Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Konstantin posted:

I have to say one of the only parts of any of Pratchett's books that is obviously and specifically British is the discussion of currency in Making Money. I don't see how any American is supposed to understand this:

I'm an American and I understand most of it (and certainly enough to get the general gist that it cost more to make the money than the money is worth). I've heard all of those terms for money though I'm not sure I could come up with what all of them are worth. It is super-British though, that's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
It is a minor strike-back for all the times I have to read the word soda in anything.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Konstantin posted:

I have to say one of the only parts of any of Pratchett's books that is obviously and specifically British is the discussion of currency in Making Money. I don't see how any American is supposed to understand this:

The inefficiency of the mint is a central plot point. I think Pratchett would have done better just speaking in generic terms rather then throwing out a ton of very specific references that a huge chunk of his audience has no chance of understanding.

I am American, have never been to Britain, nor ever made any special effort to learn their money, and I still understood perfectly. First of all, it's not too hard to figure out what a "ha'penny" is - it's half a penny. By context, it's clear that "farthin'" is some smaller fraction of a penny; it hardly matters exactly what that fraction is. "Mite" is explicitly defined as half a farthin', so no problems there. I don't know what a "thruppenny" is but I don't particularly care, I've gotten the gist of the passage by now; I'd guess it's a three pence coin but I'm not sure. "Tuppenny" is pretty obviously a two pence coin.

So what's the loving problem?

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Nilbop posted:

How British people reading his books do you guys think have dealt with a farthing?

I suddenly curious about this.
Depends on what you mean by dealt with.

If you're asking how many have actually used them as currency then anyone over the age of about 50-55.

If you mean how many people have just seen or held one then a probably a decent percentage - there are literally millions still floating around in coin collections. I'm only in my 20s and my father has a biscuit tin full of them somewhere in the back of the garage.

If you simply mean how many British people know that a farthing is an old unit of currency worth a quarter of a penny - pretty much everyone.

Adeptus
May 1, 2009

Taratang posted:

If you simply mean how many British people know that a farthing is an old unit of currency worth a quarter of a penny - pretty much everyone.

I dunno. Knowing it as an old unit of currency, sure, but a lot of people probably have no idea how much these things used to be worth - I don't!

Personally I've seen a few old coins years ago, but I can't for the life of me remember what they looked like. I'm 24, for reference, and I've not seen ye olde currency in at least a decade.

Still, the point of the joke still works even if you don't know the real value of those coins. Making it too generic would lose the humour from the fact that there's a fairly ridicuolous number of odd coins with odd names and odd values floating around.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Terry Pratchett posted:

A European says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with me? An American says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with him?
I make no suggestion that one side or other is right, but observation over many years leads me to believe it is true.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

Adeptus posted:

Still, the point of the joke still works even if you don't know the real value of those coins. Making it too generic would lose the humour from the fact that there's a fairly ridicuolous number of odd coins with odd names and odd values floating around.

Exactly.

He makes it absolutely clear in the joke that the coins are costing more to make than they're worth. You could replace those words with totally invented words and it would still make sense in context.

I genuinely can't believe this would cause issues for anyone.

:psyduck:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Konstantin posted:

I don't see how anyone wouldn't understand it. It's about as obvious as jokes get.

America to Terry Pratchett: "Why do you insist on being British? Why isn't the book called The Color of Magic? I am so confused."

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Taratang posted:

Depends on what you mean by dealt with.

If you're asking how many have actually used them as currency then anyone over the age of about 50-55.

If you mean how many people have just seen or held one then a probably a decent percentage - there are literally millions still floating around in coin collections. I'm only in my 20s and my father has a biscuit tin full of them somewhere in the back of the garage.

I'm from Northern Ireland. I was asking in a stupor of incredulity.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

He (or Gaiman, whichever one actually wrote this bit) explained the money already in Good Omens:

quote:

"NOTE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE AND AMERICANS: One shilling = Five Pee. It helps to understand the antique finances of the Witchfinder Army if you know the original British monetary system:

Two farthings = One Ha'penny. Two ha'pennies = One Penny. Three pennies = A Thrupenny Bit. Two Thrupences = A Sixpence. Two Sixpences = One Shilling, or Bob. Two Bob = A Florin. One Florin and one Sixpence = Half a Crown. Four Half Crowns = Ten Bob Note. Two Ten Bob Notes = One Pound (or 240 pennies). One Pound and One Shilling = One Guinea.

The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time because they thought it was too complicated."

(I was just looking an excuse to repost this quote)

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Isn't part of the joke that it sounds ridiculous due to all the old timey words?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Nobody has mentioned that they had trouble with the Making Money thing, someone just used it as an example of British humor in the books. Someone did say however that the wizards university being a perfect parody of a British institution was stupid because not everyone has been to one.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
The vast majority of Britain have never been to private school either but I still got the joke.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

thebardyspoon posted:

Nobody has mentioned that they had trouble with the Making Money thing

What?

quote:

Not someone saying "I myself had trouble" but categorically wondering how any American could get the joke.

And yeah, you don't need to have ever attended a stodgy British University to think that someone being named "The Lecturer in Recent Runes" is funny. And the whole concept of the teachers being around forever (tenure) and trying as hard as possible to avoid actually teaching is not exclusive to British higher education.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Oh yeah, someone totally did mention having trouble with it. I missed that for whatever reason. It's crazy to suggest he should avoid mentioning or parodying British cultural stuff since he's a British author and very popular here.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

They had a physical copy of the Snuff preview pages in Waterstones, so I took a look. Not sure what everyone's complaining about, seemed okay to me.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Konstantin posted:

'And don't ask me about the tuppenny piece!'

Actually the best bit is when Moist immediately asks "What about the tuppenny piece?" and the guy goes "I'm glad you asked me about that, sir!"

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'm in the category of the people saying "the more recent stuff just hasn't been up to par." I think Pratchett somehow managed to hit two high water marks - once in Small Gods and once in Night Watch - but UA and ISWM were both just... not very good. ISWM suffers from one gigantic flaw, for me: the word whore, (unspoilered because I was wrong, see below) which, considering Nanny Ogg and the seamstresses exist and no one uses it about them, just didn't exist on the Disc for me.
Overall the decline in quality has been partially the fault of editors, who as said earlier probably don't want to tell their friend that he's not as good as he used to be, but they really need to and I believe in Once Again* he comments on how much he appreciates his editors.
Nation was really good though.

*with footnotes

VVV You are right and I was wrong. I read the last five pages of the thread and didn't see any discussion about it, my bad. Edit 2: Also, I just re-read ISWM and while Esk and Time Traveling Tiffany could quite reasonably be removed for the better - Tiffany could experience a flash of foreknowledge about her future (as magical folk already do) to see the Hare pendant instead of talking to her future self - it is actually a much better novel than I initially thought. My problems were mainly that the themes and events were too mature for something meant for 10-13 year olds, but I realize now, thanks partially to this thread, that it is meant for an audience older than that. And the language issue is also moot as Tiffany and Preston both love talking about words, tying into what made Tiffany unique in the earlier stories so using a word like "whore" in the context of definitions shifting over time works fine.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 2, 2011

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

VanSandman posted:

I'm in the category of the people saying "the more recent stuff just hasn't been up to par." I think Pratchett somehow managed to hit two high water marks - once in Small Gods and once in Night Watch - but UA and ISWM were both just... not very good. ISWM suffers from one gigantic flaw, for me: the word slut, (spoilered for those who haven't read it, since its a bit of a minor plot point)

Do you mean "Leap, knave, jump, whore" ?

That was discussed earlier in this thread already...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I didn't think much of ISWM, I just couldn't see what direction the plot was trying to go, and I was kinda dissapointed with the ending.

I loved Nation though. The characters, the setting, the situation. The only thing that niggled me, was that I felt Mau and Daphne should have been alone for longer, when they meet. Because after only a few chapters, suddenly all these people come to the island. I just felt that they should have been own on thier for just a few chapters more, and then have the surprise of others.

I'm looking forward to Snuff though. The Watch books are my favourite.

One thing I'd like to ask any Americans out there, do the US editions change any words for localisation, like the Harry Potter books do? Just curious is all.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Pesky Splinter posted:

One thing I'd like to ask any Americans out there, do the US editions change any words for localisation, like the Harry Potter books do? Just curious is all.

No, and I wasn't aware anything was changed in Harry Potter other than "philosopher," which isn't even a localization issue. A quick googling tells me they changed lots of things, like tin -> can, and other things Americans would have had no trouble with. British people need to stop assuming Americans are dumb. Sure, some Americans are, but the dumb ones don't read, so you don't need to worry about them. Also, why bother making all these changes but then not change "er" to "uh"? That's just about the only legitimately confusing word to an American - there's no goddamn "r" sound in it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It took me like a while into one of the Harry Potter books (the fifth or sixth one) to figure out what snogging meant and even then the word kinda grosses me out.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

DontMockMySmock posted:

Also, why bother making all these changes but then not change "er" to "uh"? That's just about the only legitimately confusing word to an American - there's no goddamn "r" sound in it.

Er, eh, u(h)m, erm, ah, em and ahm are all different sounds people make instead of words. To me, anyway.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

rejutka posted:

Er, eh, u(h)m, erm, ah, em and ahm are all different sounds people make instead of words. To me, anyway.

That is indeed true. And the first one you listed is spelled "uh" in America.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
Harry Potter was originally written and marketed to 12 year-olds. American kids probably don't know jack poo poo about Britishisms and there's no sense in being confusing if you don't have to. No one knew it was going to become an all-ages sensation like it did, and once you start doing it stopping is even weirder. I wouldn't have minded either way, but like you said, you didn't even know about it, so who cares?

DontMockMySmock posted:

Also, why bother making all these changes but then not change "er" to "uh"? That's just about the only legitimately confusing word to an American - there's no goddamn "r" sound in it.

Because the Sphinx puzzle would make way less sense if you write it as "uh" instead of "er" and the pronunciation would be way off for Americans even though the pronunciation of the word would probably still work for Brits.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DontMockMySmock posted:

British people need to stop assuming Americans are dumb. Sure, some Americans are, but the dumb ones don't read, so you don't need to worry about them. Also, why bother making all these changes but then not change "er" to "uh"? That's just about the only legitimately confusing word to an American - there's no goddamn "r" sound in it.

As far as I know it was the US branch of the [Scholastic Corp. that made the changes.

I'm not assuming any Americans are dumb, and didn't mean to offend you, if that's what you thought I meant.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

DontMockMySmock posted:

That is indeed true. And the first one you listed is spelled "uh" in America.

I would distinguish er and uh as different sounds. Basically, watch just about every role Hugh Grant has played ever as he does both of them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

I loved Nation though. The characters, the setting, the situation. The only thing that niggled me, was that I felt Mau and Daphne should have been alone for longer, when they meet. Because after only a few chapters, suddenly all these people come to the island. I just felt that they should have been own on thier for just a few chapters more, and then have the surprise of others.
While I think Nation is one of the best books he's ever written, the first few chapters are definitely the strongest parts of the book. Pratchett does an amazing job with that sense of isolation.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

As far as I know it was the US branch of the [Scholastic Corp. that made the changes.

Really? Well, then, americans need to stop assuming americans are dumb. loving americans!

NobbytheSheep
Sep 2, 2011
I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour, but heaven knows I'm miserable now
I'm not too keen on the recent books - with the exception of Thud, which blew me away - particularly Unseen Academicals. Took way too long for the story to get going, and Pratchett seemed to be trying a bit too hard with all the stuff about the Shove and the rivalries between the teams. It all seemed really out of place in the Discworld universe. I'm really looking forward to Snuff, though - the Watch books are my favourite, followed by the Witches books.

I've only seen bits of Going Postal, but I found the Angua bit weird because if I recall correctly, she's quite discreet about changing when there are other people around. Not least because it really freaks people (and Gaspode) out. Pratchett did make a point of saying it wasn't like the movies depict it, it's more of a 'full body sneeze'.

NobbytheSheep fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 10, 2011

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

So, here's a thing I just realized about the Fairy Land in the Wee Free Men - it's a videogame. The draw distance thing is a big hint. Weird that I never noticed that before.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

NobbytheSheep posted:

I've only seen bits of Going Postal, but I found the Angua bit weird because if I recall correctly, she's quite discreet about changing when there are other people around. Not least because it really freaks people (and Gaspode) out. Pratchett did make a point of saying it wasn't like the movies depict it, it's more of a 'full body sneeze'.

I gave it a pass as that whole sequence was really fast-paced and they needed a way to show 'Angua is a werewolf' in about 3 seconds, doesn't give her much time to slip around a corner and change. Otherwise it's just Angua growling a lot, and someone who doesn't know the Watch would just be confused. Like it or not, they can't make these films just for us Discnerds if they're shown on primetime TV.

I was annoyed at that sequence for personal reasons though. My son is really getting into Discworld and reading all the books, and when we watching Going Postal he was far enough into Men at Arms to know that something was up with Angua but not what it was yet. I've heard of parents previewing what their kids watch for sex and violence, but now I think I ought to do it for spoilers.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Has there been anymore word on the watch tv series?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I haven't seen anything. But I saw on Wikipedia that

quote:

Terry Pratchett's Unseen Academicals, announced commencement of production in 2011.

This is news to me, but apparently a thing. I'm not sure about this, because while I don't think UA is that bad, it's not among my favorites. I'd rather see an adaption of, say, The Truth or... Well, there's not really much else.

I don't see any Watch movies, if the tv series is still moving forward. I don't like their Rincewind (he's young in the books), and they are already doing a Wee Free Men.

Perhaps the Witches books could be interesting?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Iacen posted:

I don't like their Rincewind (he's young in the books),

In fairness, he's at LEAST 40, since he's 35 when the Discworld series started. Even with Trousers of Time and dimension hopping, he's got to have put on 10 years by now.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Iacen posted:

I'd rather see an adaption of, say, The Truth or... Well, there's not really much else.

Small Gods. There needs to be a Small Gods movie so hard.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mister Roboto posted:

In fairness, he's at LEAST 40, since he's 35 when the Discworld series started. Even with Trousers of Time and dimension hopping, he's got to have put on 10 years by now.

Early forties, not last sixties and grizzled looking as gently caress mind you.

David Jason had the pefect role as Albert too.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Latest SFX has a review of Snuff, they gave it 5 stars like they always do with TP books. Obviously how much that means to you depends on what you thought of UA and ISWM since those also got 5 stars. No major plot spoilers obviously, just an outline of it like saying Feat of Clay is about Golems and a murder mystery.

Sounds like it's nearly all set in the country and the review doesn't mention any characters but Vimes, Sybil and Young Sam, so maybe we won't get any City Watch character stuff at all after the beginning bit from that preview. Which kinda sucks because Cheery, Colon, Angua and Detritus are probably my favourite characters.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Sounds like some Midsomer Murders shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

The_Doctor posted:

Sounds like some Midsomer Murders shenanigans.

Because it doesn't have any ethnics in it?