Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

A5H posted:

He was a doctor eh. That's weird as gently caress.

So Harry Hill did inspire somebody else to do that!

I'd rather spend a day with Simon Bodkin than be in a room with Russel Brand anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, now that they chopped Ideal I don't give a gently caress what happens to BBC3. All I ever see on it now is Family Guy anyways.

So that series that finished a month or so ago was the end of Ideal? I only just got into it this season, and was really liking it. It had a strange mix of Shameless-esque gritty and League of Gentlemen-style surreal that worked well for me.

On the bright side, it appears to be have been going on for ages, so at least there's plenty to catch up on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ChuckDHead posted:

This could be interesting. I've been considering doing some writing of late, but the world doesn't need yet another blog about videogames, so I sort of shelved that. Do writers need to go using their real identities?

You sign up with a username, then you enter your real name (or a pseudonym) into your account section and that's what you're credited with.

My friend is in a similar boat to you, he said if I'd made it about video games then he'd be all over it.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

ChuckDHead posted:

So, is anybody planning on watching This is Jinsy? From the trailers it looks a bit like Little Britain taking place on Balamory or Craggy Island, and it's main selling point seems to be that David Tennant's in it, so I'm not quite sure what to think yet. I'm not exactly hoping for much, though. Sky One's only other new original comedy program (Trollied) is just okay.
I'll try the series, but I really wasn't a fan of the pilot. It was too knowingly "wacky".

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Great British Bake Off is doing pies tonight, expect some interesting flavour combinations, and for Yasmin to be predictably shite.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

The pHo posted:

You sign up with a username, then you enter your real name (or a pseudonym) into your account section and that's what you're credited with.

My friend is in a similar boat to you, he said if I'd made it about video games then he'd be all over it.

Can you change the real/pseudonym later if you decide you want to "go public", as it were?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Who the gently caress cares guys I mean poo poo it's just writing about TV shows!

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Oben posted:

I'll try the series, but I really wasn't a fan of the pilot. It was too knowingly "wacky".

This is my problem with what I've seen of it. The singing obituaries bit was like something out of Kenny Everett, but not as funny.

Speaking of Cuddly Ken, I do wish the BBC would stick some of his old stuff on DVD. I have the Kenny Everett's Naughty Bits DVD from the ITV (well, Thames TV) series, but there doesn't seem to be any of the BBC's stuff, which is a shame since Cupid Stunt didn't show up till then.

Edit; Apparently the BBC have been working on a Kenny Everett biopic, called Number One In Heaven, which I guess will please both fans of Everett, and fans of the band Sparks.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 13, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Akuma posted:

Who the gently caress cares guys I mean poo poo it's just writing about TV shows!

Talking about watching TV is very serious business.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

SeanBeansShako posted:

So Harry Hill did inspire somebody else to do that!

I'd rather spend a day with Simon Bodkin than be in a room with Russel Brand anyways.

I've seen Simon Bodkin live in Edinburgh before (once as Lee Nelson, the other doing a whole load of different characters) and he was really funny. I've never seen his show though, it's on BBC3 and that's all I need to know. When he performs live a lot of it is just improv and talking to the crowd, so maybe doesn't work on telly.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Leyburn posted:

I've seen Simon Bodkin live in Edinburgh before (once as Lee Nelson, the other doing a whole load of different characters) and he was really funny. I've never seen his show though, it's on BBC3 and that's all I need to know. When he performs live a lot of it is just improv and talking to the crowd, so maybe doesn't work on telly.

I think what I liked about him compared to other TV comedy chavs is that he's not as outright nasty as Vicky Pollard or that Catherine Tate "bovvered" girl. He's got this total good-natured self-delusion that he's an okay and harmless guy, and all his exploits are told in a cheery "what a laugh that was" kind of manner.

I just tend to like really deluded but awful characters in comedy, which is part of why I love Chris Lilley so much, since he excels at ludicrous people played totally straight and with no apparent capacity for self-awareness.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

The Great British Bake Off is doing pies tonight, expect some interesting flavour combinations, and for Yasmin to be predictably shite.

It's on now! I'm hoping for some majorly pie-shaped disasters tonight (preferably from Tom, who is really irritating me. I think it's the way his artfully tousled hair always threatens to flop into whatever it is he's baking)

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
I wanna eat all them pies right now. I kind of annoyed that the final bake is meringues rather than like a basket of miniature pastries or something. Who the gently caress eats meringue pies?

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Get the woman who talked about deconstructing her salmon and asparagus pie off the telly. I'll take another week of both Janet's annoying reaction shot to everything the judges say and that stupid floppy haired idiot who keeps on ruining things just to get rid of someone who thinks cooking two things and then putting them near each other somehow counts as being really clever about food.

I am angry. Angry about baking.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Lee Mack completely loving ruined this week's Q.I.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Firing Cirrus posted:

Get the woman who talked about deconstructing her salmon and asparagus pie off the telly. I'll take another week of both Janet's annoying reaction shot to everything the judges say and that stupid floppy haired idiot who keeps on ruining things just to get rid of someone who thinks cooking two things and then putting them near each other somehow counts as being really clever about food.

I am angry. Angry about baking.

Yeah, it was basically just a circle of sad dry pastry and a dish of fish goo, what the hell was up with that? Wanna try Janet & Mary Annes' pork pies though, they looked gorgeous.

Also, does anyone else think Paul is a bit of a silver fox?

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock

Junkenstein posted:

Wouldn't be the first time. If I remember right he was on the last series and sucked terribly.

Jimmy Carr fits on there quite well so I quite like when they bring him back, he's fairly quick witted and can use his one liners in a decent situation.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Wormophile posted:

I wanna eat all them pies right now. I kind of annoyed that the final bake is meringues rather than like a basket of miniature pastries or something. Who the gently caress eats meringue pies?

I take it you've never had lemon meringue pie, which is loving delicious :colbert:

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
I'm eating a meringue nest while watching tgbbo IT'S LIKE I'M THERE
Also I guess I fancy Sue Perkins now??

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Wormophile posted:

I'm eating a meringue nest while watching tgbbo IT'S LIKE I'M THERE

Everyone in their right mind fancies Sue Perkins just a little bit.

Also, floppy-haired Tom needs to be chucked off, just because of his awful timekeeping skills. Every week he's late and panicking.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Wormophile posted:

Oh thank god I'm not alone.

Apparently I consider the capacity to poke fun at Giles Coren a deeply attractive trait.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
She's got a sexy librarian vibe, definitely not a thing to be ashamed of.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Irisi posted:

Everyone in their right mind fancies Sue Perkins just a little bit.

Also, floppy-haired Tom needs to be chucked off, just because of his awful timekeeping skills. Every week he's late and panicking.
I tuned in at half-past for the first time ever, but isn't his name Rob? Also he's annoyed me already!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Yasmin is becoming the Wagner of this show.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Akuma posted:

I tuned in at half-past for the first time ever, but isn't his name Rob? Also he's annoyed me already!

Rob, Tom, whatever his name is, he's a bit of a eejit. He got warned repeatedly and continued to bugger things up.

He definitely deserved to be given the push (will miss Jason though, he was a lovely lad).

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Mary-Anne/Holly finale I'm calling it now.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
Anyone watching thie Keith Allen Body Farm hingmy?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Wormophile posted:

Yeah, they're both pretty consistently good, though Holly does go a bit wobbly and overemotional sometimes.

Yasmin has to go next week though. She's just a bit rubbish all round.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Sky One is really pushing the comedy thing lately. Along with the okayish supermarket comedy Trollied, and the upcoming grown-up Balamory of This is Jinty, I just saw an advert for another upcoming Spy, which would appear to be Britain's answer to Get Smart (I'd say Archer, but it'd have to be pretty drat funny for that comparison). With a new Johnny English on the way, it might be quite well-timed to pick up the British spy comedy audience.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Leyburn posted:

Did anyone watch that Fred West thing? I thought it was pretty good. It was kinda creepy how much Dominic West resembled him at times.

I watched the second part this evening, didn't seem as good as the first part but was impressed they did at least include the fact she perjured herself at the trial. I mentioned in my post after part one that I was amazed at how close D West looked like F West in the pictures they did for it. Brave bit of telly making from ITV for once, wasn't anywhere near as exploitative as I expected and I suspect it won't have gone down too well with average telly watcher but would be happy to be wrong on that count. Anything that however briefly stops the flood of reality shite or horrific gameshows.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The problem with the second part is not enough Rose West and Fred West tops himself. The actress who played Rose West did an excellent job with the scenes she had, she came across as just being a terrible and cruel person, even before you find out the details of what she actually did.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Wormophile posted:

I can see Mary-Anne in the final because she seems to come up with pointlessly bizzare ways of approaching things on the day, which, if they work, can be heralded as genius.

Also, Mary Berry is great & I'm ordering the Mary Berry's Baking Bible by Mary Berry because she seems to be 100% baking knowledge arranged in human form.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Brown Moses posted:

The problem with the second part is not enough Rose West and Fred West tops himself. The actress who played Rose West did an excellent job with the scenes she had, she came across as just being a terrible and cruel person, even before you find out the details of what she actually did.

Yes, considering how little she did have to play with as Rose onscreen she did pretty well, came across as completely unhinged over the slightest thing.

The second part seemed much different in tone as well, the odd bit of dark humour was missing and it didn't really seem to go anywhere. I guess it's left to viewer judgement to decide just how much was bullshit and how much was truth. Hopefully the stories about the barn were just bullshit to try and impress her >.<

I don't want to do nothing but complain though, it was an interesting watch and show cased Dominic West better than his The Hour turn which whilst still good was pretty much a British 1950's McNulty.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
My feeling was that he made up the stuff about the barn to draw her in and keep her involved with him, as I think he understood that the more information he gave to her, the closer she got to him.

It's hard to say though, because he was obviously a loving maniac.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Junkenstein posted:

He's really not suited to QI. The only northerner who is is Johnny Vegas

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
I don't really see where Rose West could have fitted in. The story was hinged on the Appropriate Adult, her reactions and involvement. It was all from her point of view, which worked quite well in giving an outsider's view of the police situtation that the viewer could sympathise with.

Though I do think whoever played Rose West did a great job and it was a shame the story didn't allow us to see her more.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Some of you will probably groan at this but Richard Herring tweeted a couple days ago that the Collins and Herring Podcast might be back soon. So either he's committed to the lie pointlessly or they really are still friends.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

He's really not suited to QI. The only northerner who is is Johnny Vegas

I would say Ross Noble is as well.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
He is Australian.

*folds arms*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

thebardyspoon posted:

Some of you will probably groan at this but Richard Herring tweeted a couple days ago that the Collins and Herring Podcast might be back soon. So either he's committed to the lie pointlessly or they really are still friends.

Maybe he's taking revenge and giving us Collings and Herrin (not original Collings).
Am I mad in thinking that the elimination formula doesn't go well with TGBBO? It's the industry standard, and gives every episode a bit of a spike at the end, but throughout this episode, I was wondering what the ginger weirdo they ousted last week would serve up. Also, it would stop them throwing in obviously crap cooks who are just good at fretting over being given the boot.
e: shifted a g around

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 13, 2011