Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

You know for some reason, I never remember the Emperor looking that bad in RotS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Just finished a re-read of the Hand of Thrawn duology. Basically, gently caress the rest of the EU.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Thought I'd try my hand at a tumblr or whatever they are called.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

Sebulba is in the Jabba's palace scene now, isn't he?

I'm afraid so...

Or, at least some Dug has been added. He's on the left there, by the stairs.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I'm afraid so...

Or, at least some Dug has been added. He's on the left there, by the stairs.

Was an existing shot modified to include this new guy or was it created entirely to shoehorn the new guy in? I'm just wondering what the focus of this shot is, is all. Like what could the purpose of it actually be other than 'Jabbas palace also has this guy in it, isn't he neat?'

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Zellus posted:

I would be fine with the ROTS make-up if he actually had a neck and didn't look like he suddenly gained 200 lbs. The guy looks huge in some shots.

It's the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

spanky the dolphin posted:

Was an existing shot modified to include this new guy or was it created entirely to shoehorn the new guy in? I'm just wondering what the focus of this shot is, is all. Like what could the purpose of it actually be other than 'Jabbas palace also has this guy in it, isn't he neat?'

It's an existing shot. Here's how it looked in the 2004 DVD:

It's from right before Luke comes in.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

:laffo: I just ran across this:

edit: Oh, gently caress, this thing was also posted in the SW Photoshop thread an hour ago. Even better if it's goon-made. :)

Zat fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 12, 2011

Aciid c0d3r
Jun 21, 2008
"Shouldn't you be out mowing the lawn, or spending time with your wife?"
\
:backtowork:
I always knew Princess Leia lied about Alderaan having no weapons.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Picked up the original Star Wars Technical journals, the ones put out by starlog for three bucks a piece.
They're pretty cool, I like the Star Trek versions better because everything seems much more thought out but for something to stare at while I go to the bathroom they get my recommendation.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Awesome Andy posted:

Picked up the original Star Wars Technical journals, the ones put out by starlog for three bucks a piece.
They're pretty cool, I like the Star Trek versions better because everything seems much more thought out but for something to stare at while I go to the bathroom they get my recommendation.

Weren't the Star Trek scripts just "Mr. Scot, tech the tech to the tech tech deck." before they sent it off to some guy that knew sciencey words?

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
The blueprints were alot more intricate in Trek and it seemed like if I had the materials I could build a phaser or tricorder.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Aciid c0d3r posted:

I always knew Princess Leia lied about Alderaan having no weapons.

I remember reading a thread on theforce.net that had people unironically trying to justify the Empire's destruction of Alderan...:suicide:

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
So... George Lucas "fixed" Han Solo shooting first... why didn't he change Princess Leia into stunning the Stormtrooper since they had only set their weapons to stun?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I remember reading a thread on theforce.net that had people unironically trying to justify the Empire's destruction of Alderan...:suicide:

Theforce.net has people unironically arguing for decades that Luke is Jesus. And so is Anakin.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Does that make Jawas or Hutts the Space-Jews?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Razorwired posted:

Watto.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Razorwired posted:

Boba Fett.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Razorwired posted:

The Dune universe actually has space-Jews. I don't know if that's more ridiculous than Darth Lighsaber-Knees, but it's got to be close.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

Theforce.net has people unironically arguing for decades that Luke is Jesus. And so is Anakin.

The lead Mandalorian-defender on Theforce.net used to go into big diatribes about why fascism was a good thing and why the Catholic Church should still control society.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zat posted:

:laffo: I just ran across this:

edit: Oh, gently caress, this thing was also posted in the SW Photoshop thread an hour ago. Even better if it's goon-made. :)

Around 2004-2005 there was a great Photoshop Phriday where the theme was Star Wars photoshops. Someone did a series where every time Han shot something a laser blast came out of it first, including the com panel in the detention block.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

muscles like this? posted:

Around 2004-2005 there was a great Photoshop Phriday where the theme was Star Wars photoshops. Someone did a series where every time Han shot something a laser blast came out of it first, including the com panel in the detention block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajFd_Tf7D1M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4D00nSAmD4&feature=related

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Chairman Capone posted:

The lead Mandalorian-defender on Theforce.net used to go into big diatribes about why fascism was a good thing and why the Catholic Church should still control society.

He's right.

Devotions to ancient religions are good thing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh awesome, Blue Milk Special just finished doing The Battle Of Hoth. Did he ever say he'd do the prequals after the OT?

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

muscles like this? posted:

I remember that and I'm going to find it.

edit: Not what I was looking for, but I like it:

Nope.

Hey, I remember these:

No.

Yesssss! I love this one.

Not photoshops, but still great.

No.

It's late so I'm calling it a night.

that awful man fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 13, 2011

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
So wait as a total idiot to the EU what's heir to the empire and what's the big deal about it?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Jefferoo posted:

So wait as a total idiot to the EU what's heir to the empire and what's the big deal about it?

The start of a trilogy that's basically considered the best of the EU. Also it came out before anything else and thus requires zero knowledge of the setting outside the movies.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jefferoo posted:

To expand, it was basically the first official post-RotJ product, written by a respected sci-fi author that kept the "Star Wars" mythos intact while introducing new characters, including one of the great villains, Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ZeeToo posted:

The start of a trilogy that's basically considered the best of the EU. Also it came out before anything else and thus requires zero knowledge of the setting outside the movies.

The Thrawn trilogy is pretty good, but it planted the seeds for a lot of the EU garbage. Like having characters that were clones (Luuuuuuuke), characters that were retroactively inserted into movie events and Jedi overload (Mara), items that were earth stuff but not quite (hot caff).

They are good books, but I haven't read them since I was 12. I wonder how they hold up now.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CobiWann posted:

To expand, it was basically the first official post-RotJ product, written by a respected sci-fi author that kept the "Star Wars" mythos intact while introducing new characters, including one of the great villains, Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Also, Lucas has credited it with being what kept Star Wars hype alive in the 90's, and was the reason he was able to make the prequels...so kind of a mixed bag, really.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The ROTS novelization was ok-to-great so I'm satisfied with that. Ignoring the existence of all 3 movies, anyway.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The Thrawn trilogy is pretty good, but it planted the seeds for a lot of the EU garbage. Like having characters that were clones (Luuuuuuuke), characters that were retroactively inserted into movie events and Jedi overload (Mara), items that were earth stuff but not quite (hot caff).

They are good books, but I haven't read them since I was 12. I wonder how they hold up now.

I'd say they hold up pretty well. It's interesting to re-read them now, after all the EU crap that's come out to see just how much stuff Timothy Zahn came up with (well, him and West End Games). Lucasarts discarded the hyperdrive classifications he came up with too, so some parts of his book are actually "wrong". Still, if you read the book after having been abused by other EU material, it's a different perspective that helps you appreciate it more.

In the anniversary edition, he actually has a bit of commentary on the reactions he got for putting hot chocolate in the book too :3: Also interesting is that he wasn't allowed to use 'Sith' in the book at all, he had to settle for 'Dark Jedi'.

Also, obligatory :spergin: reaction to a post above that mentioned Thrawn being one of the greatest villains of all time: he was one of the greatest characters of all time, who says he was a villain? :downs:

(and cue :can:)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

movax posted:

Also, obligatory :spergin: reaction to a post above that mentioned Thrawn being one of the greatest villains of all time: he was one of the greatest characters of all time, who says he was a villain? :downs:

(and cue :can:)

Well I certainly don't see a problem with that stance.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I remember as a kid having a set of books that each had three Star Wars EU novels in them. I don't remember much but it had the son of the emperor who had a third eye and eventually ended up in carbanoate, Luke now had a Y-Wing, Lando loses Cloud City to another Hutt. I don't remember any of the titles to these books though.

Edit: Oh, and I think they were exclusive Barns and Nobel books.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

BigRed0427 posted:

I remember as a kid having a set of books that each had three Star Wars EU novels in them. I don't remember much but it had the son of the emperor who had a third eye and eventually ended up in carbanoate, Luke now had a Y-Wing, Lando loses Cloud City to another Hutt. I don't remember any of the titles to these books though.

The Jedi Prince books! Lando loses Cloud City to Jabba's dad!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BigRed0427 posted:

Welcome to the suck.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Haha, ah the Jedi Prince Series. Thrawn above did a brilliant Lets Read of them, is that thread still posted in or has it been archived yet?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

SeanBeansShako posted:

Haha, ah the Jedi Prince Series. Thrawn above did a brilliant Lets Read of them, is that thread still posted in or has it been archived yet?

I'm not sure if it's archived or not, but I linked it above your post. I have archives, so I can't tell. It's not really posted in anymore. But thanks for thinking my Let's Read was brilliant! I think it broke my love of reading.

edit: Well, I guess it's not archived, since you just posted in it.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 13, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well, I check and it isn't archived yet but I post in it to give it more time. I really got my fingers crossed we'll have some more contributions soon as some of the best stuff may have been covered but there are still a few terrible chunks of the EU to pluge into yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

arioch posted:

The ROTS novelization was ok-to-great so I'm satisfied with that. Ignoring the existence of all 3 movies, anyway.

Personally I think the ROTS novelization is a bit overrated. I mean, it's good, but it just gets so much insane hype. I think Traitor and Shatterpoint are both better Matt Stover Star Wars books.