Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

STICK SHIFT JAG WOOO YEAH BOYEEE

I want one real, real bad.

The article says it's an automatic?

Thanks for making me go back and read an article about some lovely European Camaro that I had been happy to ignore, rear end in a top hat. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Here's some news about cars that people actually care about.

PDF link to Chevy Sonic order guide.

1.4l turbo + 6 speed manual on the LTZ. :dance:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Throatwarbler posted:

The article says it's an automatic?

Thanks for making me go back and read an article about some lovely European Camaro that I had been happy to ignore, rear end in a top hat. :argh:

My link in carmag says three pedals option. http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/First-Official-Pictures/Jaguar-CX-16-concept-car-2011-the-E-type-reborn/

Car Magazine posted:

What will change from the C-X16 to the XE road car?
Happily not much, we hear. Tone down those 21in rims for more manageable 19s (20s will be an option). The concept's eight-speed auto will happen, but you'll be able to order a six-speed stick shift too.

Even more happily, the 1600kg kerbweight of the C-X16 will tumble to a svelter 1500kg for production. All that remains now is to decide on the name. We've heard XE is possible, and now the C-X16 is out in the open, we suspect the clues will start flowing thick and fast.

Don't know how legit that is though.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

So I drove a (prepro) Jetta GLI and a Golf R last week. Don't ask questions about how or why please.

Golf R - this was pretty disappointing. Take a GTI and make it ever so slightly better - nicer interior trim, more power, neat blue needles on the speedo, fancier seats. It didn't fix any of the poo poo I didn't like about the GTI; namely, the long and terrible shifter throw and the awful clutch. The car was seriously undone by the gearbox. If anything, the box is worse than the GTI, especially with the clutch (I think this is due to AWD).

What's wrong with the clutch exactly? Too soft? Weird engagement?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Weird, long friction point and a lack of feel in general. A little overboosted. Basically take a mid 90s Subaru and uh yep. It's bad.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

bidikyoopi posted:

What's wrong with the clutch exactly? Too soft? Weird engagement?

I had an '01 GTI and I thought the clutch was just dandy but I'm not a serious race dude or whatever. *edit* Read kyoon's reply... yeah my clutch wasn't anywhere near that explanation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

To be fair my daily is a BMW with a nice short throw on the shifter and a great clutch so I am rather spoiled.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

1.4l turbo + 6 speed manual on the LTZ. :dance:

How's the aftermarket on the 1.4L turbo engine? The stock 140HP is a bit lacking IMHO, but something in the neighborhood of 180HP would be really nice in a car like that.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
So the pricing on the Sonic is also out, a loaded sedan with the 1.4L turbo, 6-speed manual, leatherette seats comes out to $17200 which is an excellent price for what you get. Turbo = manual only so the volume engine is clearly the 1.8 by a massive margin, at least the upper level trim isn't auto-only like some other brands.

The hatch is +$800, but it still looks like an Aveo which totally ruins it.

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 8, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

NOTinuyasha posted:

The hatch is +$800, but it still looks like an Aveo which totally ruins it.

Tha Aveo looks fine, and maybe some of us care more about go than sho. :colbert:

I think the turbo+auto is coming later in the year, just not available right now.

As far as aftermarket, I did a quick search and it looks like you can get to 180hp with a chip tune and removal of the restrictor plates in the intake manifold.

http://www.chevroletcruzeforum.com/index.php?/topic/1281-vermont-tuning-cruze-custom-performance/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

NOTinuyasha posted:

but it still looks like an Aveo which totally ruins it.

I think the latest gen Aveo design looks good. It's got a really sport stance with the wheels far out under the fenders, unlike most econoboxes. The problem is that the image is associated with the car being such a piece of poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I think the latest gen Aveo design looks good. It's got a really sport stance with the wheels far out under the fenders, unlike most econoboxes. The problem is that the image is associated with the car being such a piece of poo poo.

I don't think the front works on it but other than that I agree that the body style is about as good as you can get with the form of Single Box On Wheels.

The front just looks like they took the front off a Malibu and left it in the dryer for a bit, then mashed it all up til it fit.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Throatwarbler posted:

Tha Aveo looks fine, and maybe some of us care more about go than sho. :colbert:

I think the turbo+auto is coming later in the year, just not available right now.

As far as aftermarket, I did a quick search and it looks like you can get to 180hp with a chip tune and removal of the restrictor plates in the intake manifold.

http://www.chevroletcruzeforum.com/index.php?/topic/1281-vermont-tuning-cruze-custom-performance/

Pretty sure those are tumble generators, not 'restrictor plates'. They might function as the latter at over stock airflows, but were intented to tumble air into the chamber, aiding fuel/air mixing and cylinder swirl.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Holy poo poo a Mazda hosed an Aston.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Ford has unveiled a bevy of new Focuses at Frankfurt.

Focust ST Wagon.

ST-R

And a 1.0l turbo engine that puts out 99hp.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Throatwarbler posted:

If the new Mazda3 looks like :iamafag:, then this looks like .

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Throatwarbler posted:

Focust ST Wagon.

ST-R

And a 1.0l turbo engine that puts out 99hp.

Why strip out carpets, seats and everything and not the dash?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Boiled Water posted:

Then you would need to make a new dash and that costs money. It's just the dash, and it's probably gutted, too.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Boiled Water posted:

Spec racing has rules like that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throatwarbler posted:

Focust ST Wagon.

If only they'd made this with the turbo 2.5L 5-cylinder, it would have been perfect. Now, it's just awesome.

coinstarpatrick
May 21, 2007

by T. Finn
Judging by its absence from the past 20 pages I may be the only one but... I'm pretty hard for the new Kia Rio 5.

So much so that I watched this whole video of this goofy yet amiable Kia salesman going over its finer features:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE21bqt17Lw&feature=related

I really liked the styling of the new Optima when I first saw it, and this to me is like a smaller version with a very Fiesta/MK5 golf vibe.

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/jaguar-cx16-revealed-frankfurt-motor-show-2011-09-07

quote:

Up front there's a 3.0-litre supercharged V6 engine producing 380bhp and 332lb ft of torque. But that's not all. Integrated into the eight-speed gearbox is a motor generator mounted behind the seats that draws power from a battery pack (itself charged through brake energy regeneration, like KERS on an F1 car) that provides 95bhp and 173lb ft of boost via a steering-wheel-mounted button. A boost button, if you will. Boost buttons are good.

:stare:

There's pretty much 0 chance this will make it to the production model, right?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It will I'm pretty sure, I think there are some other cars using a similar system. There is even a Buick with a small battery, but it's nowhere near as powerful I think, it is meant for fuel economy.

As for Kia, it was mentioned in another thread how great the new ones are looking; apparently they hired a designer from Audi.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

Focust ST Wagon.

I was hoping the hatchback or a possible wagon ST might be my next daily driver, but apparently the wagon isn't coming to North America, and the car is only being offered with a 6 speed manual. I was sort of hoping there would be a dsg of some sort. I guess the whole thing is sportier than I need for commuting anyway so it's for the best. I just wanted a Focus with a little more power.

I also liked how the article I read mentioned it would be a whopping 10mm lower than the base Focus. I probably couldn't notice one centimeter difference if I saw them parked next to each other.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

davebo posted:

apparently the wagon isn't coming to North America

I just knew this part was coming. God drat it.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

coinstarpatrick posted:

MK5 golf vibe.

Aren't those wheels just taken straight off the 09 Golf?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

coinstarpatrick posted:

So much so that I watched this whole video of this goofy yet amiable Kia salesman going over its finer features:

That Kia dealer is a mile away from my house, I go to the Walmart next to that best buy for groceries. :tinfoil:

The new Rio does look pretty good, and the price is probably going to be cheaper than the Chevy Sonic, on the other hand the Sonic will have the turbo engine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

davebo posted:

also liked how the article I read mentioned it would be a whopping 10mm lower than the base Focus. I probably couldn't notice one centimeter difference if I saw them parked next to each other.

It's just parroting what the engineers did, not an appeal to visual improvements.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ought ten posted:

Aren't those wheels just taken straight off the 09 Golf?

Sort of a mix between those and the optional alloys on the current Mondeo:

I like it. Kia have been pretty nice to look at for the last couple of years.

coinstarpatrick
May 21, 2007

by T. Finn

KozmoNaut posted:

Kia have been pretty nice to look at for the last couple of years.

I'm seriously considering buying one. 6MT, 140hp DI, 40mpg.. Hopefully it's entertaining on the test drive as that's a big factor. Reliability I'm not worried about, my sister ran her Elantra into the ground with poor maintenance and they replaced the longblock at 80,000 miles under warranty.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

coinstarpatrick posted:

Judging by its absence from the past 20 pages I may be the only one but... I'm pretty hard for the new Kia Rio 5.

I really liked the styling of the new Optima when I first saw it, and this to me is like a smaller version with a very Fiesta/MK5 golf vibe.

That reminds me, in the calgary sun, there was a kia add and one of their featured vehicles they had listed as a "RIO 5EX"

I of course laughed because I'm immature.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
The new Honda Civic revealed at Frankfurt looks like a Kia/Hyundai. Strange.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Holy poo poo that thing is ugly. It is like they removed all the good looking parts of the Civic and replaced them with all of the hideous parts of the Insight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's really busy looking in that color, but I think I'd be ok with it. I applaud switching to the hidden rear door handle gimmick.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

What is that weird looking rib under the taillight?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

It's really busy looking in that color, but I think I'd be ok with it. I applaud switching to the hidden rear door handle gimmick.

I'm unfamiliar with this, where is it?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Guinness posted:

I'm unfamiliar with this, where is it?

Where the base of the window glass meets the C pillar.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.
Those wheels look tiny on that car

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
I think that's just because of the goofy grey lipstick around the wheels. If it was body colored, the gap might not look so pronounced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009

sliderule posted:

Where the base of the window glass meets the C pillar.

Oh thank god, I thought they were suicide doors.