Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Thufir posted:

Our last game of summer season our goalie went to the bar beforehand and seemed pretty loaded but played absolutely lights out...until he let in like 5 weak goals in the 2nd half of the 3rd.

That's when he started to sober up, though.

e. what a way to start a page

e2. I can't play decently with more than a couple of beers in me, it's not so much as I lose my ability to skate, as I lose hockey sense. Basically muscle memory is fine for pretty much everything, but once I'm too drunk, I just can't get to the right places on the ice anymore

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

elemenohpee posted:

I'm not a huge fan of playing with any alcohol in the system but some teammates and myself play pretty blazed nearly every time. So much fun.

Any other stoner hockey goons out there?

probably just me and :okpos:

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

poser posted:

Meanwhile in roller...

:negative:

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Robo-Pope posted:

Meanwhile in roller...

most. expensive. skate. EVER.

I seriously don't understand how that could cost so much.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

lazerwolf posted:

most. expensive. skate. EVER.

I seriously don't understand how that could cost so much.
But they made it out of GLASS!
(also, we roller players pay an extra $60 for the fuckin' wheels, even though we already HAVE wheels)

(also note that like gently caress I'm getting skates that expensive)

Robo-Pope fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 10, 2011

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I know I told you guys I'm joining my school's rec league.

But I also signed up for my school's ball hockey league.

yeeeeeeeeee boi

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Lawnie posted:

probably just me and :okpos:

Checking in.

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008

elemenohpee posted:

I'm not a huge fan of playing with any alcohol in the system but some teammates and myself play pretty blazed nearly every time. So much fun.

Any other stoner hockey goons out there?
Me, I would avoid smoking up before a game until I caved one day and then scored all 4 goals for our team to force a shutout, where we won 5-4 and sealed a spot on the playoffs. :2bong:

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

Waiting for World of Starcraft
So, I am a size 12 wide in shoes and had a hell of a time finding skates that fit. I ended up with the Bauer Vapor RX25's in a 10.5 that the guy at the shop banged the heck out of to widen them near the toe. Does anyone make an inline skate that comes in wide widths that isn't $600?

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Yeah I'm in the exact same boat for shoe size / width. I found even with a pair of banged out 10.5 D's they still pinch the poo poo out of my feet. You can get lots of ice skates in E and EE width don't let the salesman cram you into something just because it's all he has in stock.

Mission's Axiom line seems to come in EE right from the A3's up to the T10. Other then that your hosed until you hit $600 Bauers.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

dyn posted:

This is why bars at rinks are brilliant. Get to the rink early and get your drink on before game time. Buzzed hockey is very, very fun.
Buzzed hockey is very, very nauseating. I have a weak stomach.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Robo-Pope posted:

Meanwhile in roller...

skates like these are the prime reason I still wear my tour g90s from X years ago.

also, i do enjoy playing hockey hung over from the night before. it makes for such an interesting post-game.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We had an awesome "playoff" today. Best of 3, we lost the first 6-4 with an ENG. The second we tied 5-5, did OT, went to shootout. Our goalie stopped all 5 shooters which totally owned. More precisely, he stopped 4 shooters, and one guy tripped and fell on his face while he was skating in. I've never actually seen that happen before, ever, at any level I've been playing at. The guy who fell was their best player, he's a great skater, usually. Both benches absolutely lost it when it happened.

Also a guy who had a brief career as a goon in some low level minor league took a run at one of our little guys, hit him really hard and got thrown out. He's a giant turd whose current employment is as an $8 an hour rink rat. He was on the clock during our game. I feel like I should tell the rink owner that he's going to wind up getting sued because of this guy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

9/11 Never Forget

:cry:

e: I hope that's not obscenely huge. I did it from my phone...

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

9/11 Never Forget

How long have you had it for?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

9/11 Never Forget

It broke itself so it didnt have to wear that tape job anymore

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

8 months I think.

It snapped in half after doing a weak backhand pass. Pretty sure I looked like a sad puppy dog skating off the ice :(

D C posted:

It broke itself so it didnt have to wear that tape job anymore

But it matches my gloves :thuper:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 12, 2011

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

But it matches my gloves :thuper:

Are you alternating between black and yellow tape on your blade or is there actually a bumblebee color stick tape you can buy?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

9/11 Never Forget

Used to be a Total One, now its an Incomplete Two.

How did you manage that kind of a break on a backhand? Wouldn't it be broken from the other side?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Doctor Butts posted:

How did you manage that kind of a break on a backhand? Wouldn't it be broken from the other side?

It was more than likely probably already broken or fractured before hand.

On a separate note, we have our summer inline semi final game which if we win, we will have our championship game an hour after that.

:shepface::ohdear:

Should be fun regardless. We had a great (still) undefeated season.

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION
Has everyone been having minute silences before their games? My league did and I'm in Australia so I imagine every hockey league in the world must have done it.

On a happier note my team handed the top team their 3rd and final loss in a 20 game season (and the second loss to us.) They could only respond by accusing half our team of being ringers.

And I just got some RbK 9Ks in time for the playoffs!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How does your team let you get away with that tape job

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT
That tape job owns

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It amuses me that if you google around for patterened hockey tape, only one company is making the stuff and everyone is selling the exact same options.. mostly camouflage themed.

I have a feeling if someone actually showed up with a camo stick blade, they'd get laughed off the ice.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I put camo tape on my hockey stick.

But I also play ball hockey so...

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
White tape with black tint from me running the puck across the tape. Anything else is stupid. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vital Signs posted:

White tape with black tint from me running the puck across the tape. Anything else is stupid. :colbert:

:hfive:

My reasoning is all about laziness though.. it means I only have to buy one roll of tape.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I wonder if I would get grief for trolling pickup with a pink tape job tonight.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Vital Signs posted:

This. Black tape is also acceptable but I've never liked it up on the handle. Eats up the palms too much

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
BUT THE GOALIE CANT SEE THE PUCK IF YOU USE BLACK TAPE!

Yes, thank you for that random guy on x team I've played on. Seriously though, I love the grip of white tape both on the blade and the handle. I used black tape when I was younger, but saw a kid on my team using white and switched. I'll never go back. Although doing things like pink tape is fun just to get a rise out of people. I played a full season with a pink stick. Won that bet.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Vital Signs posted:

BUT THE GOALIE CANT SEE THE PUCK IF YOU USE BLACK TAPE!

Yes, thank you for that random guy on x team I've played on. Seriously though, I love the grip of white tape both on the blade and the handle. I used black tape when I was younger, but saw a kid on my team using white and switched. I'll never go back. Although doing things like pink tape is fun just to get a rise out of people. I played a full season with a pink stick. Won that bet.

I played with a guy one time who has white tape and sharpied in "This was in your mother"

It made me chuckle.

Waroen
Jun 23, 2006
Fuck Jesus and Fuck Shoes!!
I didn't have enough white tape left to finish my stick so I did zebra stripes on the blade and I've scored 2 goals each game since then. :smugdog:

A teammate even commented on how they should try that after I got on a hot steak. Currently rocking orange/black to match my gloves. Gets people riled up and I don't even notice a difference while playing myself.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

Fingers McGee posted:

Everyone will just assume you played in a breast cancer benefit.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Fingers McGee posted:

I had a pink taped goalie stick and wore a pink bandana under my mask for awhile.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
White tape because I only need to buy one color and I think it looks better on the blade anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tape chat: Bud and I were talking at lunch recently about the effect of taping from toe-to-heel or heel-to-toe.

Does anyone think it matters? There's guys out there that are convinced the direction of the winding effects puck stability when shooting: if you tape from heel-to-toe it gets more spin and flies better, and toe-to-heel it's a little more unpredictable. Theory being, the puck hitting the edges of the tape effects how it travels. There's also chatter about the overlap between winds of tape effecting shots, and how taping toe-to-heel supposedly wears the tape out more quickly.

While I'm sure the effect is non-zero, we both had doubts that it was a significant enough of a difference to change the outcome of a shot. Since we're computer nerds we talked about how one would go about modeling it on a computer. Neither of us are materials experts so it never got farther than that, but I've been curious about it ever since.

I figured it fit in well enough with "what color tape do you like" that I'd bring it up here.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

xzzy posted:

Tape chat: Bud and I were talking at lunch recently about the effect of taping from toe-to-heel or heel-to-toe.

Does anyone think it matters? There's guys out there that are convinced the direction of the winding effects puck stability when shooting: if you tape from heel-to-toe it gets more spin and flies better, and toe-to-heel it's a little more unpredictable. Theory being, the puck hitting the edges of the tape effects how it travels. There's also chatter about the overlap between winds of tape effecting shots, and how taping toe-to-heel supposedly wears the tape out more quickly.

While I'm sure the effect is non-zero, we both had doubts that it was a significant enough of a difference to change the outcome of a shot. Since we're computer nerds we talked about how one would go about modeling it on a computer. Neither of us are materials experts so it never got farther than that, but I've been curious about it ever since.

I figured it fit in well enough with "what color tape do you like" that I'd bring it up here.

I tape heel to toe because I find it easier. I don't know if it makes a big difference on the physics of the puck spin but I like the free edges of the tape pointing outward from heel -> toe. I've had problems with the tape tearing or sticking to the blade having the free edges of the tape going inward toe -> heel

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

I'm absolutely positive that my shot is bad enough that the tape makes no difference at all.

That said, I start at the heel, tape up to the toe, and then go back to the heel for a double layer of tape.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

dyn posted:

Are you alternating between black and yellow tape on your blade or is there actually a bumblebee color stick tape you can buy?

I lay down a complete layer of yellow first, then I use my black roll and space it out a bit.

Doctor Butts posted:

Yeah I was stumped too, but I'm guessing it was cracked from something else. Funny thing was that on my next shift, I used my backup cheap-o stiff-as-gently caress X:20 and scored 2 goals in 60 seconds. One was a top-shelf backhander with a pitching-wedge Backstrom blade. I've never lifted a backhand with that blade. Ever. Go figure.

sellouts posted:

How does your team let you get away with that tape job

Who else is gonna score their goals? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ok, was just looking around Hockey Monkey for a new stick and saw these up for pre-order:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-stealth-rs-sticks.html

Totally matches my bumblebee tape job and gloves!