Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

On the camera topic. Could this also be used against you? Saw you get pulled over for something, could they request the video to prove your guilt then charge you with anything else you might have done on the video?

I've considered a camera but between than and work not being very camera friendly I haven't done it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

XvoUd4 posted:

Well, first step is to touch the brake to get the light on, and see if that's enough. Then you take take care and slow down slowly. A quick wrist twist should be enough to get you away unless the car's fast and the driver's really nasty. Where I live there's a law that means anyone who hit's someone else's rear is automatically at fault (because they obviously left insufficient braking room), which has its upsides.

The irony is that people being too close soaks up extra attention, which often get taken from lower importance things like my throttle hand and speedo... causing me to unintentionally lose speed.

Same law here, but there's plenty of hit n runs. Last month, my girlfriend was riding her scooter around town and some guy hit n run.

Nobody wants to get caught, bunch of spineless pansies.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
When someone is tailgating me and I can't/don't feel like getting away I just shake the handlebars a bit. They think I'm losing control and back off. Years ago I had anger-fueled ideas of change holders and flinging money over my shoulder.

In other news, spy shots of real new Kawasaki ZX-14 just got leaked:

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Gnaghi posted:

it looks scared

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
I'm honestly at a loss for words here. It's just so loving hideous. I'm usually the one who defends Kawasaki when people say their bikes are ugly but the front of that bike just looks so drat bad.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

you guys are so cute

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Right back at you QT 3.14159

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Gnaghi posted:

Seeing it's already a kwak, they totally should have done it in green to get that creeper look down.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I know it doesn't come across as all internet tough guy, but why not just pull over and let the tailgater pass you? That way you don't provoke some confrontation and they can go annoy someone else.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Boat posted:

Seeing it's already a kwak, they totally should have done it in green to get that creeper look down.

Kawasaki devs: Oh poo poo, we've been playing so much Minecraft that it's embedded in our subconscious and affecting our work!

XvoUd4
Aug 13, 2011

n8r posted:

I know it doesn't come across as all internet tough guy, but why not just pull over and let the tailgater pass you? That way you don't provoke some confrontation and they can go annoy someone else.
Sometimes you can -I've done it at least once with a semi on a highway- sometimes you can't. Even if you can, you still need to slow down if you're gunna stop. I don't know about you, but some of the crud you find at the side of roads is not stuff I'd want to hit at 100km/h, and braking from that speed on gravel isn't appealing, either.

If its multilane and you have room around you, its an easy choice. If there's only one, or there's no opportunities to switch, or you need to be in that lane, its more problematic. If there's space in front of you, you can break the limit for a few secs then slow and stop (unless there's speed cameras...), but not if there's someone in front of you.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

NitroSpazzz posted:

On the camera topic. Could this also be used against you? Saw you get pulled over for something, could they request the video to prove your guilt then charge you with anything else you might have done on the video?

I've considered a camera but between than and work not being very camera friendly I haven't done it yet.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=g7zD8mclhAE#t=5m40s

I'm not sure if they're legally able to just take it like that, but anytime I'm riding in the mountains with a camera facing my speedo I'm always ready to pull the SD card and toss it.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

n8r posted:

This was always my response. Do an aggressive (but safe) lane change out of there way, then as soon as they pass get right back on their rear end and return the favor for a while with high beams on, then maybe a full throttle buzzing before settling in the slow lane til they're out of reach. It's nice to remind them that they're not that fastest thing on the road.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Some people are just bad drivers and tailgate in odd situations? I get out of the way any time I think they're dangerous, but sometimes you'll just be in traffic and, well, people suck at driving.

My favorite is when someone is right on my rear end in the right lane on the highway, shortly before I'm exiting. They exit with me, then when we get to the stop light at the exit they leave 2 car lengths behind me.

:psyduck: Thanks for the space at the light, I would have preferred that at 65.

eggyolk posted:

This was always my response. Do an aggressive (but safe) lane change out of there way, then as soon as they pass get right back on their rear end and return the favor for a while with high beams on, then maybe a full throttle buzzing before settling in the slow lane til they're out of reach. It's nice to remind them that they're not that fastest thing on the road.

Yeah, that's what he was going for.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh come on, not even Kawasaki would let their bikes get that ugly.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

n8r posted:

Last time I tried slowing down on the freeway to let a persistent tailgater overtake me, he just slowed right down along with me until we were going about 40kph in a 130kph zone. When I sped up again he stayed right on my rear end. He must have been pissed about something, I guess.

Luckily we arrived at the Storebælt bridge after a couple of km. It's a toll road and he followed me right into the automated toll collection lane without having a Brobizz device, so he probably blocked the whole lane for a couple of minutes while an attendant was summoned to accept manual payment. All the while I got as far away from him as possible.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

n8r posted:

This is it. On a fairly busy road you will usually end up behind someone else sooner or later. On a bike this means you can pass easy while the idiot behind can't. But I often let myself get provoked into speeding and one time this moron (in an old van obviously) really got to me and I remember hearing him locking his brakes right behind me before a downhill switchback. The male ego wants to win this race of idiots but what a dumb way to go, knocked off a mountain by some sociopath who will not stop to help or report the accident.

If it's an old beat up car or other sociopath stereotype, letting them past will be less rewarding for them than keeping up with a bike or whatever.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ola posted:

If it's an old beat up car or other sociopath stereotype, letting them past will be less rewarding for them than keeping up with a bike or whatever.

The previous persistent tailgater I mentioned happened while I was in my car, obviously my diesel hatchback is not really able to outrun anything.

But I had a similar situation while I was on my bike on the highway around Roskilde a couple of days ago, I tried slowing down and stayed in the right lane on a stretch with an overtaking lane, but he just clung to my rear end no matter what I did. I even turned off and took various side roads that snake around and cross the highway in places, but he just kept following me.

I had to break 150kph on the highway and dive down a side road once I got far enough ahead that he lost sight of me just to get him off my tail.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

A lot of the people tailgating are just lovely drivers. You will see them fly up on someones rear end then just sit there, not attempt to pass or anything else. If that person moves out of their way they just move up to the next car. Its not that they are doing it on purpose it's just that they are lovely drivers and most likely paying very little attention.

I usually just move and let them tailgate someone else. On the other hand if someone is aggressively tailgating me and following me around...gently caress them. I'll pull a quick lane split or something and ditch them first chance I get.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gnaghi posted:

I would honestly be a little shocked if it wasnt that ugly. Kawasaki has a reputation to uphold here people.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

I would honestly be a little shocked if it wasnt that ugly. Kawasaki has a reputation to uphold here people.

Ever since the 03/04 636 and 04/05 zx10 it's all been downhill.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I've had creepy followers as well, but not on the bike. It's tempting to pull over somewhere and walk towards the car to see what happens.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Ola posted:

I've had creepy followers as well, but not on the bike. It's tempting to pull over somewhere and walk towards the car to see what happens.

Honestly I've been riding on the street for longer than a decade, this has never happened to me. What is wrong with me? Why don't they like me? Either way n8r is right, best just to pull off on a diff road/parking lot/whatever.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm in a mood to rant.

Another brilliant thing that people tend to do is if you want to change lanes and you're matching your speed to the gap, they move up to try and block you.

It's especially annoying on the freeway when you're boxed in behind a truck and the traffic in the faster lane is only moving 10-15kph faster, you see people deliberately speeding up to make sure you can't get out.

Safe following distance motherfuckers, do you know what it is?

I actually saw a dude on tv who was pulled over on the freeway by the police for tailgating. He kept insisting that he was keeping a safe distance of 5 meters at all times. At 130kph.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm in a mood to rant.

I see this poo poo all the time here in Texas. I guess it isn't just here, but it seems like using your turn signal is just indicating to the person on that side they need to speed up to guarantee that you can't get over. It's loving mental and one of my biggest peeves about drivers in this area. I think it's the reason that people hardly use their indicators anymore.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Korwen posted:

I see this poo poo all the time here in Texas. I guess it isn't just here, but it seems like using your turn signal is just indicating to the person on that side they need to speed up to guarantee that you can't get over. It's loving mental and one of my biggest peeves about drivers in this area. I think it's the reason that people hardly use their indicators anymore.

It's the EXACT reason I don't use my indicators much; because people treat them as the opening bell in a fight.

Depending on the vehicle I'm driving, though, I'll signal and then just move over, and you better get out of my way. If it's a fullsize van, or sometimes even my SUV, and I think you're being a dick or inattentive, I'll pretend I've got a blind spot and can't see you, and just slowly but inexorably move over, ignoring your beeps and honking.

When I'm on the other end, if I see someone signal to change lanes, I tap my brakes, sometimes even flashing my lights to move over. If I am in the left lane, even if I think I'm going fast enough, I will move over if someone is coming up on me. If everyone drove in a courteous fashion, driving would be so much easier.

On the bike, I trust in one of the things my father told me when I started riding : Ride like everyone is trying to kill you. I'll signal if there's a ton of room, but if I think someone wants to fight over it, I'll either zip in front of them, or slow down and let them pass, and switch lanes in behind them.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Korwen posted:

I use my turn signals almost excessively on the street (even when there's no other cars around, just to keep in the habit and in case somebody shows up suddenly), but I almost never touch them on the freeway. Since the environment is relatively static and everyone's traveling in the same direction, I'm of the opinion that introducing something like a lane change indication will generally only add more randomness to the environment. I'd much rather find a spot and get into it as quickly as possible before anything has the chance to change.

edit:

Pagan posted:

On the bike, I trust in one of the things my father told me when I started riding : Ride like everyone is trying to kill you. I'll signal if there's a ton of room, but if I think someone wants to fight over it, I'll either zip in front of them, or slow down and let them pass, and switch lanes in behind them.

The crazy thing is the people trying to kill you aren't the only problem. There seem to be almost as many drivers who are overly cautious around motorcycles. They'll do really stupid and unpredictable things with the intention of helping you out, without realizing that they're just loving things up. Like when I slow down to try to switch lanes behind someone, if I'm indicating then sometimes they'll slow down too, trying to let me in front of them. All of the sudden you've got two lanes taken up by vehicles who both just reduced speed dramatically, and they likely didn't have the same sense I did to check their rear and make sure the person behind them is reacting.

Basically, the majority of the drivers out there are far more likely to make poor decisions than good ones, so giving them additional information will often just make things worse.

SlightlyMadman fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 13, 2011

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Wow, I guess I'm spoiled and Los Angeles drivers aren't as horrible as myself and everyone else makes them out to be. It's unfortunate that usually when I'm followed close like that there generally isn't a safe place to pull over and let them pass but it isn't as bad as some of the stories people are telling here.

Most people around here, even on the freeways if they see you throw on your indicator will still slow down and give you enough room to get in. At least on a motorcycle anyways, when I'm in my car it's a whole different story. I think I've only really had 1 bad incident with a tailgater in the past year and a half and 2 minutes later I was able to find a nice place to turn out and never saw them again.

The big problem here isn't so much tailgaters as it is unaware drivers when they try to merge into you and aggressive lane changers. You've all seem them, the ones that don't signal in heavy traffic then use their massive SUV to cut straight through 2 lanes of traffic blocking both without signaling. They seem to be the real problem as you don't know they're going to do it untill you see a hummer fly out diagonally in front of you a couple cars up.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Probably Hates You posted:

The big problem here isn't so much tailgaters as it is unaware drivers when they try to merge into you and aggressive lane changers. You've all seem them, the ones that don't signal in heavy traffic then use their massive SUV to cut straight through 2 lanes of traffic blocking both without signaling. They seem to be the real problem as you don't know they're going to do it untill you see a hummer fly out diagonally in front of you a couple cars up.

This, a million loving times. I've been fortunate enough to see them coming every time so far, but nothing to give a good pucker like a jacked F350 entering the freeway at a solid 20º+ off parallel with the rest of traffic.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Flicking off the kill switch for a second on a carbed bike is another nice way to make people back up a bit. make sure you keep the throttle open. also this is probably not good for your bike.
like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlXVCVMr_pk

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Embedding is disabled on this video, so I'm linking it instead. It's :30 and worth watching if you want to see people lift up a burning car and pull a crashed rider out from under it!

e: oh hell here it is anyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUxPWx4YW20

Article, via Jalopnik: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52568494-78/car-motorcyclist-bystanders-curtis.html.csp

quote:

A motorcyclist who was dragged beneath a car Monday in Logan was rescued by bystanders who helped police lift the burning car and pull the man out from under the wreckage. He was reported to be in critical condition Monday night.

Brandon Wright was riding east on U.S. Highway 89 about 11:40 a.m., when a driver steered his BMW 530XI into the motorcycle’s path from a parking lot across the street from the Utah State University campus, said Assistant Logan Police Chief Jeff Curtis. The driver of the BMW did not see Wright, who laid down his bike and slid into the car.

The motorcycle and Wright were pulled under the car, where the motorcycle’s gas line was severed, causing the bike and the car to catch fire while he was trapped underneath, Curtis said.

Several bystanders rushed to the car and lifted it off Wright while officers and other witnesses pulled him out and moved him to safety.

Wright suffered broken bones, cuts and burns, Curtis said. The driver of the BMW was not injured but "was shaken up, obviously," he said.

Firefighters put out the flames shortly after the crash, Curtis said.

It sounds like a standard car-motorcycle right-of-way violation. And Jalopnik actually used the language "laid his bike down to avoid a collision." The rider also appears to be wearing zero gear.

I would normally cringe at seeing a potentially severely injured person being dragged across the ground, but when it's out from underneath a pair of burning vehicles I'd say it's appropriate.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gnaghi posted:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnaghi posted:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

Z3n posted:

This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw that bike's front.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS....

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

echomadman posted:

Flicking off the kill switch for a second on a carbed bike is another nice way to make people back up a bit. make sure you keep the throttle open. also this is probably not good for your bike.

You don't even have to hold the throttle open, as long as you're engine braking the vacuum will pull fuel+air into the cylinder.

The only probable harm you can do is blowing apart your stock exhaust, since it's relatively restrictive. A wide-open can probably won't care and if you're lucky you get a nice flame to go with the bang :)

What happens is that fuel is sucked into the cylinder but not ignited, so you get unburned fuel+air in the exhaust pipes. When you flick the ignition back on, the engine continues running as normal, but the fuel in the exhaust pipes ignites as well, creating the bang. Sort of like anti-lag on WRC cars, actually. I guess there is a minute risk of valve damage, but I've never heard of any.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 13, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Gnaghi posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

Z3n posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XvoUd4
Aug 13, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I had to break 150kph on the highway and dive down a side road once I got far enough ahead that he lost sight of me just to get him off my tail.
The problem with that here in Aus if you're out on fun roads is that apparently one of the favoured tactics of unmarked cops is getting extremely close (like, a metre/yard) and waiting for you to do just that. Then they light up and you get a few hundred dollars -or more- worth of fine, and potentially lose your licence instantly. And if they happen to be a complete bastard with time to kill, they'll defect anything they can (aftermarked exhaust, lights, etc.) and give you a ticket to get your exhaust loudness checked (another hundred or something from your pocket).

Not sure how often this happens, and the things I've listed don't usually get done all together, but they definitely are done :(.

NitroSpazzz posted:

A lot of the people tailgating are just lovely drivers. You will see them fly up on someones rear end then just sit there, not attempt to pass or anything else. If that person moves out of their way they just move up to the next car. Its not that they are doing it on purpose it's just that they are lovely drivers and most likely paying very little attention.

I usually just move and let them tailgate someone else. On the other hand if someone is aggressively tailgating me and following me around...gently caress them. I'll pull a quick lane split or something and ditch them first chance I get.
Yep. That's why flashing the brake or slowing a bit usually works; it catches their attention and they realise what they're doing. Most annoying is when that's not enough and you simply don't have a path to get out of there. I filter (stationary traffic) loads, but I'm not keen on splitting through mid-fast traffic.

HNasty posted:

Honestly I've been riding on the street for longer than a decade, this has never happened to me. What is wrong with me? Why don't they like me? Either way n8r is right, best just to pull off on a diff road/parking lot/whatever.
Maybe your drivers are just much better? From what I've heard, Australians have one of the poorest driving skill:driving aggression ratios around :\.

Has anyone posted Freewayphobia yet? Not motorcycling, but related to the current discussion.

Endless Mike posted:

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS....
Kwaks is obviously trying to become BWM's equal. Unfortunately, they seem to be going for an outside->in approach instead of getting the mechanics on par first :v:.