Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Welp.

My '05 outback xt has been in the shop for a week getting the heads pulled off to check the valves in my latest attempt to figure out why I'm only getting 30psi in cylinder 4. The shop found nothing wrong with the heads, so that pretty much leaves the ring land as the culprit, but a quick look shows nothing catastrophic. the engine was otherwise healthy apart from the misfires that started this adventure. The turbo still looks brand new (it was replaced last year around this time), and I can't really afford a whole new engine, nor do I want to roll the dice on a used one out of someone's hooner,

So how about a new short block, or a rebuilt one? I've read about swapping them out for supa tuna ones out of an sti, but I mostly just DD it and like to scare my passengers every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Ruh roh!

quote:

WASHINGTON — Subaru is recalling 2002-'07 Imprezas and 2003-'08 Foresters and Saab is recalling 2005-'06 9-2Xs because of a suspension problem that could result in loss of vehicle control, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The recall totals 295,123 cars.

"The front lower control arms may break at the hanger brackets due to corrosion if the hanger bracket is exposed to salty and humid environments such as roads containing snow-melting agent," NHTSA said in its recalls summary of the problem. "A broken control arm can result in the loss of control of the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash."

The affected vehicles were sold or registered in so-called "salt belt" states. They are Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Wisconsin, Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, Ohio, Rhode Island, West Virginia and the District of Columbia.

The recall involves 104,981 Subaru Imprezas, 179,795 Subaru Foresters and 10,347 Saab 9-2Xs. The 9-2X is an Impreza twin.

Subaru dealers will inspect the degree of corrosion of the front lower control arms and will either rust-proof or replace them. The recall is expected to begin in November. Owners can contact Subaru at (800) 782-2783.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
There is a big white puddle of thick grease on my brick driveway this morning. One of the whiteline ball joint boots that I just paid to have put on has already split. gently caress them. They havent even been on 1000 miles.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Ruh roh!
Yeah, there were rumblings this was going to happen. I don't think Subaru Canada has announced anything yet. Too bad it came out after I've already swapped my bent OEM steel pieces for new aluminum wonderments.

Odd that it covers the GD Imprezas but not the GC/GF even though the wagons all share the same control arm design and presumably the same rustproofing.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Fantastic. Can't wait to drop it off for new control arms :D

Edit: Crap they're gonna inspect first. My car is pretty rust free :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, mine is pretty rust free as well even though I'm in western PA.

Still though, extra rustproofing if they don't replace isn't bad.

I may schedule a time to get this and the cold weather fuel smell done sometime this november, just get it all done at once.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Blaise posted:

If you're in an OBD2-only state (no sniffer) you'll pass with CEL suppression via Open Source or Cobb or whatever flash you use. I'm PA 'legal' with no cats... and soon I won't have TGV or any of that other crap either.

I am! Thanks.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

I figure I'd post this here and let you guys get a kick out of it. This is the upper coolant reservoir on my 02 wrx. I noticed some steam coming out of the hood after some routine maintenance and the smell of burning coolant. So I decided to pop the hood and take a look.

How in the gently caress? It's just ... off.

Seriously, how the gently caress does that even happen? Rust? Did something blow up and just fall off? It really looks like a piece is missing. All I need this car to do is hold out until I get my new one. Between this and the potential for "catastrophic loss of steering", the next few weeks should be interesting.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, there were rumblings this was going to happen. I don't think Subaru Canada has announced anything yet. Too bad it came out after I've already swapped my bent OEM steel pieces for new aluminum wonderments.

Odd that it covers the GD Imprezas but not the GC/GF even though the wagons all share the same control arm design and presumably the same rustproofing.

Same thing! Dammit!

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Ruh roh!

So they include WV,MD,DC but not VA (specifically Northern VA)? Awewsome

:mad:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So goodbye Direzza Star Specs, you only lasted 20k miles.

Hello Yokohama YK520's. You're rated for 60k miles. Let's roll!

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 13, 2011

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser
I am looking to pick up some junker wheels for winter use and I can get a set of 4 outback wheels for 100 bucks or less, when question is, will they fit? Has Subarus offset and bolt pattern ever been incompatible between outbacks and imprezas? I did a little research and got this:

quote:

Subaru uses a pattern called 5/100 ( meaning 5 bolts and 100 mm in between) EXCEPT the Tribeca that uses 5/113,5 and Justy 4/100 (also Impreza STI( 5/133,5))

Centerhole for a all Subarus is 56,1 mm ( except Justy 54,1 mm)

The offset ( often called ET =Einpresung Tief) differs a bit so pay attention:

55mm
Legacy
Impreza 94-07
Tribeca

48 mm

Outback
Forrester
Impreza 08-

This leads me to believe that it would fit, now will it clear the brakes and what not? My brakes don't really come off as being big so I don't know... any help?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Airbone Operation posted:

I am looking to pick up some junker wheels for winter use and I can get a set of 4 outback wheels for 100 bucks or less, when question is, will they fit? Has Subarus offset and bolt pattern ever been incompatible between outbacks and imprezas? I did a little research and got this:

This leads me to believe that it would fit, now will it clear the brakes and what not? My brakes don't really come off as being big so I don't know... any help?

What car you have might be useful in answering your question.

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser
haha I thought I put that in there, 2011 WRX

edit: 17x8 5x100 +53 offset stock, other subaru wheels vary in offset from 55 to 48 but that is within 5 of my stock offset so I guess clearing brakes would be the only issue right?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

edit: 17x8 5x100 +53 offset stock, other subaru wheels vary in offset from 55 to 48 but that is within 5 of my stock offset so I guess clearing brakes would be the only issue right?

Yea, rotor size will be your only issue. Alas, I don't know much about the newer imprezas. What size are the outback wheels or what year are they from?

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 13, 2011

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

for what it is worth, 17s clear my 10 LGT. I'd imagine the same holds true for a WRX -- I doubt there's any major difference in clearance between the two.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I ran stock 2002 WRX 16s on my 2011 last winter, no issues.

I believe the only fitment issues you are going to find with subaru 16s is on the 2006 WRX with its 4 pots.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 13, 2011

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I ran stock 2002 WRX 16s on my 2011 last winter, no issues.

I believe the only fitment issues you are going to find with subaru 16s is on the 2006 WRX with its 4 pots.

Certain OEM/JDM Subaru 16s will clear them.

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser
I just slapped my grandmothers 02 outback's on my wrx and they fit aside from the taller tire on the wheel. That years wheel is 16x6.5 +48 and had 225/60/16s on it. I don't know what wheels the guy has, he has been a subaru mechanic for like 25 years or more and has tons of subaru parts/cars/crap around his shop. He said he doesn't know much about new stuff, but I guess it should work. What size 16" tire do I need? Like a 185 something?

edit: I guess 215/55/16 will be proper

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

I just slapped my grandmothers 02 outback's on my wrx and they fit aside from the taller tire on the wheel. That years wheel is 16x6.5 +48 and had 225/60/16s on it. I don't know what wheels the guy has, he has been a subaru mechanic for like 25 years or more and has tons of subaru parts/cars/crap around his shop. He said he doesn't know much about new stuff, but I guess it should work. What size 16" tire do I need? Like a 185 something?

edit: I guess 215/55/16 will be proper

For the effort, what about just ordering a wheel/tire combo from TireRack that you will know will fit? (I meant steelies)

It doesn't sound like you have tires picked out yet, so they could arrive pre-installed for your convenience too.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 13, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sockington posted:

Certain OEM/JDM Subaru 16s will clear them.

Yeah, I just meant as a general rule other years you really don't have to worry about any of them.

Airbone Operation, yes 215/55/16 would be the right size for the '11 in 16.

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser
Money. Oil is almost a dollar more expensive than last year at this time, the more I can save the warmer I get to be

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

So this old 98 Outback has been having an issue with codes P0301 and P0302 (cylinders #1 and #2 misfire) for about 20k miles. It would only happen during high load, and since my dad owned it at the time he liked to take it to the dealership. They claimed that they couldn't figure it out from only testing the plug wire resistance (10k Ohms) and left it at that.

Nothing happened for a while and the light stayed off as I drove with keeping it off in mind (no >3500 rpm in 5th seemed to work) but today despite this driving style it still came on.

So checking all the ignition components myself I found a ton of issues with just a quick glance. The most obvious problem was this:

Which one of these is not like the others?

So with that cleaned up I checked the resistance across them, the haynes manual says it should be between 18k-24.5k Ohms. These only got 7k across both 1/2 and 3/4. Not good.

On top of all this I noticed that the plug wires were as grimy as the components that had never been replaced. I don't have any old Subarus to compare to so here's where I seek the infinite knowledge of AI, are these original OEM plug wires? They say "1998" on them which suggests that they were made in 1998, but I don't want to jump to conclusions here.

Fortunately my dad was a big fan of paperwork and he has every single service record for the car since he bought it, and according to them the plugs were replaced at the scheduled intervals (60k and 120k) and the car has 163k on it now. No mention of the wires so they very well could be original. I just tested the wires and I get about 5k Ohms which is within spec, but not anywhere near what the dealership claims.

I know dealership repair work is a rip-off but this is such a blindingly obvious problem I'm blown away that they couldn't diagnose it. I'm tempted to go back and demand they fix this poo poo but at this point there isn't really much of a reason to ever take it back there.

For now I just cleaned the contact on the coil pack and reset the CEL. Just doing that made the car much easier to start, before it would take a second or two before firing and now it's instant, even when cold.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Lord Gaga posted:

There is a big white puddle of thick grease on my brick driveway this morning. One of the whiteline ball joint boots that I just paid to have put on has already split. gently caress them. They havent even been on 1000 miles.

Been back and forth with Whiteline USA about this via email for a couple days now. Looks like they're going to send a replacement boot and possibly a new set of front end links for the trouble this has caused given the ridiculously fast failure rate. Helps that I had a shop install and press in the joints and have dated receipts for everything too.

They were installed August 16, 2011. Purchased new July 30, 2011. Failed and leaked on my driveway Sept 10th-12th.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

law abiding rapist posted:

So this old 98 Outback has been having an issue with codes P0301 and P0302 (cylinders #1 and #2 misfire) for about 20k miles. It would only happen during high load, and since my dad owned it at the time he liked to take it to the dealership. They claimed that they couldn't figure it out from only testing the plug wire resistance (10k Ohms) and left it at that.

I'm going to guess he took it to Stevens Creek, or maybe Diablo?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

CharlesM posted:

I'm going to guess he took it to Stevens Creek, or maybe Diablo?

Close, downtown Oakland.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh, I don't know anything about their service department, but their parts guy wouldn't order anything for me because I didn't have a VIN#. Turd.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

It's me again, this time with a question about wheel bearings for a Forester (2002 L). Apart from the bearings themselves, are there any seals and/or rings needed? Is subaruonlineparts.com the best place to get them from? Rockauto?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

CharlesM posted:

Oh, I don't know anything about their service department, but their parts guy wouldn't order anything for me because I didn't have a VIN#. Turd.

I usually go in with the part number which makes it much easier. Between opposedforces, subarupartsforyou, and subarugenuineparts you can look up pretty much any part number and know how much it's going to cost before you get to the dealer.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, back when I did this they only had parts diagrams for a few models online. I put later model brake hoses and clips on my '99 Forester since I changed to 2006 XT struts. They are exactly the same except they don't use the stupid clips that you have to dremel out or remove the brake hoses to change the struts.

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser
I bought 4 16" wheels off of a 2002 impreza (wrx maybe? I don't know I didn't see the donor car and I am not good at wheels) and they had new winter tires in 205/55/16 which is a little small BUT for 4 wheels/tires mounted and balanced for 375, it seems pretty good. I could have got the wheels for 200 but then winter tires would have cost another 4-500 bucks so... I think it worked well.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Someone clipped my bumper and driver's side headlight. The bumper is fine, I can buff out the damage, but the headlight lens and the housing needs to be replaced (some of the reflective pieces on the housing are broken as well. Currently I'm doing well with my packing tape lens, but I need to replace it.

I'm coming up on something odd though, I've been to subarupartsforyou and subarupartswholesale, and I'm not sure what I need.

Part # 84001AG51B seems to be the entire headlight, bulbs and all.
If I look on wholesale though, it gives me the option to buy just the lens and housing, but it's more expensive. Is there some other part number I should be looking for?

'08 LGT, by the way.

In addition, if anyone has a left headlight laying around, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
What is the recommended boost gauge and gauge pod? I have been looking at the ebay spt omori gauge, the opinion is that the light is too bright and it doesn't dim. I also don't know about just hanging the pod off the column cover.

I was thinking of getting just getting jegs VDO gauges and the ebay clock replacement. The 2 pod thing that replaces the stock gauge bezel looks cool, but I haven't really seen it anywhere. Is there a cheap place to get it?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

blindjoe posted:

What is the recommended boost gauge and gauge pod? I have been looking at the ebay spt omori gauge, the opinion is that the light is too bright and it doesn't dim. I also don't know about just hanging the pod off the column cover.

I was thinking of getting just getting jegs VDO gauges and the ebay clock replacement. The 2 pod thing that replaces the stock gauge bezel looks cool, but I haven't really seen it anywhere. Is there a cheap place to get it?

I am using a JCS cubby pod and STRI boost gauge. I think it was right around $200 for the whole setup:

Pod: http://www.jcspods.com/subarugt.html
Gauge: https://www.bostonmotorsports.com

Bojanglesworth fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 15, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blindjoe posted:

What car?
I have this OEMish (made by defi, sold by subaru) thing in my LGT

Matches exactly by way too expensive ($600). The temp guage has gotten a touch flaky after 60k mi -- it still works, but every 10k mi or so it stops working briefy and comes back to life. I think i have a loose wire somewhere, but :effort:
With typical LGT MPGs. :p Wow, my car had only 40k on it when I took that.

nm fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 15, 2011

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

nm posted:

What car?
Matches exactly by way too expensive ($600).
(With typical LGT MPGs)

Sorry, I have a 2002 WRX, not something new and fancy like those are.

ickna
May 19, 2004

nm posted:

I got better gas mileage than that with a blown motor

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, holy hell. Even if I beat on my '11 WRX I can't get it to go much below 18mpg for a tank in hilly PA.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

nm posted:

What car?

Matches exactly by way too expensive ($600). The temp guage has gotten a touch flaky after 60k mi -- it still works, but every 10k mi or so it stops working briefy and comes back to life. I think i have a loose wire somewhere, but :effort:

Have you changed injectors? Because that will mess with the reading on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Someone clipped my bumper and driver's side headlight. The bumper is fine, I can buff out the damage, but the headlight lens and the housing needs to be replaced (some of the reflective pieces on the housing are broken as well. Currently I'm doing well with my packing tape lens, but I need to replace it.

I'm coming up on something odd though, I've been to subarupartsforyou and subarupartswholesale, and I'm not sure what I need.

Part # 84001AG51B seems to be the entire headlight, bulbs and all.
If I look on wholesale though, it gives me the option to buy just the lens and housing, but it's more expensive. Is there some other part number I should be looking for?

'08 LGT, by the way.

In addition, if anyone has a left headlight laying around, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

One more thing, there's some on ebay for $160, is that risky to buy? It's about half of what the online stores are charging.