Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Has anyone else trained a formal finish? Which style did you pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

notsoape posted:

Has anyone else trained a formal finish? Which style did you pick?

Not sure what you mean by style. Cohen has a right finish which is pretty mundane: just a meander around my right to heel position. She has a really nice pivot left finish where she swings her back around while keeping her front relatively stationary. I'll ask for a left finish 99% of the time since it's faster and a bit flashier.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Yeah, I just meant flip finish or... round the back finish :P (so, left and right). Our trainer wants us to work on it this week, and I wasn't sure which would be easier to teach.

In the end, after I posted that, I tried the method she taught us for the flip finish, since I think it's easier to do when the puppy's on lead - and it worked out pretty well for our first try :). It's not something I've ever taught before, and honestly not something I would have bothered to teach Mouse otherwise - but she seems to think it's no big deal so, woo. For some reason I thought the left finish would be super hard to teach (and I'm sure it is, done proficiently and with flair - but our version will do for now!)

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

This is a video I slapped together when Cohen was 9 months old. You can see her snazzy left finish, and a bit not-really right finishes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRmCUfrr-_0

If you have an interest in tricks, the same mechanism used to teach the rear-end awareness for a pivot bleeds into a dozen other behaviours.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Yeah, I've been looking up rear end awareness videos with a view to trying it with Dandy :). I don't want to focus on tricks with Mouse per se, but there are a bunch of clicker and positive reinforcement techniques that are going to be useful for her field training. She's got 'hold it/give' and retrieve to hand really nicely now, next step is going to be building up to recall/distance drops using the towel technique in the kikopup video.

I've gotta say, I do always feel a little guilty watching kikopup because 'No!' and 'Ah-ah' are definitely part of the vocabulary I use with my dogs. I don't think I'll ever fade them out entirely, but I'm definitely thinking about ways to communicate more positively more of the time.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

notsoape posted:

I've gotta say, I do always feel a little guilty watching kikopup because 'No!' and 'Ah-ah' are definitely part of the vocabulary I use with my dogs. I don't think I'll ever fade them out entirely, but I'm definitely thinking about ways to communicate more positively more of the time.

I definitely think there is merit to be found in using a no-reward marker, so long as it's not being used as a positive punishment so much as a "try again" sort of cue. It's also a good way to interrupt a behavior you want to redirect, imo. It's really kind of at the discretion of the individual trainer, but yeah, I agree with you.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Apparently I have a desire to make my life harder because I'm going to be getting some mice in a couple of weeks :v: and as you probably know I have a Jack!

I'd like to get to the stage (eventually, in as long a time as necessary) that I can trust Lola to be in the same room as the mice when one is out, without being tethered, crated, etc. I doubt I'd ever let her approach them closely (though she did okay once when we were following a hurt baby bird, on a loose leash only a metre away).

She will never be left alone with them, and when I'm not in the room the dogs won't be allowed in there. As further security, the mice will be in a fish tank, with weighted down wire mesh on, and possibly an aquarium lid (with the hood popped open for ventilation).

That said, I could do with some tips as to how to teach her to control herself well around them.

My plan involves:
- Waiting for calm behaviour (wfcb) when in the same room that the mice are in, with mice in the tank.
- Wfcb when Lola is crated in the same room me and mice are in, with one mouse out, when we are at the opposite side of the room.
- Wfcb when Lola is crated closer, until she can be a couple of metres away.
- Wfcb when Lola is tethered at the other side of the room.
- Wfcb when Lola is tethered closer, until a couple of metres distance - she will never have the length of tether required to hurt the mice.
- Wfcb when Lola is on her mat at the other side of the room.
- Wfcb when Lola is on the couch at the other side of the room.
- It's Yer Choice: Lola on leash and at other side of the room. Me handling her, other person handling mice.
- It's Yer Choice: moving closer to mice, rewarding constantly for calmness and redirected attention.
- it's yer choice: Lola off leash with me, and other person and mice at other end of room. Then move closer.
- Swap me and other person, and then slowly decrease distance until mice are handled a few metres away.
- Slowly remove other person from the equation.
- Reinforce and reward Lola for keeping her distance (choosing to lie on her bed, the couch, etc).

Any other ideas? :ohdear: Lola has previously demonstrated to me that she can listen to cues and obey corrections around prey close by, but that was for limited periods of time, so I want to lay a really strong foundation for 'leave the prey in the house' since this will be a more long term thing!

At each stage, we

RetroVirus
Jun 27, 2004

Fraction posted:

A jack and mice

I think you've covered pretty much everything. I did a lot of these same things, probably even less (you're far more creative) with my dog being in the same room as the cats. Now he is just extremely calm around them and doesn't even budge if the cats dash off. Keep us updated on how it goes! :)

You guys I am so stoked about this free-shaping, I taught my big ol' Brodie Bear how to bow like a gentleman so quickly. :monar:

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

ButWhatIf posted:

I definitely think there is merit to be found in using a no-reward marker, so long as it's not being used as a positive punishment so much as a "try again" sort of cue. It's also a good way to interrupt a behavior you want to redirect, imo. It's really kind of at the discretion of the individual trainer, but yeah, I agree with you.

I think I've mentioned before that steadiness around stock is really important for any British dog who's going to be spending any amount of time in the countryside, especially if you're actively working in and around farms. I don't think I'd feel comfortable doing the early training around livestock without being able to communicate with my dog 'no, that was the wrong decision and it's very important that you stop immediately' through tone of voice.

Don't get me wrong; most of the training is very positive in nature, and the 'reprimand' is nothing more than a stern 'Ah-ah' followed by oodles of praise for subsequently making the right decision. My garden is full of rabbits and chickens, and my dogs are always at my feet when I'm doing food-animal chores, so impulse control is something we work and build on every day. Even Dandy (who, at 3ish, is a dog I can trust to stand in the open doorway of a pen and keep an eye on a rabbit for me while I go to grab something, but who will also find, flush, corner and gently grip escapee rabbits for me on command) will need the occasional 'Hey, enough' reminder from time to time.

With Mouse, I've been building up to a controlled retrieve of a toy from inside the chicken pen itself. I started working in the chicken pen with her from a pretty young age; once she knew what 'sit/stay' meant we worked on sit/stay close to the chickens, on-lead in the chicken pen and finally off-lead in the chicken pen. The next stage was letting her potter around and make her own decisions in the pen (again, off-lead at first) and tldr today we did our first off-lead retrieve - she sat at my heel while I opened the door, watched me throw the item into the pen (about halfway over to the chickens), then retrieved it on command (to hand! :3: ) without paying the hens a second glance. We've only been able to get to that stage because, whenever she's tested the boundaries in the past (infrequently, I'm pleased to report) by taking a step closer to the hens than I'm happy with, a firm 'Ah-ah' has stopped her dead in her tracks.

I'm sure it's possible to train a dog to be stock steady using praise alone and no 'verbal intimidation', but I don't think I'm that awesome a trainer, unfortunately. When a slip-up would mean a dead bird or bun rather than a gulped hotdog, it's not something I'm prepared to take a chance on.

(I really wish kikopup would post a follow up to this video - I have NO IDEA how she taught it using positive training only!)

ION, Mouse was supposed to start training for the Bronze CGC award tonight - but the trainer got a migraine and had to cancel and we have to wait til next week :(

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Oh, also, we've started working on the towel game in preparation for distance work - although we've only been working in the living room so far, she got the 'if i go stand on this, I get clicks and treats!' idea pretty quickly, so so far so good :).

And Dandy's making gradual progress with his holds; he'll now take the item, back up into a sit, then drop it (which is better than immediately spitting it out as he was doing before). Mouse is streets ahead, and will sit holding the item until I give the 'give' command - I can walk away, turn away from her or whatever and she'll keep holding it til I return :3:. Shaping really is amazing, and anyone still using 'ear-pinch' in this day and age is a moron.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

notsoape posted:

I'm sure it's possible to train a dog to be stock steady using praise alone and no 'verbal intimidation', but I don't think I'm that awesome a trainer, unfortunately. When a slip-up would mean a dead bird or bun rather than a gulped hotdog, it's not something I'm prepared to take a chance on.

(I really wish kikopup would post a follow up to this video - I have NO IDEA how she taught it using positive training only!)

The thing to remember about punishers is that you need to earn their use, and you can only punish if you're 110% sure the dog knows what it should be doing instead. A punisher to shut down a dog in the short term is useless in the long term.

ButWhatIf posted:

Garrett posits that a NRM is only necessary if the completion of the task will result in the dog getting reinforcement. Her example is if a dog performs the weave poles incorrectly, but is allowed to finish the row -- the weaves are intrinsically rewarding for a dog who has been trained to enjoy them, so allowing the dog to make a mistake then be rewarded is not ideal.

Just don't abuse them. It's awfully easy to fall back on punishment when you're training a dog. It's also highly susceptible to escalation. As in, if punishment has worked in the past to stop a dog's behaviour, that is positively reinforcing to us as handlers. If an equal level of punishment fails to work we will naturally choose to escalate punishment until we see a result. Quickly these two factors feed into each other and can get out of control. It's safer to simply avoid the use of punishment entirely when interacting with your dogs.

Also, notsoape, I knew which video you linked before I even clicked on it. I've been waiting for the followup too. My guess is that it's the same as crate games where there are heavy rewards for choosing to remain on the grass, and cessation of reinforcement if the dog chooses to leave the grass.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)

a life less posted:

Garrett posits that a NRM is only necessary if the completion of the task will result in the dog getting reinforcement. Her example is if a dog performs the weave poles incorrectly, but is allowed to finish the row -- the weaves are intrinsically rewarding for a dog who has been trained to enjoy them, so allowing the dog to make a mistake then be rewarded is not ideal.

So you're suggesting that in this instance, as soon as the dog makes the mistake you should interrupt the weave routine?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

MrFurious posted:

So you're suggesting that in this instance, as soon as the dog makes the mistake you should interrupt the weave routine?

Yep! A simple NRM and a call-away should do it. Reset and try again.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

notsoape posted:

and the 'reprimand' is nothing more than a stern 'Ah-ah' followed by oodles of praise for subsequently making the right decision.
Do you ask Mouse to do something (sit, come etc) before you praise? I was recently told by an instructor to stop praising Rho for complying when I tell them no (no sniffing in the agility ring in this specific instance). He suggested I ask him to do a trick or something and *then* praise for complying.

Big Sal Graziano
May 10, 2011

by Ozmaugh
First of all I want to thank everyone for all the suggestions given regarding how to calm Jace down sometimes. They really helped me out. I was unfortunately busy with work and RL stuff that didn't allow me to make detailed posts like this.

But first and foremost I wanted to share my gratitude.

My newest issue is that in the morning and sometimes after play, Jace gets like.. green "gunk" in his eye, similar to what we get when we first wake up in the morning. I always remove it. But I just wanted to double check that it is a normal thing.

Also Jace is 1 years old, and is an alaskan husky/retreiver mix. The original paper I had was wrong.

Once again, thank you everyone.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
So, there's a pretty big broohaha in the UK at the moment about a segment on a daily evening talk show (the One Show) involving a dog 'behaviourist'. Unfortunately no-one has hosted the clip for international audiences, but if you're in the UK and have iplayer, it's friday's One Show and the dog stuff happens about 30 minutes in.

Basically, the dog is a super reactive JRT with huge food guarding problems. The One Show's new 'behaviourist' is a guy who looks like he's just out of high school, who claims Cesar Milan is his ~idol~ and who dealt with the behavioural issue by shoving his shoe in the dog's mouth, yelling and removing the food every time the dog attacked. Here's a more detailed summary:

quote:

BBC’s The One Show has outraged dog trainers and lovers alike this week with the introduction of their new segment “Fix My Dog”.

They have hired Jordan Shelley, a Cesar Milan wannabe with no formal qualifications, to host this part of the show. It appears that he has been hired mostly due to his looks, rather than any affinity with canine kind.

In the clip that I saw, he was working with a Jack Russell called Roxie who growled when anyone approached her food bowl. Any good dog behaviourist would tell you that this is probably due to an underlying fear. I expected Jordan to do what all reward based trainers would do; I expected him to put a half full bowl down and gradually get closer and closer, dropping tasty treats into the bowl as he came, rewarding calm behaviour and showing Roxie that people approaching her food bowl is a good thing and nothing to be afraid of. Instead, he allowed Roxie to get anxious and lunge, teeth bared, at his Converse-clad foot. With it, he pushed the little dog away and shouted “BACK!”

Roxie, startled, stopped growling and adopted submissive body postures. She was then invited back to her bowl. A few seconds later, Jordan approached again. Remembering what had happened last time (that’s the scary man who gets between me and my dinner), out came the teeth once more.

This went on for some 45 minutes apparently, with Roxie being invited to eat, and then being pushed around by Jordan’s foot and shouted at when Jordan approached her bowl. He effectively taught her that people approaching her bowl is something to fear, as it means her meal is over. At one point, she backed into her bed, which she had never guarded before, and bared her teeth at Jordan as he towered over her. Oh dear… Eventually, after being “tired down” – his words – she stopped guarding her bowl. Jordan pronounced her “cured”. To me she looked terrified; she had given in to the bully.

You can watch it yourself on iPlayer – it has to be seen to be believed. I was appalled, and I’d love to know how he trains dogs larger than ankle height…

In the same episode Jordan claims that he is a huge fan of Cesar Milan and that he learned about dogs while walking them as a child. A quick Google search of his name reveals nothing (except other articles similar to this one). Who is this man, and what qualifies him to teach the nation how to train their dogs? He says “There are two different schools of dog training thought – dominance theory and reward based. You have to find a balance between the two.”

I saw no balance. I saw no reward. All I saw was a large man pushing a little dog around. He made no attempt to understand why Roxie was doing what she was doing, or to explain it to her owners. Later, his way of stopping her ripping up the post was to forcibly place himself between her and the door and shout at her. He clearly has no idea of modern dog training techniques or dog behaviour, body language or psychology. Anyone can shout at a dog or forcibly move it around, but the media should not be promoting this caveman like style of ‘training’.

Ever the champion of the underdog, Dogs Today magazine have also spoken out against what they saw; you can read their reaction to it here.

I am saddened and disappointed that The One Show has chosen to give this man and his dominating techniques air time, and that they are treating dog problems like a quick fix which can be solved with little work in 4 minutes of air time. For years, dog lovers have been trying to spread the message that dog training takes time and understanding and effort, and this new segment undermines that message. We here at Dogs In The News will be taking time to write a letter of complaint to the BBC and request that our readers do so also. You can find the forms here. Hopefully the BBC will see sense and fire this bully before any dogs are harmed by the use of his techniques.

You can see some of the outraged responses on the One Show's facebook wall. As yet there has been no official statement from them, but they're going to have to address the situation soon. Hope the dude is summarily sacked.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Papercut posted:

Is there a reason you're not putting the crate in your bedroom? I feel like most dogs, especially rescues, will have a hard time being completely isolated overnight. Our rescue literally runs gleefully to his crate at bedtime, but I couldn't see that happening if we moved the crate to an isolated room.

We did try that for a while, but my wife is a light sleeper and she kept waking up every time George moved around. I doubt she'd hear him moving about in the new crate, but it's too big to fit anywhere in our bedroom :(.

We made some improvements to the wooden crate and they seem to have done the trick. George was chewing through the bars on the door, so we put a flat piece of wood over that (the crate is still well-ventilated, don't worry). Plus, we let him do his own thing with this crate, as I mentioned earlier, and that seems to have helped a lot. He's decided it is his place rather than something we forced on him.

themindisonfire
Feb 23, 2009
Swanson is STILL submissive/excitement peeing. Sometimes it's completely random, my friend lets him out like every three hours, and he's stopped smacking and yelling at him for doing random things. Tonight he was scuttling around upstairs and I literally lifted his lips to make sure I didn't smell anything that could hurt him on his breath, and he peed right on the stairs. He's a year and a half now and potty trained except for the times when he excitement pees. Anyone have any ideas about this?

Also he's started this thing where he barks or runs through all of his tricks to get the treat. It is extremely annoying, he's getting annoyed and we don't know what to do about it.

themindisonfire fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 19, 2011

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

themindisonfire posted:

Swanson is STILL submissive/excitement peeing. Sometimes it's completely random, my friend lets him out like every three hours, and he's stopped smacking and yelling at him for doing random things. Tonight he was scuttling around upstairs and I literally lifted his lips to make sure I didn't smell anything that could hurt him on his breath, and he peed right on the stairs. He's a year and a half now and potty trained except for the times when he excitement pees. Anyone have any ideas about this?

Also he's started this thing where he barks or runs through all of his tricks to get the treat. It is extremely annoying, he's getting annoyed and we don't know what to do about it.

What was or is his body language like when he pees? If he's 'submissive' peeing, you need to take a step back and make every interaction you have with him positive - so he has no reason whatsoever to fear you or your friend. If he's peeing from excitement, you need to find a way to drain some of that energy - doing something like agility or tracking.

When he runs through the tricks you've taught him, it's because he doesn't understand what you want and he finds that frustrating (hence the barking). Take a few steps back and make sure he 100% knows his cues in a variety of settings, in isolation, before you start asking him to pick out the behaviour you want from the cue you give.

themindisonfire
Feb 23, 2009

Fraction posted:

What was or is his body language like when he pees? If he's 'submissive' peeing, you need to take a step back and make every interaction you have with him positive - so he has no reason whatsoever to fear you or your friend. If he's peeing from excitement, you need to find a way to drain some of that energy - doing something like agility or tracking.

He flips over, tummy up. He really shouldn't be scared, no one has yelled at him or punished him for it for a long time. I do have a disappointed tones sometimes though, so maybe he's taking that in the OH poo poo IN TROUBLE PEE! Sometimes he literally has no reason and gets all super submissive for no reason and pees on people's feet. He's weird. He generally only excitement pees when people come home, or he meets new people. I'm going to try to get some boxes from work and teach him amateur nosework though. I think he'll enjoy that, and it will give his little terrier brain a workout.

Fraction posted:

When he runs through the tricks you've taught him, it's because he doesn't understand what you want and he finds that frustrating (hence the barking). Take a few steps back and make sure he 100% knows his cues in a variety of settings, in isolation, before you start asking him to pick out the behaviour you want from the cue you give.
I'm not sure it's that he doesn't know the tricks, it's really more of an impatient sort of bark, like he's literally saying HEY THAT IS MINE GIVE NOW. He's learned speak, and he never used to bark like he does now before he learned that command. Would separating him from the situation or putting away the treat until he calms down help you think? I've also not been using the clicker for him much lately... maybe I'll reinstate it because the omgletmerunthrougheverythinguntiltreat started after it was sort of not being used anymore.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

themindisonfire posted:

He flips over, tummy up. He really shouldn't be scared, no one has yelled at him or punished him for it for a long time. I do have a disappointed tones sometimes though, so maybe he's taking that in the OH poo poo IN TROUBLE PEE! Sometimes he literally has no reason and gets all super submissive for no reason and pees on people's feet. He's weird. He generally only excitement pees when people come home, or he meets new people. I'm going to try to get some boxes from work and teach him amateur nosework though. I think he'll enjoy that, and it will give his little terrier brain a workout.

Yeah, it sounds like he's reacting to something scary. What you could try is, for a while, a 'hands off' policy: don't touch him any more than is absolutely necessary, and only very gentle petting in the safe areas (chest and sides usually). I'd also take him to the vets for an in depth checkup. When you start integrating more physical contact back in, pair it with awesome stuff - so if he gets a gentle touch to the head, he also gets a handful of chicken. This way he learns to reassociate you guys with good things.

It might be that he's very sensitive - terriers can be surprisingly so! My JRT will cringe and cower if I raise my voice (even if it's at the TV or at my other dog), and a harsh word can send her tail and head down immediately. My friend's Cairn rolls on her back and pees when greeting new people, and will pee from excitement when strangers come to the house, but said friend hasn't done anything about it yet. Peeing can become a reinforcing and habitual response - they learn that it eases the pressure (makes you go away), and so even when they no longer have the excited or fearful response they can still do it in slightly arousing or uncomfortable situations.

quote:

I'm not sure it's that he doesn't know the tricks, it's really more of an impatient sort of bark, like he's literally saying HEY THAT IS MINE GIVE NOW. He's learned speak, and he never used to bark like he does now before he learned that command. Would separating him from the situation or putting away the treat until he calms down help you think? I've also not been using the clicker for him much lately... maybe I'll reinstate it because the omgletmerunthrougheverythinguntiltreat started after it was sort of not being used anymore.

A clicker would help probably, and if he's barking to be demanding rather than out of frustration it may be worthwhile to simply remove yourself if he barks. Keep rewards out of sight too (otherwise they can easily become bribes, not rewards).

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

themindisonfire posted:

Pi has issues with demand barking and what works for him is a time-out. It makes for a lot of time-outs in the beginning (so many it isn't really that "positive" training anymore imo), but it's the only thing I know that works. Trying to teach him a cue for "quiet" just got him to bark in order to be cued to shut up. Trying to ask for several behaviors to get him to shut up and reward for those just got me some pretty ridiculous behavior chains.

Only engage the dog if he's quiet and your problem will eventually go away. Make sure he understands that he lost his opportunity to work with you: put the dog away or leave yourself.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Fraction posted:

It might be that he's very sensitive - terriers can be surprisingly so! My JRT will cringe and cower if I raise my voice (even if it's at the TV or at my other dog), and a harsh word can send her tail and head down immediately. My friend's Cairn rolls on her back and pees when greeting new people, and will pee from excitement when strangers come to the house, but said friend hasn't done anything about it yet. Peeing can become a reinforcing and habitual response - they learn that it eases the pressure (makes you go away), and so even when they no longer have the excited or fearful response they can still do it in slightly arousing or uncomfortable situations.

Yeah, my terrier mutt has problems leaving the house and would get anxious enough to let off little squirts when we were trying to get him to go somewhere. Even body language that to us seems completely non-threatening (like crouching down and holding out a treat for him) was just too much for him. What we had to do to make him comfortable was start by just sitting at the top of the stairs and letting him come over to us. At that point we would give him all sorts of love so he'd know he was okay, then move down a few stairs and repeat. Basically coax him down to the front door, at which point he becomes fine. He still really does not want to leave unless everyone in the house is leaving, but making it anything other than a 100% positive experience is just going to make the behavior worse.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Just a little update on the aforementioned broohaha over dog training philosophies happening in the UK at the moment.

First, here are a couple of stills from the show.

To recap: food guarding jrt, dude deals with it by shoving his shoe in the dog's face for forty minutes and bellowing 'NO' until the dog cowers away. The tv footage did not show him praising or rewarding the dog once. This guy has no formal training and considers Cesar Milan to be his hero. This was broadcast on BBC1 (main national tv channel) at 7 in the evening.

Here's an article discussing the controversy (daily fail link, sorry).

Here's the press release from the BBC to Beverly Cuddy of Dogs Today (national dog magazine, big on activism)

"We appreciate that many dog lovers have strong opinions on the subject of dog training, however the family with the problem dog Roxy are extremely happy with the outcome. Jordan Shelley, who runs a dog treatment centre in London, will display other techniques in future films.
Jordan himself will also be putting out a line talking about his approach and why he employed the technique in the programme, it may be an hour or so and I'll call you with that.
I will also call you now to give you a bit of background
Thanks
Publicist
BBC Comedy and Entertainment"

This has just infuriated the Grate Dogladies of Britain further, and there's a mounting pressure on the One Show to sack the guy. It will be interesting to see how the whole thing pans out.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Here's the dog "trainer"'s statement

quote:

"As I said on The One Show, I respect and practice both reward based and dominance techniques and I use a mixture of both, depending upon the specific dog and its problems. Safety comes first in all my training and I would never approve of causing distress to any dog. The family were present for the entire filming and subsequently I have visited them on a couple of occasions and they say they are delighted with the improvement in Roxy's behaviour."

(The filming took place only 6 weeks ago)

And here's Dog's Trust, a leading dog rescue charity

quote:

Dogs Trust, the UK’s largest dog welfare charity is deeply concerned by the training methods used by Jordan Shelley who was featured on The One Show on Friday 16th September. The main issues we have are:

A dog with such aggression and fear issues should never, ever have food taken away by members of the family. There was no regard for the safety of the family - using methods like this will only cause the dog to suppress the behaviour and there is a strong possibility that, when the opportunity arises, he will revert to the aggression.
There is no consideration for the dog's emotional state and the motivation behind the behaviour - until these are addressed then you can never consider the behaviour to be resolved.
Any other pet dog owner attempting these methods will put themselves and their families at risk of serious dog bites.
There was no warning to 'not try this at home.’
We are surprised that The One Show has featured such aggressive training methods as demonstrated by Jordan Shelley and are worried that families will try these methods at home. Jordan Shelley also stated that he ‘agrees with all training methods’ which really does not make sense when there are so many different training methods used throughout the UK.

Dog trainers all over the UK use reward-based methods to train dogs very effectively. Where dogs have behaviours which owners find unacceptable, such as aggression or destruction, qualified and experienced behaviourists achieve long term changes in behaviour through the use of established and validated techniques of behaviour modification without subjecting dogs to training techniques which may cause pain or distress.

We always advise dog owners to carefully consider the help they choose to train their dogs or tackle behavioural problems, in particular to ensure that the trainer does not use any techniques which may put the welfare of the dogs or owners at risk.

Lynn Barber, Head of Canine Behaviour and Training at Dogs Trust

notsoape fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 21, 2011

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

notsoape posted:

Here's the dog "trainer"'s statement

(The filming took place only 6 weeks ago)

And here's Dog's Trust, a leading dog rescue charity

Yeeeeah, before long, someone in the family is going to drop some food or whatever, go to pick it up without thinking and get their hand bit off.

And then the dog will be put down and these people and everyone they tell will have learned the lesson that "broken" dogs can't be fixed and you don't need to understand your dog's behavior because if they do something you don't like that you can't intimidate them out of, the dog is broken! Get rid of it and try again.

Of course, the tv audience won't see that part, so then they'll take their dogs to the next Cesar Milan and the cycle of misinformation (not to mention abused and discarded dogs) continues.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

quote:

Safety comes first in all my training and I would never approve of causing distress to any dog.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: watching good, proper dog training is probably more boring than watching paint dry. You're not likely going to see any good, proper dog training on television.

Just to restate the obvious, he's intensifying the negative emotions in the situation while attempting to shut down the behaviour. I feel that they're setting this dog up to fail in the long term, and the situation is at a very high risk of repeating.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

a life less posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: watching good, proper dog training is probably more boring than watching paint dry. You're not likely going to see any good, proper dog training on television.

Just to restate the obvious, he's intensifying the negative emotions in the situation while attempting to shut down the behaviour. I feel that they're setting this dog up to fail in the long term, and the situation is at a very high risk of repeating.

I've only seen a few episodes of Victoria Stilwell's show, but I thought it was pretty good. I also enjoy watching Dogtown, which isn't strictly training, but they do talk a lot about what goes into rehabilitating dogs, even if they could stress the amount of time it really takes more. Psyche likes to watch Dogtown too :colbert:.

I think a good shaping session with a fast learning dog would be exciting for anyone who cares enough to seek out a dog show. I think good dog training tv can be done and anyways, anyone with half a brain should refuse to watch this drivel and not find it entertaining in the least...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

notsoape posted:

Oh now I see what I'm doing wrong with George! From now on, when he acts up in his crate, I'll drag him out and kick him in the head!!

Jesus Christ...

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Kiri koli posted:

I've only seen a few episodes of Victoria Stilwell's show, but I thought it was pretty good. I also enjoy watching Dogtown, which isn't strictly training, but they do talk a lot about what goes into rehabilitating dogs, even if they could stress the amount of time it really takes more. Psyche likes to watch Dogtown too :colbert:.

I've only seen bits of Stilwell's show, but what I've seen I've liked and obviously it has a good reputation around R+ training folks. However, my understanding is that in the most recent season they had to resort to cheap off-topic gags which focused more attention on the attractive tight-clothes wearing host than on actual dog training. I think it was an attempt to improve ratings.

The woman who heads my training facility is well known throughout Canada. She's trying to put together a dog training show and she was saying that it can be tough to make it exciting and something laypeople actually want to watch. It remains to be seen if she'll actually get something on the air. We've gotta create something to counteract Brad Pattison.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

a life less posted:

I've only seen bits of Stilwell's show, but what I've seen I've liked and obviously it has a good reputation around R+ training folks. However, my understanding is that in the most recent season they had to resort to cheap off-topic gags which focused more attention on the attractive tight-clothes wearing host than on actual dog training. I think it was an attempt to improve ratings.

I've only watched some of the older episodes, but from what I've seen of the newer commercials, yeah, this seems to be the path her show is taking. It sucks rear end, but gently caress it, whatever gets morons to watch a decent training show.

Also, I'm sure this has been mentioned, but I have no search function... What's a good way to go about teaching a heel? I thought of just starting off with luring for Shadow but wondered if there was a better way. Shadow is good at walking alongside-ish me, on or off-leash, but I thought it'd be good to teach something more formal as well.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 21, 2011

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)
You guys are a little out of date. Stillwell's latest season was more normal. Ironically, she had some of the most infuriating clients though, but she dealt with them fairly well. I don't watch it as regularly as I used to because of life/schedule, but it's the only credible training show that I've seen.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
The big problem for us in the UK is that Stilwell has left our shores and set up camp in the US. No-one has stepped up to fill her shoes except this guy - oh, and Cesar Milan is coming to the UK to do a series later next year :downs:

Here's a link to the actual clip of Jordan Shelley and the JRT, so you can see just how hosed up his methods were. It's even worse than what the pictures show.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

notsoape posted:

Here's a link to the actual clip of Jordan Shelley and the JRT, so you can see just how hosed up his methods were. It's even worse than what the pictures show.
That's loving infuriating. Preventing food/resource guarding from becoming a problem is literally the simplest thing and fixing it isn't that much more difficult either, it just takes more time. After a couple of minutes that idiot is shoving his foot into the dog's face without even giving it a chance to comply with his leave cue. The choice of background music also pisses me off. Rho was watching the clip with me and got visibly upset over it too. Even my dog knows better than this guy.

With regards to how exciting watching good training is, I guess it depends on how much of a crazy dog person you are. I'll watch a proficient trainer shape behaviors for hours and I've audited more than my share of training seminars. You can learn more from just observing than actually participating with your dog. (I'll admit though that getting Joe Average to watch real dog training might not be simple, because you do have to know what you're looking at and be motivated to learn from it.)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

notsoape posted:

Jesus christ that is pretty horrible to see. Depressing as hell when, at around 2:37, Roxy is too anxious to even eat. After the girl put the food down, poor dog got up so slowly.

She just looks so confused (and so fat, goddamn) the entire way through. She's probably understimulated as hell. An understimulated, overweight, nervous wreck.

It depresses me when people treat terriers harshly - because 'you have to show them who's boss! :downs:' or something. They are shockingly sensitive, and if you prove that all good things (food, opportunities to be off and running, etc) come from you, you get respect drat fast.

E:

The Kennel Club has put up a statement about Jordan Shelley too.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 21, 2011

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

notsoape posted:

The big problem for us in the UK is that Stilwell has left our shores and set up camp in the US. No-one has stepped up to fill her shoes except this guy - oh, and Cesar Milan is coming to the UK to do a series later next year :downs:

Interesting. Definitely didn't like his mannerisms, nor his methods. And yes, the dog is a little fattie.

He's just about as bad as Brad Pattison. Honestly, I was expecting someone worse, but, well, I don't think you can do much worse than him. Here's a link where you can watch his show if you're feeling up for it. It's called At the End Of My Leash. I guess since Pattison has been old news in Canada for years now it's pretty easy to grow accustomed to his terrible methods.

[E: Side note -- there was a Brad Pattison booth set up at a recent pet festival where my training facility was putting on a performance. Brad wasn't there, but his reps were, and they were stationed on the other side of the field to us. Each time we walked past they would be as sweet as pie to us ... sickeningly so. I'm kind of regretful that I didn't get a chance to stop and chat with them -- I was just too busy. But there's this hilarious and smarmy rivalry between our two camps at a lot of these events. Then their tent blew down, and we helped them put it back up.]

Rixatrix posted:

With regards to how exciting watching good training is, I guess it depends on how much of a crazy dog person you are. I'll watch a proficient trainer shape behaviors for hours and I've audited more than my share of training seminars. You can learn more from just observing than actually participating with your dog. (I'll admit though that getting Joe Average to watch real dog training might not be simple, because you do have to know what you're looking at and be motivated to learn from it.)

It's the Joe Average who ends up paying your bills though, and he wants to see big changes in short amounts of time. I agree though, I could watch a good dog trainer for hours.

a life less fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 21, 2011

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Victoria Stilwell has commented:

quote:

It doesn't suprise me that the BBC One Show execs are standing by their trainer Jordan Shelley who showed such irresponsible and dangerous techniques in order to curb a dog's foodbowl aggression. It shows that there is still so much ignorance when it comes to truly understanding and teaching dogs. The BBC pulled out of Crufts for breeding cruelty but yet they permit these inhumane techniques on their channel. Please to the general public - do not watch this man because you try his techniques at home, you WILL get bitten. Disgraceful!

I'm actually kind of proud of how the British dog community is responding to this :3:. Hopefully the RSPCA will be next to give their statement.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

notsoape posted:

Even if that wasn't just terrible in general, how does that "method" apply to a larger dog? If Major was a resource guarder (and thanks to serious preventative work he isn't) and that chucklefuck tried that he would end up with 87 lbs of dog going at his face, not a little jack russel chewing his shoes. Actually I don't want to know because it probably involves choking the dog until it "submits" and then waving the food bowl in its face.

ALL is right though, Brad Pattison is so much worse. Not only is he cruel to dogs but he's terrible to their owners too. He even regularly threatens to sue people who criticize his methods or in his training videos online.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Wow; I just looked Brad Pattison up on youtube and holy crap. At least Jordan Shelley didn't actually hit the dog, jesus :/.

Someone needs to get kikopup a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Things just got a little interesting :allears:

Victoria Stilwell posted:

"I'm worried now that the family is in danger of getting bitten by their JR after the abusive techniques that were used by Jordan shelley on the BBC's One Show and if so the JR will get put down. If anyone knows who the family is, please tell them that I will come over to England free of charge and teach them how to stop their dog guarding in a humane and beautifully effective way. No point in just complaining, I want to save this dog and this family. Please send this to everyone you know."

• Locked thread