Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
There are different greens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Aw dammit. Well, whenever there's a really good audio mod released (is there one that allows for ambient sounds?) then I'll make an entire soundpack.

I forget the name of it now, but there was a really good audio mod that I used with Yogbox in 1.7, had loads of ambient sounds and good volume control. Anyone know the name of that?

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

Taffer posted:

I forget the name of it now, but there was a really good audio mod that I used with Yogbox in 1.7, had loads of ambient sounds and good volume control. Anyone know the name of that?

mAtmos

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vib Rib posted:

I wish it were a little more... continental.
That big shape in the middle should be partitioned off into a number of large islands, maybe even just three, but the one problem I've always had with Infdev on is that sometimes the entire world is like one contiguous, shapeless landmass.

Practically speaking though, that guy's map is 20,000 x 20,000. That means it's a 400 square kilometer area, which is about the size of the City of Philadelphia.

If we want to talk about things being continent size, the smallest continent on Earth is Australia, and that's 7.6 million square KM. The same area in Minecraft would be a square defined by 0,0;0,2760000;2760000,2760000;2760000;0

That is, you'd need to walk 2,760,000 out one way, and then 2,760,000 at a right angle to that to encompass an actual continent-size area. A really big lake, like Lake Superior, is 127,700 square kilometers, a square Minecraft "ocean" 357,351 on a side would be as big as a large real world lake.

Just something to think about! Your character walks about 5 blocks a second, and blocks are a meter, so in single minecraft day cycle of 20 minutes you can go 6 kilometers or about 3.78 miles. When you consider all this stuff, is it really any wonder that it tends to look like one big landmass?

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

Bellend Sebastian posted:

The seed for generating the terrain.

When you go to create new world (in 1.8), click More World Options and it will allow you to enter a seed for that world.

For the current build, 1.7.3, when you go to create new world, just enter the seed in the box specified there.

Oh, okay! So I just type in "Something Awful" in that box? This is all a bit overwhelming because I can tell there is a lot to learn.

I did finally figure out how to install the Quandary texture packs, though, so, progress!

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

Frobbe posted:

haev you managed to find the stronghold in that map? when running it on the server, it goes "illegal biome placement" at "59, -18" and i've scoured the gently caress out of those coordinates.

Illegal biome placement or whatever means a stronghold was genned/tried to gen in an ocean biome. Those coordinates are chunk coordinates so if you want to get the real coordinates (the one you see in debug) you just times them both by 16.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Type in "8675309" as your seed, turn around when you spawn. There's a hilltop just begging for an evil fortress.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

hogofwar posted:

Illegal biome placement or whatever means a stronghold was genned/tried to gen in an ocean biome. Those coordinates are chunk coordinates so if you want to get the real coordinates (the one you see in debug) you just times them both by 16.

that's the weird thing though. there's a little puddle next to the coordinate but that's it. no ocean or anything like that.

and what do you mean by debug? is it the F3 menu?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

AB posted:

Type in "8675309" as your seed, turn around when you spawn. There's a hilltop just begging for an evil fortress.
Somebody put this into the OP: Spawns are random (You always spawn within a certain area in a certain seed, but that area is pretty big). If you want to show a location, give coordinates.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
So what bugs persist in SMP that do not in SP? Are endermen still bugged in SMP?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is there a downside to chowing down on the rotten flesh, or is that a 1.9 dealie?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Is there a downside to chowing down on the rotten flesh, or is that a 1.9 dealie?

IIRC, it poisons you, but poison doesn't have a working mechanic yet.

Yet.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not entirely sure (haven't eaten it much), but I think rotten flesh might stave off starvation, but won't actually grant you the health regen that real food does.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

It makes your hunger meter drop faster I think.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

IIRC, it poisons you, but poison doesn't have a working mechanic yet.

Yet.

Poison is in and it does work, get hit by a spider. Rotten Flesh doesn't seem to poison you, though. When you're poisoned your hearts turn yellow/brown and you lose a LOT of health.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Even with the cool new features that this 1.8 pre-release has, I find myself bored with vanilla Minecraft. I've gotten accustomed to the Millenaire mod and the mod compilation YogBox so vanilla Minecraft leaves me uninterested. I'm still trying out the pre-release but I wondering how I enjoyed the game before I came across modding, heh.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The only thing that happens if you eat a couple peices of raw/rotten meat, is your food bar turns green and drains a little faster. It still gives you healing.

Who knows how they might change it later, but thats all it is for now.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hey, so I'm playing on 1.7.3 still, but I've been having issues with my furnaces. Anytime I right-click on one to open it, the game displays a "Saving Chunks" message, then the game window goes black and I have to close an re-start. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Did the 1.8 furnace glitch somehow leak over to my game?

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

Frobbe posted:

that's the weird thing though. there's a little puddle next to the coordinate but that's it. no ocean or anything like that.

and what do you mean by debug? is it the F3 menu?

The debug menu is the f3 menu.

Are you sure you are multiplying the coordinates by 16? That is to get the right coordinates.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Poison is in and it does work, get hit by a spider. Rotten Flesh doesn't seem to poison you, though. When you're poisoned your hearts turn yellow/brown and you lose a LOT of health.

Rotten flesh gives you food poisoning, which makes your food meter turn green and start dropping quickly for a little while.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

The food bar doesn't tick down while you've got your inventory screen open. I left myself at my ghetto skelly drowner all night and came back to a satiated guy and a dozen stacks each of arrows & bones.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Who Dat posted:

Oh, okay! So I just type in "Something Awful" in that box? This is all a bit overwhelming because I can tell there is a lot to learn.

I did finally figure out how to install the Quandary texture packs, though, so, progress!

There's no particular reason to use "Something Awful" as a seed in 1.7, seeing as it uses the old terrain generation code. All the talk of that seed is based on 1.8 that has an entirely overhauled terrain generation with new features and larger biomes.

For 1.7 "gargamel" as a seed was all the rage.

And yes, you just type it in the box that isn't world name.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

runsamok posted:

The food bar doesn't tick down while you've got your inventory screen open. I left myself at my ghetto skelly drowner all night and came back to a satiated guy and a dozen stacks each of arrows & bones.

The food bar doesn't tick down if you're just standing still, period.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
It seems like every mountain range is really whacky now it's really lost its charm also stop posting screenshots of them! Well i guess you can if you want to

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

whalestory posted:

It seems like every mountain range is really whacky now it's really lost its charm also stop posting screenshots of them! Well i guess you can if you want to

I find them a lot more difficult to scale without using blocks to push myself up. It makes them feel more cliffish.

Speaking of terrain, I am loving those canyons.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Can somebody please assist me with making double doors that open from a single switch. Not operated by a lever or switch right next to the first door, but with a pressure plate connected to a long wire + repeaters to open double doors some distance away.

It's for a gravity trap in the air with water canals to funnel the mobs out of a door, I'm just having terrible trouble trying to get both to open, trying to adapt the usual double doors method.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, so I don't know what the gently caress is going on... I used both the link that was posted earlier (that forwarded on to another link) and the one posted on Jeb's twitter, but whichever browser (on my mac) that I use, it won't actually DOWNLOAD the file.... Safari/Chrome/Firefox... none of them will do it.

Can anyone email me the jar file? I don't need the server one, just the regular pre-release 2 file.

My gmail address is slaptheolsentwins.

EDIT: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_8-pre2/minecraft.jar

Ok, so THAT worked. Just right-clicked and downloaded. Didn't happen with the other URL, or even from this url posted from twitter... weird.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 13, 2011

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
Thank you to the goon who suggested the mushroom on top of mushroom house. Survival has gotten a lot easier (who else plays on hard? :ohdear:)

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Mushroom houses are the new nerdpoles.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Vertigus posted:

The food bar doesn't tick down if you're just standing still, period.

It also applies to boats.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Fence gates are vertically stackable!

But you still have to open them one at a time. That'll get added to the doors opening doors mod, probably.

Gooch
Oct 30, 2006

I cant figure out how to craft gates and iron bars.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gooch posted:

Gates are two sticks on the left, two planks in the middle, two sticks on the right.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Does anyone have a link to the server.jar for the latest prerelease?

e: herp

Walliard fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 13, 2011

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Walliard posted:

Does anyone have a link to the server.jar for the latest prerelease?

Vib Rib posted:

http://t.co/crs68nh
Posted on Jeb's twitter.

this was on the previous page.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Gooch posted:

IIRC, iron bars are only found in strongholds and cannot be crafted.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
After scanning some random-word seeds for a near-spawn ravine I came across "all my angst~". There is an entrance perhaps 50 blocks away from the place I spawn (I have loaded it up three times now) which leads to the most extensive cave network I've ever known. Using creative mode's fly ability to zoom around the caves I've found at least four subterranian ravines, two abandoned mine systems, miles upon miles of ups and downs, waterfalls and lava flows and I'm nowhere near finished even a rough scout through. I gave up after 40 minutes of super-fast exploration and hundreds of torches. I wanted a nice space to build an underground dwarf city but this is beyond my skills and patience to fully explore. Have a crack at it if you like. I strongly recommend doing a preliminary fly-though on creative mode with unlimited torches.

Entrance:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Kris xK posted:

IIRC, iron bars are only found in strongholds and cannot be crafted.

Actually I think they are craftable in a 3x2 horizontal pattern with iron ingots.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Random Stranger posted:

Gates are two sticks on the left, two planks in the middle, two sticks on the right.

Notch and Jeb really need to make gates wide enough for boats to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

FirePhoenix posted:

Actually I think they are craftable in a 3x2 horizontal pattern with iron ingots.

Yeah, I think they crafted some in one of the recent Yogscasts