Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sri.Theo posted:

Er its just one built into the laptop , I think it's an Acer (its for someone else). Do you think if I download some logitech software it will work just the same?

You probbbbably got some bloatware with the laptop, but if you don't have that installed (you might need the driver too) you could try something like this:
http://lifehacker.com/5806458/chronolapse-creates-time-lapse-videos-using-your-screen-or-webcam
Probably more than you need, maybe some of it will help with what you want to do though. There are some online things too like these and DailyBooth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have a 1.5tb hard drive, and since it's gotten closer to being filled up (roughly 200gb free) Windows has been slowing down tremendously, WMP crashes pretty often now but Windows itself doesn't seem to have any problems besides sometimes feeling slow to open new folders/programs.

Is this just unavoidable due to Windows having to go through so much more info or is it something else? It didn't start having any problems at all until I transferred about 900gb onto it from an external HD in one day.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Just wanted to let everyone know that the latest version of Trillian no longer needs the Skype user interface to be running in order to use Skype services. That means the new "Skype Home" behaviour never has to bother me again.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

298298 posted:

I have a 1.5tb hard drive, and since it's gotten closer to being filled up (roughly 200gb free) Windows has been slowing down tremendously, WMP crashes pretty often now but Windows itself doesn't seem to have any problems besides sometimes feeling slow to open new folders/programs.

Is this just unavoidable due to Windows having to go through so much more info or is it something else? It didn't start having any problems at all until I transferred about 900gb onto it from an external HD in one day.

I've got a drive with twice the capacity and half the free space, and it doesn't cause any problems. I'd run SeaTools or whatever the cool kids are using these days.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

298298 posted:

Defrag it, if you haven't already. And also run chkdsk.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
Is there *any* way to prevent the Jump List of pinned folders and recently used folders for the Windows Explorer icon on the Windows 7 superbar to not go corrupt/empty?

It's probably the feature I use the most :sigh:

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

298298 posted:

trandorian posted:

Defrag it, if you haven't already. And also run chkdsk.

Don't do this.

Post a screenshot from Crystal Disk Info

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Just wanted to let everyone know that the latest version of Trillian no longer needs the Skype user interface to be running in order to use Skype services. That means the new "Skype Home" behaviour never has to bother me again.

Thanks for the heads-up. Skype is getting shittier and shittier each update.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Amrosorma posted:

Is there *any* way to prevent the Jump List of pinned folders and recently used folders for the Windows Explorer icon on the Windows 7 superbar to not go corrupt/empty?

Do you use CCleaner? I've noticed that can clear them. If not, then no idea. Doesn't happen here on any of my Win7 workstations.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Do you use CCleaner? I've noticed that can clear them. If not, then no idea. Doesn't happen here on any of my Win7 workstations.

No, I don't use CCleaner. Argh, this kills me every time.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
I think this may be the appropriate thread for this, but I am not sure.

Does anyone know what DNS records are the most important? I know the A-record and MX-record and why they are important, but looking at the wiki page for DNS records there are roughly thirty of them. Are there any that are throw away? Are there just a few that is important to know?

memento mori
May 4, 2008
Anyone have success getting a PS3 controller to work in Windows 7? I tried http://www.motioninjoy.com/ but it made my keyboard/mouse stop working...

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

memento mori posted:

Anyone have success getting a PS3 controller to work in Windows 7? I tried http://www.motioninjoy.com/ but it made my keyboard/mouse stop working...

Yeah, motioninjoy never disconnected right for me over USB. (Not that I've tried it since switching from AMD to Intel, but.)

EDIT: Works fine now. Might be the newest update.

You could try bluetooth? A dongle is pretty cheap these days.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 12, 2011

memento mori
May 4, 2008
As I understand it my keyboard/mouse problem comes from Windows confusing the controller drivers with the keyboard's. Wouldn't I have the same problem with bluetooth? Or are there other drivers you suggest I use? I downloaded I couple different kinds, motionjoy was the only one that did anything.

It's frustrating because I just upgraded from Windows XP. I was able to get it to work in that with 11679_Sixaxis_PS3_Win32_Driver_For_PC.zip. But those drivers don't seem to want to work in Win7...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Bardlebee posted:

I think this may be the appropriate thread for this, but I am not sure.

Does anyone know what DNS records are the most important? I know the A-record and MX-record and why they are important, but looking at the wiki page for DNS records there are roughly thirty of them. Are there any that are throw away? Are there just a few that is important to know?

The only I've dealt with are A, CNAME, MX, and SRV.

The reason there are so many is that every program that needed to distribute information via DNS got its own record type, until SRV came along and we just stuffed everything into there (because that's what it's for). MX still hangs on because mail is older than dirt. CNAMES are aliases.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

memento mori posted:

That sounds really strange. I got it working myself, by connecting it via usb. It took, like, a day of wrestling with the thing, but it never disabled my keyboard.

nodm
Jul 17, 2011

memento mori posted:

No problems here using motioninjoy with the controller on a usb cable and Win 7x64. Since bought a bluetooth dongle but haven't tried it yet.

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
Sorry i know this is off topic but I really don't want to start a thread just to ask this and I can't find a more appropriate thread in the first 5 pages.

I was hoping someone could tell me where in Facebook settings I can ask it to stop sending me e-mail updates about anything and everything. All I can find is the notification settings page, but that seems like it's going to turn off all notifications altogether (I still want to be notified of things, just only when logged into facebook, not have my e-mail spammed forever). Any ideas?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Amrosorma posted:

Something is wrong with your system/install. I've not heard of this behavior in large circles.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

TwoKnives posted:

Thanks for the heads-up. Skype is getting shittier and shittier each update.

It really is. The UI is getting worse and the last updated installed a Chrome extension, Firefox addon and an IE addon all without my knowledge.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

Something is wrong with your system/install. I've not heard of this behavior in large circles.

The thought of reinstalling Windows... :sigh:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
My computer really, really hates Service Pack 1. As in 'crashing at boot as soon as it's installed' hates. This is the third time I've formatted and it runs all fine and dandy until I install SP1 at which point it immediately refuses to get past the Windows loading screen :sigh:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Moist von Lipwig posted:

My computer really, really hates Service Pack 1. As in 'crashing at boot as soon as it's installed' hates. This is the third time I've formatted and it runs all fine and dandy until I install SP1 at which point it immediately refuses to get past the Windows loading screen :sigh:

How are you installing SP1? I don't know why this would make a difference, but maybe try the standalone installer instead of doing it via Windows Update, or try doing a clean install from a disc/stick that already includes SP1.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Toast Museum posted:

How are you installing SP1? I don't know why this would make a difference, but maybe try the standalone installer instead of doing it via Windows Update, or try doing a clean install from a disc/stick that already includes SP1.

If I can actually get my computer to boot up I'm going to try making a slipstreamed 7 SP1 disk.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
This is just a minor thing, but has anyone heard of Notepad using 100 megs of memory for a 158k text file? I'm very confused as to why this is happening.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Don't use Notepad, it isn't built for anything, really

Notepad++ is a good alternative.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Moist von Lipwig posted:

If I can actually get my computer to boot up I'm going to try making a slipstreamed 7 SP1 disk.

No need. Just download an ISO that already includes it and delete ei.cfg if it's not the right disc for your SKU, e.g. the x64 Ultimate ISO can be used to install x64 Home Premium.

memento mori
May 4, 2008

nodm posted:

No problems here using motioninjoy with the controller on a usb cable and Win 7x64. Since bought a bluetooth dongle but haven't tried it yet.

zachol posted:

That sounds really strange. I got it working myself, by connecting it via usb. It took, like, a day of wrestling with the thing, but it never disabled my keyboard.

Mind if I ask what kind of keyboard and mouse you guys are using? I had read of other people having this problem with a keyboard/mouse wireless combo, which is what I'm using.
I'm at a point right now where I'm feeling like just buying a proper PC gamepad so I can get back into gaming with my updated computer. But I've already got 4 perfectly fine controllers sitting right there... So maybe I can just buy a new keyboard and still use those.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

memento mori posted:

Mind if I ask what kind of keyboard and mouse you guys are using? I had read of other people having this problem with a keyboard/mouse wireless combo, which is what I'm using.
I'm at a point right now where I'm feeling like just buying a proper PC gamepad so I can get back into gaming with my updated computer. But I've already got 4 perfectly fine controllers sitting right there... So maybe I can just buy a new keyboard and still use those.

Honestly unless you really like the feel of the PS3 controller (I adore it, I'm kinda weird) you should just get a PC 360 one. If your keyboard/mouse and the PS3 controller are totally incompatible, a 360 controller will probably be cheaper than a nice keyboard and mouse.

I'm using a Microsoft trackball explorer and a Leopold keyboard. Both are connected via USB, the trackball with the Microsoft software and the keyboard just straight.
Did you install any software when you got the wireless combo? How does it plug in, with a wireless base that connects to the computer via USB or what?
What happens when you unplug it and plug it back in, does anything pop up?
Does it show up in device manager?

memento mori
May 4, 2008
Yeah the keyboard and mouse were dead to the point where I had to do a full re-install on windows (no I don't use my back-up tool thank you very much) I guess I could have figured something else out if I had a wired mouse to plug in but I don't.

And yes, I do loving love the feel of my PS3 controller. There are some gamepads on newegg that resemble it at around $35 so I'm looking at those pretty close. I'd have to buy 2 though so both my girlfriend and I can enjoy emulator games.

The keyboard and mouse connect via a wireless base that is USB connected. It may have come with a software CD but I never use it, plug and play is good enough.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Holy poo poo, you had to reinstall? Eugh.
Pretty much anything I can think of assumes you have another mouse & keyboard (like cheap $10 ones) laying around.

When did things start going wrong? Right when you installed it, or did you open up the Motioninjoy controller to install the drivers? I don't actually know what I'm talking about, but it seems like you would've had to do that (and install a driver that somehow conflicted with the default windows drivers) to get the mouse & keyboard to stop working.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Really small question but does anyone know a non-spywareriffic wallpaper website? I figure new laptop should get some love and care. If there's a non-archived thread somewhere, even better!

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Sri.Theo posted:

Really small question but does anyone know a non-spywareriffic wallpaper website? I figure new laptop should get some love and care. If there's a non-archived thread somewhere, even better!

Interfacelift.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Sri.Theo posted:

http://wallbase.cc/start/

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*
I'm looking to copy / consolidate several smaller drives onto a much larger hard drive. Is there a program that will do this, or is copy / pasting the entire drive the best option? (for some reason it strikes me as a bad idea).

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill
Quick question: I have 3 discs at 1.5TB each. I want to make them appear like 1 in some way, but which one is best? I am choosing right now between just spanning and going with RAID5. I've read RAID5 is considered the devil by some, but I'm thinking the parity can be nice (disk space is not an issue). Is spanning still the way to go? I won't have anything super important on these disks, but at the same time it'd be pretty unsweet if the data was lost.

EDIT: How is this related to windows? I'm running Win Server 2008 r2!

Marinmo fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 13, 2011

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
This isn't necessarily a Windows software question, but what would be the most hassle-free way to create an image of my laptop's hard drive on my desktop and, if necessary, reimage the laptop from my desktop? I want a clean slate for the Windows 8 preview that's coming out tonight.

mistermojo posted:

http://wallbase.cc/start/

This is my go-to wallpaper site. One warning, though: you might run into some :nws: wallpapers that haven't been flagged yet, so be careful when browsing at work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Clonezilla can clone a disc to an image file across a network, and can restore it again later. Also it's free. Make sure you read the documentation thoroughly though.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Marinmo posted:

Quick question: I have 3 discs at 1.5TB each. I want to make them appear like 1 in some way, but which one is best? I am choosing right now between just spanning and going with RAID5. I've read RAID5 is considered the devil by some, but I'm thinking the parity can be nice (disk space is not an issue). Is spanning still the way to go? I won't have anything super important on these disks, but at the same time it'd be pretty unsweet if the data was lost.

EDIT: How is this related to windows? I'm running Win Server 2008 r2!
Well the performance on Raid5 blows (comparatively) because of the parity bit. You could always buy a 4th disc and use Raid10. That gives you striping and mirroring I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Caged posted:

Clonezilla can clone a disc to an image file across a network, and can restore it again later. Also it's free. Make sure you read the documentation thoroughly though.

Ah, thanks. I ended up using Richcopy, it seemed to do the job ok.