Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Ridleys Revenge posted:

E: Additionally, to explain for those who don't know, guys like Okano, Koga and Yamashita are basically hailed as gods of competitive judo, because they brought a traditional judo attitude into what was essentially a hostile environment: Olympic competitions that were so muddled by regulations and weight classes and a fanatical desire to please ignorant spectators that good judo was rarely seen even in their time, and they all lament that it is basically nonexistent in the competitive scene today.

I've only recently re-entered the Judo scene. But what exactly do you mean by "traditional judo attitude"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

If you wanna see a hilariously awesome Judo attitude, check Kosei Inoue's attitude.

Interviewer: So whats your game plan during a shiai?

Inoue: Well, I want to throw my opponent for ippon

Interviewer: How do you go about that?

Inoue: well, I grab him, and then I throw him.

EZPZ

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
Every attack should have the intent to win the fight/kill the opponent or he won't be forced to defend it.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Explain leg kicks, jabs, sweeps.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I can reach the zen state of no-mind while playing counter strike (because I'm scandinavian). How can I transfer this magical ability to BJJ??

Also, I think someone posted the ryan hall hip-bump triangle here (or Ryangle, if you will), and I've been using the poo poo out of it. What a wonderful technique.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I must admit that I'm quite enjoying the derail!

Bohemian Nights posted:

Also, I think someone posted the ryan hall hip-bump triangle here (or Ryangle, if you will), and I've been using the poo poo out of it. What a wonderful technique.

yeah it looks awesome, I can't wait to try it. Did you need to drill it a lot for it to work ok or did you just start using it during rolling/randori?

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 10, 2011

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.
Do any of you have kids that train? My daughter is just turning four, and she's old enough to start training at a really good Judo school, Mayo Quanchi. I've spoken with the instructor, and he suggests that we watch several classes before signing her up so she feels comfortable. I totally agree. I'm just nervous about her shying away from doing it because of the contact. She's not very aggressive, and I'm not exactly sending her to Fred Villari's School of Interpretive Dance. I feel confident in the instructors, but I'm wondering what you've done as parents to encourage your kids. I'm thinking of joining with her, because my BJJ can definitely use some Judo.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

fidgit posted:

Do any of you have kids that train? My daughter is just turning four, and she's old enough to start training at a really good Judo school, Mayo Quanchi. I've spoken with the instructor, and he suggests that we watch several classes before signing her up so she feels comfortable. I totally agree. I'm just nervous about her shying away from doing it because of the contact. She's not very aggressive, and I'm not exactly sending her to Fred Villari's School of Interpretive Dance. I feel confident in the instructors, but I'm wondering what you've done as parents to encourage your kids. I'm thinking of joining with her, because my BJJ can definitely use some Judo.

See if they have kids-parent classes sometime, kids tend to love these and would probably help keep her motivated knowing that she'll get to do that with you occasionally. I'm not a parent, but judo for kids that young is really them playing games. If she makes friends, she'll enjoy going to judo since it's basically an hour of playing with her friends in funny clothes on a huge soft surface

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
The ultimate revelation in boxing is that instead of fearing getting struck, you should headbutt against the strikes.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Yamashita himself is a proponent of the "always commit fully to each attack" philosophy, so I'm interested to see you bringing him up Thoguh. Also do you honestly think I said combos are bad or are you just trolling? Finally, we may not be perfect but we must always strive for perfection- anything less is bad judo.

Combos don't mean that you do a "fake" attack and then a "real" attack. You commit to the first attack and if they perform a common reaction that nullifies that attack then you follow up with another committed attack. My instructor gave an example yesterday where a failed butterfly sweep usually opens up either a transition to x-guard or a submission. Even if the attack failed it had a purpose.

quote:

Little girls are usually taught to not be physical, but they enjoy it just as much as anyone else after they get used to the idea that it isn't "wrong" or anything. I'd try to make her go to at least 3-4 classes (unless she has a hugely negative reaction) and then see how she likes it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Have any of those top judo guys been beat by that Mongolian that was double legging everyone?

Ligur posted:

The ultimate revelation in boxing is that instead of fearing getting struck, you should headbutt against the strikes.

That works except for the hardest punching 20% of people. In those cases, you risk hurting your neck or getting rocked anyway.

AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh
What is the best resource for finding a place to pick up a martial art in my area? I live in Austin, Texas and I am really interested in Sambo and Krav Maga. As far as Sambo is concerned I would be really interested in competing eventually, so I guess I am looking for sport or hybrid sambo? I used to wrestle in middle school and I loved it, but I was really twiggy for a long time and just got rocked constantly since everyone was considerably heavier than me. Now that I am average sized, I really want to get back into a grappling sport and see what happens.

Krav Maga is more difficult, since obviously you won't be competing with it, and honestly its just something that has always intrigued me and I just want to try it out and get a grasp on the building blocks of self defense (I'm not trying to be some badass IDF operator or anything). I've heard that it is hard to find a good school for Krav outside of Israel though, and that a lot of places that offer it are really unqualified. Obviously I'd look for places that offered free classes and try to get a feel for them, but it still seems like it would be easy to trick a total newbie into thinking the instruction is more effective than it really is.

I guess I'm looking for some kind of database where I can search for classes in my area, preferably with reviews or something.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Krav Maga is more difficult, since obviously you won't be competing with it, and honestly its just something that has always intrigued me and I just want to try it out and get a grasp on the building blocks of self defense (I'm not trying to be some badass IDF operator or anything). I've heard that it is hard to find a good school for Krav outside of Israel though, and that a lot of places that offer it are really unqualified. Obviously I'd look for places that offered free classes and try to get a feel for them, but it still seems like it would be easy to trick a total newbie into thinking the instruction is more effective than it really is.

I was really, really pleased with the Austin krav school on South Congress. I trained there for a year and a half, about 5 days a week. The krav school in Dallas I'm at now blows loving rear end by comparison. Once you get the basics down, get involved in the Saturday open gyms and get some sparring in. It's muay thai style sparring and I'm able to do decently well against most of the muay thai practitioners I've sparred in Dallas (except for the pros).

The only lovely thing is they will give you a hard sell the first time you come in, so get ready for it.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 10, 2011

AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh

CaptainScraps posted:

I was really, really pleased with the Austin krav school on South Congress. I trained there for a year and a half, about 5 days a week. The krav school in Dallas I'm at now blows loving rear end by comparison. Once you get the basics down, get involved in the Saturday open gyms and get some sparring in. It's muay thai style sparring and I'm able to do decently well against most of the muay thai practitioners I've sparred in Dallas (except for the pros).

The only lovely thing is they will give you a hard sell the first time you come in, so get ready for it.

Cool, I'll look into them for sure then. And by hard sell do you mean they are really pushy in trying to get you to join? Do they have a free class to try out? Are the rates reasonable and do you recall if they do month to month or is it all contract? I don't mind pressure to join since if I enjoy it and they are a good school they won't have to try very hard to take my money.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

KingColliwog posted:

I must admit that I'm quite enjoying the derail!

yeah it looks awesome, I can't wait to try it. Did you need to drill it a lot for it to work ok or did you just start using it during rolling/randori?

I'm lucky enough that I managed to convert my roommate to jiu jitsu (if your friend is a stoner, introducing jiu jitsu through eddie bravo and joe rogan is almost too easy), so I have someone readily available to drill techniques with. We drilled it a few times in the living room, so I had some practice before I actually brought it to the mat.

It's a surprisingly easy technique to pull off if your triangle is already solid, and not something a lot of people expect if they haven't seen it before-- the key, I feel, is actually committing to that hip bump sweep, because if they don't counter like they should, you get the top mount instead of the triangle, anyway!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

kimbo305 posted:

That works except for the hardest punching 20% of people. In those cases, you risk hurting your neck or getting rocked anyway.

True, true, but when sparring even those monsters are not going 100% and you can usually absorb it. In a fight I guess you'd have to... gauge the damage a bit beforehand.

But headbutting strikes is IMO excellent advice for any newbie who starts sparring and is afraid of getting clocked by - you know - just about everyone. I will from this day onwards preach this to everyone who wants to learn boxing with other beginners but is horribly afraid of getting touched. For most cases it's good advice. [And in this case headbutting strikes just means lower your jaw and put your forehead in front of it with good posture, but many people learn better with an "image" of a movement of sorts, nobody probably thinks you should, for example, catch strikes with your head... I hope...]

Ligur fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 10, 2011

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

AbdominalSnowman posted:

What is the best resource for finding a place to pick up a martial art in my area? I live in Austin, Texas and I am really interested in Sambo and Krav Maga.

I just have to ask, why Sambo and Krav? Sambo is pretty good but any place with BJJ that has a reasonable wrestling emphasis or a judo place should teach grappling that's just as good and they'll be a ton easier to find. There's nothing wrong with sambo if you find a good place but it's not that popular in the US. Krav is kind of weird because it's basically just a way to fit MMA into an RBSD shell and one of the problems with RBSD is the assumption that you can take a person down with 1-2 hits, which is not something you can assume.

No offense, but it sounds like you basically want an MMA gym. Something that teaches some combination of Muay Thai, Boxing, Wrestling and BJJ (or similar). If you find a great Krav place that's cool (and it sounds like there might be one around you) but I'd open your options up a bit.

I also had to laugh at this. They way you beat a takedown is to have the attacker make a flying lunge where he literally has no contact with the ground. This is pretty indicative of the stuff I saw at the KM place I went to, which seemed like it was focused on soccer moms more than anything.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Cool, I'll look into them for sure then. And by hard sell do you mean they are really pushy in trying to get you to join? Do they have a free class to try out? Are the rates reasonable and do you recall if they do month to month or is it all contract? I don't mind pressure to join since if I enjoy it and they are a good school they won't have to try very hard to take my money.

Yep, yep, and it's unfortunately a year contract. One of the instructors was friends with an Austin goon and he got a lot of us into it.

NovemberMike posted:

I also had to laugh at this. They way you beat a takedown is to have the attacker make a flying lunge where he literally has no contact with the ground. This is pretty indicative of the stuff I saw at the KM place I went to, which seemed like it was focused on soccer moms more than anything.

I'm probably one of the most critical of krav in this thread and I practice it. A lot of schools are poo poo.

A year in a half in Austin actually made me better than some of the fully certified instructors in Dallas. :sigh:

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 10, 2011

AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh

NovemberMike posted:

I just have to ask, why Sambo and Krav? Sambo is pretty good but any place with BJJ that has a reasonable wrestling emphasis or a judo place should teach grappling that's just as good and they'll be a ton easier to find. There's nothing wrong with sambo if you find a good place but it's not that popular in the US. Krav is kind of weird because it's basically just a way to fit MMA into an RBSD shell and one of the problems with RBSD is the assumption that you can take a person down with 1-2 hits, which is not something you can assume.

No offense, but it sounds like you basically want an MMA gym. Something that teaches some combination of Muay Thai, Boxing, Wrestling and BJJ (or similar). If you find a great Krav place that's cool (and it sounds like there might be one around you) but I'd open your options up a bit.

I wouldn't mind BJJ either, but the reasons I was looking at Sambo I guess are: 1) I read about it a while back and really enjoyed the history / lineage of the style, and 2) I'm not trying to be an MMA fighter or anything. I enjoy grappling a lot more than striking and maybe I'm totally wrong but I've always been under the assumption that BJJ works in a lot of striking too. I wouldn't mind doing BJJ on the side and I fully expect to work on some striking no matter what I do, but the uniqueness of Sambo kind of drew my eye. I have some Russian heritage too, and although that isn't a deciding factor at all, it would be kind of neat in that regard.

As for Krav, I will fully admit my interest in it stems from it looking fun and cool as hell rather than from any practical standpoint. I doubt I would ever use it in self-defense (and I hope not) since I'd rather just run when I can help it, but in the end I just want to see how it operates as a combat system and learn about how to adapt to organic situations. I used to do TKD an although it was relaxing and took focus to make all of those precise movements, it always struck me as being more "flashy" than practical and I knew after a couple of sessions that trying to use anything similar to TKD in an actual fight would get me rocked badly. And even with things like BJJ, you are definitely reacting to situations constantly, but it isn't like someone is going to pull a gun in the middle of a match or something. I just want to see the way Krav approaches situations like that since it is kind of unique in the martial arts world. I'd never want to be in a situation to see if they worked, but I figure the classes might be fun and if I take away anything that I ever get to apply to a real-world scenario well then that's just a bonus. Hopefully some of that made sense. (comedy answer: it would also be a good way to pick up women at bars)

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

AbdominalSnowman posted:

I wouldn't mind BJJ either, but the reasons I was looking at Sambo I guess are: 1) I read about it a while back and really enjoyed the history / lineage of the style, and 2) I'm not trying to be an MMA fighter or anything. I enjoy grappling a lot more than striking and maybe I'm totally wrong but I've always been under the assumption that BJJ works in a lot of striking too. I wouldn't mind doing BJJ on the side and I fully expect to work on some striking no matter what I do, but the uniqueness of Sambo kind of drew my eye. I have some Russian heritage too, and although that isn't a deciding factor at all, it would be kind of neat in that regard.

I think you might have mixed those up. Sport Sambo is basically Judo with some extra takedowns and no chokes IIRC, Combat Sambo is pretty much MMA with strikes and everything and BJJ is pure grappling, to the extent that they often undertrain takedowns (this isn't inherent to the system, but most places I've been to will have "wrestling" once a week and everything else starts on the ground and ends on the ground).

quote:

As for Krav, I will fully admit my interest in it stems from it looking fun and cool as hell rather than from any practical standpoint. I doubt I would ever use it in self-defense (and I hope not) since I'd rather just run when I can help it, but in the end I just want to see how it operates as a combat system and learn about how to adapt to organic situations. I used to do TKD an although it was relaxing and took focus to make all of those precise movements, it always struck me as being more "flashy" than practical and I knew after a couple of sessions that trying to use anything similar to TKD in an actual fight would get me rocked badly. And even with things like BJJ, you are definitely reacting to situations constantly, but it isn't like someone is going to pull a gun in the middle of a match or something. I just want to see the way Krav approaches situations like that since it is kind of unique in the martial arts world. I'd never want to be in a situation to see if they worked, but I figure the classes might be fun and if I take away anything that I ever get to apply to a real-world scenario well then that's just a bonus. Hopefully some of that made sense. (comedy answer: it would also be a good way to pick up women at bars)

Krav as it's taught in America basically just the application of Boxing or Muay Thai to what somebody thought were "realistic' situations. This can be good if the instructors have good boxing/muay thai but a lot of them are terrible and they tend to make bad "reality" assumptions, especially with respect to Grappling and how damaging striking is (most will tend to assume that a single combo will force someone away). The stuff that's proven for real self defense is good fundamentals, which you'll get better practice in a dedicated striking art like Muay Thai and a dedicated Grappling Art like BJJ (you can usually train both at any MMA gym).

EDTI: TKD generally isn't respected because it tends towards acrobatic kicks that aren't actually as effective as a lot of Muay Thai or practical Karate kicks and bad punches, both done in a point-fighting system.

EDIT2: I haven't gone to any of these schools and I don't live in Texas, but here's some gyms that I'd use as examples of MMA gyms.

http://www.mma4austin.com/calendar.html
This place looks like it has BJJ at least once (and often 2-3 times) a day with striking classes or classes designed to mixed grappling and striking pretty often.

http://www.pmaaustin.com/class/adults
Not sure about this place, couldn't find a schedule.

http://southaustingym.com/
Looks like they have BJJ, kickboxing, muay thai and boxing, in addition to a full gym.

http://ifaacademy.com/class-schedule/
This place looks like they have BJJ, Muay Thai and Escrima (Filipino Knife and Stick fighting).

That's a decent set to look at, you can find plenty more by googling.

NovemberMike fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 11, 2011

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
Austin dude: check out Vandry BJJ http://austinbjj.com

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Blazebro420 posted:

Austin dude: check out Vandry BJJ http://austinbjj.com

There's a comprehensive list over at TXMMA.

http://www.txmma.com/schools/

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Won my fight/got fight of the night!!!

And goddamn stomach cramps kept me from throwing any decent kicks without incredible gassy pain. Ended up farting like crazy in the ring, could have been an unfair advantage.

And his corner called me a ginger between rounds :(

edit: I'll get the video up later, but thanks for the support guys!

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Fontoyn posted:

Congrats!

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Fontoyn posted:

And goddamn stomach cramps kept me from throwing any decent kicks without incredible gassy pain. Ended up farting like crazy in the ring, could have been an unfair advantage.

And his corner called me a ginger between rounds :(

edit: I'll get the video up later, but thanks for the support guys!

Congrats?

Were they stress farts? If I was fighting someone and he throw a solid kick with a loud "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT" I would probably lose my concentration laughing.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Omglosser posted:

Congrats?

Were they stress farts? If I was fighting someone and he throw a solid kick with a loud "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT" I would probably lose my concentration laughing.

The short version is that I ate at a shady diner the night before my fight and they gave me a nasty case of stomach flu or food poisoning.

I'd spent the last night up vomiting pepto bismol and trying to talk myself out of the fight.

That morning, I couldn't drink gatorade without vomiting, so I did nothing but chug propel 0 until noon, where I had a couple pieces of toast.

I took cat naps during the other fights (I was bout 5) and came out feeling alright.

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 11, 2011

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Fontoyn posted:

The short version is that I ate at a shady diner the night before my fight and they gave me a nasty case of stomach flu or food poisoning.

I'd spent the last night up vomiting pepto bismol and trying to talk myself out of the fight.

That morning, I couldn't drink gatorade without vomiting, so I did nothing but chug propel 0 until noon, where I had a couple pieces of toast.

I took cat naps during the other fights (I was bout 5) and came out feeling alright.

drat, I'd totally be afraid of fire water coming out during the bout. Congrats on the win and getting fight of the night! KO? TKO? Decision?...

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Congratulations on your win, Fontoyn! Looking forwards to the video, but I know all I will be thinking about the entire time is you farting in the ring.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Fontoyn posted:

you got fight of the night after barfing for 24hrs? thats impressive man

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bangkero posted:

drat, I'd totally be afraid of fire water coming out during the bout. Congrats on the win and getting fight of the night! KO? TKO? Decision?...

Split decision win. I really did try to knock him out, but goddamn was it hard.

Bohemian posted:

Congratulations on your win, Fontoyn! Looking forwards to the video, but I know all I will be thinking about the entire time is you farting in the ring.

I desperately wanted to tell someone about it after they announced my win. Like, as I was leaving the ring, I yelled something to the effect of "can you smell my gas, man?" at my corner.

mewse posted:

you got fight of the night after barfing for 24hrs? thats impressive man

I think it was because we were one of the few matches that went all three rounds, and it was a crazy brawl (on my part) with two teenagers in a cage. Only barfed for about 6 hours + a little before the fight.

I almost poo poo myself when the pre-fight sports doctor started asking me why my face was so pale/BP so low. Luckily I got the checkup out of the way while under the effect of a ton of pepto bismol and stomach safe (baby) asprin.

edit: but my coach has confirmed my next fight will be MMA, instead of amateur kickboxing.

doubledit:

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 13, 2011

mewse
May 2, 2006

next time dont eat at a shady diner and make it a KO ;)

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
A question for you goons.

Do your ears ever clog up during training/work out? I don't mean after taking a hit or something, but on days where you're a little sniffly/allergic, exert yourself and suddenly it's like your ear(s) is/are underwater or something? I've had that happen a few times and while it's never lasted longer than five minutes or so and it goes away on its own I don't know what the hell to make of it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Oh god, this is beautiful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kiqO-F2aS0&feature=related

(for those who wouldn't pick the reference : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kr24G8jQpM&feature=related)

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 13, 2011

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.
Judo goons! please help!

I started judo 6 months ago with no grappling experience. I'm now feeling stuck and have trouble even though I've got the basic motions of basic techniques down. I'm never quite sure what to do with kuzushi and how to transition from kuzushi to throws. I can throw guys my level around but it's mostly because I'm on the big side in my club, and not because of good technique.

This is frustrating me to no end because I don't mind getting thrown around by the higher belts, but obviously I can't throw them so I'm mostly working my defence against them. But with lower belts it's hard to gauge how much force to use because I'm bigger, and subsequently I don't know if I'm throwing them because of superior strength or technique.

Any tips for judo beginners would help, thanks!

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Are you getting your hips down low enough? Also, for unbalancing, if you draw a line between the opponent's legs, you want your force to be perpendicular to that line.

It's hard to say anything more specific without seeing you...

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Yeah, it is indeed difficult to say something specific. There's so many thing you could be doing wrong. When you just drill the technique, do things go well or do you get half assed throws you only powered through?

Dropping low is something begginers usually don't do so that's certainly something to think of.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

KingColliwog posted:

Dropping low is something begginers usually don't do so that's certainly something to think of.

Especially heavier beginners, because it feels dangerous to begin with... and raw beginners in general have no sense of sutemi.

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

themongol posted:

Judo goons! please help!

I started judo 6 months ago with no grappling experience. I'm now feeling stuck and have trouble even though I've got the basic motions of basic techniques down. I'm never quite sure what to do with kuzushi and how to transition from kuzushi to throws. I can throw guys my level around but it's mostly because I'm on the big side in my club, and not because of good technique.

This is frustrating me to no end because I don't mind getting thrown around by the higher belts, but obviously I can't throw them so I'm mostly working my defence against them. But with lower belts it's hard to gauge how much force to use because I'm bigger, and subsequently I don't know if I'm throwing them because of superior strength or technique.

Do you have a tokui-waza (favorite technique)?

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

themongol posted:

Judo goons! please help!

Some random comments:
This is a bit of an oversimplification, but sometimes I see things click for people when they start trying to throw their opponents 'up' instead of 'down.' Just focus on loading your opponents up in a controlled way and the throws will follow naturally. Remember that 'action-reaction' thing too; you probably understand the "push an opponent back to make them commit weight against you so you can throw them forward" thing, but it's just as important to pull/snap them down so they posture up and you can throw them up.

Never defend, even against the higher belts just all out attack and get thrown over and over, it'll be more useful to you than 'working your defense.' Loosen up, get thrown and enjoy it- it's fun! Try to mirror their foot positioning with your feet while looking at their forehead (avoid the eyes, they'll distract you, you're looking at the forehead to keep your head up and help your posture).

Try to circle stiff opponents until you find angles where their resistance/balance feels weak and then just get up in their face or back away. You'll get that "oh I should be throwing him now" feeling if you do it right. Try to hear their footsteps ("Thump thump thump") and use each step as your signal to step in and break their balance. Hope something here helps, if you can think of a more specific question, please ask!

E: Also attacks work in spirals, starting with a big whole body motion and ending in an almost-stationary hip pivot. Feel the spiral and it'll help you maintain kuzushi through the whole process.

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
How much do gi's typically run? I need to pick one up for bjj and could get one at the place I'm training at but am not sure if that's a rookie mistake.

• Locked thread