Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

Clinton1011 posted:

When Calder jokingly asked what's for desert Yoru Sulfur points out the corpses and says he will have to get it him self or something like that.

Calder asks him where desert is and Yoru says" Black Dow has it." I wonder how the" eating" aspect works. Do have to prepare it a special way, or can you just chow down and get super powers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Fly Molo posted:

I'm re-reading the books and one question stands out to me: how did Tul Duru and the rest survive their duels with Logen? I mean, "it's easier to divert the Whiteflow than to stop the Bloody-Nine."

Keep in mind that Logen barely survived the duels, too. I know that Logen spared them, but I can't remember if that was his decision or Bethod's.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

Bummey posted:

Keep in mind that Logen barely survived the duels, too.

Says a lot about his dozen doesn't it? Didn't Harding Grim run him through the chest with a spear or something? Hard lot.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

isochronous posted:

This post is from a few pages ago, but I just wanted to let you know that you quit reading right before the best parts of the entire trilogy. The first half of LAoK is pretty dull, but the second half is nuts.

I have since finished it and read Best Served Cold as well, which I liked a lot, though unevenly. There were completely terrible and uninteresting parts or characters but there were also really amazing characters and developments to balance it out and to keep me reading.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Bummey posted:

Keep in mind that Logen barely survived the duels, too. I know that Logen spared them, but I can't remember if that was his decision or Bethod's.

I think what he was thinking is that Logen went into "Bloody Nine" mode, but in that case, I doubt he would have spared anyone. So, to the dude who originally asked, I'd assume that in the duels Logen stayed as Logen and beat them without going all crazy nutso.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I know that at least during the duel with Grim he went bloody nine, When he was retelling the story they asked him how he won a duel with a spear through him and he said he couldn't remember. He then went on to tell how sometimes he goes crazy and kills everything but will forget what happens afterwards.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I guess that could be a potential plot-hole that we're not supposed to look too closely at. If Logen is confirmed as becoming the Bloody Nine during some of those goals, it's very unlikely he would show mercy at the end of his duels.

We know Logen was very very injured in some of the duels, so maybe he blacked out at the very end? (but if he did that, how would he be considered a merciful victor?).

I dunno, I guess a wizard did it.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

He went into bloody nine mode and then faded out of it into logen. Just like how he did it in 'The Blade Itself'.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I freaking love these books.

Bayaz is my favorite character. His transformation on the course of the series was in my opinion the most masterfully executed character change that I have ever read. From the primary force of good -> kind of annoying but still clearly a good guy -> okay, he's pretty ruthless, but it's not like he hurts innocents or anything like that -> hey, that isn't very nice...but maybe it's just necessary for the greater good -> wait what? -> WAIT, WHAT?! ->>>>>> holy poo poo, he is the most evil character in the series! :gonk:

It was beautiful. I don't actually mind the "Bayaz was behind it all! AGAIN!" ending of Heroes. He's thousands of years old. The most powerful being in the world most likely, the first of the Magi who engineered the deaths of both Kanedias and Juvens. He doesn't just scheme within the Union, he literally BUILT it and has been responsible of it's every important twist and turn. I think of him more as a force of nature then just an individual at the end of the books. A god, even. Of course he was behind it all.

My second favorite must be Yori Sulfur. I don't know, in this world of scheming and backstabbing it's interesting to see one guy who is absolutely 100% loyal and will stop at nothing to serve their master. Also, his transformation from funny and harmless weirdo to a complete loving monster was fascinating as well.

And the third best one is Logen Ninefingers, I probably don't need to expand on that point...I agree with whoever said that he shouldn't come back, his character arc was beautiful. I wouldn't mind reading about him and his dozen more, but it might just be too bitter(sweet?) after all that happened to them. :(

Oh, and I think his dozen were left alive because they were the only ones able to hold off against the Bloody-Nine long enough that he turned back into Ninefingers.

Edit: also, I think there is still potential opposition for Bayaz...we were told only about seven of the eleven Magis, and we only met five in the books.

1: Bayaz - First of the Magi
2. Khalul - Second, the Prophet
3. Yulwei - Presumed dead, if not, locked in the House of the Maker with Tolomei
4. Cawneil Useless, bitter
5. Zacharus Fifth of the Magi, kind of nuts, trying to make an Emperor out of some young general
6. Anselmi Died fighting Kanedias
7. Brokentooth Died fighting Kanedias

So that leaves Four Magis, presumably alive.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 30, 2011

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

syphon posted:

I guess that could be a potential plot-hole that we're not supposed to look too closely at. If Logen is confirmed as becoming the Bloody Nine during some of those goals, it's very unlikely he would show mercy at the end of his duels.

We know Logen was very very injured in some of the duels, so maybe he blacked out at the very end? (but if he did that, how would he be considered a merciful victor?).

I dunno, I guess a wizard did it.

I guess we can assume that Logen was a bit more in touch with his killing side back then, and maybe the Bloody Nine wasn't so thirsty. I still like to think Logen has more control than he really wants to admit, as I seem to remember him being coaxed out of it a few times.

Ferro manages to pull him out at least twice I believe. First after fighting a bunch of practicals and the second time in the caves after slaughtering shanka. It's been ages since I last read the books so I might be mistaken.

On the subject of Logen's return I'd like for Joe to keep hinting at Logen still being alive but never actually confirming it.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 30, 2011

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

3. Yulwei - Presumed dead, if not, locked in the House of the Maker with Tolomei

I really hope we see him again, he was my favorite of the magi.

"I go where I please and take those I wish with me"

You just know when that door was locked he vanished and his hiding somewhere in the tower.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yulwei is surely deader than a doornail.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NoneSuch posted:

Ferro manages to pull him out at least twice I believe. First after fighting a bunch of practicals and the second time in the caves after slaughtering shanka. It's been ages since I last read the books so I might be mistaken.

I would disagree on that point. In both of those scenes, The Bloody-Nine turns back into Logen because he has nothing to kill for a few seconds, he loses his rage, and his time is up. He was ready to flay Ferro alive (particularly for "stealing his kills") except that he lost his strength while she kept her distance. Given the opportunity, I doubt he'd hesitate to end her.

Yeah, Yulwei is a goner. I doubt Bayaz is ever going to unlock the tower unless he has an army of eaters at his back and The Divider in his hand (since I think that's the only thing that harmed her), so Yulwei is trapped indefinitely in The House with an unkillable murder-machine hunting him. And since he didn't simply teleport into the tower when the Magi were hunting Kanedias, somehow I doubt he can teleport out.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

Yulwei is surely deader than a doornail.

Or working with Tolomei to escape and add loving DEMONS to the already-horrible world these poor bastards inhabit.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Or working with Tolomei to escape and add loving DEMONS to the already-horrible world these poor bastards inhabit.

He seemed too good for that...maybe Tolomei tells him what an evil bastard Bayaz actually is though.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
These books are fantastic on many levels.

I'm halfway through Before They Are Hanged, and in terms of pure entertainment my favorite sequence just happened. When West and the wild men took on the scouting party, with West going apeshit, it was utterly amazing. The fight itself had that chaotic feel that Abercrombie does so well. Stumbling, grunting, elbows coming out of nowhere, random stabbing. The payoff that it built toward was even better.

Black Dow laughing? Grim paying no mind to the scene as he mutters about the quality of a coat he's looting? The insane scene directly following that, with Dow clapping West on the back and telling him he's not such a bad guy after all? Perfect.

I apologize if this has been discussed to death, but I'm avoiding all spoilers so as to not accidentally read anything past the point that I just read.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Well, finished Last Argument of Kings

Dogman is the only likeable character in the whole trilogy

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

tofes posted:

Re Dogman: I love the scene in The Heroes when someone calls Dogman a traitor and Black Dow is all "stfu he's the only one in this mess who hasn't changed sides". Then I thought about it and holy crap it's true.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

tofes posted:

Well, at least from those who are left alive at the end.

Jewlian
May 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

tofes posted:

Why no love for Ninefingers and West?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Jewlian posted:

Why no love for Ninefingers and West?

West is a good guy, even if he does have anger issues

The Bloody Nine is a pretty big rear end in a top hat after they get back from the edge of the world

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

tofes posted:

The Bloody Nine is a pretty big rear end in a top hat after they get back from the edge of the world

I don't really want any more from Logen's POV. I think we had enough of that, and Joe is a much better writer now than he was then. I'd prefer some Shenkt next, or Stranger Come Knocking. Eventually, we'll probably see Monza and Shiver's kid as a POV which could be really cool.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I hope we see more of Logen but not from his PoV and we as the readers don't know it till the end. Though any description of him would give it away.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I hope we never see Logen Ninefingers ever again. His arc ended perfectly and was fantastic. It'd be like Steinbeck writing grapes of wrath and including an alive lenny.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Do we know anything about where or what Crummock-il-phial is doing during The Heroes?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Clinton1011 posted:

Do we know anything about where or what Crummock-il-phial is doing during The Heroes?

He is up in the Hills, speaking to the moon.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

He is up in the Hills, speaking to the moon.

Probably a pretty good decision for a character in Abercrombie's books.

Jewlian
May 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

tofes posted:

I don't really recall anything Ninefingers did that earns him the title of "pretty big rear end in a top hat". He did kill some people as the bloody-nine but that's not really him.

BananaNutkins posted:

I don't really want any more from Logen's POV. I think we had enough of that, and Joe is a much better writer now than he was then. I'd prefer some Shenkt next, or Stranger Come Knocking. Eventually, we'll probably see Monza and Shiver's kid as a POV which could be really cool.
I must've missed it. Where does it say that Monza is pregnant with Shiver's child?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Jewlian posted:

I don't really recall anything Ninefingers did that earns him the title of "pretty big rear end in a top hat". He did kill some people as the bloody-nine but that's not really him.

I must've missed it. Where does it say that Monza is pregnant with Shiver's child?

I don't remember if there was any explicit confirmation, but they boned and it was hinted at.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Best Served Cold spoiler below.

At the end of Best Served Cold in a chapter in the PoV of Monza she mentions that she doesn't know if the child she is carrying is Shivers or that other dude who had himself crowned as king of Styria

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jewlian posted:

His insane bloodlust, even when not possessed, is what kicked off all of Bethod's efforts. He was a lunatic, fought for redemption, got it, and lost it. It's a good arc, but the dude is kind of a douchebag even if you let him off for stabbing Tul Duru and ol' whatshisface.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
For some reason I got the feeling that Stranger-Come-Knocking was the son of Crummok-ee-moon guy whatever, but I have nothing to base this on. The name Pip sounds really familiar, but its not ringing any bells for me.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

BananaNutkins posted:

For some reason I got the feeling that Stranger-Come-Knocking was the son of Crummok-ee-moon guy whatever, but I have nothing to base this on. The name Pip sounds really familiar, but its not ringing any bells for me.

All them mountain folk/wild men are related, if you know what I'm saying.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 6, 2011

Red7
Sep 10, 2008
Didn't Stranger-Come-Knocking come from the East? I thought Crummok-ee-moon was from the High Places.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Yeah, Stranger-Come-Knocking and his band are wild men from east of the Crimea river.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Easteneers as Crummock-il-phial likes to call them.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Bring back Logen!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

drat, I never even thought of Bayaz being an eater but rereading that it makes sense. Goddamn, that means he's basically as bad as Khalul, except he doesn't make actual slaves out of people (just technical ones). That theory about him being Glustrod doesn't actually seem so far fetched now.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I know I'm probably the only one that cares about these, but the SubPress cover for Last Argument of Kings:

Better than Before They Are Hanged, not as good as The Blade Itself. At least there are no oddly-shaped letters this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Why did they intentionally misspell argument