Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Sole.Sushi posted:

EDIT: On the defense of sugar.

What about ants? I would not want to wake up to find 100 ants gnawing at my bases (maybe for 'nids). Are we counting on matte varnish to seal them up like a ziplock baggy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

ActionZero posted:

So today I've been painting a Chaos Warrior as my first ever model that I've ever actually painted. I just slapped some Badab Black all over the base colours and I drastically need some reassurance that it's normal for the wash to look awful while it's still wet. I'm biting my nails from nervousness that I might have ruined the model.

use a clean brush to wick some of the excess wash off, that helps.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have pics saved of the stuff that (malal? malalol?) scratchbuilt and posted here? He did an ork bomma and a chaos dragon, iirc.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ActionZero posted:

So today I've been painting a Chaos Warrior as my first ever model that I've ever actually painted. I just slapped some Badab Black all over the base colours and I drastically need some reassurance that it's normal for the wash to look awful while it's still wet. I'm biting my nails from nervousness that I might have ruined the model.

Okay it's dried now. Badab Black is the best product Games Workshop sells, just that one coat has made the model look so much better.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

What about ants? I would not want to wake up to find 100 ants gnawing at my bases (maybe for 'nids). Are we counting on matte varnish to seal them up like a ziplock baggy?

A combination of cyanoacrylate (superglue) and a layer of matte varnish will seal in any sort of tasty odors that ants would be attracted to, as well as giving off odors that most (if not all) insects would naturally avoid. Really, the only thing you'd have to worry about is the sugar yellowing with age, but good sugar won't do that to you.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ashcans posted:

If you aren't going to put a mustache on this the whole project is a waste of time. Sorry, but you needed to hear the plain truth.

Seconded. Maybe a comical fake mustache?

Hat looks awesome though.

spikedog
Sep 11, 2011
Hi all, good to see there is a thread for modelers here, figured I would intro me and my work as I imagine I will be in here a fair bit.

My main army is Skaven:

and for that army I just finished working on sculpting this guy:

Also some random highlights of stuff I have done before:

Random 40K tank:

Tyranid:

Vampires:

Currently I am working on some Chaos Dwarfs:

Still trying to narrow the scheme down though so any comments would be welcome. Already looked through some of this thread and there is some good stuff here, looking forward to helping where I can and getting some help back.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

ActionZero posted:

Might not want to apply it over the entire model. I apply it between armor pieces and stuff like that. Over the entire model will darken the colors too much.
Then again, I'm a rookie myself so what do I know.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

That green stuff hellpit abomination is awesome!

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

spikedog posted:

Currently I am working on some Chaos Dwarfs:

Still trying to narrow the scheme down though so any comments would be welcome. Already looked through some of this thread and there is some good stuff here, looking forward to helping where I can and getting some help back.

That guy looks gorgeous. I love the paint scheme. One question though, how the heck does that poor guy see through the helmet? :v:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
spikedog please do a whole army of nids, TIA.

spikedog
Sep 11, 2011

Torabi posted:

That guy looks gorgeous. I love the paint scheme. One question though, how the heck does that poor guy see through the helmet? :v:

Thanks Torabi, glad you like him. No idea about how he sees though, magic? :silent:?

ghetto wormhole posted:

spikedog please do a whole army of nids, TIA.

I did, they looked like this:

But I got bored with 40K so I sold them.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Okay now I need to get some tips, after applying the wash (which worked out fine) I tried to apply some highlighting but it's looking really crap, my bleached bone ended up flowing in and filling ALL of the recesses on any bone parts I tried to highlight so I had to give it another wash to make it not just a solid mass of bleached bone. Trying to get less paint on the brush just led to it not actually covering anything at all. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to get my paint to not do this.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like your paint is actually too thin. Let it sit out for a few minutes then try again.

spikedog
Sep 11, 2011

ActionZero posted:

Okay now I need to get some tips, after applying the wash (which worked out fine) I tried to apply some highlighting but it's looking really crap, my bleached bone ended up flowing in and filling ALL of the recesses on any bone parts I tried to highlight so I had to give it another wash to make it not just a solid mass of bleached bone. Trying to get less paint on the brush just led to it not actually covering anything at all. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to get my paint to not do this.

Many layers of thin paint is better than one or two layers of thick paint. It might not seem to be covering much but try using paint about the consistency of milk and layering it again and again making sure to let it dry between the layers.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Spikedog teach me to sculpt tia

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

And post some painted sculpt of yours :allears:

Simpo
May 1, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

buy clay shapers, spit on everything, and go slowly.

That hellpit loooks awesome, my only crit is that the muscles on the left leg look a bit 'drawn on'

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Simpo posted:

I did this and all it got me was busted by store security. Gonna go faster next time.

spikedog
Sep 11, 2011

Simpo posted:

This ^ Also I would add, work in layers. Don't do too much at once and let your sections dry for at least 6 hours before working over them to prevent finger prints.

Although I just use a cheap sculpting tool set I picked up years back, looks like a dentist set. I need to get me some clay shapers. Also I use vasaline rather than spit as it helps in getting a smooth finish.

Simpo posted:

That hellpit loooks awesome, my only crit is that the muscles on the left leg look a bit 'drawn on'

Yea I agree with you here, the picture makes it look even flatter than IRL but it is easily the worst part of the model. Hopefully I can fix it in painting.

Oh also, it is not a hellpit but rather a great pox rat. That is a 40x40mm base under it, so it may be a bit smaller than you guys are thinking.

Simpo
May 1, 2008
^^ Hah

Anyway, speaking of sculpting, I've been playing around with super sculpey recently, and here are the results so far:

also, goons: suggest me some details to add to this guy!

thoughts?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Add scars, maybe a little more armor (unless it's a savage orc).

Comedy option: giant dong.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Do any of you know what Ziterdes Dead Earth paste actually is ? I'm fairly sure the primer is just PVA glue, but I can't identify what the earth stuff is. It's a tub of thick off white paste which dries with crackes in it. The thicker the paste the bigger the cracks.

I assume it's a common household/DIY material that's been massively marked up.

spikedog
Sep 11, 2011

Simpo posted:

^^ Hah

Anyway, speaking of sculpting, I've been playing around with super sculpey recently, and here are the results so far:

thoughts?

Looks good so far, I say some details around his belt/sash. Maybe pouches, weapons, chains, severed limbs, heads, bones etc.

Also maybe some arms and a head would help. :downs:

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
What size are the masks for the Dark Eldar talos pain engine? Will they fit on a standard sized mini well? I've never seen the actual model.

Also, would it be too busy to base Grey Knights as if they're on a world slipping into chaos/the warp? So the terrain itself is coming alive, and each model is fighting partially materialized daemons and living terrain?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Some things I painted:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Really dig that jack, man. The rust/weathering looks wicked.

Simpo
May 1, 2008

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Do any of you know what Ziterdes Dead Earth paste actually is ? I'm fairly sure the primer is just PVA glue, but I can't identify what the earth stuff is. It's a tub of thick off white paste which dries with crackes in it. The thicker the paste the bigger the cracks.

you could do this: http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2009/11/tutorial-making-base-with-dry-desert.html

Their putty looks like air-dry clay.

not sure how well a plastic base would hold up though.

My guess is that the dead earth paste is probably some sort of plaster based gap filler stuff, I forget the names of any brands though

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The description sounds like slightly dry joint compound.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Recursive Expanse posted:

What size are the masks for the Dark Eldar talos pain engine? Will they fit on a standard sized mini well? I've never seen the actual model.

Also, would it be too busy to base Grey Knights as if they're on a world slipping into chaos/the warp? So the terrain itself is coming alive, and each model is fighting partially materialized daemons and living terrain?

It would probably be a bit much to put a daemon on each base along with the knight, but having screaming faces in the purple mud and twisted limbs popping out of the ground would be pretty effective.

Maybe have one or two guys semi-engulfed, or the footsteps consecrating the ground... You can go crazy with detail with this.

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 13, 2011

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Simpo posted:

^^ Hah

thoughts?

I think it could use some arms, a head and some feet.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

My first ever painted model (except the base cause I still haven't decided what I'm going to do for bases). I'm not completely happy with it but its reached the point where I don't think I'll get much improvement if I keep trying to make this model better and I should instead start on the next one. Anyone got any criticism or suggestions for things I should do differently in future?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

This thread has been slow since I was last here, so have some pics of my Skorne that I painted over 3 nights last week:

I still don't know if I assembled the Cyclops' arms correctly, they were a huge pain and I had to gently caress around a heap to get them to fit and added a chaos knight shoulderpad to fill the gap, I just couldn't tell what arm was which.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I hope 3 nights means 3 full nights without sleep, painting from dusk till dawn.

Like the contrast between the bases and models. Looking good.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Single greatest waste of talent in this thread, etc.

In all seriousness, these look good: teal goes with Skorne for some reason.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

sassassin posted:

I hope 3 nights means 3 full nights without sleep, painting from dusk till dawn.

Like the contrast between the bases and models. Looking good.

I work night shift at a big hotel and have nothing better to do. Most of it was done there and one night at home.

Thanks for the kind comments. Teal really does rock when it comes to Skorne. Waargh on WAU had a pretty cool looking teal skorne IIRC, I think he used purple as the secondary colour.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Please bear with me as I havn't even looked at GW stuff since I was about 11/12.

I never really got into the whole palying thing, partly because I only had a couple of people who knew what the gently caress was going on and mostly because I wanted to play as EVERYONE and could never decide on one codex/chapter/whatever.
I suck balls at painting (at least I did when I was 12... not too bad anymore but nothing in comparison to thread) so also keep that in mind.

Basically I loving love 'scenes'; videography, photography, dioramas, movie sets, video game cutscenes etc. Part of my original interest in GW minatures.
Now I have spare money and time, I'd like to build some sweet-rear end dioramas that I can put in a display cabinet and take photos of (it's so nerdy but hell I suck at CGI and don't have enough time to travel and make videos, it would be my only creative outlet :().

My question is- where would be the best place to start? I'm not confident enough in painting to go with the more intricate models like Chaos, or organic like Tyranids. I will obviously be getting poo poo tons of Space Marine chapters because MEMORIES and I love the 'personality' traits each chapter has, which would be fun to replicate in the dioramas.
I guess city-based taerrain is the easiest to start with, both to obtain and to paint/model. I can do jungle and desert if I'm feeling brave at a later point. I'm just not sure which 'opposing' armies to go with. Dark Eldar? Some kind of Heretic rebellion made up of mutants and turned guardsmen?

Also I assume Forge World stuff is horrendously expensive? At least it used to be... I really like having those 'centrepieces' that you can build a whole scene around, like a downed Thunderhawk or a Reaper getting boarded.

fe; welp I guess I can still rant about W40K

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 14, 2011

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Big Willy Style posted:

I think it could use some arms, a head and some feet.

Racist.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Gargh why is sculpting so hard I couldnt even make a wall or cobblestones

Ffffffffff..... /wrist with clap shaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr_Happy_Pants
Jan 21, 2006
A little more progress on Dominar Rasheth:

• Locked thread