Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Charles Martel posted:

It's a "futuristic" Wolfenstein 3D with additional features such as an automap, the ability to use vending machines, using the main elevator to revisit floors in an episode, additional graphics, etc.

Aliens of Gold has 60 levels in all (6 Episodes, 10 levels each with one being hidden in each episode) and it can be pretty daunting if you're like me and like to 100% every floor (unlike Wolf3D, you can actually track your progress on enemies killed, items found, and secrets found AND it lets you know when you've found all of one thing, something that would've REALLY helped in Wolfy).

If you want a Blake Stone game with even more improved graphics and gameplay, look into Planet Strike, the sequel to Aliens of Gold, which only has around...22 levels? I think?

And everyone should buy ROTT for $2.99, and if you don't already have the Duke Nukem games...what the hell, man?

I remember playing Blake Stone when I was younger and visiting my uncle. He had this super awesome gaming computer (at the time) and he could handle running it. I never did anything other than run around with the "Whoop Whoop" gun and murder everything that moved. So, of course, I put Blake Stone and the expansion on my wish list. Bought it as soon as I saw the sale. The game is a lot harder than I remember, and the yells the enemy give are pretty much the best things ever. See a star guard? Unload at him with an assault weapon and hear him scream "I'm hit!" as he dies.

Do yourself a favor, if you have played and enjoyed any of the other early FPSes you should pick up Blake Stone.

USMC_Karl fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Seconding this.

I'm going to third this. 7 is probably my all time favorite game.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

VisAbsoluta posted:

If I never played an Ultima game (:v:), what would be a good one to begin with?

The earlier back you can start, the better, as you'll have a better appreciation for the back stories of later games. How far back earlier you'll go will depend on your tolerance for old-school mechanics. 1-3 (or maybe even 4) are so plot-light that you can skip them without losing too much, but each is fun in its own way. To break it down:

There's no reason to play Akalabeth as anything more than a historical curiosity as Ultima 1 has everything Akalabeth does with a better interface and way more bells and whistles.

Ultima 1 and 2 are archaic by modern standards, and you're probably not going to finish either without a walkthrough because there's basically no in-game guidance. Still, they can be a good way to waste an afternoon; they're fun in the sense of building up a powerless weakling character into a walking death platform. Plot-wise you can ignore them, as their plot is basically nothing more than "Hero kills evil wizard/sorceress"

Ultima 3 is the first game that still stands up today I think. It's still a generic "Kill the bad guy" plot but you can actually finish the game without a walkthrough, and gameplay is a lot more fleshed out. Playing 3 is good background for 7-2, though by no means necessary. And you get to build a party from scratch, which you can't do in any of the other games.

Ultima 4 and 5 is where the game starts to take off actually having a plot with recurring characters and locations. 5 is stronger on the plot side and IMO is the high point of the series with the best balance between story and gameplay. Ultima 4 is free so you might as well try it and see if you can deal with the older mechanics.

Ultima 6 is as plot-focused as 5 if not more, and has a detailed gameplay system, but its interface is so bad that it's a chore to play, especially the inventory management. If you can stand it, it's worth pushing through it for added context for Ultima 7 though, and it has a neat story involving unintended consequences of "good" things you did in earlier games.

Ultima 7 and 7-2 have the most fleshed-out world and stories of any of the Ultimas, which is probably why they're so popular. They have a ton of cool quests, interesting locations to explore, and NPCs to meet. As an RPG it kind of falls flat on its face though in the game engine department, as its "traditional" RPG elements (character advancement, equipment, combat system, etc) feel almost tacked-on as an afterthought. It's not hard to look past this because the rest of the content is so great, but it's still a big flaw. You'll get a lot more out of the game having played 5 and 6 first in my opinion.

Ultima 8 is weird. It's like an isometric platformer in a lot of ways; back in the day people used to refer to it derogatorily as "Super Avatar Brothers." It has a lot of the same gameplay element problems that 7 did, except without the good plot and fleshed-out world to back it up. Also your "paragon of virtue" all of a sudden starts acting like a colossal dick to everyone, which while amusing, is kind of jarring considering the plot of the past 5 games. It's still enjoyable in its own way IMO, but not nearly as good as its predecessors.

The less said about Ultima 9, the better.

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!

USMC_Karl posted:

The game is a lot harder than I remember, and the yells the enemy give are pretty much the best things ever. See a star guard? Unload at him with an assault weapon and hear him scream "I'm hit!" as he dies.

Seconding both. I bought the games and barely survived the first few guards you encounter. Still think it's hilarious (in a gruesome way) when the standard guards yell "MEDIC!" as they go down with a giant bloody hole in their guts.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

GoG will once again stream one of it's conferences.

The new gameplay modes of The Witcher 2 2.0 will be demoed, aswell as the x360 version.

Also,

quote:

[...] and maybe even hint at some of what’s coming in 2012!

Quite low-key for GoG.

http://www.gog.com/en/news/its_time_for_cd_projekt_fall_2011_conference_and_youre_invited

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Shadowborn posted:

Seconding both. I bought the games and barely survived the first few guards you encounter. Still think it's hilarious (in a gruesome way) when the standard guards yell "MEDIC!" as they go down with a giant bloody hole in their guts.

Yeah that's the one thing I didn't really remember from when I played it. The guards and the assorted bad guys (even the Genetically Altered High Security Guards) yell stuff at you when they see you/die. It's very funny in a gruesome way. I just can't help but laugh at the Star Guards (the ones with the high speed assault rifle) when they are shot though. It should be obvious that your hit when there are a couple giant holes in your body and your fluids are leaking everywhere guys!

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I don't read this thread very often but can someone explain to me why The Witcher 2 is on GoG?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

I don't read this thread very often but can someone explain to me why The Witcher 2 is on GoG?

Because it's a CD Projekt game, and CD Projekt runs GOG.com, more or less.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Heavy neutrino posted:

It's a Good Old Game! CD Projekt, the guys behind Witcher 2, are part of a company who also owns GOG. They wanted to make an experiment where an AAA title would be released completely DRM-free to show the world DRM is unnecessary. Sales-wise, it was mostly successful. As statements go, Ubisoft and EA are still loving people.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Saoshyant posted:

It's a Good Old Game! CD Projekt, the guys behind Witcher 2, are part of a company who also owns GOG. They wanted to make an experiment where an AAA title would be released completely DRM-free to show the world DRM is unnecessary. Sales-wise, it was mostly successful. As statements go, Ubisoft and EA are still loving people.

Moreover they made a good game and made it DRM free. Too often you have to slog through some lovely DRM and general buginess only to get to a game that was rushed out the door and is only half-done at best and will probably never be "done" because no one bought the loving steaming piece of poo poo because it wasn't loving finished in the first place! drat, I sound bitter.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Latest sale, Nordic games are half off, no minimum, or 70 percent off if you get them all.

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/nordic_games

list. Bolds are IMO must-gets, italics are sorta-gets. Just IMO, don't get bent outta shape:

Alien Nations
AquaNox
AquaNox 2: Revelation

Chaser
Dark Fall 2: Lights Out
Dark Fall: The Journal
Gothic 2 Gold Edition
Guild Gold Edition, The
Nations Gold Edition, The
Neighbours From Hell Compilation
Painkiller Black Edition
Panzer Elite Special Edition
Spellforce 2: Dragon Storm
Spellforce 2: Shadow Wars
Spellforce Platinum

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 13, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Did Nordic buy out JoWood? If so, good to know the series have a new home that is fine with GOG and won't hang in publishing rights Limbo for eternity.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Can anyone clue me in on the Aquanox 2 ending? Is it supposed to tie into something else or is it just the worst cliffhanger in video game history?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Can anyone clue me in on the Aquanox 2 ending? Is it supposed to tie into something else or is it just the worst cliffhanger in video game history?

Welp definitely not buying Aquanox 2.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Did Nordic buy out JoWood? If so, good to know the series have a new home that is fine with GOG and won't hang in publishing rights Limbo for eternity.
Yep. It's explained in the front page article - Nordic bought JoWood and GOG signed a new deal with them.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

doctorfrog posted:

Latest sale, Nordic games are half off, no minimum, or 70 percent off if you get them all.

Guild Gold Edition, The

Oh hey, I was thinking of picking up The Guild a few days ago. However while reading one of the reviews I noticed this:

quote:

However, this is a double-edged sword: it's a joy to discover the finer points of the game on your own, but the learning curve is steep and it can be frustrating to try and figure out where everything is. The manual is somewhat helpful with this, but the game only runs full screen; with Alt+Tab disabled and on a single screen setup, it isn't practical to switch between the two.

Does anyone know if the bolded part is true? Not being able to Alt-Tab is honestly pretty much a deal-breaker for me. :(

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

404notfound posted:

So I just remembered that I still have this sitting around in my apartment, so I decided to share :v:

And yes, I did buy the game on GOG as soon as I saw it was released.

Uncut edition? Was there ever a cut version? I'm having a hard time thinking what on earth they would cut. Kilrathi mating cutscenes??

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

beef express posted:

Uncut edition? Was there ever a cut version? I'm having a hard time thinking what on earth they would cut. Kilrathi mating cutscenes??

Back in those days, it could be anything from an exploding installation to a scene where you see murdered scientists.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Does anyone know if the bolded part is true? Not being able to Alt-Tab is honestly pretty much a deal-breaker for me. :(

I think alt-tab doesn't work unless you have another window or program open in the background. I've been able to alt-tab in the game, at least, although you'll need to use CTRL+ALT+DEL to switch out if you don't have anything else currently running in the background (like an open IM chat window or something.

That said, the game will crash after you've alt-tabbed a number of times (10+), so save your game often if you do. In fact, it's a good idea to save often anyway, since the game is a little on the unstable side. It does auto-save at the start of each day, but you can still lose a lot of progress after a long day with lots of actions.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
Any opinions on Dark Falls and Spellforces? I've been waiting for Dark Fall to get a promo as it looks pretty decent so I'm pretty tempted unless it's actually poo poo or something. I remember playing Spellforce demo and liking it well enough but with two games and a standalone expansion I'm not sure which would be the one to get.

I wonder if they will every release Archimedean Dynasty. Apparently Aquanox games aren't as good :(

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Spellforce has horrendous voice-acting in both games and expansions, but from what I can tell, the gameplay is kinda unique and interesting.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Painkiller: Black seems cool. I started playing it on Trauma. My friend has been playing on whatever normal mode is and we were on voice chat while I was playing; we had fun figuring out why there were no health pickups in my game.

Trauma mode gives you no health pickups. Whatever, I'm not switching to some baby difficulty.

edit: The manual says Trauma shouldn't even be available at first, any idea why I was able to choose it?

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 13, 2011

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Trauma mode gives you no health pickups. Whatever, I'm not switching to some baby difficulty.

Do Nightmare next. The demon rage mode is fun and the last chapter (not available on Trauma) is really good.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New release time... Wing Commander III for $6

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

That has a shitload of extras with it. Good for GOG.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

The Kins posted:

Wasn't expecting that, I have fond memories of the 4 CDs containing that FMV goodness. Mark Hamill :allears:

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

The Kins posted:

Oh hell yes. I played Wing Commander IV like a decade ago and never got around to three. This is just the game I wanted.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Jeez, has it really been 17 years since WC3? I still remember the massive dick move that was Hobbes' turning out to have been a traitor all along. I got annoyed at that, as well as that there was no way to save the Behemoth, at all. No matter what you do, that loving ship blows up.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

beef express posted:

Well, the sticker says it is "Valued Price!" It's been a while since I've seen it, but a lot of times, value-priced software would often times mean "an extended demo." Essentially, you would get more gameplay than you would in a shareware version, but it wouldn't be the full game. You would either have to register the game, pay more money, and get a code to unlock the full product, or else the game might be split into two.

So simply, what they are saying is if you buy the game, you are getting the complete product and don't have to worry about that poo poo.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Painkiller: Black seems cool. I started playing it on Trauma. My friend has been playing on whatever normal mode is and we were on voice chat while I was playing; we had fun figuring out why there were no health pickups in my game.
Painkiller Black is the DOOMiest game to date, moreso than Doom 3. It's nonstop dogfighting with monsters with awesome weapons and great sound, smooth graphics, and PHYSICS. It makes you feel like a badass.

That said, don't bother with any of the other Painkillers.

member001
Feb 19, 2011

The Kins posted:

And just when I shouldn't be buying games cause the bloody holiday/end of year releases are upon us!
GOG! :argh:

A metric ton of extra's but no soundtrack?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Are the Spellforce 2 games worth picking up? I really enjoyed SF1, although I still haven't finished Shadow of the Phoenix.

member001 posted:

A metric ton of extra but no soundtrack?

The Wing Commander CIC has the soundtrack.

They also have a bunch of scenes from the PSX and 3DO versions that never made it into the PC version (warning: SPOILERS), including some that shed a lot more light on the Big Plot Twist. This might be what GOG means by "deleted scenes", though.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 13, 2011

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

duckfarts posted:

Painkiller Black is the DOOMiest game to date, moreso than Doom 3. It's nonstop dogfighting with monsters with awesome weapons and great sound, smooth graphics, and PHYSICS. It makes you feel like a badass.

That said, don't bother with any of the other Painkillers.

This is perfectly accurate, i own, every other Painkiller game too and NONE, like NOT A SINGLE loving SEQUEL outside Black Edition (Painkiller+Battle out of Hell) worth a single dollar/euro/pound/mountain dew can.

I bought Painkiller Black 4 times: The original CDs, Steam version, Gog.com and a copy from Painkiller Pandemonium wich includes the awful Overdose and Resurrection. I still feel that i did the right decision (i didnt pay more than 6$ for each copy so it wasnt that bad).

Hammertime
May 21, 2003
stop

I'd say waiting on the day ... but I've played them through on Exult a bunch.

It still blows my mind that the living world of U7 hasn't been matched except for perhaps Gothic 1/2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ToxicFrog posted:

Are the Spellforce 2 games worth picking up? I really enjoyed SF1, although I still haven't finished Shadow of the Phoenix.

I much prefer the sequel to the first game actually, it's streamlined but in a good way, having to manage five different resources and having a separate base for each race in the original was a bit much, Spellforce 2 cuts it down to the essentials while retaining what made it fun.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Kins posted:

Oh gently caress yes, I am so buying this. And I just spent $10 on Civ V :negative:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

It's nice to know that Wing Commander III is exactly as fun as I remember. It may not have the action of Freespace 2 or the realism of I-War 2, but it nails the space opera tone perfectly.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
So, anyone have an idea about how many of WC3's extras were on the bonus disc in the movie tin edition?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Guillermus posted:

This is perfectly accurate, i own, every other Painkiller game too and NONE, like NOT A SINGLE loving SEQUEL outside Black Edition (Painkiller+Battle out of Hell) worth a single dollar/euro/pound/mountain dew can.

To be honest I hated Battle out of Hell and still haven't finished it. The levels somehow manage to be visually interesting, while at the same time not at all fun.

Or at least the first three are; I'm not sure I could bring myself to get past those even if it didn't crash half the time when loading a level.

That said, the base game rocks hardcore and I don't at all regret buying it once as the base game and then again as the Black Edition.

Sakurazuka posted:

I much prefer the sequel to the first game actually, it's streamlined but in a good way, having to manage five different resources and having a separate base for each race in the original was a bit much, Spellforce 2 cuts it down to the essentials while retaining what made it fun.

I kind of liked that part, actually. :shobon:

Goddamnit GOG I just got Hot Pursuit on Steam and classes are starting I don't have time for a backlog :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
OP updated. Wing Commander III was a nice surprise, but now WC IV is a glaring omission.

Someday I'll have my digital copy of SimTower. Someday...