Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
By the way...

(From left to right: Nolan Bushnell, Brian "Psychochild" Green, Richard Garriott, Warren Spector, Raph Koster, Ernest Adams, Lorne Lanning, Tim Cain, John Romero)

I'm sure I could find dozens more if I looked through my LinkedIn connections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...
Futher proving that after you're successful, you get to have a beard (if you're a dude).

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Maide posted:

Futher proving that after you're successful, you get to have a beard (if you're a dude).
John Romero also gives hope to those dudes with spotty beards. They're not thin spots, they're art!

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Black Eagle posted:

I did not know Nikola Tesla was a game designer.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Solus posted:

I would hire someone on the spot if they were qualified and dressed as a storm trooper
So would I. I wonder if that's how Bioware chooses its new recruits.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I Triple-trimmed because of this thread. I hope you're all happy.

Let's move onto exercise routines, my workout during prepro is

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 12, 2011

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com
Cool story.

No, really, that's pretty awesome.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Here I was thinking that would be an awesome idea, but since it's been -done- it's just copy-catting.

Well I'll cross that plan off my list..

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, I imagine it is one of those things that only work the first time.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Turning the discussion back to student chat, no matter how briefly. I'm currently going into my senior year of college, with an eye on a junior content designer position, though I have enough programming background that I'll apply to a few technical design positions as well.

That being said, anyone want to offer any advice on my resume? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Last time I posted I know Shalinor mentioned the general lack of 3D experience as a negative, but I'm trying to get some more grounding in it over the school year -- which is also nowhere as good as doing 3D stuff on my own, I know :I

e: A direct link to my website is also here for the curious. I'm trying to think up a better name in the meantime, but overall I'm satisfied with how it's presenting information.

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 12, 2011

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
more fuel for the resume/website review chat fire: resume website

(I think the last time I posted this it got covered up by a worry-some rant in my post, so it sorta went by unnoticed)

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com
Any of you fellow students going to GDC Austin?

Vino
Aug 11, 2010

Diplomaticus posted:

So I try to time things so that I shave the morning of the day before I have a significant meeting, which ensures that I have enough of a 5-o'clock shadow to give my jawline definition, but not so much to make me look like a scrub.

I'm going to try this. But I can always just shave again day of if I'm not satisfied with the look.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

NextTime000 posted:

more fuel for the resume/website review chat fire: resume website

(I think the last time I posted this it got covered up by a worry-some rant in my post, so it sorta went by unnoticed)

In the resume there's an extra "a" in "Made a level creation a simple..."
Also the whole talk about the usefulness of a "Skills" section on the last few pages might be applicable here.

As for the website, first impression was, "Oh, blah blah blog fluff. Where're the goods?" and then my second impression after clicking Game Portfolio was "Aw, just another blog post" (I didn't even realize you had actual games linked, maybe screenshots would make it more instantly obvious?) and then my third impression after clicking Resume was "PDF? I hate PDF's" (I wouldn't get rid of the PDF version but one that's formatted as a blog post would be a nice default) and then while writing this I gave the Game Portfolio a second look and tried out Warnutz! but that game wouldn't load and then I tried out Weapon Test and once I figured out what was going on my last impression was, "Hah, this is a hilarious and fun game. What a neat idea."

cgeq fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 12, 2011

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

Note Block posted:

I said "basically" ;)

Can you say what company you are with?

This is super far back, but I am with EA

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Hey now, why you gotta go bringing Ernest Adams in to a game developer thread?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Oh, so you're one of those...

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Jagermaestro posted:

Wear a bit of cologne.

A bit. A bit. Just a little. Please, for the love of god. Use cologne/aftershave after your shower, not as your shower. This is something else you should have learned before you graduate.

Speaking of shower, if you have to be reminded that you need to have one before your interview, you should not be allowed in public without a warning sign.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Black Eagle posted:

By the way...

(From left to right: Nolan Bushnell, Brian "Psychochild" Green, Richard Garriott, Warren Spector, Raph Koster, Ernest Adams, Lorne Lanning, Tim Cain, John Romero)

I'm sure I could find dozens more if I looked through my LinkedIn connections.

Brian's beard is even more impressive in person. Also I never realized how much Richard Garriott looks like a young Jimmy Wales.

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
Well, Syndicate is finally announced.
After well over three years of not being allowed to talk about your work, this feels like a relief.

Too bad everyone hates it, but oh well. :unsmith:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Wait, Syndicate? Like, Bullfrog Syndicate?

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
Yep

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

czg posted:

Well, Syndicate is finally announced.
After well over three years of not being allowed to talk about your work, this feels like a relief.

gently caress em. Bring it on. Looking forward to more info.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

czg posted:

Not to turn this too much into chat about a particular game, but working on games definitely gives me more of an appreciation that there are real people behind these games pouring themselves into it. Being faced with nothing but the corporate front of a game development team really detaches you from that reality I think.

Realising this has already made me an awful lot less loving goony and self-entitled about games. :shobon:

But that said I am going off multiplayer shooters and really hankering for more coop games so I'll be keeping a close goddamn eye on it :D

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 12, 2011

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

czg posted:

It's kind of an odd choice. Even if the game itself is brilliant (which it looks like it could be - seems right up my alley), it's always going to have people saying "I don't understand why they used the Syndicate IP for this rather than just inventing a new one".

Especially since EA always go on about how great they are with investing in new IP. People remembering a 15 year old game series aren't just looking for a name or a setting, they want that gameplay again (or something derived from it).

What I'm more baffled by is that there hasn't been an indie Syndicate-inspired game (in the same way that Frozen Synapse is inspired by Laser Squad or X-Com, and is popular with fans of those series despite modernising and changing the gameplay quite a bit).

I think there are enough people out there hungry for an RTS in the Syndicate / Cannon Fodder style that an indie team could do very well indeed out of catering to that audience, in the way that a AAA team never could.

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
Yeah to be honest I don't think anyone here expected any other kind of reaction from the old-school fans.
I'm sure the game once it's finished will end up doing alright.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

FreakyZoid posted:

It's kind of an odd choice. Even if the game itself is brilliant (which it looks like it could be - seems right up my alley), it's always going to have people saying "I don't understand why they used the Syndicate IP for this rather than just inventing a new one".

Especially since EA always go on about how great they are with investing in new IP. People remembering a 15 year old game series aren't just looking for a name or a setting, they want that gameplay again (or something derived from it).

What I'm more baffled by is that there hasn't been an indie Syndicate-inspired game (in the same way that Frozen Synapse is inspired by Laser Squad or X-Com, and is popular with fans of those series despite modernising and changing the gameplay quite a bit).

I think there are enough people out there hungry for an RTS in the Syndicate / Cannon Fodder style that an indie team could do very well indeed out of catering to that audience, in the way that a AAA team never could.

I think I follow you on Twitter...

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Aliginge posted:

Not to turn this too much into chat about a particular game, but working on games definitely gives me more of an appreciation that there are real people behind these games pouring themselves into it. Being faced with nothing but the corporate front of a game development team really detaches you from that reality I think.

Yeah, its really strange being on this side of the wall. It was so easy to criticize games before, now actually talking to a bunch of people behind some of my favorite games I can get the whole picture.

I think it should be mandatory that all games have a developer commentary.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Twitter does help for that, actually (I know this is a tangent and unrelated to Monster's post, it just reminded me. I spent a couple hours going through Sam Houston's game industry twitter guide a couple years ago and found it invaluable both from a professional (i.e. networking and "oh, that makes sense, interesting!" standpoint) and personal (i.e. cracking up at ecavalli drunk tweets) perspective.

I lost the link to that guide, but @SWATJester if anyone wants to dig through my list.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

http://gameindustrytweet.com/ but he stopped updating it a long time ago, when he got a new job.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Yeah I'm @NeilCastle (can't remember if I posted that before) in case anyone cares. I pretty much just post stupid jokes and industry news commentary. Sometimes photos of my cock too.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

I'm @shalinor if you like to read bitching/praising related to UDK and the occssional bit of graphics geekery

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Aliginge posted:

Realising this has already made me an awful lot less loving goony and self-entitled about games. :shobon:

But that said I am going off multiplayer shooters and really hankering for more coop games so I'll be keeping a close goddamn eye on it :D

I actually find this kind of stuff even more frustrating from the developer side. There's nothing more demoralizing than working on a game that you know is going to be a disappointment to its primary audience.
The FASA guys absolutely adored their multiplayer shooter. They were totally proud of what they had built. But of course the way it was marketed and calling it “Shadowrun” doomed any chance it had of finding its own audience.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I don't have the perspective of working in AAA, but having worked at a shop that made games that were sometimes essentially what people call "shovelware" (and make no bones about it, you're fully aware that that's what you've made) you quickly gain perspective and it's water off a duck's back most of the time.

But when it's a good game you really believed in it can deflate you a bit. My last game that launched last week has received unanimously positive reviews on the App Store so far, but I decided to venture further afield and looked on TouchArcade, where they were... Less kind. Sucks a bit to have people say that no effort was made in implementing a particular feature when you know there bloody was!

Generally people really don't have much of an idea of the reality of development and all the politics it entails, so anything that's less than perfect must just down to apathy of some kind.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Akuma posted:

Generally people really don't have much of an idea of the reality of development and all the politics it entails, so anything that's less than perfect must just down to apathy of some kind.

Yeah its really blowing my mind just being on the other side of the wall for a month. I will be more kind to games in the future.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Akuma posted:

This is the same in basically everything, though. I'm sure you'll say a movie or album or TV show sucks despite there being people who've poured their hearts and souls in to it. And frankly, I wouldn't expect anyone to judge a thing's merits based on how much its creators cared about it, or the amount of sweat and tears that went in to them, because that would be crazy. You judge stuff, as everyone does, on how good the end result is.

You are still allowed to not like games and things. Just don't be a dick about it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I didn't say otherwise, did I? Observing something doesn't mean judging it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

DancingMachine posted:

The FASA guys absolutely adored their multiplayer shooter. They were totally proud of what they had built. But of course the way it was marketed and calling it “Shadowrun” doomed any chance it had of finding its own audience.
I will go to my deathbed saying that Shadowrun was a freaking awesome shooter. Especially when you remember that the plan was always to take those MP skills and wrap them into a single-player RPG/shooter, just... drat. So sad.

Anywho, if you work for a shovelware studio making shovelware, I suppose it eventually does start to sting less. But - you're still fully aware you're working in a shovelware studio, making poo poo product, and that it's not the job you wanted when you went into games. That sense is far more pervasively demoralizing, and I don't think it ever really goes away. The studios often try to keep morale up with the idea that you're only working on shovelware to fund your amazing original game, but... yeah, how often does that ever work out.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com
Just got confirmation that I'm going to be a volunteer at GDC Austin! YES!

Time to book my flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Probably my biggest beef with complains is how far some go with insulting the game or developer. Calling them a hack, or a loser.

Sometimes I just want to say, shut the gently caress up you loving twats. Though, seeing as I'm pursuing a career in this field, it is more better than I grow thicker skin. I wonder how devs and the others deal with an unpleasant fanbase.

I kind of was the same with the feelings. I worked on a socom game for the psp (qa tester) of course, and it did grate me a little how people were like oh it was a quick cashgrab, or slant six is awful.. or the most common complaint. Why is this on the psp, it was sent to die.

The last one had merit, but it did piss me off hearing them just blow off the game. It's like you guys said, it feels a bit more personal when you worked on it. Yeah I was a QA tester, the bottom of the barrel in terms of the industry ladder, but I knew those testers and that we tried our best to make sure it wasn't buggy. The internet is a harsh mistress but guess you gotta take the lumps..