.

That was a good idea, but I ended up realising that I'd installed the old jailbreak file. I needed to use the specific 3.2.1 file. That must have been behind the error. Time to go wild with screensavers!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
EDIT: gently caress, wrong thread, sorry.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 9, 2011

Jimbola
Sep 27, 2005

I say, what a dapper young fellow.
Fun Shoe
Wait, are you guys saying that putting a kindle into sleep mode doesn't drain the battery any faster than switching it off?

I've been turning it off by holding the switch for ages since I bought it...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jimbola posted:

Wait, are you guys saying that putting a kindle into sleep mode doesn't drain the battery any faster than switching it off?

I've been turning it off by holding the switch for ages since I bought it...

It will go to sleep mode automatically after 5 mins of inactivity. You never need to turn it off really.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

As far as I know, as long as you have Wireless and/or 3G turned off it doesn't use any power in sleep mode. It might not use any power with those turned on but in sleep mode but its best to just leave those off if you're not using them anyway.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Do most of you Kindle people have the official Amazon case for the Kindle? I'm going on a long trip and I figure I should get a nice leather case, but I don't want to shell out $40ish for ones. What do you guys think of this one; seems to be well reviewed

http://www.amazon.com/CrazyOnDigital-Generation-Protector-wristband-included/dp/B00428C1I0

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Drunk Tomato posted:

Do most of you Kindle people have the official Amazon case for the Kindle? I'm going on a long trip and I figure I should get a nice leather case, but I don't want to shell out $40ish for ones. What do you guys think of this one; seems to be well reviewed

http://www.amazon.com/CrazyOnDigital-Generation-Protector-wristband-included/dp/B00428C1I0

The lighted official cover I bought fits very well and I couldn't go without the light, I don't think.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yes, just about all of us get the official amazon kindle case. The only question to ask yourself is whether the light is worth the extra money or not. I don't use the kindle in the dark to read, so I got the normal case.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Drunk Tomato posted:

I own this, and it's not a bad cover for its price. But I've also taken to making my own covers, because most covers don't work as a stand (I like reading during breakfast and my lunch breaks).

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I have the official lighted case but I think if I had to buy it over again I'd probably go for a cheaper one. It fits nicely and everything but £51 is extortionate since the Kindle itself only cost me £112, half the cost of the device for a bit of leather and a lovely light. Even the non-lighted one is about twice as expensive as it should be. I'd say try out a non-official one, they can't be that bad.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I've been using this as my screen saver. I don't remember where it's from, though:

BELL END posted:

As mentioned above you can just use Collection mode, but that's kind of a lovely solution (at least to me) because collection mode lists things based on how new they are or the last time you opened them rather than alphabetically.

If you use the title sort view you can use characters to force your collections to show first. There's a list of them floating around somewhere but if you prefix a collection with (,[, or { it will put them at the top (in that order).

There's a plug-in for Calibre called Kindle Collections that you can have auto generate collections for you based on any meta-data field you want which will add a prefix to the collection names if you tell it to.

That's probably (unfortunately) the easiest way to have it list books by author. I have it set to make collections named {Genre: Author} as well as using a column I mostly leave empty for manually setting things to a higher sort order like [Currently Reading] or whatever I want to see right at the top of my list. It's kind of a bitch, and it took me a lot longer than it should have to figure out how to sort things in a semi-reasonable fashion, but it's working.

However you end up sorting books I'd strongly suggest the plug-in. Making collections by hand is a whore if you have more than a handful of books. You can find it here.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 10, 2011

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
My Kindle just broke :smith: This is a severe disappointment to me, as I'm working a 14 hour shift where I have nothing to do but read. Imagine my surprise when I call Amazon and they say they'll immediately ship a replacement to me with two day shipping and I just have to ship the old one back in 30 days. This is pretty good customer service!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Drunk Tomato posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Latest-Generation-Kindle-Reader-Leather/dp/B004GKBJR8/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315687634&sr=1-24

I got a really good one for pretty cheap(Like $10), I think someone linked it in the thread, so I'll try to find it.

Edit: Found it

Coffee And Pie fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 10, 2011

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

My Kindle just broke :smith: This is a severe disappointment to me, as I'm working a 14 hour shift where I have nothing to do but read. Imagine my surprise when I call Amazon and they say they'll immediately ship a replacement to me with two day shipping and I just have to ship the old one back in 30 days. This is pretty good customer service!

Yeah, Amazon are pretty awesome and Kindles get broken pretty easily. I've had a replacement too and know plenty of people who have as well.

Spug fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 10, 2011

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

Amazon changed the design on the official cover... the band got moved closer to the edge. I don't like it.

Now I'm really, really glad I have the old lit cover.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.
Also don't forget that you find pretty awesome stuff on Etsy. Most of the sellers there will request you tell them what ereader you have and they'll make a case to custom fit yours. I just bought one of these and I had the seller make the pocket a bit smaller.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

dont eat a carb posted:

Amazon changed the design on the official cover... the band got moved closer to the edge. I don't like it.

If anybody wants the older one, go to target or best buy, I bet they still have it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

dont eat a carb posted:

I guess Amazon UK hasn't changed it yet, since mine seems to be one of the old style.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Wallet posted:

I've been using this as my screen saver. I don't remember where it's from, though:

Looks like something by Colin Thompson.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

Looks like something by Colin Thompson.

You're right, it is.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Chas McGill posted:

I jailbroke mine, but I get a weird error when I try and install the screensaver hack from that very article. Gets about an 8th of the way done and error U007 pops up. Disappointing.
Find my last posts in the e-reader thread in Inspect Your Gadgets. It can be overcome, it's just a little tricky.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Is the Amazon tablet for sure coming out within the next month or two? My old e-reader is hosed completely but I also want an android tablet. I assume it can suffice as my main e-reader?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Space Pussy posted:

Is the Amazon tablet for sure coming out within the next month or two? My old e-reader is hosed completely but I also want an android tablet. I assume it can suffice as my main e-reader?

Only if you like reading on LCD screens.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Some good news:

quote:

Amazon.com Inc. is talking with book publishers about launching a Netflix Inc.-like service for digital books, in which customers would pay an annual fee to access a library of content, according to people familiar with the matter.

It's unclear how much traction the proposal has, the people said. Several publishing executives said they aren't enthusiastic about the idea because they believe it could lower the value of books and because it could strain their relationships with other retailers that sell their books, they said.

Amazon has told publishers it is considering creating a digital-book library featuring older titles, people familiar with the talks said. The content would be available to customers of Amazon Prime, who currently pay the retailer $79 a year for unlimited two-day shipping and for access to a digital library of movies and TV shows.

Amazon would offer book publishers a substantial fee for participating in the program, people familiar with the proposal said. Some of these people said that Amazon would limit the amount of books that Amazon Prime customers could read for free every month.

It is unclear whether any publishers have signed on. Publishing executives would rather have people buy their books, and they are concerned that participating in the program could create the impression among consumers that books have little inherent real value. "What it would do is downgrade the value of the book business," said one publishing executive.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904265504576565040210224696.html?mod=WSJ_Tech_LEFTTopNews

Prime is looking even better now.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

It's great customer service. Same thing happened to me, and for the 30 days I lent the slightly broken Kindle to a lady friend. During that time things got hairy between us and she refused to give it back. After two months I finally got it back from her, and the Amazon support girl I called the other day said I could still send it back and get my $190 back.

She said she understood how crazy ex's can be and told me good luck and with her in the future.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Sperg Victorious posted:

Some good news:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904265504576565040210224696.html?mod=WSJ_Tech_LEFTTopNews

Prime is looking even better now.
I got to renew for $30 and I don't know when or if overdrive will ever work for the kindle, so yes, this is a great deal.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
That new touch screen Nook actually looks pretty nice in person. I like the simplicity of it. I have a K3 and I love it but I'm thinking about picking up the Nook for my wife.

My only complaint is I think its a little overpriced. It seems like a $99 device to me.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Kaddish posted:

That new touch screen Nook actually looks pretty nice in person. I like the simplicity of it. I have a K3 and I love it but I'm thinking about picking up the Nook for my wife.

My only complaint is I think its a little overpriced. It seems like a $99 device to me.

Interesting. I have a Nook Touch and have spent time with a K3, and I'd say the Kindle, not the Nook, is overpriced at this point; the Touch responds quicker and the screen quality looks better to me. I wonder what causes the difference in value perception.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
When I was looking at eReaders, I compared specs, battery life, support, cost, etc., and I went with the kindle mostly because it was cheaper without being poo poo and the customer support is above and beyond what I would expect of a $100 device.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

tzirean posted:

Interesting. I have a Nook Touch and have spent time with a K3, and I'd say the Kindle, not the Nook, is overpriced at this point; the Touch responds quicker and the screen quality looks better to me. I wonder what causes the difference in value perception.
Doesn't the Nook Touch cost over twice what a K3 costs?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

syphon posted:

Doesn't the Nook Touch cost over twice what a K3 costs?

No, it's exactly the same as the Kindle 3 (without the special offers). You're thinking of the Nook Color probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
The K3 wifi and the nook touch are both $139.

edit: beaten

• Locked thread