Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

FelicityGS posted:

If it's socks, I knit the first one, decide that it is too small/not pretty enough/too boring and never knit the next one.

I have a sock from 2 years ago my mother keeps prodding me to make the match to because she liked the first one.

Yeah. :ohdear:

I learned how to two at a time just to avoid this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Arghh. Has anyone in here ever knit the Aeolian shawl from Knitty?

I just finished the transition chart (first nuups!) and I'm trying to move on to the Agave chart, but it seems like things aren't lining up. Well, I don't know if they're supposed to line up or not. There are beads on the first row of the agave chart and nuups on the last row of the transition chart, but it seems random where they fall relative to each other. Sometimes the bead is right above the nuup, sometimes it's two stitches to the left...driving me loving crazy here.

EDIT: why didn't I check ravlery first? The chart directions for ssk and ssSk and k2tog and k3tog are exactly the same except one is bold print. Whoooooops.

Bob Shadycharacter fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 20, 2011

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Somewhere I've got half a cabled cardigan that's being unraveled and knit into half a lace blanket that's being unraveled and knit into a shrug.

I'm just going to pretend it's an art instillation or something.

If it's made of 100% natural materials, you could post it to me, I'll dip it in slip (liquid clay) and fire it at school in the kiln and then it will be ugly, pointless and fragile!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

If it's made of 100% natural materials, you could post it to me, I'll dip it in slip (liquid clay) and fire it at school in the kiln and then it will be ugly, pointless and fragile!

Wait, can you actually do that?

Because if you can then I totally wasted my ceramics classes on stupid change bowls :argh:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

All I can think of now is an alternative history where knights were going around in ceramic-coated sweaters.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Wandering Knitter posted:

Wait, can you actually do that?

Because if you can then I totally wasted my ceramics classes on stupid change bowls :argh:

Uh yeah. You can. As long as it's definitely natural material and not too thick, you just dip the item in slip, form it into a shape as it dries, fire in the kiln. The natural material burns away, leaving the fired clay shell. It wouldn't make a perfect replica of the item, but it would still be pretty cool.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

Uh yeah. You can. As long as it's definitely natural material and not too thick, you just dip the item in slip, form it into a shape as it dries, fire in the kiln. The natural material burns away, leaving the fired clay shell. It wouldn't make a perfect replica of the item, but it would still be pretty cool.

Dude that would be amazing. Lace vases!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

That is loving AMAZING :aaa:

Do you have any pictures of examples?

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
There was a tumblr post a couple of days ago about doing (crochet) lace doilies dipped in porcelain and then fired in the shape of bowls. I cannot for the life of me find it again though. Here is a link to the concept.
http://hollyloydsculpture.blogspot.com/2011/01/ceramics-5-work-slip-dipping.html

On an unrelated note I want to do this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/47438967/hand-knitted-cream-aran-armchair-slip

Ebolalobe
Jun 29, 2010
I feel like such an idiot, but can someone help me with this pattern?

When I first tried it, I ended up with way too many stitches after the toe part. So then I took that off and knit it without the pattern so I'd end up with 54 stitches. Now I'm on the foot portion and it's like my eyes are reading it but my brain rejects the information. Am I knitting each of the triangles on their own? If I'm knitting the squares on their own, how do they connect with the knit portion of the sock so seamlessly like in the pictures? I just don't get it, :(

Brazilian Werewolf
Dec 6, 2006
--dies at the end.
Cross-posted from the Adventure Time thread (WANDERING KNITTER I SAW YOU IN THERE):

I knitted a Lemongrab* for my boyfriend. Sorry for lovely cellphone pics in advance (THEY ARE IN UNACCAPTAAAAABLE.. CONDITIOOOON!!! UNACCEPTABLE)

pictured riding this horrible pig thing I have and also using my needle as a sword (have not made the sword yet!!!)

profile to show off the booty and the booties

FO' MAH KNITTAS:
This thing is entirely seamless (aside from the belt being attached with weaved in scraps), knitted top-down. I frogged it like eight times before I got proportions I liked, and by the end couldn't stop laughing every time I looked at it.

The feet are legitimate socks: doing a short row on 6 stitches was hilarious, but it came out totally worth it. The rounded butt (which does actually have incredibly well-defined cheeks) was a ton of rapid increases over 3 rows, then ending it. I'm getting better at knitting characters and having a blast doing it, haha.

*If you don't watch Adventure Time and wanna know who the hell this is, here's a 2 min clip to let you know.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Brazilian Werewolf posted:

Cross-posted from the Adventure Time thread (WANDERING KNITTER I SAW YOU IN THERE):

I'll go back once the "THIS SHOW IS SEXIST AND RAPE FILLED" comments stop. :v:

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Hello, knitting goons! I have come from a land far away to show you my knits.

I decided to pick knitting up about three weeks ago, bought some yarn and needles, and spent a week struggling before finally having one of those wonderful epiphanies where you realize what you're doing wrong. Definitely got a lot of odd looks from family for this, as I tend to just jump headlong into something I want to do, so it was all kinds of sudden for them.

I finished my first real project earlier this week, and so I'm here to post, cause this thread needs more posts.

Pattern on Ravelry
Spent last weekend doing that, the brown stripes just got thrown in as I wanted to do something other than endless knit stitches. I probably should have looked up how to do it properly, but it came out okay anyway, and even if they didn't they don't show. So I obviously need to improve my planning skills. I'm also not really happy with how ragged the cast on edge looks, so I think I'll try something more consistent than just knitting on for my next project.

Also:

Pattern on Ravelry
Just a dish cloth. Done when I was almost finished with the cap, and couldn't stand doing any more work on it. I really like the colorway, my camera however washes out the dark green into a more brown/gray. Also knitting on the bias is the best thing ever, and I don't know why I'd ever knit something normally if I could do it diagonally.

Next project will be cables, cause I don't think I can take nothing but knit again. Cables Everywhere! :toot:

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 2, 2011

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Unhappy Meal posted:

Hello, knitting goons! I have come from a land far away to show you my knits.

I decided to pick knitting up about three weeks ago, bought some yarn and needles, and spent a week struggling before finally having one of those wonderful epiphanies where you realize what you're doing wrong. Definitely got a lot of odd looks from family for this, as I tend to just jump headlong into something I want to do, so it was all kinds of sudden for them.

I finished my first real project earlier this week, and so I'm here to post, cause this thread needs more posts.

Pattern on Ravelry
Spent last weekend doing that, the brown stripes just got thrown in as I wanted to do something other than endless knit stitches. I probably should have looked up how to do it properly, but it came out okay anyway, and even if they didn't they don't show. So I obviously need to improve my planning skills. I'm also not really happy with how ragged the cast on edge looks, so I think I'll try something more consistent than just knitting on for my next project.

Also:

Pattern on Ravelry
Just a dish cloth. Done when I was almost finished with the cap, and couldn't stand doing any more work on it. I really like the colorway, my camera however washes out the dark green into a more brown/gray. Also knitting on the bias is the best thing ever, and I don't know why I'd ever knit something normally if I could do it diagonally.

Next project will be cables, cause I don't think I can take nothing but knit again. Cables Everywhere! :toot:

one of us, one of us, one of us....

Definitely check out different cast ons, knitting on is a huge pain anyway, if you ask me. A basic one that looks nice is the long-tail cast on, but I usually use the German twisted cast on, because I like mine super super stretchy. This site: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on has videos for every cast on that I've ever used, and they are super helpful.

Good luck! Cabling is really easy once you figure out what you are actually doing (just rearranging stitches every few rows) and it makes your knitting skillz look way more impressive than just plain knit fabric (also known as stockinette stitch).

ReneaKat
Dec 11, 2010
I have a question, fellow knitters. I consider myself at about medicore knitting status. I pretty much just jump in there and try different things, frog them 2 or 3 times until I get what I like, and do a lot of internet knitting video watching to figure things out.

Up until now, I've only knit things that don't really require a gauge swatch. But my husband wants the Morgan hat from Knitty, so I read a few sites and knit up my swatch. It's supposed to be "19 st and 31 rows = 4 inches." My rows match perfectly, but I have too many stitches per inch. If I increase my needle size, won't it affect the number of rows? Is stitch count more important than row count?

I couldn't find anything on the internet about this. I can't imagine I'm the only one this happens to. What should I do?

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I understand that stitch count is more important than row count, since it's a good deal harder to put more stitches on horizontally than it is to add a new row vertically and check how long your piece is with a tape measure. If you get a few too many rows to the inch, you could always simply knit fewer rows. Probably best to measure your husband's head, though - and remember that knitted hats are meant to stretch to fit.

ReneaKat
Dec 11, 2010

Jollity Farm posted:

I understand that stitch count is more important than row count, since it's a good deal harder to put more stitches on horizontally than it is to add a new row vertically and check how long your piece is with a tape measure. If you get a few too many rows to the inch, you could always simply knit fewer rows. Probably best to measure your husband's head, though - and remember that knitted hats are meant to stretch to fit.

Thanks, that's a great idea! He's got a massive head, so I've already measured to be sure. I've made beanie-style hats before, but this one is like an Irish driving cap style, so it's a bit different. I usually pick projects that incorporate something I've never done before to make them interesting. Even though I've convinced myself that I'm making everyone a pair of French Press slippers for Christmas.

DeeZee
Jun 9, 2004
Super bumble bee

Brazilian Werewolf posted:

Amazing knitted lemongrab

Ooooh this is so cool!!

I want one!

I wish I knew how to knit toys. I can crochet them but I have trouble knitting anything without a pattern that isn't a scarf.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

DeeZee posted:

Ooooh this is so cool!!

I want one!

I wish I knew how to knit toys. I can crochet them but I have trouble knitting anything without a pattern that isn't a scarf.

Get a copy of this: http://www.amazon.com/Amigurumi-Knits-Patterns-Cute-Mini/dp/1589234359

The patterns are very detailed and clear! And knitting toys is an awesome way to learn new techniques like short rows or grafting because they're small, take not very much yarn or time, and don't have to fit anyone when they're done. And it's so much fun.

Brazilian Werewolf
Dec 6, 2006
--dies at the end.

Get a copy of this: http://www.amazon.com/Amigurumi-Knits-Patterns-Cute-Mini/dp/1589234359

The patterns are very detailed and clear! And knitting toys is an awesome way to learn new techniques like short rows or grafting because they're small, take not very much yarn or time, and don't have to fit anyone when they're done. And it's so much fun.

Yes!! :3: This sounds perfect for anyone who wants to start knitting toys.

@DeeZee I actually have never read anything on knitting amigurumi, I just got really into knitting socks and realized that short rows and different strategic decreases (exactly what Bob is saying up here) are a lot of fun and make for really cool shapes, so I started trying to knit different characters from different things and it worked out wonderfully. It's a lot of fun, and it's made me want to get into crocheting just because it seems like there's a lot more structural freedom in making toys. The skills you pick up from knitting different projects carry over really beautifully, so you should totally pick up the book Bob suggests because there's a ton of freedom for creativity once you pick something up.

Re: Lemongrab compliments, thank you!!! I am selling them actually! I'd give you a pattern on how to make them but I'm honestly just kind of playing it by ear. That said if you want tips on making one (from one righteous adventurer to another!!), just wanna buy one, or wanna talk making plushies you can hit me up at next AT stanford DOT edu. I'm trying to make better ones for the people who actually want to buy them because I don't wanna disappoint, but these have been the first time I've ever done anything on commission that wasn't drawn so I'm totally giddy about it.

Speaking of, do you guys have any tips on pricing these kinds of things? I know we've talked about pricing big things like jumpers and stuff in this thread, but what about smaller-scale projects? I don't really know how to price objects like plushies, and minimum wage per hour seems steep as hell. I'm worrying though that I'm really devaluing labor or something when I say stuff like that.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

How easy is it to covert a crochet doll into knitting? For this pattern:

http://nerdigurumi.com/2011/01/bioshock-2-big-daddy-bouncer-dolly.html

I mean, with the hook size, according to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_standard_crochet_hook_and_knitting_needle_sizes
I'd just use size 4 DPNS knitting in the round, right?

But I've also heard that crochet rows are about twice as tall as knitted rows...

rex banner
Nov 4, 2004
Would anyone be able to recommend a good Australian-based website where you can buy yarn, needles and everything else? I knit and crochet - I don't spin yet, but I plan to learn in the next year or so. A website similar to Knitpicks.

I'm currently in Canada but I'm moving to Australia. I love Knitpicks, but they won't ship to Australia!

Any recommendations would be awesome.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
I started knitting and I've just completed my first project that I'm not completely ashamed of. This is the first one that followed a pattern. I think it turned out rather well.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I just stabbed myself in the eye and was wondering if anyone here would trade four US size 7 DPns for a size whatever circular needle. I loving hate these thing :( They're metal, perfectly straight, the gold color not even worn at the tips at all. Anyone?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Potassium!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
A friend of mine graduated from her knitwear design degree this year (you can see her work here, it's beautiful), and because she's moving house she put up an open invite for people to come round to her flat and dig through piles of yarn and fabric.

I'm broke and up to my eyeballs in yarn and half finished knitting projects. So naturally, I went along and picked up, among other things, 4 large cones of handwash only lambswool.

Naturally, I am clueless as what to do with it. It's so fine, and knits up tiny. I made a swatch today on 2mm needles.

What should I do with it? I could never knit an adult item of clothing on it, I'd go insane. I think my options at the moment are taking up knitting for dolls, or maybe learning some lacy patterns and churning out some deliciously warm shawls/Shetland scarves.

Thoughts?

madlilnerd fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 12, 2011

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

madlilnerd posted:

because she's moving house she put up an open invite for people to come round to her flat and dig through piles of yarn and fabric.
(....)
What should I do with it? I could never knit an adult item of clothing on it, I'd go insane.

Does she have any yarn left? I like free yarn.

As to what to do with your yarn there is a spinning technique called Navajo plying that can by used for knitting which involves tripling the yarn from a single source. It is basically a series of giant crochet chains. I recently made a small swatch with this technique and it works great.

Good video here.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 12, 2011

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Yeah she has loads left- most of the stuff on cones is neutral colours, browns and greys and autumnals, but she's got a few other bits and bobs (including some gorgeous fabrics) and might even have a knitting machine going. It's not up for grabs for free, but she is selling her materials at a massively discounted price. A kilogram cone of wool is usually £25 and she let me have them for £8 each.

That Navajo method is so simple and yet so clever, I think I'm going to have to try it out tonight.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Is there somewhere I can get more information about her sale?

I am torn between 'yay more yarn' and 'no, I have too much yarn'.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Well first question would be where are you? She's in London and I know she doesn't want to faff about trying to ship stuff here there and everywhere so it's pick up only.

If you're in London or close enough, email her on the address at the bottom of her webpage and tell her you're a craft acquaintance of Ru and she'll know who you mean. If you're into beading she's got a bunch of stuff too. She might charge you a smidgen more because I got mates rates (she was my cheerleading vice captain before she graduated), but it's still a good deal.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
You could make tiny little doll clothes?

I'm working on designing tiny little doll clothes. I'm hoping it'll get a fire lit under my knitting butt. :smith:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Yeah, I know you are. Not that I stalk you or anything. The BJD scene isn't exactly huge in the UK, and I can't afford a doll, so it would be hard to find someone with dolls who could model for me. I do have a Ken... maybe I could make him some snazzy sweaters. He's currently wearing an ill fitting Space Invaders sweater I made.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Yesterday a friend of mine had to go to the ER and have an emergency gallbladder removal. So this morning I knit her a gallbladder.

I considered making it a tiny coin purse but it's really too small so I just left it at that. She loved it and the nurse who was there when I visited thought it was hilarious too.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

Yeah, I know you are. Not that I stalk you or anything. The BJD scene isn't exactly huge in the UK, and I can't afford a doll, so it would be hard to find someone with dolls who could model for me. I do have a Ken... maybe I could make him some snazzy sweaters. He's currently wearing an ill fitting Space Invaders sweater I made.

Ha! My dark secret's out. :v: I just suggested it since right now I'm in the middle of gathering really thin yarn for my doll projects. I've spent most of my knitting life focusing on super bulky yarns knit on size 15 needles, so all of this is so very new to me.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

madlilnerd posted:

A friend of mine graduated from her knitwear design degree this year (you can see her work here, it's beautiful), and because she's moving house she put up an open invite for people to come round to her flat and dig through piles of yarn and fabric.

I'm broke and up to my eyeballs in yarn and half finished knitting projects. So naturally, I went along and picked up, among other things, 4 large cones of handwash only lambswool.

Naturally, I am clueless as what to do with it. It's so fine, and knits up tiny. I made a swatch today on 2mm needles.

What should I do with it? I could never knit an adult item of clothing on it, I'd go insane. I think my options at the moment are taking up knitting for dolls, or maybe learning some lacy patterns and churning out some deliciously warm shawls/Shetland scarves.

Thoughts?

1. I am super duper totally jealous, you have no idea. I live for that sort of fine weight wool.

2. Start learning mittens! Mittens and arm warmers with colourwork are super warm and last really well.

Brazilian Werewolf
Dec 6, 2006
--dies at the end.

Yesterday a friend of mine had to go to the ER and have an emergency gallbladder removal. So this morning I knit her a gallbladder.

I considered making it a tiny coin purse but it's really too small so I just left it at that. She loved it and the nurse who was there when I visited thought it was hilarious too.

This is excellent. It reminds me of the episode of Rocko's Modern Life when he didn't want to stop hanging out with his appendix. Just slap some googly eyes on it, give it a name, and your buddy will never be without.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Bob that gallbladder is adorable :3: Stick some plastic eyes on it and give it a felt amigurumi face!

FelicityGS posted:

1. I am super duper totally jealous, you have no idea. I live for that sort of fine weight wool.

2. Start learning mittens! Mittens and arm warmers with colourwork are super warm and last really well.

Oooh yeah, this is totally the time I should be rocking some fair isle. I thought about knitting a ring yesterday with snowflakes on, then remembered I like to wash my hands a fair bit and don't want a gross wet wool ring on me all day.

If I divided it up into 100 metre portions, would anyone be interested in buying some? I would price it very fairly, and while I only have five colours right now (charcoal, grey, light grey, leafy green and something I can only describe as rusty blue), if I knew I wouldn't be stuck with a room full of cones for eternity, then I would go back and get more.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

You could restart the yarn swap thread.

Your friends email bounced which I am taking as a sign that I don't need more yarn. I don't have space for more yarn anyway.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Oh, if you are interested in starting up the yarn swap thread, i will very shortly have lots to contribute!

my mother is sending me a big bag of yarn from my sister-in-law who didn't know what to do with it before she moved to england a few days ago, so I was hoping some goons would be in a swapping mood.
(As I haven't seen it yet and I'm not sure what i'll do with it/i have so much yarn...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Oh yes please start up a yarn swap thread. :ohdear: I impulsively bought so much novelty yarn on vacation and I'm already sick of making scarves with it.