Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaz GELF
Mar 22, 2009

Mostly Harmless
Thanks for all the suggestions, that gives me a lot of options to work with! I'm going to reinstall Civ V as soon as I can and give it a proper try. I've also seen the Civ IV remake of Colonization on the Steam store, so I'll definitely pick that up sometime.
EDIT: Oh, I already own Colonization on Steam and I didn't even realise it! I'm not quite sure how that happened, though judging by the fact that Civ V, Beyond The Sword and Warlords are doubled up for some reason (I should ask Valve if they can fix that), I must have bought or been gifted a "Complete Pack" when there was a deal going on. Or something. Anyways I'll download this soon and give it a try!

Panzer General actually looks really interesting. I just downloaded PG Forever, I'll give that a go and let you know what I think.

Might and Magic is again one of those games that I have but haven't really had time to play, so I'll be sure to give that a better shot as well!

Chaz GELF fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

FuriousGeorge posted:

If you have a gaming-quality PC I'd recommend The Witcher 2. It's an action RPG similar in length and scope to Deus Ex, and it's somewhat notorious for it's lack of tutorializing. It has absolutely fantastic character, atmosphere, and is possibly the current graphical high-water mark in gaming. Also, it's story is mature both in content and in that it treats you like an adult and expects you to pay attention.

Still my current RPG of the Year, even over Deus Ex.

I actually have played and beaten both of The Witcher titles and enjoyed them immensely, they definitely are the sorts of games I'm looking for.
Unfortunately the laptop I do have has bricked and so I'm limited to anything I can play on my PS3.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

JebanyPedal posted:

I actually have played and beaten both of The Witcher titles and enjoyed them immensely, they definitely are the sorts of games I'm looking for.
Unfortunately the laptop I do have has bricked and so I'm limited to anything I can play on my PS3.

Space Marine looks pretty great, but it's not out until Monday.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Chaz GELF posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions, that gives me a lot of options to work with! I'm going to reinstall Civ V as soon as I can and give it a proper try. I've also seen the Civ IV remake of Colonization on the Steam store, so I'll definitely pick that up sometime.
EDIT: Oh, I already own Colonization on Steam and I didn't even realise it! I'm not quite sure how that happened, though judging by the fact that Civ V, Beyond The Sword and Warlords are doubled up for some reason (I should ask Valve if they can fix that), I must have bought or been gifted a "Complete Pack" when there was a deal going on. Or something. Anyways I'll download this soon and give it a try!

Panzer General actually looks really interesting. I just downloaded PG Forever, I'll give that a go and let you know what I think.

Might and Magic is again one of those games that I have but haven't really had time to play, so I'll be sure to give that a better shot as well!

Atom Zombie Smasher also has this kind of thing.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Chinook posted:

Space Marine looks pretty great, but it's not out until Monday.

I'll check out the demo on PSN, I don't really mind waiting a few days for any potentially stellar releases.

Cyborgmatt
Aug 9, 2009

Honk.
Hi guys, I'm looking for a good multiplayer Tetris game for PC, I don't mind if it's a browser game as long as it's good.

Anything similar to the Tetris DS game would be great.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Hey, I found No One Lives Forever 2 for PC used recently, and have been meaning to pick up the first game. How is the Playstation 2 port of the first NOLF? As long as the level designs are the same and it isn't glaringly different in the enemies/AI/weapons department, that's all I need.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, assuming I can get it to work on a friend's computer (not this one, it's a Mac) would you guys recommend "Iji?"

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Speedball posted:

So, assuming I can get it to work on a friend's computer (not this one, it's a Mac) would you guys recommend "Iji?"

I recommend it so much. It's so replayable and fun. Not sure about running it on a Mac, but I know there's some magic that Mac users can do to play Windows games, right?

It's a great game.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Also don't look into spoilers about Iji. There's a story, it's important.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
What would be the best 4X(ish) and easiest to get into space conquering games? The ones I'm already aware of are Master of Orion 2 and Imperium Galactica but I've only briefly tried the former. I'd want something that you could learn rather quickly without memorizing a gazillion of tech trees and whatnot but it should still have some lasting appeal. I've never really played any 4X game even though they've always intrigued me.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

These Loving Eyes posted:

What would be the best 4X(ish) and easiest to get into space conquering games? The ones I'm already aware of are Master of Orion 2 and Imperium Galactica but I've only briefly tried the former. I'd want something that you could learn rather quickly without memorizing a gazillion of tech trees and whatnot but it should still have some lasting appeal. I've never really played any 4X game even though they've always intrigued me.

Sword of the Stars, maybe?

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Sam. posted:

Sword of the Stars, maybe?

Sounds great although I'm not really a fan of RTS combat (I'm terrible at real-time micro-management). I think I'll still give this a shot.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Galactic Civilizations 2 is a very good modern spiritual successor to Master of Orion.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

These Loving Eyes posted:

Ascendancy is very basic for a 4X game, but also pretty easy to get into as a result. Likely requires DOSBox though, if you can find it at all.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

FuriousGeorge posted:

Galactic Civilizations 2 is a very good modern spiritual successor to Master of Orion.

I think this is honestly your best bet. Galactic Civilizations II is pretty fantastic and incredibly accessible. It's also as clasically 4X as 4X gets, as FuriousGeorge said, spiritual successor to MoO. I recommend it as well.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Yeah lots of people ask and it just makes me yearn for GalCiv III each time. So burnt out on that game!

Isn't X3 kind of a 4X? A space flight sim, a trading sim, and a 4X. Sorta kinda. Similar is Space Rangers 2.

There's also Sins of a Solar Empire, but it kind of falls between two stalls, of not-really-4X and RTS. It's classy and atmospheric, but I find it a bit irritating because it's too frenetic unless you slow all resource gathering, the tech tree pales in comparison to GalCiv, and the diplomacy (even with Trinity) is kind if broken.

Other worthy mentions are Aurora (if you can tolerate the spreadsheets and horrendous turn times - seriously - it has bags of depth), Lost Empire Immortals (with fan patches), Star Ruler (4X meets Risk), Space Empires IV or V (both very old and creaky but they still do some things GalCiv 2 doesn't) and some people swear by Starshatter but they also live in small padded rooms.

T1nman33
Jul 21, 2005
not so much the guy
Kind of an odd request here: I'm a consultant and a road warrior, which means that I spend at least a few nights a week away from the wife and the cat with nothing but a hotel bar and a company laptop to keep me from boredom. And, when I am at home, I'm usually either sitting on my balcony in the fresh air surfing the web, or sitting next to aforementioned wife and cat on the couch with aforementioned company laptop.

What I'm looking for is:

* a game that will run on a "work-type" laptop that is not tuned for gaming
* a game that you can play with a trackpad or eraser-point mouse

FPSes are probably out, as are "action RPGs" that require mouseaim. I have been playing a ton of Realm of the Mad God lately; I will admit that I do sort of use the mouse on the arm of the couch to play.

In terms of specific genre, I have to admit that I really like RotMG except I'm a little bored with the grindfest. If there were a sort of similar lo-fi RPG-type game with a good story, I think that might be cool. A browser-based game would be even better since I know it'll basically run on this compy. In a perfect world, you'd have a browser-based game with the same art style as RotMG, the writing quality of Planescape: Torment, and a control scheme that you could run with just a keyboard.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

People posted:

Galactic Civilizations 2

Guess I'll try this first then, thanks! One thing that bugs me though with all these space strategy games is how dull the alien design most often is: there's always some barbarian gorilla people, squidly technologically advanced people, emotionless robopeople etc. :argh:

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

T1nman33 posted:

Kind of an odd request here

Have you considered roguelikes? Turn based, lo-fi, and you won't run out of stuff to deal with for a long time.
There's a megathread around here somewhere. Maybe take a look at Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup?

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
Out of all the cheep-rear end sports games out there, which ones are best ones?
Edit: The ones you see everywhere for under $10.

Mr.Flibble fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 6, 2011

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

T1nman33 posted:

Kind of an odd request here: I'm a consultant and a road warrior, which means that I spend at least a few nights a week away from the wife and the cat with nothing but a hotel bar and a company laptop to keep me from boredom. And, when I am at home, I'm usually either sitting on my balcony in the fresh air surfing the web, or sitting next to aforementioned wife and cat on the couch with aforementioned company laptop.

What I'm looking for is:

* a game that will run on a "work-type" laptop that is not tuned for gaming
* a game that you can play with a trackpad or eraser-point mouse

FPSes are probably out, as are "action RPGs" that require mouseaim. I have been playing a ton of Realm of the Mad God lately; I will admit that I do sort of use the mouse on the arm of the couch to play.

In terms of specific genre, I have to admit that I really like RotMG except I'm a little bored with the grindfest. If there were a sort of similar lo-fi RPG-type game with a good story, I think that might be cool. A browser-based game would be even better since I know it'll basically run on this compy. In a perfect world, you'd have a browser-based game with the same art style as RotMG, the writing quality of Planescape: Torment, and a control scheme that you could run with just a keyboard.

Are you familiar with Good Old Games? They've got plenty of titles (RPGs and otherwise) with low system requirements for cheap.
http://www.gog.com/en/about
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3091455

T1nman33
Jul 21, 2005
not so much the guy
You know, I had gotten into a roguelike phase with Moria some years back. That's a great suggestion that I may have to look into.

GOG is another great idea. I didn't realize that you could get games like Ultima: Underworld that would run on modern hardware.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
I'm looking for a game I can play on downtime at work with 5-10 coworkers. It has to be browser-based and flash-based (no java), as well as easy as non-intrusive (turn-based is the best). Some of us do minecraft, but we'd like to play with those who don't own it or have any interest in it. Something simple like Scorched Earth would be great; in an ideal world, a browser version of Wagon Train would exist and that would be perfect.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!
I'm looking for an RPG with a good deal of customization, be it Morrowind-Style where you can pick whatever skill combos you want, or FFT/Disgaea-style where I can recruit followers and make them however I like. I've played a good deal of games like this already, I'm just looking for new ones.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

UberChair posted:

I'm looking for an RPG with a good deal of customization, be it Morrowind-Style where you can pick whatever skill combos you want, or FFT/Disgaea-style where I can recruit followers and make them however I like. I've played a good deal of games like this already, I'm just looking for new ones.

Games that use the D&D 3.0/3.5 ruleset are great for spergy character building given all the multiclassing, prestige classes, feats etc. Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, Temple of Elemental Evil and Icewind Dale 2 are the only ones I can think of though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I've helped quite a few floks in this thread and now it's time for me to ask for a recommendation myself.

I recently got a used Wii from a friend for free and I want to play a good solid title on it. The problem is that I don't want to drop too much cash on Wii games, so I want to buy one big title or maybe two older ones which are cheaper.

So what is the absolute best of the best? I know this is exactly a retardedly broad question but I have no idea about Nintendo. I'm looking for something like - if you want TPP action get X, if you want RPG get Y. Or simply - write what was the absolute best game you played on Wii and why.

From what I take from some of the 'best of' lists is - Mario Galaxy 2 trumps everything? Kirby's Epic Yarn is praised but I don't want a game like that - I need a bit more challange. How does Epic Mickey compare to those? Zelda: Twilight Princess is good but is it the best Wii game you ever played or maybe Metroid Prime Trilogy is a better idea? (I never played those new FPS Metroids AT ALL and I read that this would be an amazing set to get) I also read that Xenoblade is the best game of the entire generation but is it true? (I get bored by JRPGs pretty fast, I was never able to finish any FF title, how is it different?)

At the same time some old titles like World of Goo make it to those lists which was a charming game but come on it was some indie PC title which I finished not even remembering it. Also Okami? I played it on PS2 how does it even...what the hell? If I got any of those I would be really disappointed. Things like this make me not trust those lists at all.

So please goons, give me some recommendations, throw some ideas at me.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Kororinpa: Marble Mania is probably the best tactile experience I ever got from the Wii to be honest. It's quite short, but really fun and challenging, and uses the technology to its full potential—it's my favorite "Wii game" rather than my favorite game on Wii. So if you're looking for something good that couldn't be done on another system to justify having a Wii (nowadays there's the Move, but you get my point), by all means get this.

There's a sequel, Marble Saga: Kororinpa, that I don't recommend playing until you've played the first as they hosed up the sensitivity and unless you use the customizable marble (obtainable via a code), it controls like rear end.

If you've never played a WarioWare game, WarioWare: Smooth Moves is one of the best, and you should be able to pick it up for really cheap. The concept of the series definitely isn't one that'll appeal to everyone (I think it's brilliant), so check out the videos first.

You won't be disappointed in Metroid Prime Trilogy in all likelihood. I've yet to play it myself, but when I started playing the Wii I got the impression that it was the best possible setup for first-person shooters. The Metroid Prime games are gorgeous, atmospheric, and generally well-designed, and unfortunately I don't know of any other great FPSes to have come out on Wii. Opinions are pretty divided on the Conduit games, and I never bothered to try them as they look generic as gently caress.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 12, 2011

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Palpek,

I imagine if I had not already played Metroid Prime or Metroid Prime 2 on the Gamecube, then the Trilogy would be the best game I ever bought for the Wii by a long shot. Although Prime 3 is the least favorite of the 3 for me, it's still a good game, and the first two are amazing. It's definitely an awesome value. Note: I haven't played Mario Galaxy 2.

If you appreciate great atmosphere in a game and like the Metroid formula (exploration, gathering new items to access areas you couldn't before) it's almost a guaranteed win.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Orzo posted:

If you appreciate great atmosphere in a game and like the Metroid formula (exploration, gathering new items to access areas you couldn't before) it's almost a guaranteed win.

Just chiming in to say that I didn't really enjoy the 2D Metroids (or Castlevania for that matter) but the Metroid Prime games are awesome. The fact that its 3 games in one is just great.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Orzo posted:

I imagine if I had not already played Metroid Prime or Metroid Prime 2 on the Gamecube, then the Trilogy would be the best game I ever bought for the Wii by a long shot.

I had played MP1&2 beforehand. The trilogy is the best game I ever bought for the Wii.

Also, Resident Evil 4 is fantastic as well.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ok thanks for the recommendation I guess I'll try the Metroids. Kororinpa seems too indy for me and I have my PC for that. If I find WarioWare for cheap I'll definately check it out though - it looks interesting. If anybody has any more suggestions I'd greatly appreciate them too. I'd especially like to hear why Xenoblade is so good?

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
After finishing Deus Ex: HR, I've been wanting to play more shooters, either first or third person, preferably for the PC as my sister has my 360 right now (bonus if its on steam). I haven't played too many over the years, so I'm open to older games as well. I really enjoyed both Fallout 3 and NV, along with Mass Effect 1&2 and HR, but didn't really get into Borderlands. I also enjoyed the Halo series and Bad Company 2, though I'm more interested in singleplayer right now so I'm shying away from the other BF games until 3 is out. RPG and story elements are cool, as is the more traditional experience. I think the only other recent FPS I've played was Bulletstorm and it didn't really appeal to me.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Everyman posted:

After finishing Deus Ex: HR, I've been wanting to play more shooters, either first or third person, preferably for the PC as my sister has my 360 right now (bonus if its on steam). I haven't played too many over the years, so I'm open to older games as well. I really enjoyed both Fallout 3 and NV, along with Mass Effect 1&2 and HR, but didn't really get into Borderlands. I also enjoyed the Halo series and Bad Company 2, though I'm more interested in singleplayer right now so I'm shying away from the other BF games until 3 is out. RPG and story elements are cool, as is the more traditional experience. I think the only other recent FPS I've played was Bulletstorm and it didn't really appeal to me.

Have you considered the first Deus Ex?

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

Palleon posted:

Have you considered the first Deus Ex?

Should have mentioned that's what got me to pick up HR to begin with. Invisible War left me a little wary, but I was pleasantly surprised.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Wolfenstein (2009) and Singularity are fun FPSes. I'd assume you've played Bioshock?

edit: Metro 2033

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

pigdog posted:

Wolfenstein (2009) and Singularity are fun FPSes. I'd assume you've played Bioshock?

edit: Metro 2033

Actually I've never played Bioshock. I tend to play mostly RPGs and MMOs and then pick up a couple new FPSes every couple years, so a lot of good games tend to fly completely under my radar. Looks like a great game, definitely going to pick it up. Thanks for the recommendation!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like getting a jrpg, might not play it straight away though. If I could get one of these which one would it be? Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesparia, Lost Odyssey, The Last Remnant.

I've already played Last Remnant on xbox 360 but I heard good things about the pc version, I was about to get it on the steam sale but my card wasn't working for some reason. The other three I haven't played but heard very positive things about them.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Valkyria Chronicles isn't really a standard RPG, but it's one of my favorite games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Palpek, I was going to list all my favorite wii games and why, but then I realized that they're all in the OP of the Wii Thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3378070&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

If you give me a little bit more on what you'd like: genre, price range, game length, is neat motion controls a factor for you? things like that. I'll gladly make some recommendations.