Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sometimes, I'm not sure he isn't serious. Other times, he puts the pussy in a sarcophagus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007
After listening to WTT a couple times, I find it works best on shuffle... that or starting with Nigga's in Paris.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
The good songs on WTT are really good. I just wish there were more of them :\

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Listening to 808's properly for the first time, it's loving awesome

also obligatory Kanye album ranking

MBDTF > Graduation = 808s = College Dropout > Late Registration > Watch the Throne

bowmore fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 12, 2011

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Yeah 808's is awesome. More people should appreciate awesomeness.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I maintain that if he'd used a pseudonym and ditched robocop it'd be a lot more fondly remembered.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Robocop is one of my favorites from 808

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I saw him back in 2009 and I was telling my brother I hoped that he would play Paranoid, which is a personal favourite of mine, and he was like no way man and what did Kanye do?

He loving opened with Paranoid. SO loving GOOD

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

dolphins are gay posted:

I maintain that if he'd used a pseudonym and ditched robocop it'd be a lot more fondly remembered.

Robocop is my favorite song on the album.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
808s is one of my go-to "I feel like poo poo and hate my life" albums. Say You Will's instrumental is so loving dark.

my tier list

MBDTF=College Dropout>Graduation>LAte Registration=808s

It's very hard picking between Colo Drolo and MBDTF. CD is still the best lyrical album he's ever done, and I would love for him to go back to that semi-conscious style, but MBDTF was like a revelation. It made me realize that hip hop could provide such a big and varied musical journey. The dynamics and experimentation is out of this world, even if I don't know what half of the songs are about.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I like 808 because it is singly focused. I get it. College Dropout is like throwing everything at the album and most of it sticks.

temple fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 13, 2011

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

temple posted:

Watch the Throne still hasn't grown on me. Its painful to hear Jay and Kanye be socially conscious. Kanye won't commit to one sound and ops to make generalized music sort of like Michael Jackson. But WTT doesn't work for me and I doubt it reaches across borders. I think it really appeals to critics and hipsters while being shunned or ignored by everyone else. Its like privileged rap that only millionaires or wannabes can enjoy. I can't relate to much of the content, it comes off as forced, and the music tries to blend stuff I like separate.

So the album is painfully socially conscious.... and hedonistic rap that only appeals to rich people. Who are hipsters and music critics.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
I think that one thing that is often ignored from this album is the level to which Kanye's sexual jealousy has gone up. It's clear that he's always been a momma's boy - and that he always had the tendency to be jealous of his former sexual partners whenever they were with a new man. This tendency, however, since his mother's death, has only become worse. 808s and Heartbreak and MBDTF were really about this in general, but it seems that on Watch the Throne, he is a lot more 'monstrous' than he's ever been towards his ex's. The fact that Kanye still keeps taking shots at Amber Rose and Wiz Khalifa, and the first half of his verse in "Illest Motherfucker Alive" (which, btw, is the best song) show that he deals with this pretty intensely. These lines from "No Church in the Wild" kind of sum it up:

We formed a new religion
No sins as long as there’s permission
And deception is the only felony
So never gently caress nobody without telling me

Either way, I think that the album is great. Jay-Z's performance is much more subtle, but it is still very successful at what he was aiming for. Kanye, I think, did really well. It does exactly what they wanted it to do. Yes, at first it sounded incredibly fractured for me, but I think that this stems from the fact that they recorded it in a way that I wouldn't have assumed to be the best way : they recorded it when it was convenient for them, in a billion different cities, in studios and in hotel rooms - so it wasn't their first priority in the past year. Jay-Z and Kanye stated that there were a number of creative differences that went into the album - and I think that's what the interludes are for - to separate these "album ideas."

Also if you don't like "Lift Off" - seriously blast that trash super loud when you're driving - it's a jam.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Agreed on the Lift Off comment. Every time it comes on in the car I have to sit there and sing along like a weirdo in front of my friends.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Maybe old news? Pilot for a puppet show called "Alligator Boots" featuring Kanye. It never saw the light of day
though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFgGG9wr4kY

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
That looks loving horrible, thank god they threw it out.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Yeah that looks bad but I love the idea of Kanye being approached to produce a sketch comedy show and he demands "Naw, it's gotta have PUPPETS" and then dresses up as a stormtrooper.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

a milk crime posted:

I think that one thing that is often ignored from this album is the level to which Kanye's sexual jealousy has gone up. It's clear that he's always been a momma's boy - and that he always had the tendency to be jealous of his former sexual partners whenever they were with a new man. This tendency, however, since his mother's death, has only become worse. 808s and Heartbreak and MBDTF were really about this in general, but it seems that on Watch the Throne, he is a lot more 'monstrous' than he's ever been towards his ex's. The fact that Kanye still keeps taking shots at Amber Rose and Wiz Khalifa, and the first half of his verse in "Illest Motherfucker Alive" (which, btw, is the best song) show that he deals with this pretty intensely.

His verse in Illest Mother Fucker Alive is just SAVAGE. When I realized what he was getting at with the "Russel aint the only Russel" shot I was like "daaaaamn"

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

the Bunt posted:

His verse in Illest Mother Fucker Alive is just SAVAGE. When I realized what he was getting at with the "Russel aint the only Russel" shot I was like "daaaaamn"

I don't even understand what it is supposed to mean, is this some sort of slang that I am not getting :(

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

teacup posted:

I don't even understand what it is supposed to mean, is this some sort of slang that I am not getting :(

If you ever are confused about any rap line, rap genius dot com is your friend.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

a milk crime posted:

If you ever are confused about any rap line, rap genius dot com is your friend.

I love that site as a concept but holy poo poo :spergin:

quote:

Got staples on my dick (why) fuckin' centerfolds

The center of magazines like Playboy usually has staples holding the binding together. Now that he’s older, Kanye is loving the actual models (the centerfolds) as opposed to jerking off to them (what you usually do to Playboy magazine photos). This ties into the previous line concerning the condom.

quote:

Let me show you what I see when my eyes closed

A reference to Kanye’s big dreams. Generally one closes their eyes to sleep (though some can actually sleep with their eyes open) and dreams are highly associated with sleeping. It makes sense also since he is speaking to making money and his first album and being rich.

quote:

Zero Zero Zero Zero, a whole lot of 0's

The way he says “0’s” sounds like “hoes”, which makes sense since the purpose of this line is to suggest that those who make money get girls who like guys who make money

Doubles as a reference to Crow Zero, a Japanese film based on the Crows manga, and to how big Kanye’s paycheck is

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

webmeister posted:

I love that site as a concept but holy poo poo :spergin:

Yeah there is some spergin, but there is some very insightful commenting (at least I find as a philosophy student the connection between No Church in the Wild and Euthyphro insightful). You do have to realize that spergin will happen any time that a user can earn points for submitting comments - so then of course you get homies submitting the most obvious comments - they need those points (bitcoins???)

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

teacup posted:

He's talking about Russel Simmons who Amber Rose had a fling or whatever with. He's implying since she is only out for money that there are also many other rich stars like Russel Brand/Russel Crowe.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm a yeezy noob (I've only got Graduation, 808s, MBDTF and Throne) but even just between those, it's been getting progressively dark for sure, although at least MBDTF at least has an uplifting end.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The problem with Watch the Throne as others said is there isn't really a theme, it's hard to just listen to the thing. It's great to pick out a few songs here and there depending what you're in the mood for.

Also I guess this was an unavoidable problem but an entire album of Jay-Z and Kanye might be too much, it feels forced where every song it's like "Okay here's where Jay gets his turn, now back to Kanye." I think it would have been stronger if they traded off songs and only did vocals on a few together.

temple posted:

I like 808 because it is singly focused. I get it. College Dropout is like throwing everything at the album and most of it sticks.

I loving love College Dropout but I always kind of stop once it gets to the Jimmy skits, it really drops off for me at that point.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'd just like to talk about skits on rap albums in general: They all suck, and rappers should stop doing them. They are never, NEVER, funny, clever, or entertaining. They are boring at best and like, retarded levels of stupid at worst. I'm so loving glad Kanye stopped doing them, and I hope I never have to hear another one of them on anyone's album, ever again.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
I like the skits on Stankonia. Kim and Cookie is a drat fine skit.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I never understood skits on rap albums. Like, of all the genres to have skits thrown on an album, rap is the one that fits the least, I think. Where did they come from? Why are they on the majority of rap albums? I hate them all.

Watch the Throne is all over the place. Each song sounds entirely different than the last. Not that that's a bad thing, but it doesn't really work as an album. No flow to it, it's just a collection of songs. Makes it difficult to listen all the way through, so it's just way easier to cherry pick a few songs off the album and put them into a playlist.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

safety dan posted:

I like the skits on Stankonia. Kim and Cookie is a drat fine skit.

I always wished Cruisin' in the ATL was a full song and not a skit :(

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

TheJoker138 posted:

I'd just like to talk about skits on rap albums in general: They all suck, and rappers should stop doing them. They are never, NEVER, funny, clever, or entertaining. They are boring at best and like, retarded levels of stupid at worst. I'm so loving glad Kanye stopped doing them, and I hope I never have to hear another one of them on anyone's album, ever again.

I'll fuckin I'll fuckin tie you to a fuckin bedpost with your rear end cheeks spread out and poo poo Right? Put a hanger on a fuckin stove and let that poo poo sit there for like a half hour Take it off and stick it in your rear end slow like Tssssssss

Yeah, I'll fuckin Yeah I'll fuckin lay your nuts on a fuckin dresser Just your nuts layin on a fuckin dresser And bang them shits with a spiked fuckin bat Ooooohhhh Whassup? BLAOWWW!!

I'll fuckin I'll fuckin pull your fuckin tongue out your fuckin mouth and stab the poo poo with a rusty screwdriver, BLAOWW!! I'll fuckin

I'll fuckin I'll fuckin hang you by your fuckin dick off a fuckin twelve sto-story building out this motherfucker

I'll fuckin I'll fuckin sew your rear end in a top hat closed, and keep feedin you and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

That was an intro to a song, and not a skit :colbert:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This was the moment I realised all my Wu Tang mp3s were gone from my computer. Now to re-rip all the CDs. Yay.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

TheJoker138 posted:

That was an intro to a song, and not a skit :colbert:

It would still be considered a skit. Skits are often intros to songs - all of the Kanye skits serve as intros to song. Skits are a great part of the rap album for the period of time in which they were featured. (trying to stop this derail).

Was anyone else underwhelmed by the video for Marvin and Chardonnay? Doesn't help that I don't really like Big Sean (only posting to talk about Kanye). Kanye's verse is the better verse, but Hype Williams basically made a lazy version of Gold Digger 2011. Of course, that being said, all the girls are p hot.

Does anyone have a favorite underplayed Kanye video? Everyone knows the major videos that got played all the time, but there are some videos that didn't get played nearly as much as like, Jesus Walks or Gold Digger.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

The skits on The College Dropout, despite being hilariously anti-college, are pretty loving funny.
Edit: Specifically the School Spirit sketches. The workout plan one isn't so funny.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 19, 2011

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
Havent seen this posted so check it out: http://vimeo.com/28058975
Epic, 20 minute version of Runaway from the Coke Live festival in Cracow, *cough* which I was at *cough*. It's worth watching the whole way through. Last date of his mini-tour this summer, and it was amazing.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Kanye is definitely at the very top of my list of acts I NEED to see. I hope he does a full fledged tour very soon.

Iroohik
Jul 25, 2007
As seen on nothing at all!
Yeah, I feel the same way. It was painful, but the tickets for the Watch the Throne tour were stupid expensive, and I had to pass on that. Most of the price has to be Jay-Z, and I'm just not that big a fan of his.

oye como va
Oct 25, 2005
:slick:
I really enjoy about half of the tracks on WTT and Niggas In Paris is my absolute favorite track. I love blasting it when I'm cruisin' around suburbia :cool:

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I feel like theres no way Jay-Z can be that great of a performer. Could be very wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

I feel like theres no way Jay-Z can be that great of a performer. Could be very wrong though.

I've seen him twice. He's pretty awesome. Full band, horn section, the works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWyyFRbeGEE&feature=related

• Locked thread