Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Speaking of minor annoyances, my shield constantly fogs on the bench, and--from my perspective anyways--most people don't have this problem to the extent that I do. I've tried 'visor wash' (total waste of money), dish soap, shaving cream etc. and nothing seems to help much. Does my body just emit an abnormal level of heat, or does this happen to everyone?

(As far as the "sweat getting in my eyes" thing, it's never bothered me enough to do something about it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I am trying to quit smoking. This is either 1. The 3rd real day of not having a cigarette at all (using the patch). or 2. The start of the second week of me wearing the patch and taking it off and smoking at night on weekend

I don't feel much difference other than being angrier than usual or REALLY REALLY wanting a loving cigarette when I drive. Oh, and feeling really anxious a lot. Or when I want to get away from work for a few minutes.

I don't know how the gently caress I'm gonna cope this year without having my nicorade before/after the game to calm down.

edit:

Gio posted:

Speaking of minor annoyances, my shield constantly fogs on the bench, and--from my perspective anyways--most people don't have this problem to the extent that I do. I've tried 'visor wash' (total waste of money), dish soap, shaving cream etc. and nothing seems to help much. Does my body just emit an abnormal level of heat, or does this happen to everyone?

You can try rubbing visor in spit, using some other anti-fog products like the poo poo divers use, or Rain-X anti fog. People swear by whatever and I'm a little afraid to try the Rain-X unless they are the wipes.

Bottom line, Anti Fog poo poo will only help so much when there's no loving air flow. So, get a paper fan or something and wave it under your face when you're on the bench. Sure you'll (racist comment here) but, better than not being able to see!

Or get a box fan for the bench.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 13, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

It has less to do with the heat you're radiating and more to do with ambient temperature differences.. the visor gets cool while you're on the ice moving around. Go to the bench, no more wind chill, and condensation starts. I'm sure body heat has some impact on it, but losing the wind chill plays a bigger part.

Having been a four-eyes since I was ten years old, the only thing I've ever found that helps with fogging is moving air. Keep the visor as clean and oil-free as possible. You'll still fog up but it'll clear up in a few seconds after getting back on the ice.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pledge works very well to reduce fogging. Not kidding.

I use lemon

edit - also tilt your visor up a bit so your nose isn't breathing right on it

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Insanely dumb question: Any brand standard blade will fit on any other brand's standard shaft, right?

I have Bauer shafts, but don't like how they only have one blade in a lie 5. Everything else is a 6+.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 13, 2011

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Insanely dumb question: Any brand standard blade will fit on any other brand's standard shaft, right?

I have Bauer shafts, but don't like how they only have one blade in a lie 5. Everything else is a 6+. Anything higher than a lie 5 in Bauer and I lose stick tape at the heel. The 5 wears evenly.
Yes, they're all compatible. What blade shape, out of curiosity? I've been looking for a low-lie closed-toe blade for awhile, and they're difficult to find because nobody likes either of those. Apparently the banana blade is essential for beer league defensemen these days.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Robo-Pope posted:

Yes, they're all compatible. What blade shape, out of curiosity? I've been looking for a low-lie closed-toe blade for awhile, and they're difficult to find because nobody likes either of those. Apparently the banana blade is essential for beer league defensemen these days.

I'm currently running a Bauer Stamkos/Malkin PM9 , lie 5. I'm looking for something a bit more open, and I'm not a huge fan of the mid-heel curve. I like it a bit more mid-toe.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

Robo-Pope posted:

I use a Recchi, which I think CCM has now been rebranded Tavares. Lie is perfect for a defenseman who like plays with a slightly longer stick, and the curve offers good close-to-the-ice control for point shots. Also, check out the Warrior blades as well. They're all pretty low (4-5), and a few of them are closed. Haven't used any, so I can't speak for them directly, though. I once borrowed someone's Heatley (Easton) after my stick broke, and that played pretty close to a Recchi, with a square toe instead of rounded.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 13, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The lie isn't consistent between brands, is it? I really like the Warrior Draper.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

The lie isn't consistent between brands, is it? I really like the Warrior Draper.

http://www.hockeygiant.com/bladechart.html?gclid=CICRsbnUmqsCFacaQgod-XrDHQ

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The best way to fix fogging is to wear your helmet properly and wear a cage

edit: not to sound like 'that guy' but it is pretty funny to see people actually ask if quitting smoking will help them in a heavily cardiovascular athletic activity

sellouts fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 13, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I guess my question was, does lie 4 in Warrior = lie 4 in every other brand? Is the angle consistent between same lies of different brands?

I thought I've read stuff to the contrary earlier in this thread...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Welp thats it. We won our inline league championship.

We played our semi final game last night at 7 and won 12-6. We then played the championship game at 9 and won 7-4. I was completely surprised by the outcome of the season considering we were a brand new team. We're thinking that we will probably move up to gold next season since this year wasn't as challenging as we could have handled. On a dork note, its the first championship I've ever won.

We took the beach barrel to the bar with us afterward and had a victory party. The bar that sponsors us even threw in a bottle of champagne.

My liver hurts today.

And yes we drank from the cup. What beer league inline hockey team wouldn't if they had the chance?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Verman posted:

We played our semi final game last night at 7 and won 12-6. We then played the championship game at 9 and won 7-4. I was completely surprised by the outcome of the season considering we were a brand new team. We're thinking that we will probably move up to gold next season since this year wasn't as challenging as we could have handled. On a dork note, its the first championship I've ever won.

We took the beach barrel to the bar with us afterward and had a victory party. The bar that sponsors us even threw in a bottle of champagne.

My liver hurts today.

And yes we drank from the cup. What beer league inline hockey team wouldn't if they had the chance?

That rules. Congrats.

Blade chat: I think lie is a universal measurement among hockey blades. Lie 4 in bauer is the same as lie 4 in Warrior, CCM, Easton etc. Same with the taper/standard hosel. I think standard is a 0.620 measurement and tapered is 0.520 for replaceable blades.

Does anyone know of a cheap (~$35) tapered blade? It seems all tapered blades are always 50-60$ on average

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
Is that rink outside?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

poser posted:

Is that rink outside?

Yes, its on the beach in Chicago. Its sport court like any other roller facility but its getting old and could use some fresh tiles. Also sand. They usually do a good job of keeping the surface clean but on a beach its next to impossible.

Its a great place to play in the summer because of the ambience and eye candy, think of all the hot girls we've seen running by ... This place is awesome for summers because during the off nights of the week, those of us who know eachother and play often will get together and have a session and then grill out/drink afterwards and enjoy the beach during the summer.

Absolutely no better way to spend a summer evening. Hockey followed by beers and brats with eye candy constantly parading past the rink.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Verman posted:

That is awesome and I wish we had a freaking cup.

As for lie, it is indeed a standard measurement. Lie 5 has become sort of the standard, it is a 135 degree angle between the stick and blade. Each subsequent number is 2 degrees difference, moving inversely. In other words, a 6 is 133, 7 is 131, a 4 lie is 135, etc. There might be a little variation between manfacturers but this is supposed to be a standard.

If my math is right, for a standard length stick that comes out to a little over an inch difference in height at the end of the shaft.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Verman posted:

My liver hurts today.

So that's what Turco has been doing

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

we had a bedpan for the last place team, wasn't nearly as sweet drinking from that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Almost all of Warrior's blades look like they were designed by Ed Hardy. Thank god for stick tape.

And whoever mentioned patterned tape yesterday, here ya go:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/phat-shin-guard-tape.html

Wrap your poo poo up in tribal tape!

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 13, 2011

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Almost all of Warrior's blades look like they were designed by Ed Hardy. Thank god for stick tape.

Warrior designs all of their gear to appeal to douchey 13-year olds, but some of their equipment is still good. I'm interested to see if Pete Smith will make their goalie gear worthwhile.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Verman posted:

That is a sweet as gently caress cup. Congrats.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Robo-Pope posted:

That is a sweet as gently caress cup. Congrats.

Yeah its actually pretty heavy too, close to 30-40 lbs. Its constructed of a Heineken keg, a mini keg, and a stainless mixing bowl.

It's gooney as gently caress but thats the fun about playing hockey is that nobody else will understand the childish feelings of skating around a rink with a Heineken keg trophy that remotely resembles the stanley cup. We certainly didn't live it up like the Hawks after they won, but its about the closest thing I've had to it. I had more fun last night than I have in a long time.

Hockey, best sport in the world.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The trophy for our division was about the size of a pint glass and the gold paint inside started flaking off when we poured beer into it in the locker room.

We still drank from it. Nobody (immediately) got sick.

A 30 pound keg cup sounds glorious.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Ours is a pony-keg with a bowl stuck on the top of it. Last season we lost in the championship game and we're dead-set on redeeming ourselves this season.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
My league has a different trophy for each division but I dont know what any of them look like:smith:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
So I got new gloves today, first game of the season is late tonight.

They feel so nice, and they aren't all cloth which I like. they uhh, fit like gloves?

5 minutes after buying the gloves I get a call that I need to be on the next flight to LA for work.

Damnit.

In other news, I pre-ordered some Vapor x7.0 LE's yesterday. I'm finally giving up on my TotalOnes, they just rip up my ankles too much.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

D C posted:

5 minutes after buying the gloves I get a call that I need to be on the next flight to LA for work.

Damnit.

Wear them. The TSA loves hockey players.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Green Submarine posted:

Wear them. The TSA loves hockey players.

They won't let me on the plane with them, they are weapons.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

D C posted:

They feel so nice, and they aren't all cloth which I like. they uhh, fit like gloves?

Damnit.

In other news, I pre-ordered some Vapor x7.0 LE's yesterday. I'm finally giving up on my TotalOnes, they just rip up my ankles too much.

What size are you using on those TO's eh eh?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Acethomas posted:

What size are you using on those TO's eh eh?

10EE Anyone want them cheap?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Surfing Turtle posted:

I know this was discussed but I can't find it in the thread. I have a problem with sweat just getting all up in my eyes while I play. My goalie mask has like this sweatband in it but my regular helmet does not. Do most of you guys just wear like a bandana when you have this issue? I was looking into the Underarmour one do any of you use it?

I will answer this one with the whole "what do you drink during a game" question, too.

I bring a gallon jug of water to the game. I drink probably 2 gallons of water a day plus lots of tea. I live in the high rockies (very arid, dry environment) so maybe that's why I consume so much. I am also 6'7" and 230lbs, so lots of water helps me not die promptly beyond my first shift.

During a game I drink about 1/2 to 3/4 a gallon of water and also dump some of the jug in my face to wash sweat out of my eyes. I have a birdcage so I just knock my head back and dump it into my face. It's a good reason to bring a full gallon. I also don't have to refill my bottle between periods, which is nice.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

19 o'clock posted:

I will answer this one with the whole "what do you drink during a game" question, too.

I bring a gallon jug of water to the game. I drink probably 2 gallons of water a day plus lots of tea. I live in the high rockies (very arid, dry environment) so maybe that's why I consume so much. I am also 6'7" and 230lbs, so lots of water helps me not die promptly beyond my first shift.

During a game I drink about 1/2 to 3/4 a gallon of water and also dump some of the jug in my face to wash sweat out of my eyes. I have a birdcage so I just knock my head back and dump it into my face. It's a good reason to bring a full gallon. I also don't have to refill my bottle between periods, which is nice.

I drink water in my gatorade bottle nothing fancy. This doesn't help when the sweat is pouring down my face while im still skating. I mean no big deal when I'm on the bench I can just wipe my face down or whatever. Just annoying when you're skating and looking around and the drat sweat is all up on your eyes!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Surfing Turtle posted:

I drink water in my gatorade bottle nothing fancy. This doesn't help when the sweat is pouring down my face while im still skating. I mean no big deal when I'm on the bench I can just wipe my face down or whatever. Just annoying when you're skating and looking around and the drat sweat is all up on your eyes!

Get bushier eyebrows. :colbert:

My sweat conveniently runs down the side of my face.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Jesus you guys drink a lot of water. I'm surprised you don't cramp up. I usually drink a bottle of Gatorade over the course of an hour. Seems plenty.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Jesus you guys drink a lot of water. I'm surprised you don't cramp up. I usually drink a bottle of Gatorade over the course of an hour. Seems plenty.

I usually just bring my 32-40oz hockey bottle and that serves me well. I never run out, have enough if someone else snags it once or twice. I cant imagine drinking too much water, it would slosh around and feel terrible. I also just try to drink less pop/juice during the day and more water when I know I'm going to be playing hockey. Seems to work every time. Sometimes I will mix 50/50 water gatorade if I have it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have two 32oz Gatorade bottles that I use a 50/50 mix of water and either G2 or Powerade Zero.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ok I want these.

Only $820 to look like old school Gretz. :(

Also they actually used the term "pimp my skates". The hell.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
You can dye the runner yourself...

Something with boiling water + Rid Dye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

D C posted:

Damnit.

Those are not Eagles. For shame. They look nice though. Hopefully they serve you well and don't crap out anytime soon.