Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The appendix is believed to have once allowed us to eat those things but it's completely nonfunctional in modern humans (developing life-threatening infections does not count as a function).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
If you're asking about eating pine needles and leaves and such because you presumably have nothing else, then just eat the worms and bugs you'd find around those things since those work in emergencies.

Octavian
Mar 29, 2007
Wasn't sure if this deserved it's own thread, so here it goes:

Recently, one of my neighbors decided to move back to Florida, and since he was willing to pay pretty well, I helped him empty out his house and storage unit. The unit was the last thing we moved, since there was a bunch of stuff he decided he didn't want. Well, in addition to the recliner and golf clubs, he left a bunch of stuff from a former calling of his: filmmaking. In addition to a tangle of old A/V cables, some giant video cassettes, and a Panasonic A/V mixer (WJ-MX12, if that means anything), there were boxes and boxes of old film:

There are around a dozen boxes like this one now sitting in my garage. All of it is from a movie called "River of Stone," which he worked on in the mid-1990s. I assume this is all the film they shot the movie on, and now I'd like to know the best way to get rid of all this.

As far as I can tell, the only thing that might be notable about this movie is that it stars James Doohan, George Kennedy, and G. Gordon Liddy. Knowing that, are there any sort of archives or collectors who would possibly want this? Or, since that seems unlikely, what's the best way to dispose of it - trash, some specialty recycler (most film recyclers seem only interested in stuff that hasn't been developed), or recreate the ending of Inglourious Basterds?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Octavian posted:

Wasn't sure if this deserved it's own thread, so here it goes:

Recently, one of my neighbors decided to move back to Florida, and since he was willing to pay pretty well, I helped him empty out his house and storage unit. The unit was the last thing we moved, since there was a bunch of stuff he decided he didn't want. Well, in addition to the recliner and golf clubs, he left a bunch of stuff from a former calling of his: filmmaking. In addition to a tangle of old A/V cables, some giant video cassettes, and a Panasonic A/V mixer (WJ-MX12, if that means anything), there were boxes and boxes of old film:

There are around a dozen boxes like this one now sitting in my garage. All of it is from a movie called "River of Stone," which he worked on in the mid-1990s. I assume this is all the film they shot the movie on, and now I'd like to know the best way to get rid of all this.

As far as I can tell, the only thing that might be notable about this movie is that it stars James Doohan, George Kennedy, and G. Gordon Liddy. Knowing that, are there any sort of archives or collectors who would possibly want this? Or, since that seems unlikely, what's the best way to dispose of it - trash, some specialty recycler (most film recyclers seem only interested in stuff that hasn't been developed), or recreate the ending of Inglourious Basterds?

Email or call these guys. If they don't want it they can at least direct you to where you should go.

http://www.oscars.org/filmarchive/index.html

Failing that, ebay would at least be worth a shot before trashing it.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Octavian posted:

now I'd like to know the best way to get rid of all this.

For the love of God, don't trash that. If the Oscar folks don't want it, I'll take it off your hands. Send me a PM and let me know (or let me know here if you don't have PMs).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I have a Sony-made clock radio alarm thing. It sets itself automatically by radio (looking on wikipedia, I guess from here, given that I am in Hawaii), but it is always exactly six minutes fast, compared to all my other clocks that set their time through the internet. There doesn't appear to be a way to set the clock manually. Does anyone know what the hell is going on? I've had the clock for over a year and have just put up with it, but for some reason I suddenly really, really want to get to the bottom of it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have a Sony-made clock radio alarm thing. It sets itself automatically by radio (looking on wikipedia, I guess from here, given that I am in Hawaii), but it is always exactly six minutes fast, compared to all my other clocks that set their time through the internet. There doesn't appear to be a way to set the clock manually. Does anyone know what the hell is going on? I've had the clock for over a year and have just put up with it, but for some reason I suddenly really, really want to get to the bottom of it.
It takes six minutes for radio waves to travel the same distance internet waves travel in six seconds. :pseudo:

eagle_man77
Dec 8, 2010
What is a good program to rip blurays?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

It takes six minutes for radio waves to travel the same distance internet waves travel in six seconds. :pseudo:
I think I got dumber just by reading that, but anyway I figured out how to set the clock manually, the buttons work differently than any clock radio I have ever owned. It still doesn't explain why it was wrong to start with though.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think I got dumber just by reading that, but anyway I figured out how to set the clock manually, the buttons work differently than any clock radio I have ever owned. It still doesn't explain why it was wrong to start with though.

Probably because the internet time is set to your timezone's standard and NIST's radio time is set to the exact local time and they happen to differ by 6 minutes.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

eagle_man77 posted:

blurays

I don't think you can ask that sort of question here.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I saw these two workout devices in a documentary about Bruce Lee. Can anyone identify them or were they just something he made for himself?

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Before we moved into our house, the people before finished the basement(unpadded carpet, interior walls etc). Last night we had a really hard rain for about an hour or so. About three or four hours later I walked across the floor and discovered a huge wet spot about four feet wide. In a panic I searched the ceiling panels for water spots only to find none.

WHERE THE HELL DID THIS WATER COME FROM?! What would be an easy or effective way to get the water out of the carpet and prevent this from happening again?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gray Stormy posted:

WHERE THE HELL DID THIS WATER COME FROM?!

It's a basement. It either seeped through the walls or through the floor.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Probably because the internet time is set to your timezone's standard and NIST's radio time is set to the exact local time and they happen to differ by 6 minutes.
Wait, are you saying that official time according to the US government has divisions inside of time zones?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait, are you saying that official time according to the US government has divisions inside of time zones?

I think what he's saying is that the time servers your other devices get their time from are delivering zone time, but the radio signal you are getting is delivering local time (they are not the same thing!). I would be very surprised if this were the case though. Only ships at sea give two fucks about local time any more.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's a reasonable chance it's using RDS to get the time, and since that's entirely down to the broadcaster to get right, maybe they just hosed up on the time. I know most of the stations that broadcast with RDS here (in Taiwan) have their times all wrong, and all wrong differently.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

stubblyhead posted:

I think what he's saying is that the time servers your other devices get their time from are delivering zone time, but the radio signal you are getting is delivering local time (they are not the same thing!). I would be very surprised if this were the case though. Only ships at sea give two fucks about local time any more.

Yeah considering that the government time radio broadcasts each span literally millions of square miles, broadcasting local solar time at the station would be completely useless.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Alright got one, so went to a dentist the other day and was told they'd need to take a tooth out as it's infected and oh poo poo I could die from it if it isn't removed, I'm a huge wuss when it comes to pain and sitting here at 3:00am freaking out about it, can anyone tell me what it's like?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Alright got one, so went to a dentist the other day and was told they'd need to take a tooth out as it's infected and oh poo poo I could die from it if it isn't removed, I'm a huge wuss when it comes to pain and sitting here at 3:00am freaking out about it, can anyone tell me what it's like?
Ive had two teeth pulled and the only PAIN I felt was when they shot novacaine into my gums. The shot is just a hard pinch feeling followed by feeling the novacaine going into your gums (if i recall correctly). Its more of a discomfort, really. You can feel a pressure in your mouth and the dentist is just yanking away and right when you go "OH GOD THIS IS WHEN THE PAIN HAPPENS I KNOW IT" they tell you the tooth has been out for five minutes.

fakeedit: haha. that sounded dirty as hell on second read and I'm leaving it.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 13, 2011

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm an American on a trip in New Zealand, and I'm wondering what makes the milk here taste kind of cheesy or buttermilk-y compared to milk in the US.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have high anxiety when it comes to dentists, and I found an amazing dentist who walked me through the process and helped me deal with it. Turns out it was a breeze. As someone who has felt the fear you're feeling now, you'll be fine.

Sometimes even the Novocaine doesn't hurt, but sometimes it's a tiny pinch in your gums. After that I promise you the only thing you'll feel is some shuffling around in your mouth, maybe a tug when the tooth is extracted. It shouldn't take very long at all, either, and pain afterwards is usually only soreness from the needle and then some soreness around the gums, but some tylenol takes care of it.

If you want to talk about this more you can PM me.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I had a tooth pulled for basically the same reason a couple of years ago. I'm no good with dentists either, but when the time came I walked in, sat down, got shot up with anesthetic, and walked out good as new like 25 minutes later, drugs in hand. Barely even felt the tooth coming out at all, never mind any pain. Blew my loving mind. There was a kind of dull ache that made it through the painkillers afterward, but that was on par with a really mild headache at most. The closest to pain I experienced was not being able to hit a bong for a week or so.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

When they removed my wisdom teeth, they injected me a couple of times with anesthetic which was the 'worst' part and wasn't all that bad really. The dentist came in to take a look, or so I thought, but then he removed his tool and it had my tooth with it. Literally did not feel a thing. You'll be cool.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If you're that worried about it, ask them to pump you full of nitrous oxide (the "laughing gas" stuff) before they even get to the Novocaine part. I'm usually not a big wuss when it comes to pain, but I really loving hate dentists, so I've had them do this sometimes. And honestly, the Novocaine needle isn't that bad, and that's literally all you are going to feel. They'll give it a minute or two to numb up, and if the area isn't numb, just tell them, and they will shoot you up with more Novocaine. You won't feel a thing, though you're going to hear some weird cracking sounds.

I have had so many teeth pulled, you have no idea, but it really isn't that bad. The only thing that ever even registered as kind of weird and painful, looking back, was the one time they gave me the Novocaine shot in my pallet instead of my gums, why, I have no loving clue.

tkNukem
Feb 12, 2005

Question about bank surcharges/moving to another bank... I'm starting to get surcharged for some silly poo poo, and I'm about to draw the line at the $2 fee for withdrawing from a non-bank ATM (in addition to whatever fees that ATM charges). Their suggestion is to try going to places where cash-back can be processed, which isn't convenient considering I'd likely be using my credit card for rewards at a grocery store, mini-mart, etc rather than a debit card. Their solution for the savings account is to go online and transfer funds to checking, THEN perform the cash-back trick.

That said, I'm looking to cancel both accounts and move to my credit union. Is moving to a CU a terrible idea? They offer checking accounts with no service fees (as long as I direct deposit) and no cash withdraw fees at non-CU ATMs; the only downside is their lacking selection of ATMs means I'll probably be hit with the $2-$3 fees. But that's better than the $2-$3 + $2 surcharge my bank hits me with.

Anything I should worry about with canceling bank accounts that I've had for 10 years? Will it affect my credit? I feel like surcharges at my bank will only get worse thanks to federal regulations, but somehow credit unions are less affected by these issues and aren't as likely to hit members with excess surcharges since CUs are member-owned, right?

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Gray Stormy posted:

Before we moved into our house, the people before finished the basement(unpadded carpet, interior walls etc). Last night we had a really hard rain for about an hour or so. About three or four hours later I walked across the floor and discovered a huge wet spot about four feet wide. In a panic I searched the ceiling panels for water spots only to find none.

WHERE THE HELL DID THIS WATER COME FROM?! What would be an easy or effective way to get the water out of the carpet and prevent this from happening again?

Water can seep up through a concrete basement floor. I am here to tell you this. I live in a house that has a concrete-floored basement, with brick walls, and when it rains hard and the soil outside is completely saturated, you can stand there and literally watch the water oozing up from the concrete. (It also comes in at the join between basement wall and floor, lucky us.) Concrete is not an impermeable substance, it has tiny cracks, and if the water pressure outside is high enough, the water flows down the outside of your basement walls and up through the floor.

My assumption would be that, since your predecessors finished the basement with carpeting and paneling, this isn't a regular thing, and can probably be easily dealt with via a shop water vac. The fact that they installed no carpet padding also speaks to this. Unpadded carpet is fairly easy to shop vac and then blow a fan on it to dry.

Don't store any valuable antique furniture down there, eh, or beanbag chairs.

As for preventing it, good luck with that. The guy who owned our house before us tried, and spent upwards of $7,000 ditching and redirecting around the house--no luck. One thing he did do that we value is, he installed a basement drain and had the entire basement floor sculpted so that the water runs right over to the drain and out. Hooray. :toot:

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It looks like a Mook Jong, which is used in Wing Chun training.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

hooah posted:

I'm an American on a trip in New Zealand, and I'm wondering what makes the milk here taste kind of cheesy or buttermilk-y compared to milk in the US.

Is it UHT milk?

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

tkNukem posted:

credit unions

I'm curious about CUs too. I bank with Chase, and they're everywhere in Los Angeles, so I can always find an ATM, but I've been wondering lately if I'd benefit from a switch too.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
This thread about changing banks from the BFC subforum goes into some detail about credit unions.

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You shouldn't worry about it at all. There will be a tiny bit of pain once the dentist is injecting the anesthetic, after that, nothing is done until your mouth is numb. I took 4 wisdom teeth out (1 at a time, mind you), and I never felt any pain during the procedure, actually, one of them was inflamed and very sore (had to take antibiotics for a week before actually extracting it) and it was a huge relieve was it was out.

With that said, its a drat weird experience during the procedure, because you are 100% aware, although, in my case, I was a bit high from the anesthesia.

Needless to say it will extremely sensible for several weeks, and very sensible for months (until the bone grown enough to cover the hole).

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

hooah posted:

The most frustrating thing: I have a factoid in my head that says that French milk and butter also strike Americans as having a cheese-y taste, but for the life of me I can't remember why that should be, nor can I find it on Google. You might go into the GWS general questions thread and ask them, betcha a dime somebody there will know the answer.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've read that if you're questioned or arrested by the cops, you should always plead the Fifth, demand a lawyer, and shut the gently caress up. The police are then forced to stop interrogating you, and you will avoid incriminating yourself.

That's how it works in America, but how does it work in Belgium? How do I cover my rear end if I have a run-in with de Politie?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The name Wouter, is it pronounced:

a) Wooter
b) Wowter
c) Other

I heard it pronounced like both a and b today, but each of them by people who often get things like this wrong, so I don't know which it would be. I assumed a but I'm not sure.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Router is "rowter" in the US and "rooter" in europe so I would lean towards "Wooter".

E: Even though "Route 66" is "root"...go figure.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I just recently moved into a new apartment that I'm leasing for six months and possibly a year. I was planning and just getting internet and using Netflix for my entertainment but DirecTV is running a really good offer right now for $35 a month with a ton of channels and free NFL Sunday Ticket (which is quite a bonus to me). I'm just not sure if I want to sign such a contract, considering I'll probably be moving after a year. What can I do? Can I call and see what they could offer me? Is there something where if I move I can get my service transferred easily and at not much cost?

Just seeing if someone who has this service has been in the same situation as myself.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Anjow posted:

The name Wouter, is it pronounced:

a) Wooter
b) Wowter
c) Other

I heard it pronounced like both a and b today, but each of them by people who often get things like this wrong, so I don't know which it would be. I assumed a but I'm not sure.

It's a Dutch name and is always pronounced more or less like b.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Baron Bifford posted:

I've read that if you're questioned or arrested by the cops, you should always plead the Fifth, demand a lawyer, and shut the gently caress up. The police are then forced to stop interrogating you, and you will avoid incriminating yourself.

That's how it works in America, but how does it work in Belgium? How do I cover my rear end if I have a run-in with de Politie?

I have no personal experience with the law in Belgium, but here's the US State Department's summary:

quote:

Arrested persons must be brought before a judge within 24 hours. Pretrial confinement was subject to monthly review by a panel of judges, which could extend detention based on established criteria, for example, if the court deemed the arrested person likely to commit further crimes or attempt to flee if released. There were instances where lengthy pretrial detention was a problem. The law provides for bail, but it was not a prevailing practice and was only occasionally granted. During the year, 39 percent of the prison population consisted of pretrial detainees. Arrested persons were allowed prompt access to a lawyer of their choosing or, if they could not afford one, to an attorney appointed by the State.

Basically in any country, even those without a codified "right to remain silent", you should just remain silent other than to ask for a lawyer. It's not like they're going to beat a confession out of you in Belgium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

CortezFantastic posted:

I just recently moved into a new apartment that I'm leasing for six months and possibly a year. I was planning and just getting internet and using Netflix for my entertainment but DirecTV is running a really good offer right now for $35 a month with a ton of channels and free NFL Sunday Ticket (which is quite a bonus to me). I'm just not sure if I want to sign such a contract, considering I'll probably be moving after a year. What can I do? Can I call and see what they could offer me? Is there something where if I move I can get my service transferred easily and at not much cost?

Just seeing if someone who has this service has been in the same situation as myself.

FYI not completely an answer to your question but a friend has told me you can get the NFL sunday ticket now streaming online for a few $s without a dish if you can convince their phone people that you are unable to put a dish up.

He told them some story about "can't do a dish because ____" and he's signed up for it now even though he still lives at the same address where he previously had dtv for years.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 13, 2011