Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Tiara posted:

Small question here: I've lost my wallet. My wallet had my driver's license in it. If I get pulled over by a police officer while I'm driving, and I'm unable to produce my driver's license, what is the worst that they could do? I live in Australia, Victoria.

Victoria does not require you to carry your license at all times, as long as you're over 26 years old and not a P-plater.

From the Vicroads website:

If your current Victorian licence or learner permit card has been lost, stolen or damaged, you must apply for a replacement card as soon as possible.

If you are a probationary licence holder, under the age of 26 years or have a heavy vehicle licence, you must carry your licence at all times when driving or penalties will apply.

You should still get a replacement though, as it will make life much easier if you do get pulled over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
Can anyone recommend a good, visual book on the basics of graphic design?

My new job requires me to lay out adverts and bulletins, which is something I have no formal education in - so I want something that will tell me the basic 'rules' like avoiding duality, and give some commentary on examples of good graphic design. Something that's available second hand would be nice.

So far I'm liking this one:

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 11, 2011

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Capt. Morgan posted:

I think this is what you're talking about.

http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/

Huh. It says I'm a 65+ year old man. I'm actually a 27 year old woman. That's depressing.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Zegnar posted:

Can anyone recommend a good, visual book on the basics of graphic design?

Check out Design Elements: A Graphic Style Manual by Timothy Samara - I've found it quite helpful. (The reviews chiding the design of the book seem to be referring only to the Amazon preview; the actual book is quite legible.)

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
If you were hungry and couldn't afford food how long could you survive by just eating newspapers?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Florida Betty posted:

Huh. It says I'm a 65+ year old man. I'm actually a 27 year old woman. That's depressing.

Where do I find that info? I am on the page and I just see a list of my categories.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I have these two cathegories in the bottom:

Demographics - Age - 25-34
Demographics - Gender - Male

I am only 22, but I'm way more mature than that! Faggots!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

cloudchamber posted:

If you were hungry and couldn't afford food how long could you survive by just eating newspapers?
Probably not very long. Modern newspapers use a soy-based ink, rather than oil-based, so hypothetically there's some protein in that, but it may be toxic. Most of the newspaper is undigestible fiber.

You would stay very regular, though.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

FactsAreUseless posted:

Probably not very long. Modern newspapers use a soy-based ink, rather than oil-based, so hypothetically there's some protein in that, but it may be toxic. Most of the newspaper is undigestible fiber.

What about eating A4 printer paper?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

cloudchamber posted:

What about eating A4 printer paper?
You probably won't last much longer than if you try newspaper. I'll bite: why are you asking?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I remember seeing some pictures posted that were before color photography, but were converted to color. Is there somewhere that explains how this is done, and perhaps a site that has a collection of these? The ones I remember seeing were mainly from WWII.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

actionjackson posted:

I remember seeing some pictures posted that were before color photography, but were converted to color. Is there somewhere that explains how this is done, and perhaps a site that has a collection of these? The ones I remember seeing were mainly from WWII.

Color photography is actually way older than you think. It only became practical and widely used in the last 60 years or so. The film was patented in 1907 or something, but color photography existed a couple of decades before then.

There are several interesting original color photos of WWI soldiers:
http://www.worldwaronecolorphotos.com/

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 11, 2011

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I'm trying to find a person I met a long time ago, before the internet became such a huge thing. She's gotten married since then so all I have to go off of is her maiden name, which (as it turns out) is pretty stupidly common. Are there any good resources online to dig up current contact information in such a case? Facebook doesn't discriminate well between maiden name and married name, or at least I don't know how to make it search for maiden names particularly.

edit: never mind, my google-fu is stronger than I thought.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 11, 2011

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
This is as much advice as it is a small question, but oh well.

The weather finally turned awesome where I am, which means I can turn off the AC and just leave the windows open all day. It also means that the unemployed/retired lady right below me can sit on her patio and chainsmoke all day. Her patio is directly below mine, so whenever she starts smoking, I get the lovely scent of cigarette smoke in my apartment. I don't think asking her to quit smoking is going to be productive, so... other ideas? Anything simple I can do here?

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Can anyone recommend a social deal aggregator?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Blenheim posted:

About AP exams

I think asking around the local high school is going to be a waste of your time. It would be better to ask at the division office, but even then, I don't think you'll be able to write any exams through the secondary school system (granted it's possible your area does things very differently than anywhere I've been).

I'm pretty certain your only options are going to end up being,
a) complete the 2 term intro physics course
b) challenge physics course for credit under the assumption that you've already covered the course material
c) complete the required physics material at some other location that your college will give you course credit for, ie. another college, maybe online.

---

What is the name of the board game where each player takes turns reading a card with several short unrelated words strung together, that when pronounced sounds like a meaningful phrase?

cap ten plan net tease arrow = Captain Planet he's a hero
(lame example but you get what I mean)

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Doc Faustus posted:

The weather finally turned awesome where I am, which means I can turn off the AC and just leave the windows open all day. It also means that the unemployed/retired lady right below me can sit on her patio and chainsmoke all day. Her patio is directly below mine, so whenever she starts smoking, I get the lovely scent of cigarette smoke in my apartment. I don't think asking her to quit smoking is going to be productive, so... other ideas? Anything simple I can do here?

Unless you wanna lawyer up and see if you can get her for perpetrating second-hand smoke on you, all you can do is close the window.

I used to have the same problem when my next-door neighbors would sit on their front porch and burn through packs and packs of cigs every summer evening. I solved the problem by (A) closing the window on the side nearest them, (B) eventually getting A/C in my house so the windows could be closed, and (C) having one of them die of cancer, one of them go into a nursing home, and the last one go and live with his uncle.

None of those are really solutions for you except for closing the window and turning the A/C back on.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I bought an 18 foot metal frame pool this summer and just took it down today. (never forget)

I've got the vinyl liner rolled up as best as I can and its about the shape of a 7x2.5 foot burrito or large size dead mobster rolled in carpet.

What should I do to store it? I'm thinking of rolling it in a tarp tying it shut and storing outside behind my shed. It will get below freezing and it will get snow and ice on it, is that going to be ok? Will mice or other creatures gently caress with it and chew a hole though it?

I can put it in the shed or the garage if I really need to but don't want to unless it's a bad idea to keep outside since it takes up so much room.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 12, 2011

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

Pweller posted:

What is the name of the board game where each player takes turns reading a card with several short unrelated words strung together, that when pronounced sounds like a meaningful phrase?

cap ten plan net tease arrow = Captain Planet he's a hero
(lame example but you get what I mean)

Mad gab

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?
I tried to screw a CFL bulb out of a socket to replace it recently and the casing on it cracked open. Am I going to die of mercury poisoning or will I be okay?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Mad gab

Yes thank you

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Xerin posted:

I tried to screw a CFL bulb out of a socket to replace it recently and the casing on it cracked open. Am I going to die of mercury poisoning or will I be okay?

The plastic casing doesn't contain mercury, only electronics. But you can get a pretty nasty zap from them, even if it's "off", thanks to the magic of capacitors. Just don't touch any exposed wires/electronics inside it.

If the tube itself broke, you should read this helpful guide.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Doc Faustus posted:

Get a couple of box fans for your windows on that side and point them so they blow air out. This only works if you have a window on another side where fresh air can come in though.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Wagonburner posted:

I bought an 18 foot metal frame pool this summer and just took it down today. (never forget)

I've got the vinyl liner rolled up as best as I can and its about the shape of a 7x2.5 foot burrito or large size dead mobster rolled in carpet.

What should I do to store it? I'm thinking of rolling it in a tarp tying it shut and storing outside behind my shed. It will get below freezing and it will get snow and ice on it, is that going to be ok? Will mice or other creatures gently caress with it and chew a hole though it?

I can put it in the shed or the garage if I really need to but don't want to unless it's a bad idea to keep outside since it takes up so much room.

I am the wrong person to ask about storing pool liners, since I am the person who twice stored two different 2-foot pool liners in the garage in big, wadded-up heaps. Which did not work well. I am a slow learner, I guess.

However, there is this.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5305953_store-swimming-pool-liner.html
http://www.levelgroundpool.com/pool-storage.html

It definitely needs to be spread out, dried out, and clean, then you carefully roll it up and then store it under cover; not in the sun, not where it will be frozen. Critters will possibly use it for shelter if you just toss it behind the garage. It needs to be inside, yes. Clean and dry and tidily rolled up. It's vinyl, which even at the best of times is not the sturdiest of plastics, and which is not happy if it's exposed to high heat, sun, or freezing.

Since you're talking about a proportionately more expensive pool, I'd take the trouble to store it properly. Mine was just a Wal-mart special.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Fig Newton posted:

However, there is this.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5305953_store-swimming-pool-liner.html
http://www.levelgroundpool.com/pool-storage.html

It definitely needs to be spread out, dried out, and clean, then you carefully roll it up and then store it under cover; not in the sun, not where it will be frozen. Critters will possibly use it for shelter if you just toss it behind the garage. It needs to be inside, yes. Clean and dry and tidily rolled up. It's vinyl, which even at the best of times is not the sturdiest of plastics, and which is not happy if it's exposed to high heat, sun, or freezing.

Since you're talking about a proportionately more expensive pool, I'd take the trouble to store it properly. Mine was just a Wal-mart special.

2nd link is awesome thanks. It's already dried and cleaned. Needs to be away from weather so I guess so garage it is. It even said a pool's been destroyed by mice so I guess that fear of mine wasn't totally off. Now do I build a big box like that or not, I've never seen a mouse in the garage but at least a big box would keep it clean and could be a table/shelf of sorts for other things as long as it's taking up space.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 12, 2011

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Musicians help!! This is a bass guitar cover of Something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpwc-sXKgtk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

How is he playing the part at 2:42? As in, what does the tab look like after 9-10-9-7 on the G and 10-9-7-9-7 on the D part?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wasn't there a legal advice subforum? Did it get deleted, did I just imagine it or am I just blind? I can't find it anywhere.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

NESguerilla posted:

Wasn't there a legal advice subforum? Did it get deleted, did I just imagine it or am I just blind? I can't find it anywhere.

Nopw, it never existed. Perhaps you're thinking of the legal advice megathread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeah, that was it. Thanks.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

How is he playing the part at 2:42? As in, what does the tab look like after 9-10-9-7 on the G and 10-9-7-9-7 on the D part?

I don't have a guitar near me, but isn't it

code:
----------------------
-7--------------------
-------0---3-4---5----
-----0----------------

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, that looks different from what I have. I don't have my guitar with me either, but I'll try it out. Thanks

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Is Chris Rock going to do another stand-up routine in the future? I can't get enough of his material.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007
Does anyone know if UPS sends out multiple waves of delivery trucks on a given day? I've had a package that was estimated to arrive on Friday and the tracker says it's still sitting in the depot that packages usually go "out for delivery" from... since Friday.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

Is Chris Rock going to do another stand-up routine in the future? I can't get enough of his material.

Yeah, but he's moving on from "What's the difference between a white guy and a black guy?" jokes into the innovative realm of "What do you get when you cross a white guy and a black guy?"

Not really. I looked into it the last time I watched one of his old HBO shows. He seems to do a stadium thing about every 4-5 years, and if he even does it again it won't be for another couple years if that hods true. He was just on an episode of "Louie" though. He wasn't being hilarious, but it was great like all of them are.

Blarfo posted:

Does anyone know if UPS sends out multiple waves of delivery trucks on a given day? I've had a package that was estimated to arrive on Friday and the tracker says it's still sitting in the depot that packages usually go "out for delivery" from... since Friday.
Anecdotally: yes.
I've received two packages from two different trucks that came from the same depot within minutes of each other. I had similarly thought that my scheduled delivery wasn't going to arrive because I knew the regular driver had been out for hours and the package hadn't left when I'd checked earlier. I think one of them was out on some sort of run that was all the expedited shipments.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 12, 2011

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Blarfo posted:

Labor day weekend probably screwed things up a bit. If the driver for a given route gets a full load then the leftover packages get left behind unless they have another drive with a smaller route. If a driver manages to get done early then they'll probably get sent back out with them but unless it's an air package, it'll be held up a day or two. Right now is a pretty busy time of year for UPS with school starting. Kids shipping stuff home from summer camp, people ordering supplies, college students shipping their possessions to school, etc.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

FactsAreUseless posted:

What if you eat leaves and grass and pine needles? Can you live on it? I'm guessing yes but it'd be miserable.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Now that I've got Skype in my facebook, can I just exit my skype program and it'll work in the browser?

I'm sick of the random pop up which Skype are oblivious to (looking at their support forum where users were complaining of the same issue), and has only happened since the first upgrade after the MS buy out.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Knightmare posted:

What if you eat leaves and grass and pine needles? Can you live on it? I'm guessing yes but it'd be miserable.

No, you'd last a few weeks at best because there's not enough essential amino acids in any of those plants to sustain you. And even that is assuming you're getting adequate caloric intake from those greens. You'd eventually develop kwashiorkor before the inevitable vitamin deficiencies got to you.

Why are you asking this, anyway?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Looks like this to me
code:
G ---------------------------------
D ----0----------------------------
A ------0---3-5---5-----------7---8
E +---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+ (beats)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Knightmare posted:

The human gut has no way to digest items like those; also hay, straw, twigs, and newspapers. They are all primarily straight cellulose; species that evolved to eat them also evolved bacteria in their gut that can digest them and release the nutrients. But homo sapiens, not.

So you'd get no nutritive value from them at all. Historically speaking, during famines, people eat leaves, grass, and pine needles, just to have something in their empty bellies, and it never works to keep them alive, because they aren't digestible.