Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Started on Taggart and it's pretty good so far! Though I have to say, it has easily the worst credits sequence of any show I've seen thus far. Showing its age, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

thepopstalinist posted:

Started on Taggart and it's pretty good so far! Though I have to say, it has easily the worst credits sequence of any show I've seen thus far. Showing its age, I guess.
Don't remember what the early credits looked like but the theme is bad rear end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjV88-LLn_k

Classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-SLLOqp1zo

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
^ Ohh poo poo, Scotch and Wry. Some of the finest comedy ever.

Yeah the Taggart theme is loving classic.

Did anyone watch that Fred West thing? I thought it was pretty good. It was kinda creepy how much Dominic West resembled him at times.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

thepopstalinist posted:

Started on Taggart and it's pretty good so far!

There's been a... Murrrr-duh!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
If only Robbie Coltrane wasn't such a creepy, pervy gently caress.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Wait really? That's a shame.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

thepopstalinist posted:

Every year or two I catch the British TV Drama bug, and my favorite strain has always been UK "cop on the edge" shows, thrillers and (to a lesser degree) profiler procedurals. For whatever reason we across the pond rarely do them as well.

Thing is, I need a new fix but it feels like I've exhausted the stores. Cracker, Prime Suspect, Luther, The Shadow Line, Touching Evil, Wire in the Blood, even a few seasons of MI:5 (those in order of enjoyment). I need something new.

Also it's been fun watching all these shows and playing "spot the familiar character actor".

Have you seen the original Edge of Darkness?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Added to the list!

Porphyrogenitos
Jun 3, 2011
Anyone seen the channel 4 series Ultraviolet with Jack Davenport and Idris Elba before? Getting some good conspiracy vibes off it at the moment. It's like Torchwood if it followed its original MO of being a "British X-Files" rather than gay alien sex-romp.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Porphyrogenitos posted:

Anyone seen the channel 4 series Ultraviolet with Jack Davenport and Idris Elba before? Getting some good conspiracy vibes off it at the moment. It's like Torchwood if it followed its original MO of being a "British X-Files" rather than gay alien sex-romp.

I liked it, haven't seen it in years though. Thinking about it now, it definitely would have been a better model for Torchwood than the poo poo we got.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is that the one where they hunt vampires with wooden tipped bullets?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

And gas grenades based on garlic, and the guns have camera/mirror setups so they can ID vampires from a distance, etc.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

goatface posted:

Is that the one where they hunt vampires with wooden tipped bullets?

Now now, they're not vampires, they're Code Fives. :drac:

Also, their handling of the school episode was pretty good, if I remember rightly.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Porphyrogenitos posted:

Haven't seen that since it was first on in 98. Had completely forgotten Idris Elba was in it. Going to have to look it out again now.

IIRC it's really rather good, although bits of it seem a bit gimmicky.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Cerv posted:

Haven't seen that since it was first on in 98. Had completely forgotten Idris Elba was in it. Going to have to look it out again now.

IIRC it's really rather good, although bits of it seem a bit gimmicky.

Whole lot's up on 4oD.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

thepopstalinist posted:

Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was pretty good and proceduralesque. Plus the film version is coming out sometime soon so there's always that.

There's also Red Riding and perhaps The Sweeney. As for films you might like The Long Good Friday, Scum, Gangster Number One and Get Carter, although these are more about criminals than cops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D99O6oTJVHo

justcola fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 11, 2011

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

thepopstalinist posted:

Wait really? That's a shame.

Yeah. He was at a reading of a play in Glasgow that my sister and her friend were helping to run where he was doing some performance. He had trouble speaking to their faces and he is now known to all as "Shagrid."

edit - Sue Perkins is a bit of a bitch too.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Sion posted:

edit - Sue Perkins is a bit of a bitch too.

nooooo you can't do this to me stop it

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Wormophile posted:

nooooo you can't do this to me stop it

Might have been a bad day or something but she is pretty dang rude.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Bobby Coltrane was Cracker anyway, not Taggart!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Leyburn posted:

Bobby Coltrane was Cracker anyway, not Taggart!

An incorrect aspect ratio isn't kind to the big man, I must say.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

thepopstalinist posted:

Every year or two I catch the British TV Drama bug, and my favorite strain has always been UK "cop on the edge" shows, thrillers and (to a lesser degree) profiler procedurals. For whatever reason we across the pond rarely do them as well.

Thing is, I need a new fix but it feels like I've exhausted the stores. Cracker, Prime Suspect, Luther, The Shadow Line, Touching Evil, Wire in the Blood, even a few seasons of MI:5 (those in order of enjoyment). I need something new.

Also it's been fun watching all these shows and playing "spot the familiar character actor".

You could look for Mark Billingham's Thorne on Sky One starring David Morrissey.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

HoldYourFire posted:

You could look for Mark Billingham's Thorne on Sky One starring David Morrissey.

And if you like that then you might want to watch Maid Marian and her Merry Men, not only because it's a bit of a weird start for a crime writer, but also because everybody should watch it anyway.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

HoldYourFire posted:

Or you could just reads the books since Thorne was pretty poo poo. Let's make it super gritty and have everyone be miserable all the time, that's fun to watch!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Apparently the latest series of Curb Your Enthusiasm is on next week and I thought people would want to know. More4 on the 18th I think around 11?

And there's a new series of An Idiot Abroad soon, isn't there? Looking forward to that too.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

McDragon posted:

Apparently the latest series of Curb Your Enthusiasm is on next week and I thought people would want to know. More4 on the 18th I think around 11?

Thanks for that, I would have assumed it would have gone straight to Sky Atlantic.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just gonna drop a quick post here to recruit for a site I've written up that we've mainly talked about in the TV Couch Chat thread.

Main info is here , but to summarise well basically be running reviews of TV shows from the past couple of days, with a new edition each day. The feeds I use are pretty good for UK shows, so most things that are airing will be available for review.

If anyone here is interested in signing up, click the link which gives a breakdown and some images as well as provides the sign up link. Cheers!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The pHo posted:

Just gonna drop a quick post here to recruit for a site I've written up that we've mainly talked about in the TV Couch Chat thread.

Hey now, I've already got all your sub-quality UK digital channels covered :smith:

edit: vvv Agreed, just wanna make it clear this was just a joke. All you people should sign up right now!

Rarity fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 12, 2011

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

But there's so much crap to share!

I'm looking forward to writing up that Lee Nelson thing. No really.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

The pHo posted:

I'm looking forward to writing up that Lee Nelson thing. No really.

I like to imagine that fella going into a room after filming that show, locking the door and crying his eyes out and punching himself in the face mercilessly in guilt and shame. And if he doesn't there must be something wrong with his head.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Has anyone who wasn't shown first or last in the episode ever got a deal on Dragon's Den?

I'm quite enjoying this series of Shooting Stars. Every series since it's return seemed to start off strong and quickly turn poo poo, but this one is the first consistent series since the classic run in my opinion.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
I like shooting stars, but the way that Angelos hyperextends his fingers when gesticulating is really starting to affect my mental health and wellbeing.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So BBC are showing some teasers for The Fades. It's on BBC3 but based on this, it looks like it might not be poo poo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2011/03_march/29/fades.shtml

quote:

Jack Thorne says: "The Fades was born from a trip into executive producer, Sue Hogg's office – she asked me what drama of the last ten years I wished I'd written – I said the American cable show Freaks & Geeks – I was wearing a Ghostbusters t-shirt, she said 'what about Freaks & Geeks meets Ghostbusters'. And I smiled and nodded enthusiastically.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

The pHo posted:

This sounds amazing, I'm in.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Freaks and Geeks was on NBC, not cable. I don't trust this guy ;)

Reality: awesome :) I can see three people on the sign up queue, as soon as I can get to a real computer, I'll process the logins and get you on the mailouts etc. Welcome aboard!

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Kerbtree posted:

Whole lot's up on 4oD.
Awesome cheers!

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

So, is anybody planning on watching This is Jinty? From the trailers it looks a bit like Little Britain taking place on Balamory or Craggy Island, and it's main selling point seems to be that David Tennant's in it, so I'm not quite sure what to think yet. I'm not exactly hoping for much, though. Sky One's only other new original comedy program (Trollied) is just okay.

sex pervert posted:

I like to imagine that fella going into a room after filming that show, locking the door and crying his eyes out and punching himself in the face mercilessly in guilt and shame. And if he doesn't there must be something wrong with his head.

I actually have little against Lee Nelson from the two episodes I've seen. He's not hilarious, and he'd probably have been funnier if he had been created before Ali G or Devvo, but there's something almost strangely charming about his gleeful, cheery, almost innocent attitude to being an antisocial piece of poo poo.

The pHo posted:

Main info is here , but to summarise well basically be running reviews of TV shows from the past couple of days, with a new edition each day. The feeds I use are pretty good for UK shows, so most things that are airing will be available for review.

If anyone here is interested in signing up, click the link which gives a breakdown and some images as well as provides the sign up link. Cheers!

This could be interesting. I've been considering doing some writing of late, but the world doesn't need yet another blog about videogames, so I sort of shelved that. Do writers need to go using their real identities?

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 13, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Is it weirdly true that Lee Nelson is related to that fellow ontop of a certain column or is that just a silly joke?

Also, now that they chopped Ideal I don't give a gently caress what happens to BBC3. All I ever see on it now is Family Guy anyways.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Is it weirdly true that Lee Nelson is related to that fellow ontop of a certain column or is that just a silly joke?

Since Lee Nelson is a character portrayed by Simon Brodkin, I'm thinking probably not true.

He performed at my uni a few years back, and I didn't bother going because from the poster, I assumed he was some poo poo DJ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

He was a doctor eh. That's weird as gently caress.