Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

WebDog posted:

The other method was to do this in camera, on set by painting it onto glass and putting it up in front of the camera. The limits were obvious, you had to make sure no one moved in order to keep the illusion of perspective.

Didn't Cameron do something like this for Aliens? I seem to remember hearing that he attached small models to the front of the camera for some shots as an alternative to building a huge set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ninja Gamer posted:

Didn't Cameron do something like this for Aliens? I seem to remember hearing that he attached small models to the front of the camera for some shots as an alternative to building a huge set.

That's more forced perspective but it's a similar principle.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Both techniques, when done well, are pretty much seamless.

For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMyDYyg0FBA the drop-off on the left side doesn't really exist

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Ninja Gamer posted:

He also at times used rear projection, namely in the shot where the dropship crashes. If I recall the doco correctly it was a combination of pre recorded model that was then rear screen projected on set. This allowed the actors to get close to an explosion and also threw matching light onto the actors. But rear projection's limits were that it often was fuzzier and not as well exposed as the foreground.

Front projection is a improved method, it's sharper and takes up less space. It's somewhat based off the Schüfftan process (used extensively in Metropolis) which takes it's cues from Pepper's Ghost.
I wish there was a cool video to show off how the effect is used (like Superman flying), but all I can find related to front projection is weird moon landing videos that claim Stanley Kubrick was hired by NASA to film moon landings based purely off the notion that the landscape used in the ape scene was the same in NASA's studio.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Ray Harryhausen movies are a good example of front projection. For him it was a way of avoiding constructing expensive miniature sets, and he used a lot of mirrors and cut-outs so that a stop motion monster could walk between live-action elements without having to do mattes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

WebDog posted:

Diagrams like this always confuse me. How does the reflected background image not hit the actors/other liveground elements and reflect off them?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Diagrams like this always confuse me. How does the reflected background image not hit the actors/other liveground elements and reflect off them?

As I understand it - which is probably wrong - it does, but there's so little light that you can barely tell. The backdrop is Scotchlite, that crazy reflective poo poo workmen wear on the highway. It's also the material the used to make lightsabers out of.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Maxwell Lord posted:

What's happening is that the background is being projected onto the beamsplitter set at 45 degrees to line the image straight with the backdrop. The background behind the actor is made up of a highly reflective surface; scotchlite the same material you see on hazard vests.

This is so sensitive to light that you barely need much luminance to make it reflect. The ratio is roughly 1 foot candle to a foreground light of 200 footcandles. The projection is then softened further with the beam splitter. When filmed the exposure level is set so that any remaining projection that is bouncing off the actor isn't perceptible. Unlike the human eye a camera cannot dynamically adjust to varying exposures, so it simply has it's exposure set to hide anything below a certain range.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

WebDog posted:

When filmed the exposure level is set so that any remaining projection that is bouncing off the actor isn't perceptible. Unlike the human eye a camera cannot dynamically adjust to varying exposures, so it simply has it's exposure set to hide anything below a certain range.

Ahhhh. Many thanks.

I have read about front projection being used for blue screens, just to project a "pure" blue image that doesn't get messed up by the lighting of other elements.

(My local library has bound collections of Cinefex from 1980 to about 1993. It's nifty.)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's crazy how good the front projection in 2001 looks.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's crazy how good the front projection in 2001 looks.

Reading in general about some of the techniques Kubrick insisted on using to make the FX work as well as they did, it's amazing that MGM gave him that kind of leeway, even with two hits behind him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I just saw Last Man Standing and I had two questions. How many movies are based on Yojimbo? And are there any straight up adaptations of Red Harvest, I thought Last Man Standing would be closer to the book since it's set in the same era, but it's beat for beat the same movie as Yojimbo, the credits even say it's based on a story by Kurosawa.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Skwirl posted:

I just saw Last Man Standing and I had two questions. How many movies are based on Yojimbo?

My film lecturer said 'lots'. I don't know how you'd look this up because obviously the films all have different titles and they don't all credit Kurosawa. This was about two years ago so I didn't ask him for any examples, but I remember he said that Yojimbo was an incredibly influential film that spawned lots of copy-cat films.

e: Other than the Leone film A Fistful of Dollars, but everyone knows that one.

Starshark fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 12, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

And are there any straight up adaptations of Red Harvest, I thought Last Man Standing would be closer to the book since it's set in the same era, but it's beat for beat the same movie as Yojimbo, the credits even say it's based on a story by Kurosawa.

Not really. The closest thing I can think of is Miller's Crossing by the Coens, but even that one removes the private eye aspect. Plot-wise, Brick kinda feels like a cross between Red Harvest and The Maltese Falcon.

According to Wikipedia, Bertolucci considered adapting it in the early '70s with Warren Beatty. That would've been interesting to say the least.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

csidle posted:

For me, someone who doesn't let themselves be pulled in and manipulated by films while watching them cannot have a valid opinion about a film, because they literally haven't seen the whole thing.

This might be more of a rant than a question, but it's been bothering me for months. It's so loving annoying. If you don't want to watch a movie, don't.
It may seem like a big deal but it's not really, most people don't really care about films. Movies are entertainment, criticism is to be despised, and a movie that might cause you to think is to be avoided at all costs. My boss told me once that any film nominated for an Oscar is "too artsy."

Your friends and family are probably just as annoyed with you for making them watch something they don't want to see, otherwise they wouldn't be distracted and messing around right?

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

fenix down posted:

Your friends and family are probably just as annoyed with you for making them watch something they don't want to see, otherwise they wouldn't be distracted and messing around right?
I would understand it if this was the case, but no, my family is pretty cool about movies. We've always watched a lot of movies, and this past summer we've been trying to see as many of the imdb top 250 movies as we can. I never force movies on them (I don't recommend artsy movies anymore, not since they shat all over my beloved Lost in Translation and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind), it's usually them asking me if I have x movie or whatever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Not really. The closest thing I can think of is Miller's Crossing by the Coens, but even that one removes the private eye aspect. Plot-wise, Brick kinda feels like a cross between Red Harvest and The Maltese Falcon.

According to Wikipedia, Bertolucci considered adapting it in the early '70s with Warren Beatty. That would've been interesting to say the least.

I always figured Miller's Crossing was closer in story to The Glass Key, though I'm sure the Coens read both.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I always figured Miller's Crossing was closer in story to The Glass Key, though I'm sure the Coens read both.

The Glass Key is actually the only thing by Hammett I haven't read, so I can't attest to that. I really need to get around to that one, it was Hammett's favorite of his own works if I'm remembering right.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I remember a couple years ago someone posted a screed against fullscreen versions of movies, including a shot from what I think was a Die Hard sequel that showed a guy walking down a hallway, with a bad guy waiting to ambush him in the foreground, who would be cut off if the film was watched in fullscreen. Does anyone remember that thread/what movie that was?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

User-Friendly posted:

I remember a couple years ago someone posted a screed against fullscreen versions of movies, including a shot from what I think was a Die Hard sequel that showed a guy walking down a hallway, with a bad guy waiting to ambush him in the foreground, who would be cut off if the film was watched in fullscreen. Does anyone remember that thread/what movie that was?

That's Die Hard 1, when Al Powell's investigating Nakatomi before his car gets shot up. One of the bad guys is hiding behind a wall with a machine gun, and Powell starts walking down the hallway towards him, but stops before the end.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
That always annoyed me with my first VHS copies of Ghostbusters and the sequel.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

This is probably the post you were thinking of from the Die Hard thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3248704&pagenumber=3#post370514598

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Do they even make full screen versions of movies anymore? Seems like that battle was won.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This is most definitely the wrong thread for this, I suppose, but its movie-related:

I've got some videos on my PC (legitimate ones, although I don't blame you if you think otherwise, paradoxically, because I made a point to say they were) that I've randomly decided that I want to burn to DVDs. Not as data, that'd be easy, but as watching-on-a-DVD-player DVDs. Menus, the whole shebang.

I've never really thought about it (posting this on my phone, on a whim, so I've no idea what sort of programs to do this. I vaguely recall there being a program in Windows that does this, but I'm that curmugeon that still uses XP.

What's an ideal program for this, or at least a better place to ask?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Schweinhund posted:

Do they even make full screen versions of movies anymore? Seems like that battle was won.

A lot of kids movies that I've watched (for nostalgia) on DVD recently are only available in FS.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

MisterBibs posted:

This is most definitely the wrong thread for this, I suppose, but its movie-related:

I've got some videos on my PC (legitimate ones, although I don't blame you if you think otherwise, paradoxically, because I made a point to say they were) that I've randomly decided that I want to burn to DVDs. Not as data, that'd be easy, but as watching-on-a-DVD-player DVDs. Menus, the whole shebang.

I've never really thought about it (posting this on my phone, on a whim, so I've no idea what sort of programs to do this. I vaguely recall there being a program in Windows that does this, but I'm that curmugeon that still uses XP.

What's an ideal program for this, or at least a better place to ask?

Any recent full version of the Nero suite is capable of this. Not sure about any free options though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I always use ConvertXtoDVD, but if you want a freeware option, Avi2Dvd is pretty good.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I was watching the old Stephen King movie, Sleepwalkers, which contains a lot of scene with domestic house cats.

This got me wondering about how you would even train a cat to stand in place for a length of time while surrounded by a bunch of other cats?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Schweinhund posted:

The next battle is 4:3 television getting horrible 16:9 releases on bluray. It's not going to stop, ever.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Vakal posted:

I was watching the old Stephen King movie, Sleepwalkers, which contains a lot of scene with domestic house cats.

This got me wondering about how you would even train a cat to stand in place for a length of time while surrounded by a bunch of other cats?

The same way you train them to do stuff like this

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Vakal posted:

You can train pretty much any reasonably intelligent animal to do at least some things.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I'd imagine the cats are probably all female. After that, that's basically what cats do is lay around doing nothing. I don't think it would be hard.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Schweinhund posted:

I just had to watch a Video On Demand fullscreen version of Hannah the other night. There were options to switch to letterbox/stretch/etc but the default was fullscreen, but unfortunately either it wasn't working on my dad's particular box, or the options were only available for the HD broadcasts.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Starz really likes to crop the poo poo out of movies they put on Netflix Instant, so there's that too.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Starz really likes to crop the poo poo out of movies they put on Netflix Instant, so there's that too.

Why do they do this and why does Netflix accept it? If Netflix supposedly wants to make streaming their primary service, shouldn't there be some sort of quality control? Currently streaming is a nice add-on but as a standalone service it's kind of bullshit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Well it does not matter anymore since Starz is removing all there stuff

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!
Hi,

I have a question that bugs me for the past 25 or so years. When I was a kid (mid 80s) i remember one night watching TV and there was this movie with a scene that is branded to my mind. I could never find the name of the movie, and every now and then I still try to figure out, but to no avail.

Anyway, here's the bits I remember:

- It's about an AI (artificial intelligence) entity that somehow creates a body for itself. That body is not a body per say, but really an Octahedron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Octahedron.svg)
- IIRC, there's some romance in the story (not sure if the AI is based on a dead guy coming after his wife)
- The scene that is branded on my skull has this Octahedron transforming/unfolding into tetrahedrons/whatever spatial shape, wrapping itself around a guy's neck and pretty much decapitating him
- I believe the movie was from the late 70s/early 80s

Hopefully that movie exists and it's not a figment of my imagination.

thx

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
You might be thinking of Demon Seed.

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!

Sizzlechest posted:

You might be thinking of Demon Seed.

Checked wikipedia and it's very likely the name of the movie.

Thanks for solving my 25 year old mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Well it does not matter anymore since Starz is removing all there stuff

Oh poo poo when is this happening? I need to finish party down!