Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Heel to toe only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
There was a Div 4 game between our doubleheader games yesterday so I watched it. Like half the guys had some sort of strange colored tape on their sticks. I remember one pink, a few green, a lot of yellow (to go with one team's sweaters) and one fat guy who had Canadian flag tape.

Also I broke my 52 Cal on a one timer on Thursday night and that made me sad. :(

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah I was stumped too, but I'm guessing it was cracked from something else. Funny thing was that on my next shift, I used my backup cheap-o stiff-as-gently caress X:20 and scored 2 goals in 60 seconds. One was a top-shelf backhander with a pitching-wedge Backstrom blade. I've never lifted a backhand with that blade. Ever. Go figure.

I love my X:20 two piece. I finally tried X:20 composite blade with it after using crappy ABS blades (we used to play outdoor...) Holy poo poo what a difference. I couldn't imagine the stick would feel much different but its more balanced and there isn't any blade flex. The durability of it is my only concern.

How many hockey goons are using 2 piece stick setups?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Ok, was just looking around Hockey Monkey for a new stick and saw these up for pre-order:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-stealth-rs-sticks.html

Totally matches my bumblebee tape job and gloves!
Man that is a loving gorgeous looking stick, too bad it's $250 which means I'll never ever own one.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Ok, was just looking around Hockey Monkey for a new stick and saw these up for pre-order:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-stealth-rs-sticks.html

Totally matches my bumblebee tape job and gloves!

I like that design way better than the normal "multicolored lines and silveryness all over". I wish more companies would do solid colors or matte black with some logos

Also, am I missing something or is making a 2-piece x:20 a fair bit more expensive than a one-piece?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

lazerwolf posted:

How many hockey goons are using 2 piece stick setups?

I use a 2-piece. I can't bring myself to buy a one piece because I know I'll crack the blade 2 games later.

Plus, I like being able to switch blade patterns without buying a whole new stick.

bewbies posted:

Also I broke my 52 Cal on a one timer on Thursday night and that made me sad. :(

The brand new one????

Thufir posted:

I like that design way better than the normal "multicolored lines and silveryness all over". I wish more companies would do solid colors or matte black with some logos

No kidding, I think that stick looks gorgeous.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 12, 2011

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
^^^ I thought your total one pic looked like a 2-piece

Thufir posted:

Also, am I missing something or is making a 2-piece x:20 a fair bit more expensive than a one-piece?

54 for the stick and 35 for the blade if I remember correctly compared to 70 for the one piece but hopefully I only have to replace the blade if it breaks rather than the whole stick.

I've used these shafts for the past year playing like once or twice a week on average and I've only broken the ABS blades

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

I use a 2-piece. I can't bring myself to buy a one piece because I know I'll crack the blade 2 games later.

You can always put a new blade in the broke shaft, you know. Either flip the stick (yes, now it's backwards) or cut it high enough that the taper is gone, then put in a regular blade. If you need to cut too much off, slap an extension into the other end, it won't take much abuse so just make whatever adjustments to the extension you need to to make it fit.

I thought 1-pieces were garbage until I started doing this, I've never had a problem with it.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

Tape chat: Bud and I were talking at lunch recently about the effect of taping from toe-to-heel or heel-to-toe.

Does anyone think it matters? There's guys out there that are convinced the direction of the winding effects puck stability when shooting: if you tape from heel-to-toe it gets more spin and flies better, and toe-to-heel it's a little more unpredictable. Theory being, the puck hitting the edges of the tape effects how it travels. There's also chatter about the overlap between winds of tape effecting shots, and how taping toe-to-heel supposedly wears the tape out more quickly.

While I'm sure the effect is non-zero, we both had doubts that it was a significant enough of a difference to change the outcome of a shot. Since we're computer nerds we talked about how one would go about modeling it on a computer. Neither of us are materials experts so it never got farther than that, but I've been curious about it ever since.

I figured it fit in well enough with "what color tape do you like" that I'd bring it up here.

Doesn't matter because you wax your stick as well...right?

right?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

gently caress me I might have actually found a team to play with this winter and I am so woefully out of shape I almost feel ashamed to sign up. God I hope they're not too good (I also hope they don't suck).

I haven't laced up in over a year, my poo poo has been sitting in storage all this time. I cleaned it before it went in but I have a feeling it's going to need it again, plus a new mask and stick and ahhh hockey is expensive but I am so excited.

Toe to heel, black tape, wax and smooth with paper towel snipe corners every day :hellyeah:

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I have always used black, and have been taping toe to heel for a while, but was heel to toe when I first started. I'll try out some white tape tonight for science! :pseudo:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Tape chat: Bud and I were talking at lunch recently about the effect of taping from toe-to-heel or heel-to-toe.

Does anyone think it matters? There's guys out there that are convinced the direction of the winding effects puck stability when shooting: if you tape from heel-to-toe it gets more spin and flies better, and toe-to-heel it's a little more unpredictable. Theory being, the puck hitting the edges of the tape effects how it travels. There's also chatter about the overlap between winds of tape effecting shots, and how taping toe-to-heel supposedly wears the tape out more quickly.

While I'm sure the effect is non-zero, we both had doubts that it was a significant enough of a difference to change the outcome of a shot. Since we're computer nerds we talked about how one would go about modeling it on a computer. Neither of us are materials experts so it never got farther than that, but I've been curious about it ever since.

I figured it fit in well enough with "what color tape do you like" that I'd bring it up here.

I find it extremely unlikely that there is a statistically significant difference. taping heel to toe causes the puck to go up the ridges on the stick to generate spin on a shot, whereas taping toe to heel causes it to go down those ridges. You're creating more friction when it goes up the ridges, but it's extremely small, particularly if you're waxing your stick as well. I don't think that this small difference in the friction generated would impact your shot much at all.

:science:

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.
None of you can play hockey, I assure you stick tape doesn't matter enough to be thinking about it this much. Or at all.

There are literally a million other things that you should be thinking about in terms of improving at hockey before which direction you tape your stick should even enter into your consciousness.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's more of a trivia thing than a worry.

For example, it's been proven that the lacing on a baseball effects its flight path. Golf ball dimples have a measurable effect on distance. I was just curious if hockey had an equivalent.

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Here is the only true fact about stick tape direction: it has nothing to do with the spin it does or does not impart on the puck.

It does however matter in that a toe-to-heel taped stick will fray more quickly due to the overlap going against the direction of your stick movement while skating. you will notice that the tape pulls away from the blade and picks up ice and water.

If, however, you tape from heel-to-toe, the tape overlap prevents water and ice accumulation under the tape while skating, hence leading to a tape job that lasts longer and doesn't fray and peel.

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

This is the gooniest hockey chat I have ever seen.

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Picture the scales overlapping on a snake. That is what your tape should be like on your blade. It doesn't make much sense going the other direction, does it?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Woah. Gear down there, big shifter. Pretty sure this conversation's all just for shits and giggles.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.
God drat getting your stick slashed out of your hands hurts. Who the gently caress slashes that hard in a rec league?

(I suppose the good news is he didn't manage to break my stick in the process?)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It took a while, but the thread now has 'that guy'

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

White tape trip report, scored 75 goals. Actually I felt pretty good in warm-ups. Felt like I had some pretty good control going, but I'm not sure the tape had a lot to do with it. As for pickup it was horrid. Some how Im getting worse, Im in a huge slump lately. I couldn't make a play at all, and kept turning over the puck. Then I got the puck in the O zone and just about froze like a deer in head lights and didn't know what to do. Then I got irritated and pissed off and had no fun. I was so looking forward to playing I skipped Monday night football.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I'm using black tape with the red dot sight. I have a million goals.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

sellouts posted:

yessssssssssss

Third Edition
Nov 25, 2008
Does anyone here smoke regularly during the season? I had my first game a few days ago and I was completely gassed by the first period. Part of that was that I was out of position and had to hustle to get back a few times. Will I get used to the pace in a couple of games or is it time to get rid of the coffin nails?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
What do you drink before/during/after a game? I find myself dehydrated for most the next day after games.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Third Edition posted:

Does anyone here smoke regularly during the season? I had my first game a few days ago and I was completely gassed by the first period. Part of that was that I was out of position and had to hustle to get back a few times. Will I get used to the pace in a couple of games or is it time to get rid of the coffin nails?

I've been an on and off smoker and generally things are shittier when I've been smoking.

It's worst at the beginning of a season, or if I've not been smoking for a while and go nuts on the weekend or something and have a game a few days after. The one season where I smoked the whole time it wasn't too bad after a few games, but it was still kinda sucky.

I'm hoping to do better this year. So far so good...

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

What do you drink before/during/after a game? I find myself dehydrated for most the next day after games.

Before: Lots of water. I actually drink 24 oz. driving over to Sharks Ice
During: Gatorade or water
After: Beer.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Sexy Randal posted:

I'm using black tape with the red dot sight. I have a million goals.

:laffo: :golfclap:

Third Edition posted:

No, but I played on a team of guys from Tinker Air Force Base who almost all smoked. I was on the team because they needed an extra player one season, they sucked, I was in a lower league because I was 16 but really good at roller hockey I tell ya, so the league director moved me up to play with the "big boys". Well, the ones that smoked were across the board dying at the end of the period. It was pathetic. That is where my problem solving skills and caving to peer pressure came in. I am asthmatic and always brought by inhaler to games, not because of pending asthma attacks but just because my lowered lung capacity had me breathing like a smoker. So it helped my not heave for an hour straight. Once the guys started seeing me use it on the bench they told me they use one during PT sometimes to help them out. So naturally, here I am letting them use every game. Yep, as a 16 year old I was supplying PEDs to members of the Air Force :patriot:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Third Edition posted:

I used to smoke about a half a pack a day, maybe a couple of packs on the weekends. Best single thing I ever did to improve my game was quit smoking. It was seriously a night and day difference.

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

Woah. Gear down there, big shifter. Pretty sure this conversation's all just for shits and giggles.

I'm sorry, I was in a bad mood and am very passionate about stick tape.

Slashers are awful and having a stick chopped completely in half while in your hands is even worse. In my experience the slashers are always older men who are in repressive marriages and have no other outlet for their anger and aggression than to break my hockey stick during a game of hockey.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

WouldDesk posted:

:laffo: :golfclap:

No, but I played on a team of guys from Tinker Air Force Base who almost all smoked. I was on the team because they needed an extra player one season, they sucked, I was in a lower league because I was 16 but really good at roller hockey I tell ya, so the league director moved me up to play with the "big boys". Well, the ones that smoked were across the board dying at the end of the period. It was pathetic. That is where my problem solving skills and caving to peer pressure came in. I am asthmatic and always brought by inhaler to games, not because of pending asthma attacks but just because my lowered lung capacity had me breathing like a smoker. So it helped my not heave for an hour straight. Once the guys started seeing me use it on the bench they told me they use one during PT sometimes to help them out. So naturally, here I am letting them use every game. Yep, as a 16 year old I was supplying PEDs to members of the Air Force :patriot:

Every team I've ever played on before beer league always had "that guy with the puffer." Usually a third liner, on teams with 3 lines, maybe with a couple of spares, and he would always hook the team up. Yeah. Even back in peewee, so 13-14.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

Quiet you, we need to be told what's what.

Also do you know what hurts more than having your stick slashed out of your hand? Having your buddy try and slash your stick out of your hand during warmups for some reason but failing, then later breaking said stick right where he slashed it.

I'm still kind of pissed about this and it has been almost a week.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

poser posted:

I chug ice water pretty much nonstop.. it works okay. I get a bit dehydrated after hockey, but by around lunch the next day everything's back to normal (testing procedure: my piss is clear again).

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I chug water the whole game and then drink some cytomax after and usually I'm ok the next day. I also try to drink a lot of water in the hours leading up to the game. I have no idea how some guys on my team can go through a game without drinking any water, I'm pretty much incredibly thirsty from my first shift on.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hey we just found out a local oilgas conglomo corp will be sponsoring our team this fall. Owns.

Rumor has it we're actually going to get sweaters instead of being "dark"

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
Extensive experimentation has led me to develop the following beer-before-hockey chart:

1-2 beers = nausea
3-7 beers = the sweet spot
7+ beers = wake up with injuries you don't remember sustaining

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Either water or half water half gatorade mix during games. I usually try to hydrate myself a lot during the hours before games. After games the rest of the water. I also like to drink ~2 glasses of Chocolate milk.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

I used to smoke about a half a pack a day, maybe a couple of packs on the weekends. Best single thing I ever did to improve my game was quit smoking. It was seriously a night and day difference.
Same here. I quit last June, and sure I have a lot more endurance (night and day, like you said), but man is it awesome not feeling the need to blow my nose every few seconds.

Thufir posted:

I'm absolutely positive that my shot is bad enough that the tape makes no difference at all.

That said, I start at the heel, tape up to the toe, and then go back to the heel for a double layer of tape.
Not sure why I've never thought of doing it, but I'm gonna try a double layer of tape next time. I usually just tape a strip on the bottom of the blade then tape over it. #tapechat

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

lazerwolf posted:

Either water or half water half gatorade mix during games. I usually try to hydrate myself a lot during the hours before games. After games the rest of the water. I also like to drink ~2 glasses of Chocolate milk.

This is kind of like what I do. Protein and some carbs really help you recover from hockey. Lots of water before the game, gatorade G series during and chocolate milk/big meal afterwards to supplement your body with enough energy to recover. I find pizza and beer help best with this :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I know this was discussed but I can't find it in the thread. I have a problem with sweat just getting all up in my eyes while I play. My goalie mask has like this sweatband in it but my regular helmet does not. Do most of you guys just wear like a bandana when you have this issue? I was looking into the Underarmour one do any of you use it?