Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

mp5_smg posted:

The trailer is about 90% done, i'd like to do a couple more things to it but having a kid eats up a lot of your time.

You should continue the red stripe from the truck onto the trailer. That would break up the black a bit and make them look more like they belong together (since the truck has so much minute detail)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Space Police 3 at least where I live didn't really show up in stores it was kinda sad :( The sets were far better than the current Alien Conquest ones. Minus the tripod and the vic viper in the big set there isn't much that caught my eye.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I hope there's a new Space theme every year for a while, sort of like what Lego is doing with the Castle line. I loved SP3 and the fantasy era sets. While I'm indifferent about the current Castle and Alien Conquest sets, I'm always excited to see what's coming out next year. I hope they pull something crazy for Space, something as crazy as the fantasy era sets were for Castle... some kind of 1950s retro sci-fi moonbase line would be amazing.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Merchant of Death posted:

Call lego directly and they wont be as expensive. If a part still in production is overpriced on bricklink calling lego and asking them for x of that part outside of there pick a brick program is affordable. Not all countries do this but most parts that should be around 10-15 cents but are $1 on bricklink even with shipping will save you cash.

Yeah, I know that. I never think to use it, but I suppose these pieces are one of the few cases it might be worth it to try. I have heard some success (and some horror) stories with going through Lego directly though. They give parts to you at whatever online PaB prices would be, which is usually a huge ripoff, but one guy I know got them at a 100% discount when Lego screwed up the invoicing, so there is that.

e: I finally got around to taking a couple pictures of this. A GG1.

It's based particularly on the one in Strasbourg, PA:

It still needs its gold stripes, which I think I'm going to do in vinyl like my last train.

Shuppiluliumas fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 13, 2011

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
That is the issue, when PaB prices are good compared to bricklink prices but the part isnt on the PaB site and you have to call or email to end up getting them. It really only pays off if you need a bunch of the same brick. When I needed 300 of one part and no one had enough on brick link under .20 it made it worthwhile to call lego.

That train is really sweet, once it has the gold accents the black it will really pop. I love the wedge stairs you used at the front.

stuie
May 11, 2009
That train is seriously gorgeous.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Postin my poo poo.

Started collecting again with Space Police and the minifigs.

A shelf of the kits I have, not included is a tackle box full of misc parts from unassembled sets.

The latest set I picked up was this neat little Creator kit.

A nice looking prop plane. I love the engine, but the Pharoah Quest biplane actually had a better build and parts somehow. On the creator set, the propeller is not free spinning. If you turned it, the whole engine spun around. Replaced a few bits but otherwise it's really neat.

And a couple of really small MOCs.

Miniviper!

Yeah, what else are you going to do with all those crab legs?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Our TRU is a ways away and pretty out of the way, and every time I checked at our Target they didn't have the Series minifigs. Today I went to Target for some other stuff and planned on picking up that cool castle windmill set with the goats but apparently it is a huge set and it's $70 which was a bit more than I had budgeted.

I was trying to find something inexpensive that looked like an Ok consolation prize when I found the little pouches of Series guys on the end cap! Bought 5 and got a gangster (one of my 2 most wanted) an eskimo, a boxer, a snowboard guy and a cave girl. So cool!

So of course I followed this up with creating a bricklink account and ordering a half dozen mint-in-bag series 3 and 4 sets...

e: I couldn't tell you the name, but I recognized the style of the train right away. Great job.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Finally got through the whole thread.

Picked up the Alien Conquest tripod at Walmart for $15 today, might go back tomorrow for another, since I discovered there's a pile of neat parts in there. And I'm waiting for my old collection to get shipped back to me.

And I'm suddenly really stoked to find out they're having a Brickworld in Fort Wayne in a couple weeks. Seems to be sort of gimped in the activities department, but I'm looking forward to looking at giant cool LEGO mocs.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

triad posted:

Sweet, check out this space pimp and his pimpmobile

http://spacepolice.lego.com/en-us/products/default.aspx#5984

Boy, reading this thread has really made me want to get back into lego, too bad all of my stuff is in boxes on the other side of the country :(

When the animation started, I lost it. Especially when he scoots off screen while the music goes 'Oooohh'. Also for the Aus-goons, check out Myer. The one near me had two or three of these for $80 or so. Pretty good price considering it was Myer. They had a lot of sets that weren't far off the pricing of online sites, which made me giddy.

But, alas, unemployment sucks... :smith:

Also I recently pulled out my huge tub and found a bunch of old sets I'd forgotten about, including the 4558 Train, including controller! Also some old space men with some intact gold. My partner saw me mucking about in the box and rolled her eyes. The ensuing conversation went like this:

:v: - Check it out babe! My old sets!
:j: - Oh christ...
:v: - Been reading the SA lego thread and I've become addicted again. Really want to save up and buy some more soon.
:j: - Jesus babe, how much more LEGO do you want?
:unsmigghh: - ALL OF IT!

At least she sees it as a hobby and something fun to occupy my time, rather than 'kids toys' or some other bullshit. It's nice having such an understanding girlfriend. She even laughed when I showed her Space Pimp, telling me she'll buy it for me for xmas. She was also impressed when I built a new casing for my D-Link router [kept shorting out due to metal casing making contact, new LEGO case, no more shorting!], and I even built a phone holder to help my mobile get better reception.

Next project is a holder for my microphone, so I can play the keyboard and sing without having to hold it. :v:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

rickiep00h posted:

Finally got through the whole thread.

Picked up the Alien Conquest tripod at Walmart for $15 today, might go back tomorrow for another, since I discovered there's a pile of neat parts in there. And I'm waiting for my old collection to get shipped back to me.

And I'm suddenly really stoked to find out they're having a Brickworld in Fort Wayne in a couple weeks. Seems to be sort of gimped in the activities department, but I'm looking forward to looking at giant cool LEGO mocs.

I am so going. Never would have heard of this if it weren't for you. God bless you :)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

On the creator set, the propeller is not free spinning. If you turned it, the whole engine spun around. Replaced a few bits but otherwise it's really neat.

If the engine spins with the propeller then it's a rotary engine. They used to be used in prop planes because they were simple and relatively powerful but they were surpassed by radial and inline engines.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh, guess that showed me. I still like being able to flick the prop and have it spin around while I make brrrrbbrbrbrbrbr noises though.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A student posted:

If the engine spins with the propeller then it's a rotary engine. They used to be used in prop planes because they were simple and relatively powerful but they were surpassed by radial and inline engines.

They (aircraft rotary engines) also threw oil all over the loving place; that's why WWI movies show airplanes spewing oil out of the cowls after a single bullet hits it. :eng101:

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

H1KE posted:

Also I recently pulled out my huge tub and found a bunch of old sets I'd forgotten about, including the 4558 Train, including controller!

Color me jealous, the Metroliner is on my want list.. you lucky bastard.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

After getting the Mrs. hooked on the Lego advent calendar last year she brought home both of this years today. Amazed these things are out so far in advance.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Professor Bling posted:

They (aircraft rotary engines) also threw oil all over the loving place; that's why WWI movies show airplanes spewing oil out of the cowls after a single bullet hits it. :eng101:
Also, aircraft rotary engines are nothing like Mazda's Wankel rotary engine.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
Are they not doing a Kingdoms advent calendar this year? That'd be a shame, I was looking forward to picking one up.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Dr. Platypus posted:

Are they not doing a Kingdoms advent calendar this year? That'd be a shame, I was looking forward to picking one up.

They alternate, usually there is a City one then a theme, they went Castle and Pirates in the last few years.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I don't know if this is the proper place to ask but I am anyway. I have a ton of sets from the mid 90s through early 2000s and maybe a few from as late as 2005 or so. They're all sitting in my attic taking up space and I think it's a shame. LEGO are meant to be played with so with that I mind I figured I'd see if there's any interest in someone buying them. Shipping LEGO seems like a nightmare so it'd be great if someone in the Central Florida area was interested. I'd even be willing to drive a bit to deliver them, or meet halfway or whatever.

As for the sets, there's a ton of Star Wars sets from the time including the first Millennium Falcon LEGO ever made, a bunch of Space sets including most of the Insectoid ones, one of the big castles from around 2001 (it was modular kind of? They sold other little sets you could set in the base in place of towers it came with) and just tons of random sets. There's a lot of bulk bricks too and sets that have been disassembled but in theory all the pieces should be with the loose bricks.

I was very meticulous about keeping instruction manuals so if you want to dive into the loose bricks and build them all you should be able to. If there's any interest at all in it I'll bring the boxes down and take tons of pictures so you can get an idea of the size/worth of the whole collection. I'd be open to shipping it but would prefer to just deliver it/have someone pick it up.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

kensei posted:

They alternate, usually there is a City one then a theme, they went Castle and Pirates in the last few years.

Dang, guess I missed out by not getting one last year.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Humerus posted:

I don't know if this is the proper place to ask but I am anyway.

For a casual, local sale like for which you express a preference, here is okay, but you might also consider taking this to SA-Mart if nobody in this thread bites.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

best banner ad ever

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFV01G97LsQ

:stare::stare::stare:

Mother of god.

Big-rear end Venerator-class star destroyer.

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

Humerus posted:

I don't know if this is the proper place to ask but I am anyway. <stuff>

I could be tempted, but it would depend on how much there is, and what you'd be asking for it. Logistics of me moving back to the UK in a couple of months are neither here nor there! (also my problem, not yours!) And yes, I am in the Central Florida area.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Hey guys, I made a MOC! It's a space plane:

The cockpit can be taken out and replaced with an autopilot core:

Here are all the parts. It's totally modular!

Here are both versions, piloted and drone:

I haven't finished a MOC in a few months, feels good to get something done.

CayTeo
Oct 14, 2004

I don't want to set the world on fire

SynthOrange posted:

I picked one of these up around my birthday and modded it to seat a minifig. Looks like a bumblebee P-47 but I'm happy with it.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Shuppiluliumas posted:

e: I finally got around to taking a couple pictures of this. A GG1.

It's based particularly on the one in Strasbourg, PA:

It still needs its gold stripes, which I think I'm going to do in vinyl like my last train.

Holy shitballs :aaa: that is gorgeous. The GG1 is one of the the sleekest electric locos around (and one of my favourites). You have really done it justice, I would kill to have one to go with my official lego trains.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Well Manicured Man posted:

The cockpit can be taken out and replaced with an autopilot core:

Here are all the parts. It's totally modular!

Here are both versions, piloted and drone:

This is fantastic, reminds me of something I would have made when I was a kid :buddy:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Tanith posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFV01G97LsQ

:stare::stare::stare:

Mother of god.

Big-rear end Venerator-class star destroyer.

Now that is awesome!

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Well Manicured Man posted:

I really like the interchangeable control idea.

For my locomotive, hopefully I'll get around to finishing it up soon. I'm a big fan of the GG1 and its awesome history. One crashed into Union Station in DC at 40 mph once because the coach brakes failed, and fell through the floor of the concourse because of its weight. Eisenhower was going to be coming through for his inauguration at the time, so they just covered over the wreck with a temporary floor, then cut it into pieces, removed it, shipped it to PA, rebuilt it and put it back in service. I think that GG1 still survives, as well.

In other news, there's been a lot of talk on Eurobricks about next years' themes. We're getting more Ninjago, a new Dinosaur hunting theme like they've done in the past and a whole new girl-oriented theme: Lego Friends, with a new figure type. You can browse the forums for details. I don't want to image dump here, but if other people feel like it, that's cool. I guess I'll leave one here, though:

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Shuppiluliumas posted:

--
In other news, there's been a lot of talk on Eurobricks about next years' themes.

I only like one of the first half technic sets :( I would like more spacey wacey themes. The 'girl' sets look to be good for curved colour pieces at least.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

einTier posted:

Also, aircraft rotary engines are nothing like Mazda's Wankel rotary engine.

You know, now I want to see an engine that qualifies as BOTH types of rotary.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Ugh, god drat it. Because Belleville was such a hot property, right?

Seriously, girls like aliens and knights and poo poo too. I'm a guy and I'm offended by this kind of marketing.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Ugh, god drat it. Because Belleville was such a hot property, right?

Seriously, girls like aliens and knights and poo poo too. I'm a guy and I'm offended by this kind of marketing.

Well, I mostly agree, but Belville was always a good source of parts in weird colors. It looks like they're following suit with this new theme. I also appreciate that these aren't some sort of dumbed-down things like some of the girl themes have been. They're a lot more like other sets, the way Paradisa was back in the day.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Technic 2012 1H: Due in February

I am so into that jet plane. Not only does it look like a cool set, but it has so much poo poo that I want. I have almost no red Technic pieces, I want more of those curved panel pieces, and I have never had those bendable axels either. I cannot wait for this.

I have no interest in the tow truck, but the quad looks kinda cool.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Hate to break it to you but those " bendable axles" you want so badly aen't really axles, they've got little bars on the end.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Fayez Butts posted:

Hate to break it to you but those " bendable axles" you want so badly aen't really axles, they've got little bars on the end.

Yeah, I know, I just didn't know what else to call them.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I hadn't seen pictures yet, but our Lego rep said something along the lines of "if this doesn't work, we're done with the girl's market," which lead us to believe they'd use the license they have with Disney to make some Princess stuff, as that is like asking American children to fish mom's wallet out of her purse and mail them money.

Guess not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Paradisa

They need to make more Lego dolphins so my one lone Lego shark has a friend.

And I hope the new Dino theme has good looking dinos for once. And that it's more Pharaoh's Quest in setting than the "tactical SWAT vs. dinos" of yore.