Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
$75-$300 is pretty much the range. If you post the brand and price we can let you know if its a good or bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

themongol posted:

Judo goons! please help!

I started judo 6 months ago with no grappling experience. I'm now feeling stuck and have trouble even though I've got the basic motions of basic techniques down. I'm never quite sure what to do with kuzushi and how to transition from kuzushi to throws. I can throw guys my level around but it's mostly because I'm on the big side in my club, and not because of good technique.

This is frustrating me to no end because I don't mind getting thrown around by the higher belts, but obviously I can't throw them so I'm mostly working my defence against them. But with lower belts it's hard to gauge how much force to use because I'm bigger, and subsequently I don't know if I'm throwing them because of superior strength or technique.

Any tips for judo beginners would help, thanks!

Are you having trouble during randori, drilling, or both?

If it's randori, then you're probably not getting the kuzushi right, or at least the timing. If you telegraph too much your opponent can easily drop down or shift weight or counter.

If you drill throws, like they said above make sure your hips are getting low enough. It is also very important to "know" the throw to completion. That is to say, once you start the throw, have a destination in mind for the person. We were always told to look at the floor or point a finger at the floor once you start a throw. This enables your brain to commit to what you're doing and you're more likely to have success in the throw. edit: For example, in an o-goshi, once they are on your hip, look down at the floor where you want them to land. I don't mean look at the floor as soon as you get grips.

I'm not high level myself but these are things that have helped me a lot since I started; with absolutely no experience in anything, even sports.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Xguard86 posted:

$75-$300 is pretty much the range. If you post the brand and price we can let you know if its a good or bad idea.

Somebody mentioned Padilla & Sons for gi's in the SAS grappling thread.

http://www.matrat.us/

I'm just not sure if it's typical to pick up your first gi at the place you train at. Maybe it is - not sure.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

origami posted:

I'm just not sure if it's typical to pick up your first gi at the place you train at. Maybe it is - not sure.

My place has a deal where if you buy a gi from him (marked up about 10-20%) he'll waive the $50 registration fee. Other than that though it's not a great idea to buy a gi from a gym.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

origami posted:

I have a Padilla gi. I like it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Oh yeah that's the stuff! Judo at my real dojo started again tonight and it was a blast as usual. Very physical class today and it was fun. A couple of new people joined the class and one of them is a french guy that was in the "Espoir (hope in english)" back there (basically a guy that's very good and has hope of getting into the highest level of competitions/the olympics). He was doing national and international competitions before he stopped 3 years ago. The guy was just destroying everyone it was fun to watch.

poo poo I love this sport, I love the people I do it with. Judo is by far one the best thing taht ever happened to me! I'm happy I can share this joy with you guys and learn stuff here when I'm off the mat so thank you all and thank judo!

--

I'm also in the market for a new judogi. It's not the first time I ask the question but I can't remember from last time and I lost my favorites. What would be a good brand of judogi that's reasonably priced and can ship to canada?

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 14, 2011

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

KingColliwog posted:

Oh yeah that's the stuff! Judo at my real dojo started again tonight and it was a blast as usual. Very physical class today and it was fun. A couple of new people joined the class and one of them is a french guy that was in the "Espoir (hope in english)" back there (basically a guy that's very good and has hope of getting into the highest level of competitions/the olympics). He was doing national and international competitions before he stopped 3 years ago. The guy was just destroying everyone it was fun to watch.

poo poo I love this sport, I love the people I do it with. Judo is by far one the best thing taht ever happened to me! I'm happy I can share this joy with you guys and learn stuff here when I'm off the mat so thank you all and thank judo!

Jealous of your good class. My class tonight was kind of lame. Everyone was either too beat up to go very hard or too young and small for me to go hard against them.

We have a new 13 year old who has a ton of natural talent so I spent the last half of class showing him some basics. I hope he sticks with it.

The people I train with are awesome and I wouldn't change a thing about my senseis, but my dojo is really run down and beat up and I think that hurts our retention of new people. But, with no students, there isn't money to fix things. The head sensei is looking at a new place to move the dojo to tomorrow morning and I hope it goes well.

only gi I've ever warn is Tiger Claw and they seem to be fine. The local MA supply store has them so that's why I wear them.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Hellblazer187 posted:

Jealous of your good class. My class tonight was kind of lame. Everyone was either too beat up to go very hard or too young and small for me to go hard against them.

We have a new 13 year old who has a ton of natural talent so I spent the last half of class showing him some basics. I hope he sticks with it.

The people I train with are awesome and I wouldn't change a thing about my senseis, but my dojo is really run down and beat up and I think that hurts our retention of new people. But, with no students, there isn't money to fix things. The head sensei is looking at a new place to move the dojo to tomorrow morning and I hope it goes well.

only gi I've ever warn is Tiger Claw and they seem to be fine. The local MA supply store has them so that's why I wear them.

drat taht sucks, I really wish your club the best. It's so lame when things are not the way they could/should be just because of money issues.

Ok thanks for the tip. I'm sort of thinking of just buying another one of the brand I already have (my coach orders them directly from montreal where there's a local company making them), but I also sort of want to get something else that's different for some reason

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
I had a great rolling session tonight. I was feeling pretty good until the blood blisters on my rolling partner's foot popped and smeared all over my gi... :mad: Pretty disgusting.

KingColliwog posted:

Ok thanks for the tip. I'm sort of thinking of just buying another one of the brand I already have (my coach orders them directly from montreal where there's a local company making them), but I also sort of want to get something else that's different for some reason

You talking about Kontact Sports? http://www.kontactsports.com/Judo-uniform-bbkabaqTa.asp I was wondering whether their gis are any good to order. I've ordered other stuff from them and like their service. Whatever you do, DO NOT order from judogis.com . Aside from my order being delayed a good 2 weeks, they forgot to put in belts and gave the wrong pant size. Such a pain in the rear end and a headache to deal with.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Bangkero posted:

I had a great rolling session tonight. I was feeling pretty good until the blood blisters on my rolling partner's foot popped and smeared all over my gi... :mad: Pretty disgusting.

You talking about Kontact Sports? http://www.kontactsports.com/Judo-uniform-bbkabaqTa.asp I was wondering whether their gis are any good to order. I've ordered other stuff from them and like their service. Whatever you do, DO NOT order from judogis.com . Aside from my order being delayed a good 2 weeks, they forgot to put in belts and gave the wrong pant size. Such a pain in the rear end and a headache to deal with.

K thx for the info. My judogi is a Jukado http://www.jukado.com/, never heard of kontact sports before. They are good and tough, but I'm not sure I like the cut. I might just order a more "competition" style one from them this time...

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
For someone completely new to bjj and rolling how do you 'attack' another person? Usually when we're rolling we're both on our knees or sitting but I can never figure out the best way to attack someone when they're on their butt.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

origami posted:

that was me also. If they are selling Padillas for about the same price as the website (remember to include shipping when you compare prices) then go for it!

My instructor has a deal with gameness, so I've bought a few from our school at a decent price. Plus, some of the money is going into the pockets of a guy I know and like, which is good.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

origami posted:

For someone completely new to bjj and rolling how do you 'attack' another person? Usually when we're rolling we're both on our knees or sitting but I can never figure out the best way to attack someone when they're on their butt.

Elbow his face.

(Take some more classes. If you are completely new you have to learn a FEW basics first, preferably with someone instructing and partners who are also, more or less, completely new.)

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Ligur posted:

(Take some more classes. If you are completely new you have to learn a FEW basics first, preferably with someone instructing and partners who are also, more or less, completely new.)

Yeah, everybody there is pretty cool and helpful to be honest. I just feel like a dope but I guess I just have to do it more.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

If he is sitting down and you are standing, then you are passing his guard. Which means you are trying to get around his legs, in order to control his hips, shoulders, and head. It's not really possible to explain this stuff over the internet, but just keep training and remember what your goal is in each position, even if you don't really know how to do it.

This is a nice book for general bjj, if you are so inclined:

http://www.amazon.com/Jiu-Jitsu-University-Saulo-Ribeiro/dp/0981504434/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316013857&sr=8-1

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

origami posted:

This might sound stupidly simple, but I find this to be an incredibly overlooked alternative by a lot of grapplers, at least in a situation where you both start on your knees;

Get your opponent onto his back. Trying to pass someone who's sitting up with good posture and is ready for you is like trying to run into a wall. Do something as simple as shove your partner, and if he falls back, pounce on him. If he doesn't fall back, shove him again, harder. Everything is easier if your opponent has both shoulders on the mat.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
So moving from Judo and nogi submission grappling into BJJ has been a really interesting experience for me, but I'm getting pretty annoyed by the unwarranted elitism of BJJ players. They don't know how to attack Turtle because they tunnelvision so hard on attacking the neck that they get swept every time, so now they tell me to "leave that Judo stuff at home this is BJJ" whenever I turtle up instead of even trying. They lock in leg triangles but can't finish them and refuse to let go or switch to other subs, so I pick them up, and they tell me that's not legit because we're not allowed to slam anyone. IMO if you're 40lbs heavier than me and I can pick you up and hold you in the air while you try to muscle out a triangle finish you should be loving impressed, you crybaby. Just had to vent!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

sounds like lovely people complaining about stuff they can't beat, rather than trying to figure it out. I wouldn't leave behind anything thats working for you.

Be careful about lifting people though, you can hurt yourself doing that too often, or if they counter unexpectedly and you crash.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Yeah, our instructor teaches tons of turtle sweeps and one of his favorite exercises is to do submission chains where you do a submission, the other person counters, you move onto a submission that can be done from that position, they counter etc. That's not a BJJ thing, it's just a thing that your group does.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Seatbelt from turtle all day every day. Someone turtling up is like a giftwrapped submission.

But yeah, telling you to stop doing "judo things" is beyond dumb, especially if they say it because they can't handle it-- it's not like it's an unsolvable puzzle. As far as slams go- they are illegal in BJJ/SW competitions. Hell, I'd know, I was disqualified for "slamming" someone- but just like there are ways to deal with the turtle, there are ways beyond slamming someone to deal with a triangle.

On that note; Jiu jitsu is like a pair of skinny jeans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwQs2cppZUI&feature=share

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ridleys Revenge posted:

So moving from Judo and nogi submission grappling into BJJ has been a really interesting experience for me, but I'm getting pretty annoyed by the unwarranted elitism of BJJ players. They don't know how to attack Turtle because they tunnelvision so hard on attacking the neck that they get swept every time, so now they tell me to "leave that Judo stuff at home this is BJJ" whenever I turtle up instead of even trying. They lock in leg triangles but can't finish them and refuse to let go or switch to other subs, so I pick them up, and they tell me that's not legit because we're not allowed to slam anyone. IMO if you're 40lbs heavier than me and I can pick you up and hold you in the air while you try to muscle out a triangle finish you should be loving impressed, you crybaby. Just had to vent!

Slamming people is a dick move in BJJ. You know as well as I do, you can't do that in Judo either, as soon as you lift someone off the mat, they stop it.

I don't know if turtling is the best course of action in the long run though, unless you want to get Edwardo Telles level good at that position.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Ridleys Revenge posted:

If you aren't attacking or working to improve your position, what are you waiting for, also what rank do you hold in Judo?

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Seatbelt from turtle all day every day. Someone turtling up is like a giftwrapped submission.

Link or description? Not recognizing the terminology.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

Blazebro420 posted:

If you aren't attacking or working to improve your position, what are you waiting for, also what rank do you hold in Judo?

I'm a brown belt (ikkyu) in Judo with a couple stripes because I kept refusing my shodan to keep sandbagging in tournaments (that's not completely true tbh I just didn't think I was ready yet) and they were determined to award me something anyway.

And the thing is that Turtle is as much a defensive position as guard (I do play a lot like Telles, since someone mentioned it). They pass your guard, you turtle instead of giving up side control, they commit weight into you and probably give you an arm too, you flip them and land in reverse scarf, mount and finish.

To reverse it, if you're sitting on your butt wanting me to come walk into your guard instead of fighting for top position, what are you waiting for, right?

E: Also yes slamming is a dick move but this is a group that teaches fishhooking as a legit way to raise a guy's head to RNC so there's definitely a double-standard going on

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 14, 2011

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Ridleys Revenge posted:

E: Also yes slamming is a dick move but this is a group that teaches fishhooking as a legit way to raise a guy's head to RNC so there's definitely a double-standard going on

Er, Fishhooking is 100% retarded in any non-self defense situation. They seriously pull on your lips or nostrils to move your head?

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
Are you simply not allowed to pick someone up in BJJ? I do it all the time in Judo if I'm in a bad situation. Is it really that unsafe? I have a pretty strong deadlift so it always seemed like a natural way to avoid being armbared. I guess they could do something unexpected and hurt me.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Slamming your way out of a submission is the same as punching your way out of one. You're just pummeling them until they let go. It's unsafe in the same way that striking is.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

origami posted:

Yeah, everybody there is pretty cool and helpful to be honest. I just feel like a dope but I guess I just have to do it more.

Just pay attention when they teach various attacks from various positions (they do, right?) and try them. From your question I deducted you are very new to the sport, so saying something like "when facing each other, just get his back or if you can't do that, get a good grip, pull guard, and go for a triangle until you get a sweep and then switch from americana to choke to armbar like a bitch until something clicks" wouldn't probably make a lot of sense (yet).

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I don't mean that I would slam. I use it in judo if I'm in a bad situation because it gets a stand up. I don't do it in BJJ because It doesn't get the posistions reset. I guess I'm asking if you are allowed to pick people up at all even if you don't intend to slam them.

Edit: For example in a competition I momentarily forget myself and pick someone up. If I realize what I've done and put them down without slamming have I already broken a rule?

Office Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 14, 2011

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Technically the pick up itself is not generally banned in competition (though I cringe whenever I see white belts do it), but this is training, where you are supposed to be able to trust your partners.

If you pick up someone with triangle locked on you it's not going to help you escape and you are just being a dick by spooking them with the potential slam (whether you intend to or not).

It's not safe and has no place in training.

quote:

Edit: For example in a competition I momentarily forget myself and pick someone up. If I realize what I've done and put them down without slamming have I already broken a rule?
This is totally fine.

Taratang fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 14, 2011

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

I think part of the issue is that there's a difference between lifting a guy above your head to powerbomb him and lifting him slightly off the ground to get him to quit hanging onto you with his legs when he's not doing anything effective with them. For example, I definitely prefer a 'light slam' to open my guard over having a guy jam his elbows into my knees or throat or can openering me. My feeling is that if you do it with control and don't hurt me in the process it's fair game and I'll probably benefit from learning to deal with it

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
If you are only lifting a couple of inches then you are probably ok in the gym, though it's not really helping you improve your triangle escapes.

From a BJJ referee's perspective however, lifting and putting someone down hard is sufficient grounds for a DQ whether it's from 2 feet or 2 inches.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Is that why bjj guys have such lovely doubles?

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Slams are illegal in BJJ when used to escape submissions/open the guard. You can do double legs (or high altitude judo throws!) from standing as hard as you like so :iiam:.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

fidgit posted:

Link or description? Not recognizing the terminology.

Sure! I hope you can see this video, I think you have like 15 free views or something before you need a membership. (I couldn't find anything good on youtube).
I'm sorry of the terminology might not be as widespread as I thought-- for all I know it could be a MGA-specific name for it.
Here's Paul explaining it: http://www.mginaction.com/VideoDetails.aspx?VideoId=7673

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Taratang posted:

Slams are illegal in BJJ when used to escape submissions/open the guard. You can do double legs (or high altitude judo throws!) from standing as hard as you like so :iiam:.

It's a lot easier to pull off a slam that could hurt someone than pretty much any other takedown or throw, I think. There's a ton of white belts or beginners competing in BJJ, and I imagine introducing slams would seriously increase the risk of injury, atleast in that division-- landing on your neck or head from a slam is not uncommon- more so than from a double leg takedown. In the competitions I've been in, throws have been allowed, but if you lead the opponents head into the ground on purpose (as I understand many throws would ideally have you do), you'll be hella disqualified.

quote:

From a BJJ referee's perspective however, lifting and putting someone down hard is sufficient grounds for a DQ whether it's from 2 feet or 2 inches.

This is too true. :(

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 14, 2011

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ridleys Revenge posted:

I think part of the issue is that there's a difference between lifting a guy above your head to powerbomb him and lifting him slightly off the ground to get him to quit hanging onto you with his legs when he's not doing anything effective with them. For example, I definitely prefer a 'light slam' to open my guard over having a guy jam his elbows into my knees or throat or can openering me. My feeling is that if you do it with control and don't hurt me in the process it's fair game and I'll probably benefit from learning to deal with it

There's got to be another bjj school nearby you, these guys sound like dickhead babies. Or baby dickheads. Or maybe just babydicks.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Hellblazer187 posted:

There's got to be another bjj school nearby you, these guys sound like dickhead babies. Or baby dickheads. Or maybe just babydicks.
I'm sure all sorts of BJJ schools will be impressed with his passive turtling and triangle slams. His school does sound ridiculous because they allow fishhooking which no school should allow but he is doing the BJJ equivalent of a wrestler coming into a judo class and refusing to use grips and double legging all day.

EDIT: My school allows people to pick up guys who have them in guard but very few people do because there are simply better passing or triangle defense techniques. Also, we've had a few guys come in and slam people. If it's a white belt class they are usually told not to do so. If it's a senior level class the problem fixes itself as they are physically corrected.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 15, 2011

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Ridleys Revenge posted:

I'm a brown belt (ikkyu) in Judo with a couple stripes because I kept refusing my shodan to keep sandbagging in tournaments (that's not completely true tbh I just didn't think I was ready yet) and they were determined to award me something anyway.

And the thing is that Turtle is as much a defensive position as guard (I do play a lot like Telles, since someone mentioned it). They pass your guard, you turtle instead of giving up side control, they commit weight into you and probably give you an arm too, you flip them and land in reverse scarf, mount and finish.

To reverse it, if you're sitting on your butt wanting me to come walk into your guard instead of fighting for top position, what are you waiting for, right?

your jiujitsu guys sound like a bunch of bitches.

I do hate a Judo guys turtle, I have no idea how to attack it safely. (This guy is a world champion with 40lbs on me though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yuns posted:

I'm sure all sorts of BJJ schools will be impressed with his passive turtling and triangle slams. His school does sound ridiculous because they allow fishhooking which no school should allow but he is doing the BJJ equivalent of a wrestler coming into a judo class and refusing to use grips and double legging all day.

I agree with all of this. I just think fishhooking and neck cranking is a hell of a lot worse.

• Locked thread