Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So... I was tired of hearing the Enderman as zombies, so I made a thing. Let me know if these are worth a drat. I'm not even 100% sure of the proper application for them, but I have two one-hit sounds, like the zombies moan, and two loopable sounds (though when I converted them to MP3, there was a bit of a cut at the beginning and end).

Listen, let me know what you think.

The one-offs:

The loops:

The first two sounds are made from baby laughter. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Playing around with prerelease 2, I'm finding that I really love creative mode.

I went spelunking and found a zombie spawner, so I thought "What the hell, why not?" and turned it up to Hard. Sure enough, zombies started spawning and I could kill them.

All the fun of survival mode without the danger/difficulty.

This fits the way I like to play Minecraft almost 100%.

melaTONE
Nov 5, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So... I was tired of hearing the Enderman as zombies, so I made a thing. Let me know if these are worth a drat. I'm not even 100% sure of the proper application for them, but I have two one-hit sounds, like the zombies moan, and two loopable sounds (though when I converted them to MP3, there was a bit of a cut at the beginning and end).

The one-offs:

The loops:

The first two sounds are made from baby laughter. :haw:

These are incredibly creepy. I can imagine myself freaking out all over again in this game due to those noises. Nicely done sir!

DaftPVF
Aug 14, 2011
Has anyone else noticed in pre-release 2, that shift+click crafts all possible items?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
So one of my worlds has stopped showing up in minecraft. What governs if the world selection can see a world folder - the "level.dat" file?
I've tried:
- copying the whole folder
- deleting level.dat
- replacing the level.dat with the level.dat_old
My minecraft is modded but this kind of question should apply to vanilla minecraft and so does anybody have any suggestions?

edit: I've copied over a different save file's level.dat and while I lost all the items I had on me, it now works again and it's back as normal.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 13, 2011

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Since they added in those awesome huge oceans, they really need to add in something that allows breathing underwater. Also coral reefs, and fish (that you can see)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

These are awesome and creepy, and I love the combination of eerie chirruping and almost mournful groaning that sounds almost like whalesong.
That said I think they already have official sounds that just haven't been released yet, but if there were an audiomod release before then, these would make good in the meantime.

Mammal Sauce posted:

Here's a map of a 20000x20000 world from 1.8:

The oceans are pretty huge but there are still islands dotted around everywhere.
I wish it were a little more... continental.
That big shape in the middle should be partitioned off into a number of large islands, maybe even just three, but the one problem I've always had with Infdev on is that sometimes the entire world is like one contiguous, shapeless landmass.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

These are awesome and creepy, and I love the combination of eerie chirruping and almost mournful groaning that sounds almost like whalesong.
That said I think they already have official sounds that just haven't been released yet, but if there were an audiomod release before then, these would make good in the meantime.

I wish it were a little more... continental.
That big shape in the middle should be partitioned off into a number of large islands, maybe even just three, but the one problem I've always had with Infdev on is that sometimes the entire world is like one contiguous, shapeless landmass.

Yeah, I figure there's absolutely zero chance for my sounds to make them in or anything, I just thought I'd mess around, make some things, in the off-chance that Notch or Jeb already doesn't have anything and they're looking. I'd tweet them to them both, but alas, I'm at work without twitter.

Would that seem pompous? I'd be super happy even if they just listened to them, that'd be enough for me.

EDIT: vvv Ok, cool. Anyone mind sending them a tweet or something?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 13, 2011

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Yeah, I figure there's absolutely zero chance for my sounds to make them in or anything, I just thought I'd mess around, make some things, in the off-chance that Notch or Jeb already doesn't have anything and they're looking. I'd tweet them to them both, but alas, I'm at work without twitter.

Would that seem pompous? I'd be super happy even if they just listened to them, that'd be enough for me.

You could give it a shot! I know C418 has been doing all the sounds/music, but I don't know if he planned on doing new noises for the Endermen.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DaftPVF posted:

Has anyone else noticed in pre-release 2, that shift+click crafts all possible items?
Holy poo poo, you're right! Finally, a modless craft-all key. This is awesome. Doesn't seem limited to stacks either, which could be good or bad.

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Sine the 1.8 pre release got updated does that mean the 1.8 server did as well? Is there a new server file?

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Those sounds are giving me flashbacks to Marble Hornets and the whole slenderman video thing that went on. Would definitely add a lot of eeriness to the game. I could imagine myself pretty paranoid if I heard them in an abandoned mine.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

S Danger K posted:

Sine the 1.8 pre release got updated does that mean the 1.8 server did as well? Is there a new server file?
http://t.co/crs68nh
Posted on Jeb's twitter.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

apophenium posted:

You could give it a shot! I know C418 has been doing all the sounds/music, but I don't know if he planned on doing new noises for the Endermen.

He's confirmed he has on twitter.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Mammal Sauce posted:

Here's a map of a 20000x20000 world from 1.8:

The oceans are pretty huge but there are still islands dotted around everywhere.

Mildly disappointing that the patches of non-ocean biome - while larger than before by a good margin - still seem to be more or less equivalent in size to one another. Maybe this is what Notch was talking about re: fixing biomes in 1.9?

I'm now wondering how hard it would be to mod uncommon 10x size chunks of biome into the world gen with a guaranteed stronghold somewhere near the middle. Would keep them rare still but at the same time make them locatable from a significant distance.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cephalocidal posted:

Mildly disappointing that the patches of non-ocean biome - while larger than before by a good margin - still seem to be more or less equivalent in size to one another. Maybe this is what Notch was talking about re: fixing biomes in 1.9?

I'm now wondering how hard it would be to mod uncommon 10x size chunks of biome into the world gen with a guaranteed stronghold somewhere near the middle. Would keep them rare still but at the same time make them locatable from a significant distance.
poo poo, that may be the best idea I've heard yet for the way strongholds should be spawned.
An extra-large biome of any kind -- swamp, desert, tundra -- with a gigantic stronghold (ideally with surface tower or ground-level fort) at the center, challenging people to enter.
I wish Notch still read these threads because trying to tweet him a cool idea like this would just be lost in the sea of "hey Notch y dot u add blod???".
Ah well, maybe a mod will pick this up.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Vib Rib posted:

Holy poo poo, you're right! Finally, a modless craft-all key. This is awesome. Doesn't seem limited to stacks either, which could be good or bad.

be careful using it and shift to move items quickly from inv to chest. if either is full it blanks the game screen and then crashes. luckily no item loss happened for me, but i always play on a local server.

in other news, the "Something Awful" seed is brilliant, the village closest to spawn has a dark secret beneath it, which is why i assume the villagers fled! (or the fact that 2 houses had doors up in the air, the other had a door hidden beneath gravel)

there's also at least TWO ravines beneath the village.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Frobbe posted:

be careful using it and shift to move items quickly from inv to chest. if either is full it blanks the game screen and then crashes. luckily no item loss happened for me, but i always play on a local server.

in other news, the "Something Awful" seed is brilliant, the village closest to spawn has a dark secret beneath it, which is why i assume the villagers fled! (or the fact that 2 houses had doors up in the air, the other had a door hidden beneath gravel)

there's also at least TWO ravines beneath the village.

Unless things have changed spawns aren't linked to seeds could you post the co-ordinates?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also note that there are no different biome colors. Everything is green.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Did chickens use to make a pop sound when laying an egg before 1.8? They might've but I've never noticed it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Did chickens use to make a pop sound when laying an egg before 1.8? They might've but I've never noticed it

Yeah. You have to sit around watching chickens for an awfully long time if you're trying to spot it on purpose, though.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

quote:

notch Markus Persson
The "no repeat right click" thing in 1.8 is a bug! My bad, fixing now.

Yay.

hoseroo
Nov 7, 2003

:roboluv: all pimp-style

Shorter Than Some posted:

Unless things have changed spawns aren't linked to seeds could you post the co-ordinates?

X: -579
Y: 83
Z: 214

is what's in my screenshot for the Town in the Something Awful seed

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
I just bought the game...finally. Ran around. Made a bench and pick. Broke the pick killing zombies. Died. Whee. Looking forward to running around and actually trying to survive, build a house, etc.

What is the Something Awful seed?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Think I'm going to wait to play more until the new patch. Especially if the number of strongholds are increased.

snuffles
Oct 7, 2007
For the seafaring goons who want islands that will fit more than a 6x6 hut try the NAMBLA seed. I've only done a little sailing but it seems to be a decent ocean map, still haven't found a village though.

hoseroo posted:

Something Awful seed

Aw, what a cute town, it's got a little chapel and...oh god, what is that hole in the ground. :ohdear:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shorter Than Some posted:

Go to 120,120, see the town there, and look for a big obvious cave on the outskirts (there's a road that kinda leads to it). Once inside, keep left.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

snuffles posted:

For the seafaring goons who want islands that will fit more than a 6x6 hut try the NAMBLA seed. I've only done a little sailing but it seems to be a decent ocean map, still haven't found a village though.

Aw, what a cute town, it's got a little chapel and...oh god, what is that hole in the ground. :ohdear:

It's your entrance to a neverending (!) abandoned mine that you never really want to leave since there's so much spelunking to do.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Go to 120,120, see the town there, and look for a big obvious cave on the outskirts (there's a road that kinda leads to it). Once inside, keep left.

haev you managed to find the stronghold in that map? when running it on the server, it goes "illegal biome placement" at "59, -18" and i've scoured the gently caress out of those coordinates.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Also note that there are no different biome colors. Everything is green.

There is definitely color variation between biomes for me... but F keys seem to have been remapped in 1.8pre2? I dropped an item instead of taking a screenshot.

This is taken from spawn, that village spawned right next to a ravine. I didn't even notice it at first because the dirt and tall grass go right up to it's edges. Went frolicking in the fields and fell down in. :downs:

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Who Dat posted:

I just bought the game...finally. Ran around. Made a bench and pick. Broke the pick killing zombies. Died. Whee. Looking forward to running around and actually trying to survive, build a house, etc.

What is the Something Awful seed?

The seed for generating the terrain.

When you go to create new world (in 1.8), click More World Options and it will allow you to enter a seed for that world.

For the current build, 1.7.3, when you go to create new world, just enter the seed in the box specified there.

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary

It seems to be raining inside my ravine.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

cocoavalley posted:

There is definitely color variation between biomes for me...

I think that was referring to the map render, not the game itself.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

No, it was referring to the game itself. I've only seen green biomes so far, and then I saw that map and everything was completely green, so I just assumed that there was only default green. Maybe that map can only show green and I've just been unlucky in finding alternate colors.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

in that particular village, try digging out the well. it drops you right into a ravine beneath town.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MikeJF posted:

He's confirmed he has on twitter.

Aw dammit. Well, whenever there's a really good audio mod released (is there one that allows for ambient sounds?) then I'll make an entire soundpack.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

No, it was referring to the game itself. I've only seen green biomes so far, and then I saw that map and everything was completely green, so I just assumed that there was only default green. Maybe that map can only show green and I've just been unlucky in finding alternate colors.

Wait, grass can be different colours in different areas now? Since when? :psyduck:

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
If they're doing updates for it and intentionally releasing them through official channels, what exactly at this point is separating it from being a buggy set of 1.8 releases other than them saying it's not?

I'm sticking with 1.7 until it's "official" anyway... and then probably waiting another week. You are all very silly.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Wait, grass can be different colours in different areas now? Since when? :psyduck:

Since Oct. 31st, 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Vinigre posted:

Since Oct. 31st, 2010.

Wait really? I've played a couple of times since he put pumpkins in and I've never noticed grass be anything but the green it's always been. Huh. Maybe I'm just not observant enough to notice it.