Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I have just finished reading the book. I have been reading this series non stop for 4 months now ever since I saw the first 3 episodes of the TV show and went and bought all the books.

There is no loving way Jon is dead. If he is that will be one lovely way to kill him. He can go kill anyone he likes but you do not gently caress with Jon and Arya :colbert:

My money is on Melisandre saving Jon's life.

Can someone tell me who the Khal that comes across Deanerys is at the end of the book? I can't remember hearing about him before. And got confused for a second because his name was really similar to her bloodrider.

Also any estimate on the next book? If it is another 5 years I will kill myself. :qq:

This is one of these series I wish I have not discovered till all the books are out.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

people posted:

Maesters be Illuminating and poo poo

It seems that the Maesters didn't limit their scheming to controlling magic. Remember Lady Dustin's rant about how that Maester of Rickard Stark was working out the marriages to the Tullys and Baratheons? I wonder how much of that was a rogue maester's handiwork and how much influence Oldtown was exerting.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 13, 2011

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

keyframe posted:

Can someone tell me who the Khal that comes across Deanerys is at the end of the book? I can't remember hearing about him before. And got confused for a second because his name was really similar to her bloodrider.

He's the guy who runs off with the vast majority of Drogo's khal after he dies.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

keyframe posted:

Also any estimate on the next book? If it is another 5 years I will kill myself. :qq:

This is one of these series I wish I have not discovered till all the books are out.

A Game of Thrones - 1996
A Clash of Kings - 1998
A Storm of Swords - 2000
A Feast for Crows - 2005
A Dance with Dragons - 2011

GRRM has said he's written ~100 pages of the next one (The Winds of Winter at the moment) from stuff that was cut out of book 5, and won't even start writing the rest of book 6 until next year. The shortest time between book publications so far has been two years and that was when he was basically writing straight through with no breaks, so I don't think there's any way you're seeing book 6 until at least early 2014 :gonk:. I would say 2015-ish with the pace / motivation he's shown lately. This is assuming there's not another six-year gap while they decide how to wring four more best-sellers out of this series instead of two.

Ross fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 13, 2011

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

He's the guy who runs off with the vast majority of Drogo's khal after he dies.
That was a pretty cool moment. Dany basically gets control of a huge army that can defeat all those assholes in Meereen simply by landing on a dragon and saying "Hey, what's up? Remember me? Yeah now I have dragons, serve me because I'm awesome."

And the khalasar goes along with it because they follow the baddest dude around.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
I'm hoping that she still can't control Drogon and he ends up murdering the gently caress out of them. Then eats her.

Martin really hosed up the pacing here. Since there's no gap now, the dragons probably aren't going to reach their full awesome size by the end of the books. I was promised gargantuan monsters that blot out the sun, drat it.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Ambiguatron posted:

I'm hoping that she still can't control Drogon and he ends up murdering the gently caress out of them. Then eats her.

Martin really hosed up the pacing here. Since there's no gap now, the dragons probably aren't going to reach their full awesome size by the end of the books. I was promised gargantuan monsters that blot out the sun, drat it.
I bet he'll have them grow bigger when Dany heads to Asshai. Because they sup from the magic that still remains in that place or something. SOMETHING big is going to happen when she gets there, it's been a cock tease for 4 books now about how she has to head east to get west.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

Ross posted:

Despite how well liked he is around here, I suspect any theory with Delorous Edd playing a central role is unlikely to come about.

Look at this guy, everybody.

Johnny Nomad
Feb 18, 2004

keyframe posted:

So, I did the math based on the release days, and fit a polynomial curve to the data. This best fit polynomial was found to be Date = 261.3*book^2 - 218.86*book Extrapolating from that, I have scientifically determined that The Winds of Winter will be released on October 4, 2018, and A Dream of Spring on June 17, 2027. The full data set can be seen here.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Right, close the thread, we've generated the equation of the meaning of life.

Date = 261.3*book^2 - 218.86*book isn't quite as elegant as 6*7=42, though.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Joke's on you, it's actually supposed to be an exponential curve.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Might be a better fit to (book-1).

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Dead Man Posting posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/58550/

New A Game of Thrones game called Genesis. It looks pretty old school RTS style thing. I should watch the videos though.

I'm just going to say that soundtrack is a mess.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
I just wanna say before the talk about the maesters takes on much more of a :tinfoil: tone that it seems to me that GRRM sort of took the religious order in medieval Europe and kind of sliced off the monastic portion from the churches that were more involved in every day life.

Maesters works as scribes, healers, and and do generally sciency stuff as well as tutor noble children and what have you. Oldtown has sort of a Vatican City feel to it if you ask me. Now if that means they have no agenda isn't clear. Unlikely, in any case, but I think it's a bit too simplistic to say "they must be against magic/dragons!" simply because more readers are all "ra ra magic/dragons" is a bit premature. Maybe they're just secular humanists and find all this gods business tiresome.

BTW why does Old Gods stuff resonate so much more than the other religions? I mean apart from being the religion of Our Brave Heroes it seems to be described more sympathetically than other religions. It doesn't burn anyone or have a wing of faceless assassins or an allusion to religious inquisition, it's just dudes sittin in the wood tripping on some shrooms and talking to a face in the tree.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I think they resonate more because they never seem to do a single goddamn thing for anyone who worships them.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

I think they resonate more because they never seem to do a single goddamn thing for anyone who worships them.

The 7 are the ones who never do a goddamn thing. The old gods (probably) do the Warging business.

The Old Gods are a very.. personal.. dialog-based religion, versus the religion of the 7 which is all about institutional faith.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Johnny Nomad posted:

So, I did the math based on the release days, and fit a polynomial curve to the data. This best fit polynomial was found to be Date = 261.3*book^2 - 218.86*book Extrapolating from that, I have scientifically determined that The Winds of Winter will be released on October 4, 2018, and A Dream of Spring on June 17, 2027. The full data set can be seen here.

What about book 8?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Just finished the book. If Jon is actually dead, I'm going to be very disappointed. Not because I care about him that much but because I care about Arya and she loves him and I was really hoping they'd be reunited at some point. :smith:

Speaking of Arya, her chapters were really awesome.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

BTW why does Old Gods stuff resonate so much more than the other religions?
I think it's because tree worshippers are chill guys.

quote:

It is called Maavalla Koda and has some three or four hundred members. Among them are Andres Heinapuu and his son Ott.

For them earth spirituality remains intensely personal - it is all about how you relate to the living things around you:

"The tree doesn't have ears. I think the question out loud in front of the tree. And then I feel somehow the answer be sent back.

So, I ask, you are actually having a conversation with the trees?

"Of course," says Andres.

I tell him that I would love to have a conversation with a tree, but how, I ask, can I talk to a natural object?

Ott explains that "the tree is a subject not an object" before telling me how the oak is judgmental while the rowan can be discerning at times.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Re prophecies: that one that Cersei had when she was a kid has been amazingly accurate so far, what with numbers of children and such. This does imply that Tommen's going to be dead quite soon.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Unkempt posted:

Re prophecies: that one that Cersei had when she was a kid has been amazingly accurate so far, what with numbers of children and such. This does imply that Tommen's going to be dead quite soon.

Nooo what will Ser Pounce do with his father figure dead? Finally begin his Hero's Journey with instruction from the black tomcat? Has this whole series been setup for Ser Pounce's voyages?

Sticky Profits
Aug 12, 2011

Dead Man Posting posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/58550/

New A Game of Thrones game called Genesis. It looks pretty old school RTS style thing. I should watch the videos though.

I really, really wouldn't hold out much hope. The only Cyanide Studios game I've played before was Pro Rugby Manager 2 and it was horrendous. How the hell they got this contract off the back of that and other thrilling titles such as Cycling Manager, Horse Racing Manager and Runaway! The Dream of the Turtle, i'll never know.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Unkempt posted:

Yes, the only real question is who will choke the life out of her? Jaime or Tyrion?

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

OperaMouse posted:

Yes, the only real question is who will choke the life out of her? Jaime or Tyrion?
It's obviously going to be Jaime, as he's reclaiming his honor and Cersei thinks it will be Tyrion and she's wrong about everything.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

bigmcgaffney posted:

Nooo what will Ser Pounce do with his father figure dead? Finally begin his Hero's Journey with instruction from the black tomcat? Has this whole series been setup for Ser Pounce's voyages?

Now I know what the point of the prologue was. Brandon Stark obviously warged into the black cat when he died.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

Now if that means they have no agenda isn't clear. Unlikely, in any case, but I think it's a bit too simplistic to say "they must be against magic/dragons!" simply because more readers are all "ra ra magic/dragons" is a bit premature.

It's been a while since I read Feast, but doesn't Marwyn pretty much say this outright?

Whitecloak
Dec 12, 2004

ARISE

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

It's been a while since I read Feast, but doesn't Marwyn pretty much say this outright?

If Glenn Beck told you to buy gold would you believe him without question?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Quantify! posted:

That was a pretty cool moment. Dany basically gets control of a huge army that can defeat all those assholes in Meereen simply by landing on a dragon and saying "Hey, what's up? Remember me? Yeah now I have dragons, serve me because otherwise I will projectile poo at you."

And the khalasar goes along with it because they follow the baddest dude around and no one wants to get shat on any more than necessary.

I'd get a kick out a scene in the next book where Dany is riding Drogon into battle, and he's breathing fire while she's dropping poop onto unsuspecting soldiers.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

BTW why does Old Gods stuff resonate so much more than the other religions? I mean apart from being the religion of Our Brave Heroes it seems to be described more sympathetically than other religions. It doesn't burn anyone or have a wing of faceless assassins or an allusion to religious inquisition, it's just dudes sittin in the wood tripping on some shrooms and talking to a face in the tree.
If anything, ADWD suggests that the Old Gods are kind of creepy. Bran's final vision from the Winterfell weirwood shows what appears to be a human sacrifice, and there are a few references to how tree worship in the north is a lot more bloody than it's practiced in the kingdoms. I think it was Asha's last chapter where she looked at some frozen weirwood sap and noticed that it looked exactly like frozen human blood, which I took as confirmation of something other characters have noticed but dismissed as impossible.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
That seemed to die in directly to Bloodraven become a tree and Bran kind of doing the same. That is to say, there's some kind of metamorphosis from human to tree-person going on. Who knows how those weirwood trees came to be, but maybe they were all greenseers who got treeified. That's not exactly bloody but there could well be a component of blood sacrifice we don't witness.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Sticky Profits posted:

I really, really wouldn't hold out much hope. The only Cyanide Studios game I've played before was Pro Rugby Manager 2 and it was horrendous. How the hell they got this contract off the back of that and other thrilling titles such as Cycling Manager, Horse Racing Manager and Runaway! The Dream of the Turtle, i'll never know.

What's worse is that Cyanide is making not one, but two ASoIaF games :smithicide: . One is the Genesis RTS, and another is an Oblivion-esque RPG where you play as a black brother; preview here (in French).

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

They did a pretty good job with the Blood Bowl game, but that was mostly just implementing a given ruleset to begin with. I remain cautiously optimistic.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

Quantify! posted:

It's obviously going to be Jaime, as he's reclaiming his honor and Cersei thinks it will be Tyrion and she's wrong about everything.

She will just assume Tyrion warged into Jaime.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OperaMouse posted:

It's pretty obvious that Rickon's gonna do it. with Shaggydog's teeth.

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"

Habibi posted:

I'd get a kick out a scene in the next book where Dany is riding Drogon into battle, and he's breathing fire while she's dropping poop onto unsuspecting soldiers.

Strong Belwas did it first :colbert:

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

OperaMouse posted:

I think there's a good case to be made for that part of the prophesy not being literal, namely because

1. Tyrion just joined up with a merc group called the Second Sons

2. Cersei believes that someone is going to literally choke her to death; Cersei is always wrong.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
My gut feeling is actually that Cercei will live but end up in some miserable state of affairs.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
Finished this awful piece of poo poo book today after rereading the entire series, most of which I'd totally forgotten about.

Things on my mind:

Who's gonna ride them dragons, assuming they don't randomly get killed and their idiotic mother actually brings them to Westeros?

If Jon is a Targ and gets his rez, there will be three Targs: Aegon, Jon, and Dany.

On the other hand, I was thinking the whole Bran arc was a setup for him to warg it up in an uncontrollable dragon at some point and roast the Others.

Edit: Yeah, Aegon, not Aemon. Oops. (Although thinking about Maester Aemon cruising the skies on the back of a dragon is awesome.

basx fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 14, 2011

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I thought Aemon had died already? Considering I skim through Samwell's chapters, I may be misremembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
He means Aegon, the dude that was milling around with Jon Connington pretending to be a mercenary's son (but is really a SECRET TARG).