Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I read that Cali just passed a state law restricting exhaust noise to 80 dB...Which is exactly what the federal law's dB level is. Completely pointless, unless you're a politician trying to pad your resume before an election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

I read that Cali just passed a state law restricting exhaust noise to 80 dB...Which is exactly what the federal law's dB level is. Completely pointless, unless you're a politician trying to pad your resume before an election.

It basically changed the enforcement. SB 435 is the law. Makes having pipes without the right sticker a fix it ticket. The version that also had the environmental poo poo got shot down.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
Those who have done a night run down the Tail of the Dragon (or any mountain riding) know how loving DARK it is up there! No lights, no bleed from a city surrounding you and your bike outruns the headlights on every curve.

There were some guys in some cool little import cars that come up there just to ride at night! They all had extra lighting, aimed at almost a 45 degree angle on each side of the car. This let them see the sharp curves even when the headlights were pointing into the trees.

Well, I decided my cool 7" headlight sucked big donkey dicks in the hills and vowed to change that.

Here is my old headlight setup for reference: ( I know, I know... STGATT, but I have a mesh/armored jacket now so skip it, eh? :) )

And the new setup

The lower lights are set up with wingnuts and lockwashers and can spin almost 90 degrees. I have one set hooked to my standard lights, the other to my highbeams for now (County inspection coming up) but for the mountains I am going to run the extras on a separate switch so I can have both sets on at once.

Berserkerduck
Sep 5, 2011

by T. Finn

KozmoNaut posted:

^^^^ We've had an 80dB noise limit (drive-by test) on bikes since 2004, I believe the limit for anything earlier than that is 82 or 85dB. I've never had mine measured, but it's probably too loud. I've never had any trouble, but I tend to keep it down whenever I'm in towns etc.. Plus, the PO who fitted the pipe is a cop ;)

Well' since we live in the same country, I can contribute a bit about this. There's no exact dB limit for older bikes. 80 dB is the limit for new imported bikes, but fitting louder exhaust systems is perfectly legal. It's not regulated the way you think it is. There's also exceptions. Some new (06-10) Kawasakis and a few Suzukis were accepted with a max noise/music pressure exceeding 95 dB. ZX10R is the worst/best new bike at about 100dB - that's almost the double of 95.

My own GT750 with a Figarolli 3-1 is ridiculously loud. About 117 dB 1 meter from the exhaust at 8000 rpm. I can't ride it without earplugs. If I park it amongst other bikes, I'm used to set off a fistful of alarms. I've almost blown a helmet of a MC cop without getting a ticket for that, and it's been inspected several times by the state without remarks. None of my pals want to ride with me, if I'm on that bike due to tinnitus, but it's apparently street legal.

Regarding your pot: You totally beat anything I've ever owned with dB per Hp. Jesus loving Christ. Your imbalanced engine characteristics at low and mid rpm is caused by this too. It's a lovely pot. Get an OEM. I totally understand that your neighbors occasionally piss on it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Berserkerduck posted:

Regarding your pot: You totally beat anything I've ever owned with dB per Hp. Jesus loving Christ. Your imbalanced engine characteristics at low and mid rpm is caused by this too. It's a lovely pot. Get an OEM. I totally understand that your neighbors occasionally piss on it.

It's not that loud :colbert:

Much easier solution to the lumpy engine is to just never let it drop to mid/low RPMs. It's smooth as butter above 8K or so.

Berserkerduck
Sep 5, 2011

by T. Finn

KozmoNaut posted:

It's not that loud :colbert:

Compared to the engine, yes. Yes it is loud. dB/Hp is ridiculously high.

KozmoNaut posted:

Much easier solution to the lumpy engine is to just never let it drop to mid/low RPMs. It's smooth as butter above 8K or so.

Take it it easy mate. Before you realize it, you're way above 50 mph. Just a few minutes lack of concentration, and it might go as high as 51 mph. Then you'll probably have to use your brakes.

I'm the guy that maintain your questionable brakes on that brutally powerful 600 Bandit.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Berserkerduck posted:

Compared to the engine, yes. Yes it is loud. dB/Hp is ridiculously high.

It's an old bike. Old bikes are loud.

quote:

Take it it easy mate. Before you realize it, you're way above 50 mph. Just a few minutes lack of concentration, and it might go as high as 51 mph. Then you'll probably have to use your brakes.

I'm the guy that maintain your questionable brakes on that brutally powerful 600 Bandit.

You kid, but it's fast enough to get me into trouble, but not quite fast enough to make them lock me up once they catch me.

Did 180kph (indicated) today, that's all I need.

Besides, your bikes probably haven't even moved at all this whole season. Some of us prefer to ride rather than talk poo poo without being able to back it up ;)

Berserkerduck
Sep 5, 2011

by T. Finn

KozmoNaut posted:

Besides, your bikes probably haven't even moved at all this whole season. Some of us prefer to ride rather than talk poo poo without being able to back it up ;)

Oh my Gods, that again. Yes, It's been an incredible bad season for me, Less than 3K miles :( Then again you've got about 20 years to catch up on.

gently caress, I think you made me cry, you insensitive piece of poo poo.

Let me have another look at those brakes ;)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

DILLIGAF posted:

Those who have done a night run down the Tail of the Dragon (or any mountain riding) know how loving DARK it is up there! No lights, no bleed from a city surrounding you and your bike outruns the headlights on every curve.

I was up there last night and the stock headlight on my SV is horribly underpowered. Even on the straight sections I had to take it very easy to not outrun my headlights. Good news was by the time I was headed home ~midnight the moon was bring enough I could see pretty good.

If I start more mountain night rides I will be getting extra lights. Looks like you have a nice setup.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Berserkerduck posted:

dB/Hp is ridiculously high.

I need to remember this method of performance measurement.

Berserkerduck
Sep 5, 2011

by T. Finn

Z3n posted:

I need to remember this method of performance measurement.

Actually it's not performance related, but I excuse you, since that's probably where that poo poo started.

Sadly I can't convince Mr. Kozmonaut to add some bitching pod filters that'll add a bunch to the sound. Misfires and carburetor tsunami due to lack of rear block support be damned, that's what he needs.

Please help me here. A KN pod is better than nothing, right? It might even prevent sucking old innocent ladies and rare birds down the venturi.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Saw this at the track last month, but remembered to actually get pictures this time.

Excelsior something-other(x-series?) board tracker reproduction as far as I can tell.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 11, 2011

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slim Pickens posted:

Saw this at the track last month, but remembered to actually get pictures this time.

Excelsior something-other(x-series?) board tracker reproduction as far as I can tell.

This thing got more and more :psyduck: the longer I looked at it

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Berserkerduck posted:

Sadly I can't convince Mr. Kozmonaut to add some bitching pod filters that'll add a bunch to the sound. Misfires and carburetor tsunami due to lack of rear block support be damned, that's what he needs.

I could remove the snorkel from the airbox and get a bit more induction noise going, but combined with the can we may be looking at a complete rejet if I do it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Slim Pickens posted:

Flashback Fabrications - Building the Engine

:aaa:

Starting the bike

:aaaaa: That noise...

Berserkerduck
Sep 5, 2011

by T. Finn

KozmoNaut posted:

I could remove the snorkel from the airbox and get a bit more induction noise going, but combined with the can we may be looking at a complete rejet if I do it.

Yeah, the last thing we want is leaning it out. .220 main jets should be enough to maintain the delicious backfires though. Hmmm, I actually think I have a block of Mikuni 45mm SUs somewhere.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That may be a bit much, considering it comes with Keihin 32CVKs stock ;)

Berserkerduck
Sep 5, 2011

by T. Finn

KozmoNaut posted:

gently caress, I'd ride that.

To do it right I'd have to compromise though. Safety gear would feel awkward on that bike.

A tailored black suit, a slim dark tie and RayBans as your only safety gear would be the way to do it. Oh yeah, Sigourney Weaver can ride my backseat wearing whatever she want, as long as she's prepared to kill it if I can't control it.

Jesus loving Christ, I can't even imagine how many hours is into that abomination. Impressive as gently caress, and I'm not even into that kind of customizing. Do you know who build this? I seem to remember seeing the Asiatic looking fellow before. Is he the genius that build it?

Only criticisms: Why Lester wheels on something like that, and why doesn't it have a front fender. Looks naked up front, and the Lester wheels (while expensive) are cheap looking on that bike. The fork looks kind of under-dimensioned to carry all that bling too.

KozmoNaut posted:

That may be a bit much, considering it comes with Keihin 32CVKs stock

Don't be a pussy. If we remove the filter there's hardly enough venturi to maintain the current state of backfires no matter how rich we jet it.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Is that things "hair" made out of old chains? It looks like it. And if that isn't an argument for a full face helmet, I don't know what is.

Or, you know, a sweet set of shades. :thumbsup:

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

That may be a bit much, considering it comes with Keihin 32CVKs stock ;)

Automatic decapitation in the event of a crash. Pass.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Berserkerduck posted:

Do you know who build this? I seem to remember seeing the Asiatic looking fellow before. Is he the genius that build it?

The artisté is Roongrojna Sangwongprisarn. Apparently, he owns Ko Art Shop in Bangkok and this is one of their projects. The bike is made completely from old car and bike spare parts.

They have customers all over the world, but I can't seem to find a website :(

quote:

Don't be a pussy. If we remove the filter there's hardly enough venturi to maintain the current state of backfires no matter how rich we jet it.

It runs perfectly fine and you know it.

(Well, apart from a rough idle and rough engine braking below 4K, but I can live with that)

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Here's the build log for that race version. drat impressive.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

It appears that Excelsior had a two stroke version that exhausted straight out of the bottom of the cylinder like a Cox airplane motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRTGbIX3pSY&feature=related

Looks amazing in low light :monocle:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ReelBigLizard posted:

Starting the bike

:aaaaa: That noise...

That's the noise of 120mph in 1920.

That'll put hair on yer chest, laddie!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Personally I think the build of the Excelsior is more impressive.

The guy designed and built a running engine based on 5 pictures.

All of only one side of the bike.

gently caress.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Scenes from Battle of the Brits, Orchard Lake MI, 9/11/11. Amazing turnout from the torch and spanner crowd.

Wait, who invited ze Germans? Beemer pr0n for the Reverend Mo.

Und ze Austrians?

Und ze Americans?

There,that's got it. Now we're sorted out and in reasonably good nick.

Matchless recently restored by Rick Dale on an episode of American Restoration.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Marv Hushman posted:

There,that's got it. Now we're sorted out and in reasonably good nick.

I was really hoping some joker had pulled their W650 up into this line-up.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
This looks pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8sl0mclf4E

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dude from a local forum has a couple of minutes of video of this douchebag blocking him from overtaking on a wide open road with barely any traffic and plenty of places without double lines.

How the gently caress do people justify this behavior to themselves?

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXlg8cm00GY

Wanna ride dat bike. Like an 80mph sculpture.

Jaz fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 12, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Turbo Gl1000.

:razz:

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
http://www.wix.com/yvettekendall/hatarihelmets! WTF is motion graphics.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

Dude from a local forum has a couple of minutes of video of this douchebag blocking him from overtaking on a wide open road with barely any traffic and plenty of places without double lines.

Got a link to the video?

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

HNasty posted:

http://www.wix.com/yvettekendall/hatarihelmets! WTF is motion graphics.

A fancy way of saying graphics that move?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Coredump posted:

Got a link to the video?

He doesn't want to post it because he was exceeding the speed limit by a fair amount, apparently and he doesn't want any vigilante justice happening (the license plate of the van is clearly visible in the video).

We're trying to convince him to release it anyway, maybe send it to a local tv station.

XvoUd4
Aug 13, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/BPdGR.png[/timg

Blocking like that is pretty annoying, but I'm much more bothered by persistent tailgaters. Possibly because my bike is my daily transport and I spend a lot of time in traffic.

Last week I was on an exit lane, with some cars ahead of me going ten k's (~six miles?) or so under the limit. The driver behind me decided that the way to get places faster was to get up real close behind me. I tried slowing down a little then accelerating away a couple of times (often works), but she didn't get the hint. She took the exit before mine and yelled "loving oval office" on her way past :v:.

If I'd had a video camera or something I'd probably have taken the footage to a cop shop and seen if they felt like fining someone. In fact, its enough to temp me to get a little one 'specially...

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

XvoUd4 posted:

The driver behind me decided that the way to get places faster was to get up real close behind me. I tried slowing down a little then accelerating away a couple of times (often works), but she didn't get the hint. She took the exit before mine and yelled "loving oval office" on her way past :v:.

I want to do this, but I'm afraid that the cager will just crash into me and blame me. :(

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A camera is never a bad idea, but more for showing your friends idiots on the road, and having your back on accidents.

Cops will give no gently caress.

I usually deal with tailgaters by turning around and glaring at them, sometimes giving a "what the gently caress?" hand gesture. Seems to work without much tomfoolery.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
I'll stand up on my bike, shake my rear end, slap it with my left hand, and then make a "back the gently caress up" gesture with my hand. Don't think it's failed me yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XvoUd4
Aug 13, 2011

Odette posted:

I want to do this, but I'm afraid that the cager will just crash into me and blame me. :(
Well, first step is to touch the brake to get the light on, and see if that's enough. Then you take take care and slow down slowly. A quick wrist twist should be enough to get you away unless the car's fast and the driver's really nasty. Where I live there's a law that means anyone who hit's someone else's rear is automatically at fault (because they obviously left insufficient braking room), which has its upsides.

The irony is that people being too close soaks up extra attention, which often get taken from lower importance things like my throttle hand and speedo... causing me to unintentionally lose speed.

nsaP posted:

A camera is never a bad idea, but more for showing your friends idiots on the road, and having your back on accidents.

Cops will give no gently caress.
The cops/government here like handing out fines (mostly for speeding, since that's the most effective way to make our roads safer), and if I dropped an inarguable video in their lap all they'd have to do is fill out the paperwork, send off a letter, and maybe turn up at the drivers door to charge them with something. So, combined with my apparent good luck in getting people to like me (in person, anyway), I reckon I'd have a decent chance of it. Plus, it'd take bugger all effort on my part.

EDIT: There's also the angle of cops not liking it when they have to turn up to scenes where motorcyclists have been hosed up messily on the road. May be able to play that for slightly more leverage. Still all moot, 'cause there is no video (this time :ninja:). *shrug*

To get back to the thread topic, has anyone posted pics of steam powered bikes?

XvoUd4 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 13, 2011