Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.

Rabidsamba posted:

There goes my weekend

Seriously I'm on episode 6 now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
If you love when a movie is so bad it starts being good/hilarious, I have to recommend Shaolin Grandma.

It was terrible, but I couldn't stop laughing.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Narwhale posted:

Breaking Bad Seasons 1-3 are now up. Please watch it as soon as possible.

poo poo yes. If the opening of the pilot isn't enough to hook you then you should just give up on serialized TV forever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyGxROwihHs

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Narwhale posted:

Breaking Bad Seasons 1-3 are now up. Please watch it as soon as possible.

This just tells me to never buy seasons of anything ever again. I bought 1-3 on blu ray about a month ago. gently caress.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I bought the complete series of Farscape... about one week before it went on Netflix. I'm in season 3 and still haven't cracked open the dvd set.

Mr. Kennedy
May 24, 2003

I weigh in tonight at an astonishing 242 lbs. From Green Bay Wisconsin, MISTER KENNEDY!!!!!!! KENNEDY...

red19fire posted:

It's been mentioned before, but holy poo poo this movie. It's a one-in-a-million film in a sea of generic Korean revenge movies. See this before Hollywood makes a Gritty Reboot with Robert Pattinson or whoever.

Not sure if you were joking or not, but wasnt The Taken based off The Man From Nowhere?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

11b1p posted:

Seriously I'm on episode 6 now

Christ, now I'm 6 episodes in in one day too. This show is pretty awesome but I'll have to say a major weakness in the show, for me, so far is the fact that the guy's whole family are such insufferable twats. They are a little too much like caricatures when White himself is such an awesome character. I like his partner but he looks and sounds a little too much like Jason Mewes for my taste.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Zwabu posted:

Christ, now I'm 6 episodes in in one day too. This show is pretty awesome but I'll have to say a major weakness in the show, for me, so far is the fact that the guy's whole family are such insufferable twats. They are a little too much like caricatures when White himself is such an awesome character. I like his partner but he looks and sounds a little too much like Jason Mewes for my taste.

I zoomed through all of Season 1 yesterday, and largely agree. The two women are the most annoying (Skyler and her sister), but so far, every non-Walter character in the show is really obnoxious and hard to like. This is the same way I felt watching Dexter, where every character who wasn't Dexter got on my nerves and dragged the pacing down with their subplots.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I zoomed through all of Season 1 yesterday, and largely agree. The two women are the most annoying (Skyler and her sister), but so far, every non-Walter character in the show is really obnoxious and hard to like. This is the same way I felt watching Dexter, where every character who wasn't Dexter got on my nerves and dragged the pacing down with their subplots.

Yeah there are a lot of Dexter-like elements, but I think the show is much better written than Dexter and, so far, a lot less cheesy. I find Walter's wife and sister to be annoying in a similar way to Rita on Dexter.

Like Dexter, the show also has the built in plot element of whether Walter will get caught that will make for convenient suspense whenever needed. That's okay though, I love to see any TV that's so well written and produced.

I like the Jesse character, he's grown on me. The episode that he spent at his family's house really made his character for me.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

FizzyJuffoWup posted:

This just tells me to never buy seasons of anything ever again. I bought 1-3 on blu ray about a month ago. gently caress.

Feel free to buy HBO shows on disc, I can assure you they will never be on Netflix Instant.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Jibo posted:

Feel free to buy HBO shows on disc, I can assure you they will never be on Netflix Instant.

Thing is, HBO has HBO2GO where you can stream their shows and movies, if you have HDMI output on computer or laptop you can play it on a bigscreen.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
HBO GO is amazing... They have every episode of every show, and a ton of movies as well. Makes the added cost of subscribing to HBO each month much easier to swallow (during those times when there isn't much on I watch).

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Zwabu posted:

Thing is, HBO has HBO2GO where you can stream their shows and movies, if you have HDMI output on computer or laptop you can play it on a bigscreen.

I don't know, I just haven't been sold on paying twice as much as I pay for Netflix just to watch Curb your Enthusiasm and Boardwalk Empire.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Jibo posted:

I don't know, I just haven't been sold on paying twice as much as I pay for Netflix just to watch Curb your Enthusiasm and Boardwalk Empire.

Yeah, I already subscribe to HBO as part of my TV package, but I probably wouldn't pay for it if I didn't already have it just to stream Sopranos, Entourage etc.

M.Renton
Nov 19, 2009
Netflix is now streaming "15 seasons" of Top Gear. Always worth a watch.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Yeah there are a lot of Dexter-like elements, but I think the show is much better written than Dexter and, so far, a lot less cheesy. I find Walter's wife and sister to be annoying in a similar way to Rita on Dexter.

Like Dexter, the show also has the built in plot element of whether Walter will get caught that will make for convenient suspense whenever needed. That's okay though, I love to see any TV that's so well written and produced.

I like the Jesse character, he's grown on me. The episode that he spent at his family's house really made his character for me.

That's the thing about Breaking Bad, every character eventually gets further development to flesh them out and make them much more believable and interesting.

But there's been a long, long history of Skyler hatred in the TVIV thread, mostly because she's the character whose actions are contrary to the protagonist's desires, which can be frustrating if you're that kind of viewer (but doesn't actually make her not a great character).

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Heres Hank posted:

every character eventually gets further development to flesh them out and make them much more believable and interesting.

Except for Walt Jr. Nuh-nuh-nuhobody gets more boring.

Edit: Watch "The Hustler" if you like classic films. Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason.

a dingus has a new favorite as of 01:49 on Sep 12, 2011

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

On the first episode of season 2 of Breaking Bad. Watched it all today.

Skyler is cool but her sister is loving annoying. Hank is awesome. I want Walter Jr. to get more development because he's usually just background dressing.

This show is amazing. Vince Gilligan has been awesome since X-Files. I can't wait to see what he does next.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Practical Demon posted:

I'll agree with that, to an extent. I think some of the show was supposed to be parodying those kinds of cliches, or at least paying tribute to them, so I didn't take it totally at face value.

The first half of the series was mindless, but enjoyable. The second half made me start hating the characters. So yeah, proceed with caution and only if you have a love of silly giant robots wearing sunglasses.

Here's my rule for any Netflix-hosted anime with a North American ADR team (especially Funimation)--watch one episode, then draw conclusions. Some shows are loving unwatchable because of bad dubbers. TTGL is one of them. Find it in Japanese with decent subtitlers. You'd be surprised how big a difference it can make.

Rabidsamba posted:

Not sure if its been mentioned, but I just finished watching Wristcutters: A Love Story on instant and was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it considering it was just a random movie I saw scrolling through the main page on Netflix.

Such a stellar film. Glad you enjoyed it.

Alright, tonight, we're trying this Top Gear thing you guys and gals can't seem to stop talking about. Hope it ends up being as good as you all say :ohdear:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
It's weird because I remember having one of my English online buddies send me recorded Top Gear episodes on CD back in 2003. Now all we have to do is boot up our XBoxes to watch it.

It's a good show for car people (gently caress those who say it isn't anymore) and people who just like watching the English gently caress around for an hour.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

Jibo posted:

It's weird because I remember having one of my English online buddies send me recorded Top Gear episodes on CD back in 2003. Now all we have to do is boot up our XBoxes to watch it.

It's a good show for car people (gently caress those who say it isn't anymore) and people who just like watching the English gently caress around for an hour.

I'm not a car person at all but Top Gear is so awesome. It has actually made me more interested in cars.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

For anyone that was a fan of Whose Line is it Anyway? or improv in general, it's really hard to go wrong with Colin & Brad: Two Man Group. Neither comedian has lost their touch with improv, and since they're not on ABC they can get away with more jokes that would've been taken out or censored from Whose Line.

Death Dealer has a new favorite as of 03:21 on Sep 14, 2011

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Does anyone else have audio problems? I'm cruising through Breaking Bad, and if there's no background noise, the audio won't pick up until a second or two after people start speaking. It's really bad on cartoons like South Park, but now it's happening to me on tv shows as well. Is it just that my connection sucks (same thing on both comcast and optimum), or should I adjust something in my router? Reporting it on netflix does nothing for me.

E: it must be on netflix's end, the audio is missing in the same spots when I rewind.

red19fire has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Sep 12, 2011

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Smeed posted:

Except for Walt Jr. Nuh-nuh-nuhobody gets more boring.

For a teenage character with cerebral palsy played by a teenage actor with cerebral palsy, he actually holds his own being charismatic with Bryan Cranston around. And even though he's never a featured character (which, seriously, you would actually want that?), he gets plenty of development later when he refuses to be called by his nickname after his dad gets kicked out, instead insisting he be called Walter Jr. Not to mention every other second he spends on screen hating Skyler for the exact same reasons the viewers hate Skyler.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Zwabu posted:

... the guy's whole family are such insufferable twats. They are a little too much like caricatures when White himself is such an awesome character. I like his partner but he looks and sounds a little too much like Jason Mewes for my taste.

All the characters have periods where they are unlikable, even Walter. Few of them are the same through the seasons. It's not a feel-good show except for rare moments.

red19fire posted:

Does anyone else have audio problems?

Fairly rarely. I had terrible problems with Earth 2 for several days, reported it, and it disappeared within about 24 hours. Don't know if they fixed it or it was just coincidence. Yesterday I had some loud pops and distortions like feedback on Farscape, first time I've had any significant problems with that show.

SuperLobster
Oct 10, 2003

An average crustacean one day blessed with incredible powers!
Not to steer the conversation back to anime, but any opinions on the Now and Then, Here and There series? My types of anime would include Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo. From the trailer on Netflix they make the show seem somewhat serious.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

SuperLobster posted:

Not to steer the conversation back to anime, but any opinions on the Now and Then, Here and There series? My types of anime would include Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo. From the trailer on Netflix they make the show seem somewhat serious.

Never seen it myself, but from what I've heard it is a extremely depressing anime. Very serious.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

casual poster posted:

Never seen it myself, but from what I've heard it is a extremely depressing anime. Very serious.

Yeah, supposedly it makes School Days and Elfen Lied look like Sesame Street. It's been in our Instant Queue for a while but we haven't been in the mood to have our hearts ripped out recently.

Another depressing (but not excessively so) anime available for streaming is Gunslinger Girl. It tells the story of a group of young girls that have been physically and mentally modified to be government assassins. It sounds like a stupid gimmick designed to shoehorn little girls into an action anime, but it watches like a series of case studies instead.

Top Gear is ...okay. Maybe we just don't "get" it? The host is a funny guy and cars are neat but I don't see us watching any more of it. I started us at the beginning of season 3 because I read earlier in the thread that they got a new host and format for the show. It's not a bad show, just not my kind of thing, I guess.

Exam is a pretty neat "psychological thriller" where a group of job applicants are put in a room together and given a certain amount of time to answer a question, only they don't know what the question is.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

SuperLobster posted:

It's a tough sit, basically a story about kids being forced into military service. Has a scene that actually made me wince a bit.

Speaking of pain, if you guys are up for an awesome bad movie, there are few more awesome than the Golan-Globus cocaine-fueled frenzy "The Apple", which takes place in the far-off future of 1994, where disco is the only form of music that exists, record labels have dominated the world, and everyone must wear a 'BIM mark' (actually a glittery silver sticker of a triangle) on their cheeks. Legend has it that at an advance screening of this movie, the audience started throwing their free promotional copies of the soundtrack at the screen.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Speaking of awesome bad films, Evil Alien Conquerors is a 2002 sci-fi b-movie romp featuring Chris Parnell, Diedrich Bader, Michael Weston, and Phil LaMarr. It's as if they set out to capture the very essence of the b-movie, and boy, did they pull it off!

benzero
May 25, 2005

Brains for dinner, brains for lunch, brains for breakfast, brains for brunch.
Oh you fuckers who recommended that Dear Zachary....gently caress YOU. I wanted to go find that woman and re-kill her. The heartbreak on the grandparents...I have no idea how they are still living

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Evil Alien Conquerors

Oh god, I can't watch this movie. I had a few friends who were obsessed with watching this over and over, quoting it any chance they got. "Who would do such a thing Croker? Only an rear end in a top hat Croker." Ha freakin' ha ha. In our little circle it was worse than The Holy Grail and Princess Bride combined.

Just thinking about it makes me twitch.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Another depressing (but not excessively so) anime available for streaming is Gunslinger Girl. It tells the story of a group of young girls that have been physically and mentally modified to be government assassins. It sounds like a stupid gimmick designed to shoehorn little girls into an action anime, but it watches like a series of case studies instead.

Top Gear is ...okay. Maybe we just don't "get" it? The host is a funny guy and cars are neat but I don't see us watching any more of it. I started us at the beginning of season 3 because I read earlier in the thread that they got a new host and format for the show. It's not a bad show, just not my kind of thing, I guess.

Just note that there are 2 seasons of Gunslinger Girl (Don't know if second is on Instant for sure, but just to be safe) and while the first season is good as you describe, the 2nd season is pretty much just gimmicky little girls anime essentially.

As for Top Gear, if you didn't like season 3, try something more recent like Seasons 7 or 10 as they get into more of the gimmicky stuff and less hard car stuff. Just bother with one of those seasons though, if you still don't like it after watching one of those newer seasons as well, then yeah you probably won't like any of it.

And speaking of anime on Netflix, does anyone know which series are available as original audio/subtitled as opposed to dubbed? The only one I've encountered so far in original audio was Monster.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Revdomezehis posted:

And speaking of anime on Netflix, does anyone know which series are available as original audio/subtitled as opposed to dubbed? The only one I've encountered so far in original audio was Monster.

No hard and fast rule on this, but more Viz released stuff is subbed, more Funimation stuff is dubbed.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Goddamn... how could I have forgotten "The Music Lovers", which may be one of the best movies nobody has seen. It's from Ken Russell, the guy who did "The Devils", "Lair of the White Worm", "Mahler", and "Women in Love", and it's the story of Tchaikovsky. Glenda Jackson's performance as Tchaikovsky's wife is unforgettable, plus there's loads of outstanding visuals, including an infamous rendition of the "1812 Overture" that's sure to make your jaw drop to the floor, and creepy sex a-plenty. I paid $70 to get this movie used on laserdisc several years ago (only way to get it in widescreen until Netflix Instant) and it was worth every cent.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Good god, just finished the second season of Breaking Bad and this show doesn't pull any punches. Those last two episodes are brutal. Such a good show. Thanks whoever posted that it was up in this thread because this is how I found out.

E: Also Gus is so loving cool.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Revdomezehis posted:

Just note that there are 2 seasons of Gunslinger Girl (Don't know if second is on Instant for sure, but just to be safe) and while the first season is good as you describe, the 2nd season is pretty much just gimmicky little girls anime essentially.

Season 2 is available. The focus does shift to more to the girls themselves rather than the relationships between them and their handlers, but in hindsight, the first season addresses many of the socio/psychological implications of the program, so maybe the creators decided that a new approach was necessary. If you get an episode or two in and decide you don't like the new style, skip to episode 8 to see a bizarre yet soul-crushing "Scarborough Fair"-themed episode about Claes.

As far as language options, Captain Stinkybutt is right. Funimation earned a reputation years ago for doing really, really lovely jobs with their dubs, but nowadays they seem to be getting their act together a little. They did well with Spice and Wolf, for instance, but stay the gently caress away from Pumpkin Scissors--their dub work makes it unwatchable.

Oh, and speaking of tone changes across seasons and Spice and Wolf, if you enjoyed the emphasis on trading and negotiating in the first season, don't bother with the second. Artistically, it's very well done, but content-wise it's very disappointing. The focus shifts from trading and making deals to the main characters' relationship, and the show was already about a woman with wolf ears and a tail--adding awkward sexual tension to the mix is pandering to an audience that I want nothing to do with.

Thanks for the Top Gear advice. We'll give it another try.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Gakuen mokushiroku: Highschool of the dead is up, not sure how long but it just showed up in my recommendations. I watched one episode. It's basically Dawn of the Dead '04 in a Japanese high school with lots and lots of gratuitous panty shots and bouncing boobies, other than that it was pretty decent. It's rated highly enough for me to watch a few episodes and see if I like it.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

wormil posted:

Gakuen mokushiroku: Highschool of the dead is up, not sure how long but it just showed up in my recommendations. I watched one episode. It's basically Dawn of the Dead '04 in a Japanese high school with lots and lots of gratuitous panty shots and bouncing boobies, other than that it was pretty decent. It's rated highly enough for me to watch a few episodes and see if I like it.

Having watched half of the show in a day, I can say the show is pretty good, and the Dawn of the Dead similarities keep coming. Though if the gratuitous panty shots and bouncing breasts were making you reconsider, it only keeps going. Plus one episode which is basically the equivalent of a "Hot Springs" episode of a lot of other anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Death Dealer posted:

Having watched half of the show in a day, I can say the show is pretty good, and the Dawn of the Dead similarities keep coming. Though if the gratuitous panty shots and bouncing breasts were making you reconsider, it only keeps going. Plus one episode which is basically the equivalent of a "Hot Springs" episode of a lot of other anime.

It pays homage to many other zombie classics along the way. Good to know that all the hot girls survive the apocalypse and that they choose to be scantily clad, still no character is marginalized, each play a role. I plowed through all 12 episodes and look forward to more.

• Locked thread