Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Okay, I did that. It worked this time. The Virtuous Sense rom was still really laggy and slow, so I ended up with CM7 anyway. No 4g, but I can live with that since it's fast and friendly. The only thing I miss over stock is that in stock I had 7 home screens but in CM7 there's only five. Is there a way to change that?

What's a good repository of themes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Godzilla07 posted:

Someone found a toggle for Beats audio in the HTC Music APK for the Sensation. It only activates itself when Beats headphones are plugged in, but it's been modded so that it works when any headphones are plugged in. Here's the link to a modded APK.

It's all software here. First impressions is it seems to actually work. However, I'll have to roll my own stuff whenever ICS CM comes out. There's a system-wide version of this too, but not sure if it works as well.

drat, this actually sounds pretty good.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mobn posted:

Okay, I did that. It worked this time. The Virtuous Sense rom was still really laggy and slow, so I ended up with CM7 anyway. No 4g, but I can live with that since it's fast and friendly. The only thing I miss over stock is that in stock I had 7 home screens but in CM7 there's only five. Is there a way to change that?

What do you mean "no 4G", HSPA+ works fine in CM7 on the Vision.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

mobn posted:

You can get themes for CM7 off of the market. I would suggest Honeybread, Cyanbread, or MutedBlues from the G2 Theming section on XDA. Default launcher on CM7 is ADW if memory serves. You should be able to change the amount of homescreens under menu>preferences>homescreen settings or some variant thereof.

VirtuousROM 2.0 tends to be a bit spotty on flashing in terms of smoothness. You might try flashing it again and not using an aftermarket launcher such as LPP, Go Launcher, or ADW. It really does tend to like to stick with Rosie. If you have any further issues, jump into #virtuousrom on irc.freenode.net and talk to CJWard. He is the user experience admin for the V-Rom Team and is quite knowledgeable.

CM7RC1 should definitely have 4G/Hspa+. Make sure your radio is up to date and you're in a coverage area. Flashing radios is fairly easy and can always be rolled back to whatever you currently have (probably the Pre-OTA radio 01.15). The radio thread is located here. Keep in mind each phone is different and may not like a particular radio, however I've had acceptable luck with the 4.15 radio posted on 8-8. Download it to your PC, rename it "PCIMG10", drop it onto root of your SD card. Boot into bootloader, click over to fastboot, it will flash, reboot your phone and you're good to go.

As for alternative ROMS other than the CM 6-7, Virtuous Team roms (Unity, Doubleshot, G-Lite, Vrom 2), you always have MIUI. The Miui.us release via Rom manager seems quite highly rated as does the Bulletproof MIUI, however MIUI has never really been my cup of tea so your mileage may vary. Sulimagic also makes some decent SenseUI variants however much of the time you will need to push the Desire Z Hboot.

Oh and one last thing, when booting into rom manager it is going to attempt to get you to update your clockwork recovery to 5.x.x. You will want to hold off on this for the time being as it is still rather buggy. Stick with 3.0.2.4

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 10, 2011

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

LastInLine posted:

What do you mean "no 4G", HSPA+ works fine in CM7 on the Vision.

Oh. All the XDA threads said that CM doesn't support 4g, and in all the settings I only see it able to be set to 2g or 3g. I know I got a 4g connection where I am right now on stock, but it's staying at 3g in my status bar. Do I just need to flash a new radio like Slopehead said? I'm using the newest nightly of CM7.

edit: Of course now that I've posted this, it decides to show H in the status bar for the first time. I guess coverage in my apartment is just spottier than I thought.

That just leaves how to get more homescreens in ADW. I've searched through every menu and I can't seem to find an option related to it. Is there a file I can edit somewhere on the phone to add homescreens?

I appreciate all the help. The info on XDA is so disorganized it's a bit hard to figure out some of these more niggling things.

mobn fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 10, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mobn posted:

Oh. All the XDA threads said that CM doesn't support 4g, and in all the settings I only see it able to be set to 2g or 3g. I know I got a 4g connection where I am right now on stock, but it's staying at 3g in my status bar. Do I just need to flash a new radio like Slopehead said? I'm using the newest nightly of CM7.
First off, ROMs don't change radios. You have the same radio with the same capabilities you had before. There might be a newer one to try, but the one you have is the same you always had.

Second, what T-Mobile calls "4G" isn't, it's HSPA+, which you're still getting. There's no distinction between HSPA and HSPA+ and the icon in the statusbar will show H when you're on it (which will be just as fast as the tower and phone can support).

As for ADW, I never figured it out either. To me it's incomprehensible.

Strom Thurmond
Jul 24, 2004

by XyloJW
So I rooted my Droid 2 while I was running Froyo. I downloaded all of the cool stuff in this thread (titanium backup, the ROM manager, etc), but never got around to actually using any of it. Then Gingerbread got pushed, and I updated, I guess not realizing that it would mess up all of the other programs.

Now I've gotten around to trying to play with my phone, and it's giving me all sorts of problems. When I try to use titanium back-up and busy-box, they say they don't have root access - I've tried updating them, tried fixing super-user (which gives me "package file was signed incorrectly error), tried using SU Update Fixer (which fails and tells me to try downloading and flashing an update.zip from androidsu.com)...I can't seem to get anything to budge.

Full disclosure, I'm learning as I go, so I don't really know what I'm doing. However, I'm really terrified about bricking my phone, and right now I'm about ready to back out of this whole business. Is there a way I can go back to Froyo and this poo poo will all just start magically working again?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm having a bit of trouble trying to modify a flashable zip and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong..

HTC added annoying zooming and shutter sounds to the latest rom for the evo3d, so someone on xda made this zip:
http://bit.ly/pOWhHK

which contains the htccamera.apk with the shutter click .ogg stripped out of res/raw

flashing that zip works fine, but they left in the zooming and beep.ogg's which are equally annoying. I've tried both extracting the zip, extracting the apk and deleting the remaining annoying ogg's and then recompressing both but the resulting .zip refuses to flash like the original.

i've also tried going into root explorer and replacing just the htccamera.apk with the repackged version with the missing ogg's and then setting proper permissions, but that also just causes the camera apk to vanish from the system..

what am I doing wrong here? all I want is camera apk without all the forced sounds

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

zer0spunk posted:

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to modify a flashable zip and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong..

HTC added annoying zooming and shutter sounds to the latest rom for the evo3d, so someone on xda made this zip:

which contains the htccamera.apk with the shutter click .ogg stripped out of res/raw

flashing that zip works fine, but they left in the zooming and beep.ogg's which are equally annoying. I've tried both extracting the zip, extracting the apk and deleting the remaining annoying ogg's and then recompressing both but the resulting .zip refuses to flash like the original.

i've also tried going into root explorer and replacing just the htccamera.apk with the repackged version with the missing ogg's and then setting proper permissions, but that also just causes the camera apk to vanish from the system..

what am I doing wrong here? all I want is camera apk without all the forced sounds

I would love this too. Also, the panorama and HDR features that HTC disabled for absolutely no reason can be enabled through that apk. I don't think I'd ever use HDR but I'd love to mess with panoramas.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
On the G2 (and t-mobile's network for that matter) the difference between 3G and 4G is a few pixels in an art resource somewhere.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I don't really want to get into a big discussion over the difference between 3g "4g" on tmobiles network, but for my own anecdotal evidence I see a several MB/S between 3g and Hspa+. Admittedly this depends on source load, signal level, and sunspots for god sake; but there is a discernible difference in speed.

As for ADW you might be limited to 5 homescreens, I'm not positive as I haven't really used it to any great extent.

Edit: Let's not get into the marketing discussion please. This thread is about rooted android, not how silly telecoms are.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 10, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

^^ There is a difference between 3G and HSPA, and the CM7 icons denote this. I think mobn just wasn't aware that the H icon and T-Mobile's 4G icon mean the same thing.

zer0spunk posted:

Sounds easy to fix. Try toggling signature verification in recovery and flash it. Once you change what's in the ZIP file, you change the signature and you can't flash it without toggling off the verification.

Alternatively, use this app to sign flashable ZIPs. I used it to sign a script that removes bloat from CM7 so when I flash the nightlies I still have room to flash dt-a2sd. Works perfectly. :)

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 10, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
CM7 alpha for Sensation/3D likely this weekend

http://twitter.com/#!/kmobs

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The cynic in me says it's going to be late evening on Sunday. :saddowns:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

900ftjesus posted:

While it's cool that we're going to get something soon, I kind of expect to have to wait a while longer for it to be usable. If it ends up being daily driver-worthy right off, that'd be awesome, but I really doubt it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Kreeblah posted:

While it's cool that we're going to get something soon, I kind of expect to have to wait a while longer for it to be usable. If it ends up being daily driver-worthy right off, that'd be awesome, but I really doubt it.
Sort of...

kmobs posted:

Only one real issue remains that blocks CM7 for Sensation from nightly status. We're really close guys. But no, I don't know when that issue will be fixed. All the credit belongs to toastcfh, Bumblebee, and +Ed Carrigan. +Tony Layher just got the device too, so he can have some credit also :P

FWIW, I've been using CM7 on the Sensation for a couple weeks now as my daily driver. It's the fastest phone I've ever used and we don't get those weird slowdowns that Sense gets. Everything is consistent (which is sometimes more important than pure speed, but in this case we have both)
No matter how hard I look I can't find a reference to what this show stopping problem is. I know there's been some issues with 1080p recording but that hardly seems like a huge problem.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
It's weird that it's a show stopper, but not a big enough one to keep him from using it as his daily. Adds more to the mystery.

Baffling.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

900ftjesus posted:

gently caress. Yes.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
I'm actually not that excited about CM7 for my EVO 3D. I'm assuming it won't support 3D and even if it does somehow, I actually like most aspects of Sense on this phone. What I'm looking forward to is CM7 for my firesale TouchPad.

Joans
Sep 14, 2004

mobn posted:

That just leaves how to get more homescreens in ADW. I've searched through every menu and I can't seem to find an option related to it. Is there a file I can edit somewhere on the phone to add homescreens?

Press Menu > Edit on the homescreen, then click the + in the corner to add screens. You can have up to 7.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I've been out of the Custom ROM game for a while, I was really happy with my Synergy ROM for a while, but now skype is loving me. What are the leading candidates nowadays for EVO 4G? CM7, MIUI?

Also, which ones actually support front-facing cameras on skype and gtalk apps?

Alucard fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 11, 2011

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Joans posted:

Press Menu > Edit on the homescreen, then click the + in the corner to add screens. You can have up to 7.

Perfect. That's kind of a dumb place to put that option considering everything else related to home screens is in the normal settings menu.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I'm actually not that excited about CM7 for my EVO 3D. I'm assuming it won't support 3D and even if it does somehow, I actually like most aspects of Sense on this phone. What I'm looking forward to is CM7 for my firesale TouchPad.

Yeah, same. I'm mainly looking for a rom that's just stock + extra features which seems to be Cleanrom right now.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Sort of...

No matter how hard I look I can't find a reference to what this show stopping problem is. I know there's been some issues with 1080p recording but that hardly seems like a huge problem.

Apparently that last big bug was audio related and it just got fixed.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

FlyingCheese posted:

Yeah, same. I'm mainly looking for a rom that's just stock + extra features which seems to be Cleanrom right now.

I was partial to Fresh on my EVO 4G before going to CM7. I hope it supports the 3D soon.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I was partial to Fresh on my EVO 4G before going to CM7. I hope it supports the 3D soon.

Fresh has indicated a 3D version in the pipeline, but it's been a while and nothing yet.

I'm trying out Cleanrom now, it's a lot like what Fresh did. No terrible theme, minimal add-ons, and no experimental performance enhancements. Mostly removing extra crap and some nice add-ons.

The new animations run smooth and are actually a nice addition. Definitely recommended if you want stuff like the GPS crosshairs and debug icons removed but don't need any extra fonts or awful colors.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1258543

CM7 alpha for the Sensation dropped. Make sure you grab gapps from the wiki.

Edit:

The current buglist:
-Recording 1080p video for a couple minutes causes a soft reboot
-Misc minor scaling issues
-Skype requires a speaker toggle for audio to work correctly
-Small issue where wifi calling FCs on boot for EU Sensations. This will be fixed.
-Bluetooth headset is untested because no one on the team has one. I don't know if it is a bug or not.

Edit again: First impressions -
- Stock keyboard is scaled a little tall. Easily fixed
- HOLY poo poo IS THIS FAST. I'm not talking first boot after wipe fast but seriously this thing screams. All that horrible jitteriness I had in Sense is gone.
- ADW is still poo poo.

Edit again:
-A2DP not only works it sounds way better than Sense.
-Camera is solid.
-CM LED flashlight doesn't work but camera flash does.
-Audio all works
-Not a single FC or hiccup so far.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 12, 2011

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
CM7 for EVO 3D

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1258541

KNOWN ISSUES:
- bluetooth borked for now
- nextflix has a security issue
- wimax broken for now
- keyboard all massive. i use Gingerbread keyboard from the market
- taking 3d images and video not working
- 3d pictures (mpo, jps, ect) do not display in 3d
- FFC takes pics upside down
- battery gauge wonky

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Lowen SoDium posted:

CM7 for EVO 3D

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1258541

KNOWN ISSUES:
- bluetooth borked for now
- nextflix has a security issue
- wimax broken for now
- keyboard all massive. i use Gingerbread keyboard from the market
- taking 3d images and video not working
- 3d pictures (mpo, jps, ect) do not display in 3d
- FFC takes pics upside down
- battery gauge wonky

That's about what I expected. I'm really looking forward to it, but I think I'll hold off until they get some of those issues taken care of. They're not too horrible, but I do use Bluetooth every now and again and I actually have WiMAX around.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

I cannot loving believe how fast this is. I don't even give a poo poo about all the stuff mentioned as bugs (since my camera is broken right now anyway).

Let's see how it handles for a single day of usage before I decide to commit though.

dohminator
Oct 5, 2004

They can take our dignity. They can take all the hot women. But they will NOT take our jobs. And they will NEVER take our store!
I'm currently running Liberty rom .8 on my droid x. If I want to go to CM7 nightlies now that it supports the GB kernel, do I have to SBF back and go from there, or can I just wipe everything and install CM7?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Is there way to change the contact system so that the individual ringtone I have set for a contact also rings when they send me a text rather than the default notification tone?

I'm trying out Handcent since it lets me pick individual notification tones for contacts, but Handcent is really ugly and I'd rather have it work off of the setting in Contacts rather than having to set a second, separate setting in my messaging service.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

dohminator posted:

I'm currently running Liberty rom .8 on my droid x. If I want to go to CM7 nightlies now that it supports the GB kernel, do I have to SBF back and go from there, or can I just wipe everything and install CM7?

He hasn't put the code out yet that supports the GB kernel. Nightlies have stopped for the X and there hasn't been a new one since 9/1, which is when he announced that he had the breakthrough.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

mobn posted:

Is there way to change the contact system so that the individual ringtone I have set for a contact also rings when they send me a text rather than the default notification tone?

I'm trying out Handcent since it lets me pick individual notification tones for contacts, but Handcent is really ugly and I'd rather have it work off of the setting in Contacts rather than having to set a second, separate setting in my messaging service.

Have you tried gosms?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rotaryfun posted:

He hasn't put the code out yet that supports the GB kernel. Nightlies have stopped for the X and there hasn't been a new one since 9/1, which is when he announced that he had the breakthrough.
Pretty sure it's because kernel.org is still down.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

nickhimself posted:

Have you tried gosms?

Nope, I'll give that a try. I'm still hoping there's some way I can just have people's notification rings auto-match the rings set in my contacts however, because I wasn't really dissatisfied with the stock sms app except for that issue.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Pretty sure it's because kernel.org is still down.
Quite likely, and it's annoying as poo poo.

Ironically, I've had no trouble finding Linux kernel source snapshots from mirrors (e.g., osuosl.org). But AOSP source code? Purged from the world.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Has anyone dealt with Asurion for a warranty claim on a rooted phone?

I have a claim out to replace my bolt, and I was planning on just flashing it to OTA and not playing with S on. Has anyone ever had trouble with them on a claim?

I am tying to decide if I should un-root too.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I'm still having this problem where the hard keyboard will randomly start acting like shortcuts, such as 'c' going to contacts instead of typing a letter. This was one of the reasons I flashed to a nonstock rom. This only seems to happen on gingerbread.

Is it possible to install the froyo version of the keyboard driver or interface to cm7 so I can stabilize my keyboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mobn posted:

I'm still having this problem where the hard keyboard will randomly start acting like shortcuts, such as 'c' going to contacts instead of typing a letter. This was one of the reasons I flashed to a nonstock rom. This only seems to happen on gingerbread.

Is it possible to install the froyo version of the keyboard driver or interface to cm7 so I can stabilize my keyboard?
I don't think so.

Is it possible you have a hardware problem? Something like that occurring on two different ROMs is difficult to imagine happening otherwise. You could flash a Froyo-based ROM to see if that's the issue. I'm sure if this was a Vision/G2 issue in CM7 I would've heard about it by now.