Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Indeed, the few days are gonna be a bitch for your body as it's healing from the violent impact. Rest vigorously. I wonder what'll happen with insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

the walkin dude posted:

Indeed, the few days are gonna be a bitch for your body as it's healing from the violent impact. Rest vigorously. I wonder what'll happen with insurance.

The guy in the GTO will probably be at least a little at fault. But seeing as how it was a rear end collision it's a very real possibility that Persh will see the higher percent of at fault on his report.

Persh, do you have any witnesses? That will help you the most with insurance because like the cops, they're going to try to blame you.

Persh
Sep 26, 2007

Do you see it?

Probably Hates You posted:

Persh, do you have any witnesses? That will help you the most with insurance because like the cops, they're going to try to blame you.

The only witnesses are the driver and passenger of the GTO. One of the cops now claims he was :airquote: in an undercover Forerunner (wtf kind of cop car is that) and was trying to catch me as I rode the wheelie to 100+ while racing the GTO from the Sonic farther back down the road. :airquote:

:allears: I know I'm a wheelie master, but a mile long wheelie on an SV?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
That's hilarious, especially since the SV has oil starvation issues related to doing wheelies for longer than a short blurp.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Persh posted:

The only witnesses are the driver and passenger of the GTO. One of the cops now claims he was :airquote: in an undercover Forerunner (wtf kind of cop car is that) and was trying to catch me as I rode the wheelie to 100+ while racing the GTO from the Sonic farther back down the road. :airquote:

:allears: I know I'm a wheelie master, but a mile long wheelie on an SV?

poo poo son, cop thinks you got skills!

Glad you're relatively ok. Heal up fast, and yes, I've heard rumors that the pickup design of the SV means long wheelies cause serious engine damage. Might be worthwhile getting a statement from a local dealership or mechanic to that affect. :v:

Berserkerduck
Sep 5, 2011

by T. Finn

Persh posted:

I was coming up in the middle lane of the feeder when my friends in the GTO in the right lane merged over into my lane RIGHT in front of me. I rear ended the gto going faster then it was. I started to endo as I saw i was about to hit the car and ended up flying over the car, hitting the hood with my head, blacking out, came to, the SV hit me, I blacked out again, came to again and i was rolling, so I stayed as limp as I could, blacked out again, came to to my friend Jon from the GTO picking me up and carrying me away from the SV which had caught on fire. Both are totalled, I have no broken bones somehow, just rash on both lower sides and a little on my left hand. I am in a lot of pain from the SV hitting me however.

I can walk with a lot of difficulty.

:smith:

I'm sorry you didn't hit your friend in the GTO a lot harder. For both of you.

Street racing is pretty stupid.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Berserkerduck posted:

Harsh words from an internet tough guy. GTFO.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Berserkerduck posted:

Were you there? Did you watch them race? Tell me how you have more info on this than the rest of us. If not: Hit the back of a truck plzkthx.

Berserkerduck
Sep 5, 2011

by T. Finn

schreibs posted:

Harsh words from an internet tough guy. GTFO.

Don't bother mate, it'll solve itself in a matter of minutes.

Been nice talking to you, but you ought to know that I never believed a word of those homosexual escapades between you and Sigtrap everybody seems to talk about at the moment. I hate slander.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Serious burns suffered ITT.

Persh
Sep 26, 2007

Do you see it?

Berserkerduck posted:

I already stated I wasn't racing. If we had been racing, why would the GTO have merged over? If it had seen a car in front of it, it would've known I would be beside it and just slammed on it's brakes. There was no race.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Persh posted:

undercover Forerunner (wtf kind of cop car is that)
I've seen all sorts of weird undercover cop cars. SUVs are not uncommon for this at all.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Persh posted:

I already stated I wasn't racing. If we had been racing, why would the GTO have merged over? If it had seen a car in front of it, it would've known I would be beside it and just slammed on it's brakes. There was no race.

Just wondering but what was your speed differential when they cut you off? That's some heavy damage. Very glad you are okay and moving around.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Berserkerduck posted:

Don't bother mate, it'll solve itself in a matter of minutes.

How much money have you spent on these forums now BoJ?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

That's a lot of minutes.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

I HATE CARS posted:

How much money have you spent on these forums now BoJ?

I think I counted 10 reregs a couple weeks ago, so at least $110 in accounts.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

AncientTV posted:

I think I counted 10 reregs a couple weeks ago, so at least $110 in accounts.
Yeah, but it's money well spent, if you're measuring in dB/$$.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Douchebaggery per dollar.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

M4rg4r1ne posted:

Douchebaggery per dollar.

Can't think of a better metric for SA overall.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
Welp, I lowsided the GS500 in Golden Gate Canyon in Colorado this weekend, here's what happened:

Some friends took me into the canyons for the first time, and they said just set whatever pace I was comfortable with, and take the corners at the posted speed level because some of them were pretty sharp. Pretty responsible folks, can't complain about that.

I ended up taking a blind corner a little faster than I was comfortable, and there was another sharp turn just after it. I got a little scared, straightened up and quickly put some brake on. I probably didn't take my hand off as I went into the turn and grabbed a little more during the turn. The bike slid out from under me and went into the mountain side (fortunately not the dropoff side!) into a patch of dirt.

I came out completely uninjured, and the bike only suffered a bit of cosmetic damage. My friends pulled up immediately after me, we got the bike shut off and pulled out of the dirt and chilled out for a few minutes before starting it back up. We were looking at all the gouges in the turn and the dirt in that corner, apparently that's a pretty popular place to go down. I immediately thought "I know I would have been fine if I had just leaned harder" :downsbravo:

Gear-wise, my gloves (AGV Dragon) are a bit scuffed but still servicable. The AGV Telluride pants are pretty much untouched, but the Joe Rocket Amotic jacket has some tears along the left arm where the armor sleeve is, so probably needs to be replaced. I'm pretty relieved at all this, because I was always afraid of how bad even minor crashes would hurt even with gear, and this didn't hurt at all. We put another glorious 50 miles of mountain road in after that so :v:

Takeaways:
1) When in doubt, lean more
2) Gear works
3) Slow the gently caress down on blind corners
4) Have to work on making sure I take my hand off the brake after I'm done with it. I know the MSF instructor pointed that out to me too.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Discomancer posted:

Welp, I lowsided the GS500 in Golden Gate Canyon in Colorado this weekend, here's what happened:

Some friends took me into the canyons for the first time, and they said just set whatever pace I was comfortable with, and take the corners at the posted speed level because some of them were pretty sharp. Pretty responsible folks, can't complain about that.

I ended up taking a blind corner a little faster than I was comfortable, and there was another sharp turn just after it. I got a little scared, straightened up and quickly put some brake on. I probably didn't take my hand off as I went into the turn and grabbed a little more during the turn. The bike slid out from under me and went into the mountain side (fortunately not the dropoff side!) into a patch of dirt.

I came out completely uninjured, and the bike only suffered a bit of cosmetic damage. My friends pulled up immediately after me, we got the bike shut off and pulled out of the dirt and chilled out for a few minutes before starting it back up. We were looking at all the gouges in the turn and the dirt in that corner, apparently that's a pretty popular place to go down. I immediately thought "I know I would have been fine if I had just leaned harder" :downsbravo:

Gear-wise, my gloves (AGV Dragon) are a bit scuffed but still servicable. The AGV Telluride pants are pretty much untouched, but the Joe Rocket Amotic jacket has some tears along the left arm where the armor sleeve is, so probably needs to be replaced. I'm pretty relieved at all this, because I was always afraid of how bad even minor crashes would hurt even with gear, and this didn't hurt at all. We put another glorious 50 miles of mountain road in after that so :v:

Takeaways:
1) When in doubt, lean more
2) Gear works
3) Slow the gently caress down on blind corners
4) Have to work on making sure I take my hand off the brake after I'm done with it. I know the MSF instructor pointed that out to me too.

Sup lowsided in a colorado canyon buddy :hfive:

I wasn't quite so lucky. Ended up wadding the new 690 SMC pretty good (by sumo standards anyway) but I came out relatively unscathed. Saturday evening I set off to hit some canyons then ride some jeep trails and camp up in the mountains. Took off out of Boulder and headed up to Lefthand Canyon. I was having a fuckin blast till I got to this nasty little blind decreasing radius little bastard:

Came in at what I figured would be an appropriate entry speed and boy was I wrong. Never ride faster than you can see... which on this thing wasn't very fast. I'd made a "vow" to myself that if I ever thought I wasn't going to make a corner, just keep leaning the bike over. Chances are there is going to be enough grip and cornering clearance left you'll have plenty of leeway and scoot through the corner just fine. I held true to my vow and once I realized how tight this drat thing was I just turned in harder. Wasn't trail braking hard, had decent form, wasn't tight on the bike...

Made it about 2/3rds of the way through the corner with the peg on the deck before the front decided it had enough. Completely lost the front end and went sliding across the road (guess I didn't hold true to my vow of not running wide after all! :saddowns: ). I was surprisingly calm when I went down, I remember audibly saying "godfuckingdamnit" mid-slide. The way I was headed up the canyon meant the bike went shooting off into the woods with me not too far behind it. I ended up stopping right on the edge of the road and popped right up. The bike fell off a ~10' drop and landed wheels uphill... just a few feet shy of making it into a creek :gonk:.

Being the weakling I am I couldn't get the bike uprighted with the wheels uphill. Tried spinning it around but I ended up with the thing dangerously close to the water so I kinda gave up. A passing (pedal) cyclist ended up stopping and helping me out. Thank you a ton, random biker dude! We got it upright and it started without too much fuss. Damage to the bike wasn't terrible all things considered, but it was pretty fuckered. The right handguard had rotated down sometime in the fall, the throttle cables pretty well destroyed leaving the bike with only~1/8th of throttle opening available, front brake lever snapped off at the perch, master cylinder pretty well shattered, right mirror proper hosed, left rear turn signal popped off but was operational and fixable.

After taking a look at the situation I realized I could probably ride the bike through the woods a ways and make it to a trailhead. Ended up doing just that, which was interesting having no front brake and basically no throttle. Got it out, thanked the cyclist profusely and managed to nurse the bike ~30mi back to my car/trailer.

My gear did its job well enough and I'm very glad to have had it on. Firstgear TPG Escape pants are pretty well trashed. The right knee more or less exploded and there's substantial damage on the hip and upper thigh area. The Firstgear Teton jacket came out with minimal damage to the right shoulder and forearm. A* SMX gloves are in ok shape, the CF knuckles on both gloves are rashed up but I did not notice any other structural damage in the gloves. The injuries I received due to my fuckup stupid crash were minor. I got a little rash on my right forearm and a bruised right hip. The jacket did not wear through so I'm not sure if it was just a friction burn from inside the jacket or it rode up enough to expose the skin. Hip bruising is minimal. As an aside, my now not-so-new Giant Loop Coyote bag withstood the crash well. The ballistic patch on the "leg" of the bag took the brunt of the damage and did not make it through the actual material of the bag.

First and foremost - DON'T RIDE FASTER THAN YOU CAN SEE. That was my number one issue, just riding too fast for the conditions. I'm still not completely sure how I lost the front with no warning, as my 625 would give all sorts of indications you were nearing the limit. The 690 just let go, fast and hard.

Secondly, I was extra dumb for riding anywhere near that pace when I wasn't with anyone. I'm glad there was enough people traveling that canyon that someone stopped and helped me out. I'm also glad there were FEW enough people traveling that canyon that I didn't hit oncoming traffic when I slid across the other lane into the ditch.

The bike can be fixed for relatively little money and more importantly I didn't get hurt bad at all. I'm super pissed at myself for crashing the poo poo out of a mint new-to-me bike that I had completely fallen in love with during my short time in CO.

Let my retardation be a lesson to you all. Save the dong riding for the track, kiddos.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I dropped my bike on myself in a parking lot because I don't know how kickstands work. Does that qualify me to post in here? Turns out my gear works great at 0mph. :v:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I used to always use the rule of thumb that if I hosed up entry speed just lean harder, but the I ground peg on a place I really didn't want to and scared myself shitless as there was oncoming corvettes full on canyon carving. I maintained lane just barely and pulled over at the next turnout and took a break.

I wasn't out intentionally pushing the limits in my peg scrape, I don't ever, just so happened that I really misjudged how much the road banked to the left as I made a right. It's now one of my favorite corners.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

needknees posted:

Sup lowsided in a colorado canyon buddy :hfive:

It's a distinguished club (between bikers and climbers, it seems like they're sending helicopters out there every drat day). Crashing aside, I hope you had a good time here before you had to go back to Iowa. Next time: more microbrews and less crashing. And that Ouray trip, because I haven't been to the million dollar highway yet either.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Loucks posted:

I dropped my bike on myself in a parking lot because I don't know how kickstands work. Does that qualify me to post in here? Turns out my gear works great at 0mph. :v:

Congratulations, you're officially a motorcyclist now.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

KARMA! posted:

Congratulations, you're officially a motorcyclist now.

Not until he rides off with a disc-lock on...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've never forgot to put down my stand, but I once witnessed a guy forgot to put his feet down at a light. Right next to a cop.

In a panic, got off, picked it up and rode right through the red light.
:v:

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Saga posted:

Thought I was the only dumbass who threw himself half over the handlebars on the way to work... Feels good to know that we're all forgetful idiots from time to time.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Next: drop your bike with a passenger.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

the walkin dude posted:

Next: drop your bike with a passenger.

Check. Unfortunately I dropped it because I pulled up too close to a drainage ditch and when I put my foot down there wasn't anything there. Cue Concours + two passengers + our stuff for a month upside down in a few inches of standing water. Getting it upright wasn't a whole lot of fun. But then we camped on the beach on Canadian Independence Day and everything was better, like every day of touring.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Saga posted:

I don't own a disc lock.

I did replace a regulator/rectifier, so I guess I'm officially a Suzuki owner. :v:

sewersider
Jun 12, 2008

Damned near Freudian slipped on my arse

Loucks posted:

I don't own a disc lock.

I did replace a regulator/rectifier, so I guess I'm officially a Suzuki owner. :v:

Rode with a disc lock once, never again, there's a good reason why it's bright yellow. Didn't drop it though, I just did a very obvious wobble in the maccas car park in front of a few people.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

sewersider posted:

Rode with a disc lock once, never again, there's a good reason why it's bright yellow. Didn't drop it though, I just did a very obvious wobble in the maccas car park in front of a few people.

I find that the stretchy cable thing works a treat (Kyptonite IIRC), the others not so much. I think Oxford had a little plastic pin that you were supposed to put in the ignition, but it tended to get lost. The cable's easy to just stick on the bar end as you stand up, and it stays with the lock.

I have a regular old disc lock too, but I use that in the garage only. If removing it's part of a routine, it's hard to forget. If you're out and about on the bike in different places, I find it's easier to forget it's on there.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Do you're guy's disc locks not have little reminder bands? Mine has a plastic loop that goes thru the lock, then I wrap on the clutch. I don't use the disc lock that often so it helps although for the most part I remember, just because I've parked my bike in an area/situation where I felt the need to use the disc lock.

That said, I still started away with it on one time, but it wasn't a big deal. I stopped with a clunk a foot away and realized my idiocy. How fast are you all jetting away? Hah

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I've got my disc lock secured on my right pillion peg and if I don't see that bright yellow hanging off of it, dread overcomes me.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I've tried to ride away with mine on twice, but I don't jet out at 50mph or anything like that, so it's no big deal. I make a habit now of inspecting several things before getting on anyways, like checking that my cargo net is clipped on and there's no locks on the wheels.

As for dropping the bike at 0mph (and for relevant content to the thread), I did that within 5 minutes of getting my very first bike, before I even knew how to ride it. I was just trying to push it into the back yard, lost balance, and down it went. My second bike, I found on CraigsList and went over for a test ride. I started to pull out of the dude's driveway, not noticing I was right on top of a big patch of wet leaves, and next thing I knew it was on the ground. Still ended up buying it though.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I keep a cable lock through my rear wheel and a disc lock up front from when I used to live in the hood. I don't have the stretchy cable as I've lost it, but I'm just so used to removing and applying two locks that I don't even think about it anymore.

Also, when I leave the house I leave the lock key in the disc lock where I park my bike in front of my car so finding the key reminds me to put it back on!

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 14, 2011

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I have a massive U-lock that goes over my tire and through the rear wheel of my scooter. I only once tried taking it off the kickstand with it attached. I knew what I had done right away as I couldn't move forward at all. I'm just glad I shut it off before the expansion pipe got hot enough to melt the rubber coating.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Was riding on some wet tarmac today, not fast at all and not really a problem; I've learned not to pay too much attention to how skittish the SRX feels (sometimes a bit more weight would be nice) and to just look and power through. This time though, saw this really slick looking, patched, area in a bend. Target fixation time, my stupid line of thought went "better see what I'll crash into if this goes wrong", started fixating on this reflector post at about the apex. Guess what was under my front wheel when I skidded to a stop in the mud and dropped the bike.

Only had to reattach the mirror stalks and my high vis jacket's got a tear in it, so I was lucky as heck; also I haven't had issues taking corners since, when I dropped the bike doing an U-turn during bike training, from that point on I kept dropping it over and over because I was afraid of just that happening, you know how it goes. Just have to learn your lesson and move on...

Edit: As the bike laid there I of course hit the kill switch, only to completely forget about it in my befrazzlement and proceed to try and kickstart the thing for 10 minutes

High Protein fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Dropped the bike today because I'm an idiot. I recently converted my SVS to naked and today was my first outing with bar-end mirrors. I've been commuting to work for about a week without mirrors and for some reason having mirrors again was just too distracting.

I was merging into traffic on the east side of the Ross Island Bridge (which is a massive clusterfuck at 8:30am) and checked my mirror and saw that there was a space open to merge into. I looked ahead of me to make the move and suddenly the truck in front of me was OH gently caress RIGHT THERE!! so I jammed the brake and dropped the bike at like 1mph. Apparently looking FORWARD is just as important as looking behind. I did fine for a week without mirrors and suddenly with a new shiny toy I can't be bothered to ride like a normal person.

Broke off the end of the brake lever and scuffed up the finish on my new mirror but it did pretty admirable in the crash, and folded up nicely. Biggest damage was to my pride having to pick up the bike in the middle of morning commute traffic. My frame sliders have probably paid for themselves twice over by now with just me being a total fool.

himajinga fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 22, 2011

• Locked thread