Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Mr Crustacean posted:

Could the 'stabbing one dear to him' part of the azor ahai prophecy refer to Jon giving up on rescuing Arya?

The key thing is that somebody's soul needs to go into lightbringer.

quote:

Darkness lay over the world and a hero, Azor Ahai, was chosen to fight against it. To fight the darkness, Azor Ahai needed to forge a hero's sword. He labored for thirty days and thirty nights until it was done. However, when he went to temper it in water, the sword broke. He was not one to give up easily, so he started over. The second time he took fifty days and fifty nights to make the sword, even better than the first. To temper it this time, he captured a lion and drove the sword into its heart, but once more the steel shattered. The third time, with a heavy heart, for he knew beforehand what he must do to finish the blade, he worked for a hundred days and nights until it was finished. This time, he called for his wife, Nissa Nissa, and asked her to bare her breast. He drove his sword into her breast, her soul combining with the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer.

I think Drogo's soul is literally in Drogon. I wouldn't rule out multiple Azor Ahais, and I'm sure Jon's dream means something. However, it could just be that somebody takes longclaw off Jon's corpse and later Jon takes Stannis's sword after he dies, that would be a hilarious red herring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Quantify! posted:

What is this theory? Because it sounds funny.

Something about Edd never speaking directly to another character and getting a response back, like Bruce Willis, but then it was pointed out Sam talks to him.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Also, when he sent Edd to run the all girls dorm, someone probably would have mentioned to Jon that he was loving crazy.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
If anyone wasn't getting that it was a joke (or god forbid the person who came up with the idea wasn't joking) they need to be on medication because they are crazy.

I like dumb and funny theories but I think some people take these wacky theories seriously and I worry about them.

skindepth
Jun 22, 2010

I'm coming down decidedly on the Jon isn't dead side of things, and I don't see much mention of Stannis either so I'm guessing no one fell for that fake out.

The Azor Ahai thing seems suspect to me. I know Stannis isn't the guy. I'm not even sure if he has the sword. I'd really like to know more about that, and about Melisandre in general. I almost thought she was evil, but then I realized moral absolutism doesnt belong in a judgement of this series, and that I was only making that judgment based off her unfamiliarity and her propensity for burning characters and idols I was familiar with.

I've also always been a big Dani supporter, but now I'm not so sure. Her actions in the last two books have been fairly boring. Especially with this one. I don't care what happens to her practice kingdom, I want to see her start playing the game of thrones for real, but I know she can't because those ironmen assholes and probably Tyrion and his crew are all eager to hang out with her in her little backwater. Great. Maybe Tyrion can get her to do something, and ensure that House Lannister makes it through this as well, I'm a big Lannister supporter.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The REAL twist: Stannis is Azor Ahai.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop
Really my hope is that either nobody is Azor Ahai, or it remains fairly ambiguous. Same goes for all the other prophecies in the books. I hope every single one ends up being bullshit. Have any been conclusively shown to come true?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My money's on total ambiguity for all prophecies which could be, to be honest. I think it's been set up that way. I mean, we already have multiple candidates for quite a few of them, and it's not like the prophecy writer's going come forward to clarify 'oh, it's Dany'.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

skindepth posted:

I'd really like to know more about that, and about Melisandre in general. I almost thought she was evil, but then I realized moral absolutism doesnt belong in a judgement of this series, and that I was only making that judgment based off her unfamiliarity and her propensity for burning characters and idols I was familiar with.

This is freaking hilarious. At first you thought Melisandre was evil, but now that you've gotten to know her you realize you were just biased against her cuz she regularly burned people to death. Yes, surely your eyes have been opened to the evils of moral absolutism.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

Really my hope is that either nobody is Azor Ahai, or it remains fairly ambiguous. Same goes for all the other prophecies in the books. I hope every single one ends up being bullshit. Have any been conclusively shown to come true?

I thought we conclusively decided that Hodor is Azor Ahai?

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
You fools, Ser Pounce is Azor Ahai. Arya fathered him while warged into the black tom, it's so obvious.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski
So what the gently caress is up with them Maesters? Nobody talks about them but they seem to have this whole 'behind the scenes' Illuminati poo poo going. That guy at the end of feast talks about Aemon getting assassinated hypothetically, and the rumor is that the dragons were like, slowly assraped by maesters through the ages, etc.

And a bunch of stuff like that. So who expects Maester Luwin to reappear and be like an evil zombie, and he'll like, have a swordfight with Sam or something. I dunno. Those Maesters are going to be major players though. Anyway.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I think the implication is that the maesters convinced the Targaryens to keep the dragons penned up, which over time made them weaker and smaller. Eventually they were so weak that they couldn't hatch anymore, or else they were poisoning the eggs.

Either way it's hard to imagine that the maesters set out on some grand dragonslaying crusade, it's going to be much more subtle scheme of "kill the dragons".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

"Blood and Fire", if that counts.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Some of Bran's dreams came true, I think. E.g., there's one about a huge giant of a knight with no head inside his helmet.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

Brannock posted:

I think the implication is that the maesters convinced the Targaryens to keep the dragons penned up, which over time made them weaker and smaller. Eventually they were so weak that they couldn't hatch anymore, or else they were poisoning the eggs.

Either way it's hard to imagine that the maesters set out on some grand dragonslaying crusade, it's going to be much more subtle scheme of "kill the dragons".

What are they up to now though? The dude talks to Sam at the end of Feast and he's all like YO MAN THE MAESTERS ARE TRYING TO CREATE A CERTAIN KIND OF WORLD.

Also they buy any and all book, so maybe some magic books, so maybe these fuckers are like, hoarding or destroying magical poo poo? KNOW WHAT I MEAN DUDE? God I get loving excited by this poo poo.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

HarveyVdarski posted:

So what the gently caress is up with them Maesters? Nobody talks about them but they seem to have this whole 'behind the scenes' Illuminati poo poo going. That guy at the end of feast talks about Aemon getting assassinated hypothetically, and the rumor is that the dragons were like, slowly assraped by maesters through the ages, etc.

And a bunch of stuff like that. So who expects Maester Luwin to reappear and be like an evil zombie, and he'll like, have a swordfight with Sam or something. I dunno. Those Maesters are going to be major players though. Anyway.

The Jaquen H'ghar/Alchemist/Pod subplot is probably going to explain this (ambiguosly). And that will be Sam at Hogw...I mean Oldtown. Based on current evidence, and as I've said in prior posts, as it stands I'm with the Maesters. A world free of the depredations of the arcane and the absurd sounds like a better place. Less "magical" but also less poo poo that can burn you to death.

This is why the depicition of the dragons made me laugh a little. It was done in a interesting way; they were edgy apex predators with no real ecological niche. So instead of D&D you got those ones from that bad Christian Bale/Matthew Mcconaughey movies.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Aurubin posted:

The Jaquen H'ghar/Alchemist/Pod subplot is probably going to explain this (ambiguosly). And that will be Sam at Hogw...I mean Oldtown. Based on current evidence, and as I've said in prior posts, as it stands I'm with the Maesters. A world free of the depredations of the arcane and the absurd sounds like a better place. Less "magical" but also less poo poo that can burn you to death.

This is why the depicition of the dragons made me laugh a little. It was done in a interesting way; they were edgy apex predators with no real ecological niche. So instead of D&D you got those ones from that bad Christian Bale/Matthew Mcconaughey movies.

This is a common misconception. Much like elephants, dragons needy be properly socialized with other older dragons to suppress many of their antisocial tendencies. They learn by observing and left on their own without guidance they end up being big jerks, punting rhinos and eating whole khalasars.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why is this thread photoshop-tagged now?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Despite how well liked he is around here, I suspect any theory with Delorous Edd playing a central role is unlikely to come about.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Aurubin posted:

The implication seems to be that if you kill the dragons, you throw the magical world out of whack. In other words, the Maesters can't create a magic-free world, because if you suppress the influence of the good gods, the bad gods start loving poo poo up.

The world of A Song of Ice and Fire can never become like our world, because the rules are different. The maesters, while progressing science, are loving things up on a global scale because they suppress magic.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

Quantify! posted:

The implication seems to be that if you kill the dragons, you throw the magical world out of whack. In other words, the Maesters can't create a magic-free world, because if you suppress the influence of the good gods, the bad gods start loving poo poo up.

The world of A Song of Ice and Fire can never become like our world, because the rules are different. The maesters, while progressing science, are loving things up on a global scale because they suppress magic.

If I am reading this interpretation right, suppressing magic is equivalent to outlawing the use of guns in the United States, while every other (evil) country is still allowed to use them...and that makes zero sense to me. It seems to be the case that someway or another you can magic disappear all together (good and bad).

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Quantify! posted:

Actually the world of A Song of Ice and Fire is our world, hundreds of thousands of years in the future. The various gods are the remnants of the Noosphere, that destroyed humanity through warping reality, which hosed with the seasonal shifts and also introduced all these "magical" elements. Once the Noosphere realized it had no purpose now that humans are gone, it decided to restart humanity with minor changes in biology and stuff, and attempted to recreate the course of human history in this supernatural environment.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I don't know that the Bad Magic is tied to the absence of dragons though, I don't think the maesters are indirectly responsible for the Others or what not.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Martin Van Buren posted:

Actually the world of A Song of Ice and Fire is our world, hundreds of thousands of years in the future. The various gods are the remnants of the Noosphere, that destroyed humanity through warping reality, which hosed with the seasonal shifts and also introduced all these "magical" elements. Once the Noosphere realized it had no purpose now that humans are gone, it decided to restart humanity with minor changes in biology and stuff, and attempted to recreate the course of human history in this supernatural environment.

It all makes sense now.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

withak posted:

It all makes sense now.

Notice how Grrm has stated that Westeros is "roughly the size of South America"? Maybe it roughly is South America. That would makes Essos modern day Europe/Africa/Middle East, Sothoros a hosed up Antarctic, and The Land of Always Winter a messed up North America. :11tea:

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Jimmy James posted:

If I am reading this interpretation right, suppressing magic is equivalent to outlawing the use of guns in the United States, while every other (evil) country is still allowed to use them...and that makes zero sense to me. It seems to be the case that someway or another you can magic disappear all together (good and bad).
I think dragons are agents of good magic. The fact that dragons still exist in the shadow of Asshai explains why all the cool magic people come from there. When dragons return, fire magic grows stronger.

Cutting down the magic trees and killing the magic fire dragons meant less power for the green and red gods to work in the world. Meanwhile the ice god has a fresh supply of corpses all the time.

Checks and balances man.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski
So why did dragons come back? Balances?

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

HarveyVdarski posted:

So why did dragons come back? Balances?
Yes, also checks.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I don't think we can say that magic is returning because of the dragons hatching at all. It could just a s well be that the dragons returned BECAUSE magic, for whatever reason, is making a comeback. Same with the Others. It might also be a bit of a chicken dragon and the egg situation.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Quantify! posted:

Cutting down the magic trees and killing the magic fire dragons meant less power for the green and red gods to work in the world. Meanwhile the ice god has a fresh supply of corpses all the time.

Checks and balances man.

But dragons are a part of recent history. The Others are all but fairytales.

Edit: Oh, unless you mean the mere presence of the dragons and magic trees were enough to keep the Great Other's power down and that's why we're seeing the Others returning now.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 12, 2011

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Junkenstein posted:

Oh, unless you mean the mere presence of the dragons and magic trees were enough to keep the Great Other's power down and that's why we're seeing the Others returning now.
This is what I meant, yeah.

The green, red, and white gods seem to bestow what are largely the same gifts.

The green gods allow you to recieve visions and to see through the eyes of others, as well as prolong your life. The power seems to come from the natural world and the gods work through living things. The red gods allow you to recieve visions and to restore life, which seems to basically be soul transference. The power comes from fire and blood and the gods work through sacrifice. The white gods allow the Others to reanimate dead flesh and to see through the eyes of their zombies. This is a combination of the red gods ability to resurrect, and the green gods ability to project the mind. Presumably their power comes from death, and they work through dead things.

Since in a perfectly balanced world, the followers of any one god wouldn't have a particular advantage over the followers of any other god, one assumes that there is meant to be a balance. The fact that the seasons are erratic in length supports this theory. The three seasons represent each of the gods. In a balanced world, Spring, Summer, and Winter would be of equal lengths because the green, red, and white gods are equally powerful.

pimpslap
Nov 27, 2002
new home, old colors, same Arsenal
Why even assume that any of the gods mentioned in the book are real? Isn't it reasonable that magic exists in the world and therefore humans created gods to explain the magic? There seems to be quite a bit of agnosticism, ambivalence, or outright hostility from various characters to all of the religions in the books. Just saying...

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I think Martin has actually stated that he's never going to show whether any of the gods are real.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
What about the Brown God of the Autumn, the Worm of Decay

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://store.steampowered.com/app/58550/

New A Game of Thrones game called Genesis. It looks pretty old school RTS style thing. I should watch the videos though.

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 13, 2011

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

pimpslap posted:

Why even assume that any of the gods mentioned in the book are real? Isn't it reasonable that magic exists in the world and therefore humans created gods to explain the magic? There seems to be quite a bit of agnosticism, ambivalence, or outright hostility from various characters to all of the religions in the books. Just saying...
Replace "god" with "the forces that control how magic is used". All of what I wrote still applies. Since the characters believe in gods, I write as if they're real. We don't know based on what we've read if they really exist or not.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Quantify! posted:

Replace "god" with "the forces that control how magic is used". All of what I wrote still applies. Since the characters believe in gods, I write as if they're real. We don't know based on what we've read if they really exist or not.

Someone a while back posted a theory that the maesters were trying to rid the world of magic. Part of the plan was to introduce the Seven to replace the other gods. The Seven have a face to appeal to everyone but haven't shown any power yet that I can think of. Whether any gods are actual deities or their "power" derives from a belief in their power/rituals doesn't matter. Killing off the dragons may or may not be part of that.

Dead Man Posting posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/58550/

New A Game of Thrones game called Genesis. It looks pretty old school RTS style thing. I should watch the videos though.

I always thought that a Total War-style GoT game would be awesome. The whole world building, sneaky diplomacy would fit so well.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Doobie Keebler posted:

Someone a while back posted a theory that the maesters were trying to rid the world of magic. Part of the plan was to introduce the Seven to replace the other gods. The Seven have a face to appeal to everyone but haven't shown any power yet that I can think of. Whether any gods are actual deities or their "power" derives from a belief in their power/rituals doesn't matter. Killing off the dragons may or may not be part of that.
I'm fond of this theory, but the Seven were worshiped before the maesters (at least as far as we know).

However, it's believable that the Maesters promoted the Faith to further their goals. The Targaryens converted to the Faith, and kept their dragons chained, and eventually both dragons and Targaryens almost died out.

Part of the problem with Aegon is that he's been instructed in the Faith (and probably actually believes), but Dany is far more likely to follow the red god. And we've seen that the red god has true power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Doobie Keebler posted:

I always thought that a Total War-style GoT game would be awesome. The whole world building, sneaky diplomacy would fit so well.

It's been a while in the making, but this Medieval 2 mod might actually see the light of day.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=721