Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ockhams Crowbar posted:

Loving the Roman legionnaire - I may have to track that one down.

I've seen custom built Colosseums and such, but have there been any official Lego sets dealing with Rome or its architecture? It seems like such a rich vein to tap.

The closest thing, funny enough, is some of the Atlantis sets. They're covered with seaweed and stuff but some of the bigger ones have pillars and stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Atlantis-City-7985/dp/B004P95962 This one especially has a real nice Roman feel to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testro
May 2, 2009
Yeah, I can second that - I bought that set solely for the bricks to use in Roman-esque buildings.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ireladd posted:

Series 6:

bandit
Jesus, all that bandit needs is a Dracula cape and he could be The Shadow.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Luminaflare posted:

That looks really awesome, can't decide if it's some sort of space fighter or hover racer or some such. The guys expression just pulls it all together.

I love the panic expressions on the newer minifigs, but I hate that all the heads are two-sided now. What if my space guys want to chill out with their helmets off?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Put a hair piece on them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Phy posted:

Holy poo poo, you're right. SOLD.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The_Doctor posted:

I just realised the butcher is holding the meat bone that the zombie was originally supposed to come with before they switched it out with the chicken leg.
I think everyone is missing the most important part of this reveal. More Meatpunk.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Phy posted:

The_Doctor posted:

Holy poo poo, you're right. SOLD.

You can't fit a cape and bandana on at the same time :(

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sure you can. I put capes on figures with beards and long hair pieces all the time. The capes are just little thin bits of cloth, there's no reason it wouldn't fit.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
drat right it is. One of my dudes has a cape, armor and the shoulder pauldrons on.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Heres a spaceship I've been tweaking for the past few weeks. Its definitely the best lego creation I've ever made. Thanks for getting me back into lego goons!

So can anyone more experienced tell me whether this qualifies to be a vic viper?

Debunk This! fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 10, 2011

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Not really

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

Not really

fair enough! I really enjoyed building it though I had no idea what it was going to be until I had roughly half of it done.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Man, I want the three FLW Architecture sets so bad, but they're crazy overpriced. Has anyone ever seen them on sale?

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Rare Collectable posted:

Heres a spaceship I've been tweaking for the past few weeks. Its definitely the best lego creation I've ever made. Thanks for getting me back into lego goons!

So can anyone more experienced tell me whether this qualifies to be a vic viper?

That's neat, and it inspired me to try my hand at my very first Vic Viper:

I still don't know how to do SNOT effectively, but I love this color scheme.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Time Cowboy posted:

That's neat, and it inspired me to try my hand at my very first Vic Viper:

I still don't know how to do SNOT effectively, but I love this color scheme.

This is awesome! And I agree, that orange and blue combo is :krad:.

mp5_smg
Apr 2, 2010
I finally got around to posting my favourite set to contribute to this thread.

It's the Model Team set 5571, and I modified it so that it has dual rear wheels.

I built a trailer for it using the lego designer program and then getting a part out of it, and then ordering the parts off bricklink to build it.

The semi truck I got the partout off of bricklink and ordered all the bricks from different places around the world. It's 99% complete too. It only cost about 200$ in parts and shipping to build it as well. Well worth the money as I always wanted the set ever since I was a kid.

The trailer is about 90% done, i'd like to do a couple more things to it but having a kid eats up a lot of your time.

I still figure i'd contribute though, hope it inspires someone else to make something similar. I wish they would make awesome model team sets again.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Amazing. I loved the model team sets when I was a kid but the closest I got to lego was looking at the catalog we didn't have much money.

Bricklink is awesome and now I will probably do like you did and part it out. Sometimes its easier to call lego and get the parts direct but ever since they limited it to 10 diffrent part per order and pick a brick's poor selection I have still used bricklink for the majority of my orders.

mp5_smg
Apr 2, 2010

Merchant of Death posted:

Amazing. I loved the model team sets when I was a kid but the closest I got to lego was looking at the catalog we didn't have much money.

Bricklink is awesome and now I will probably do like you did and part it out. Sometimes its easier to call lego and get the parts direct but ever since they limited it to 10 diffrent part per order and pick a brick's poor selection I have still used bricklink for the majority of my orders.

That truck is made up of parts from all over Canada, the US, and europe. Only thing not original to it is the wheels because people who had the original wheels which I believe were only in that set, wanted to 30$ a rim and like 10$ a tire, or something ridiculous like that.

I had great experiences with Bricklink too, never got screwed.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
What tires did you end up using? They look pretty good.

The 'power puller' and 8466 wheels are retarded for cost too and probably the biggest wheels you can find lego wise.

mp5_smg
Apr 2, 2010

Merchant of Death posted:

What tires did you end up using? They look pretty good.

The 'power puller' and 8466 wheels are retarded for cost too and probably the biggest wheels you can find lego wise.

I believe I ended up using the tires off the technic tow truck that came out about 4 years ago or so. It was still somewhat expensive but not ridiculous like the original.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
They are a great match. Now I am probably going to spend $20-30 on wheels

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm still digging through this thread (which made me spend $100 on Knights and Star Wars sets yesterday, as well as call my parents who--in their parental wisdom--kept me from offing my LEGO poo poo a decade ago), so I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I'm about 95% positive that this set is the Robie House. Given the one detail piece we can see plus the silhouette, that's what I think. We'll see sometime this month, I suppose.

PS: Thank you Something Awful, you have dropped another thing on me that I forgot I loved and now must spend money on.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

mp5_smg posted:

That truck is made up of parts from all over Canada, the US, and europe. Only thing not original to it is the wheels because people who had the original wheels which I believe were only in that set, wanted to 30$ a rim and like 10$ a tire, or something ridiculous like that.

I had great experiences with Bricklink too, never got screwed.
What's the easiest way to do this? I really want the Silver Champion but I suspect it would be easier to buy all the parts separately and just build it that way.

However, doing it part by part, vendor by vendor seems awfully time consuming. Is there a shortcut?

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock

rickiep00h posted:

so I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I'm about 95% positive that this set is the Robie House. Given the one detail piece we can see plus the silhouette, that's what I think. We'll see sometime this month, I suppose.

Not only it certainly is the Robie House, also, you'd rather start saving a good lot of money...

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Robie-House-21010;jsessionid=i0EXp3ImveMGcOpvqn8deg**.lego-ps-3-3?ShipTo=US&_requestid=9189315

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tony Sorete posted:

Not only it certainly is the Robie House, also, you'd rather start saving a good lot of money...

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Robie-House-21010;jsessionid=i0EXp3ImveMGcOpvqn8deg**.lego-ps-3-3?ShipTo=US&_requestid=9189315

Yeah, I just saw that, and came back to edit my original post. :sigh:

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Oh god I just bought 10197 Fire Brigade for the GF. She doesn't know yet, and I think she's gonna kill me.

e: Forgot that I also got 5 of each series 3, 4 and 5 minifigs...

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 12, 2011

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

einTier posted:

What's the easiest way to do this? I really want the Silver Champion but I suspect it would be easier to buy all the parts separately and just build it that way.

However, doing it part by part, vendor by vendor seems awfully time consuming. Is there a shortcut?

The way I generally do it is I make a wanted list in bricklink, then whichever rare/expensive part I have I will go by that for my first purchase and usually pick up at least half of what the order is from the same store to save on shipping. I figure generally unless its a small amount of items if I am paying $20-30 shipping I will load up on parts I need even if some of them are a bit more than other stores. Some stores also have a min sale amout, so while there prices may be cheaper but only if you can fill out your cart. Stores with specific lot amounts per dollar piss me off because I am rarely looking just for 200 of this brick.

The wanted part system is pretty good and most big stores will have most of your order so when you go to the store first thing you click on the left is see whats they have on your wanted list.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Seeing those centurions makes me want a lego themed Rome so very badly. Coliseums and senates and togas, oh my.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A historical line in Lego would be incredible. Each set would take place in a different era.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tony Sorete posted:

It can't be just me who thinks those architecture sets are the biggest waste of money, right?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

They're really overpriced for what they are, which is weird since I don't think they use a single esoteric piece across all the models.

And most of them don't look that good. Mostly falling water. I love Falling Water and I think the model looks pretty good, but it doesn't look like falling water, simply because of the scale, I think.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I think the Burj Khalifa is the most egregious. It's almost all just grey barrels, which doesn't really look right and would be really cheap to do via bricklink.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh hey, the instructions for Falling Water: http://cache.lego.com/bigdownloads/buildinginstructions/4579599.pdf

Now I don't have to buy it and can build it from home.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Oh hey, the instructions for Falling Water: http://cache.lego.com/bigdownloads/buildinginstructions/4579599.pdf

Now I don't have to buy it and can build it from home.

Gonna have to modify it a bit unless you want to spend ~$30 on trans clear 1x2 tiles, though.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Gonna have to modify it a bit unless you want to spend ~$30 on trans clear 1x2 tiles, though.

Call lego directly and they wont be as expensive. If a part still in production is overpriced on bricklink calling lego and asking them for x of that part outside of there pick a brick program is affordable. Not all countries do this but most parts that should be around 10-15 cents but are $1 on bricklink even with shipping will save you cash.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

It can't be just me who thinks those architecture sets are the biggest waste of money, right?

They are severely overpriced. Which is a shame, because if they were fairly priced for the part simplicity involved I would have probably bought the entire line just because.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Just take ideas from them and make them better and order most of your parts online. Lego has always been about making it your own and when they go dumb with license costs its just better to try make your own version of it.

triad
Jan 6, 2007

YOU KNEADED SOMEONE TO BLAME, SO YOU CRUST IT ON ME
Sweet, check out this space pimp and his pimpmobile

http://spacepolice.lego.com/en-us/products/default.aspx#5984

Boy, reading this thread has really made me want to get back into lego, too bad all of my stuff is in boxes on the other side of the country :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

triad posted:

Sweet, check out this space pimp and his pimpmobile

http://spacepolice.lego.com/en-us/products/default.aspx#5984

Boy, reading this thread has really made me want to get back into lego, too bad all of my stuff is in boxes on the other side of the country :(

One of the all-time greatest LEGO sets.
Already out of production though.

As much as I'm digging Alien Conquest I do wish they had kept Space Police 3 going a bit longer.