Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
What is the general consensus on chinese ebay film? I need some 120 b&w, but I can't find anything in Aus cheaper than $5/roll.

(And before anyone suggests freestyle, put "Australia" in on their website and check the shipping price.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more
The Shanghai 100 is decent, but the base is notoriously curly, you're probably not going to get good scans/prints out of it without decent holders to hold it flat.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Captain Postal posted:

What is the general consensus on chinese ebay film? I need some 120 b&w, but I can't find anything in Aus cheaper than $5/roll.

(And before anyone suggests freestyle, put "Australia" in on their website and check the shipping price.)

Freestyle's actually not that great for 120 film in the US anyways (I think they just have the EDU, and for slightly more you can be shooting Acros), their prices are a bit higher than B&H/Adorama. Check shipping from the latter two; while not super-cheap, I think I remember international shipping being more reasonable from one or both of those two than Freestyle. I gotta get some HC-110 ordered soon.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Bobsledboy posted:

The Shanghai 100 is decent, but the base is notoriously curly, you're probably not going to get good scans/prints out of it without decent holders to hold it flat.

Shanghai is mediocre at best. You're getting 400 grain in a 100 film. I sometimes get the frame numbers on photos, and that's even on cameras with no red window. The only situation I've found that Shanghai GP3 shines is with flash photography, old-school press-style. I got some Lucky SHD100 in the mail the other day, but I haven't tested it. Dollar for dollar, if you can get Fuji Acros 100 at a good price, it's head and shoulders above anything from China.

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Postal posted:

Fellow Aussie here. $5 a roll is by far the cheapest I've heard of 120 b&w down here. Where's this coming from? (maybe I'm just not looking in the right places). Generally I've seen them $8-12/roll. drat Sydney.

I've also tried the Shanghai. It's not so bad for a bit of experimentation, but I seem to remember the base was seriously blue? I'm talking deep blue here. And I fixed the drat stuff for ages too. The actual resulting image was fine, just the base surprised me.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Nilson posted:

I've also tried the Shanghai. It's not so bad for a bit of experimentation, but I seem to remember the base was seriously blue? I'm talking deep blue here. And I fixed the drat stuff for ages too. The actual resulting image was fine, just the base surprised me.

Really? I found that in Ilford Rapid Fixer, Shanghai fixes super fast and the base is clear. What are you using?

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting
I actually like Shanghai GP3. I bought an enormous brick of 50 rolls in China for almost nothing and I've been using it as my workhorse ever since. It's not perfect, but by far the two most serious problems are the curling (put the negatives in archival sleeves for a while and they'll flatten out) and that the sealing paper's adhesive is lovely or not applied well (bring rubber bands). I've gotten nice results with Rodinal and never experienced the blue base issue.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

HPL posted:

Shanghai is mediocre at best. You're getting 400 grain in a 100 film. I sometimes get the frame numbers on photos, and that's even on cameras with no red window. The only situation I've found that Shanghai GP3 shines is with flash photography, old-school press-style. I got some Lucky SHD100 in the mail the other day, but I haven't tested it. Dollar for dollar, if you can get Fuji Acros 100 at a good price, it's head and shoulders above anything from China.

I do say that with respect to the fact that it's more than 100% cheaper than the next cheapest film you can get in Australia.

Ausgoons if you're after black and white stuff you should order from Chris at http://www.blanconegrosupplies.com.au/. It's not the cheapest but he's an incredibly nice guy to deal with and he is by far the best Australian film business.

Lofico is definitely cheaper, but I have some doubts about the quality of storage and age of the film etc.

Bobsledboy fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 13, 2011

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Bobsledboy posted:

I do say that with respect to the fact that it's more than 100% cheaper than the next cheapest film you can get in Australia.

Wait, they pay you to buy film in Australia?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've been buying film mostly from Hong Kong and Thailand ebay sellers with free shipping; it's slow but free is free and the film itself is a good price. I don't know if it applies to Australia, but I can't think of why not. Mostly I've been buying 35mm though, not much 120 so I'm not 100% certain these HK/Thai sellers offer it.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Wait, they pay you to buy film in Australia?

No I mean that the next cheapest thing you can get is about double the price per roll.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Nilson posted:

Fellow Aussie here. $5 a roll is by far the cheapest I've heard of 120 b&w down here. Where's this coming from? (maybe I'm just not looking in the right places). Generally I've seen them $8-12/roll. drat Sydney.

lofico, as mentioned by Bobsledboy.

Adorama just don't want international sales (minimum shipping of $60), Acros can be got from B&H under $5/roll w/ shipping but I'd need to order about 50 rolls to get enough volume to cover it.

I know that blanconegro is the go to place for serious b&w processing, but $6/roll to buy is too much regardless of how nice the guy is

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

ExecuDork posted:

I've been buying film mostly from Hong Kong and Thailand ebay sellers with free shipping; it's slow but free is free and the film itself is a good price. I don't know if it applies to Australia, but I can't think of why not. Mostly I've been buying 35mm though, not much 120 so I'm not 100% certain these HK/Thai sellers offer it.

I've done this a few times from Aus, price is decent and the film gets delivered in fairly reasonable time. Here's a link to a store that gets updated fairly regularly, always new stuff coming up:
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Film-Carnival?_rdc=1

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
how does fomapan rate? quick google check says 200 and 400 are slow but 100 is fine. I can live with that if the film is easier to scan than the chinese ones.

Also, is fomapan re-badged something else?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Captain Postal posted:

how does fomapan rate? quick google check says 200 and 400 are slow but 100 is fine. I can live with that if the film is easier to scan than the chinese ones.

Nope, Foma is a Czech company that makes film. For the record though, Arista.Edu film (from Freestylephoto) is re-badged Fomapan, just like Arista Premium 400 is re-badged Tri-X.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

Captain Postal posted:

My goto for daytime black and white is the Fomapan 400 metered at 320. It has really nice tones and shadow detail but I wouldn't push it any more than half a stop from box speed and expect much in the way of results.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Captain Postal posted:

The results can be acceptable (although I've heard some stories about emulsion flaws) but the slow speeds just aren't worth it. Arista EDU Ultra 100 is $2.79 per roll, and you can get Acros for $2.69 per roll from Adorama. 400 speed might be marginally worth it but honestly I'd rather pay $3.75 for a roll of Tri-X I know works great rather than $2.90 for something that may or may not deliver good results.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

The results can be acceptable (although I've heard some stories about emulsion flaws) but the slow speeds just aren't worth it. Arista EDU Ultra 100 is $2.79 per roll, and you can get Acros for $2.69 per roll from Adorama. 400 speed might be marginally worth it but honestly I'd rather pay $3.75 for a roll of Tri-X I know works great rather than $2.90 for something that may or may not deliver good results.

Arista from freestyle = $5.27/roll
Acros from Adorama = $5.69/roll
Tri-X from B&H = $6.25/roll

Those figures are based on buying in batches of 20 rolls. I will absolutely not go over $5/roll

These guys do NOT want international orders, and they gouge mercilessly on shipping. It costs $12 to ship a 4lb box ($25 registered) via USPS with 6-10 day delivery, they charge upto $60 to ship one roll.

There are a LOT of people in my predicament here and elsewhere looking for advice, and I'm sure any retailer that breaks ranks on shipping prices will make plenty of money.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 13, 2011

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Have you tried Amazon? They have Tri-X in 120 for $4. I don't know how much it costs to ship internationally through them.

I have Amazon prime and would be willing to proxy buy film and remail it as cheap as possible to international Dorkroomers. We should make a list of US Dorkroomers that wouldn't mind reshipping film to international folk.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 17, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

HPL posted:

I got some Lucky SHD100 in the mail the other day, but I haven't tested it. Dollar for dollar, if you can get Fuji Acros 100 at a good price, it's head and shoulders above anything from China.

Here's a drastically underdeveloped shot on expired Lucky SHD100 - held up to a light, the negatives were almost clear.

Tanker by epomorski, on Flickr

Very curly stuff, got newton rings on most of the scans, but Lucky SHD100 seems like a pretty decent film for sunny 16 mischief with old cameras.

Fortepan was pretty fun for flash photography too, but way grainier than I'd have expected from a 200 speed film.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 14, 2011

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
How does Ilford 400 hold up when pushed to 1600? I'm giving it a try but I've stalled mid-roll, and I've got my Hassy here in my apartment which gets quite warm during the day. I'm afraid what that might be doing to the film. I probably won't get a chance to take it out and shoot again until the weekend.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

What do you get from astia that you can't from provia and then desaturating a little bit?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Mannequin posted:

How does Ilford 400 hold up when pushed to 1600?

Both HP5 and Delta hold up very well. I often shoot both at 1600 and it's fine.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mannequin posted:

How does Ilford 400 hold up when pushed to 1600?

I've pushed HP5+ to 6400 before with usable results.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Neopan 400 is also very nice at 1600, as is TRI-X, actually all the most common choices of ISO 400 B&W film will pretty much fine up to at least 1600 I'd wager. Choice of developer and technique is likely the most important thing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

Both HP5 and Delta hold up very well. I often shoot both at 1600 and it's fine.
I've had the same experience.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

8th-samurai posted:

Have you tried Amazon? They have Tri-X in 120 for $4. I don't know how much it costs to ship internatioanlly through them.

I have Amazon prime and would be willing to proxy buy film and remail it as cheap as possible to international Dorkroomers. We should make a list of US Dorkroomers that wouldn't mind reshipping film to international folk.

For some reason amazon will only ship books internationally and nothing else. They're another company that figure they're making enough money already.

And reshipping would be brilliant, but how many 120 rolls can fit in a padded envelope?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

guidoanselmi posted:

What do you get from astia that you can't from provia and then desaturating a little bit?

I just like the colours it gives me more than Provia, it's warmer and tends to be more flattering on caucasian skin tones, whereas Provia can be harshly neutral.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I seem to remember someone getting some Ultrafine Extreme 400. What's your verdict, is it HP5+?

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
My first new film camera is in the post and should be arriving sometime today. Got frustrated with not being able to identify/source lenses for my Minolta (and the poo poo prices thanks to Nikonians converting them) so I picked up a Voigtlaender Bessa R3A w/ Nokton 40mm.

Gonna be so sweet. Now I just need time to shoot in between moving house and working.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Captain Postal posted:

For some reason amazon will only ship books internationally and nothing else. They're another company that figure they're making enough money already.

And reshipping would be brilliant, but how many 120 rolls can fit in a padded envelope?
This isn't true, I've had tons of things shipped internationally from Amazon. They won't ship big things, and certain other random things. Just look for "this item ships to select countries outside the US" or just add it to your cart and try to checkout.

I don't know whether they ship film, specifically overseas though.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

Captain Postal posted:

Arista from freestyle = $5.27/roll
Acros from Adorama = $5.69/roll
Tri-X from B&H = $6.25/roll

Those figures are based on buying in batches of 20 rolls. I will absolutely not go over $5/roll

These guys do NOT want international orders, and they gouge mercilessly on shipping. It costs $12 to ship a 4lb box ($25 registered) via USPS with 6-10 day delivery, they charge upto $60 to ship one roll.

There are a LOT of people in my predicament here and elsewhere looking for advice, and I'm sure any retailer that breaks ranks on shipping prices will make plenty of money.

Have you tried http://macodirect.de/ ?

71,40 Euros for a box of 20 rolls, but they also offer 40 roll boxes.

71,40 Euros = 98,18214 U.S. dollars 8 / 20 = 4.9

Shipping goes by weight and depends on where you live. Where are you?

EDIT: I see you're in Aus too. I get stuff from Maco and it's not too expensive. The only decent local shop is the new startup Lofico, but they're still pretty expensive: http://shop.lofico.com.au/category/120-bw

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Huh. Looks like amazon does ship to Aus. Colour me informed. They still charge $55 to do it though...

Schofferhofer posted:

Have you tried http://macodirect.de/ ?

Thanks for the link. Ever shipped something about the size of 20 rolls of film from them to Aus? I don't see where to get a shipping price without making an account. It looks like they are charging 19% VAT too. Since we're out of the EU, does that mean we shouldn't have to pay it? If so that changes everything.

Lofico is where I'm looking at getting foma from if I can't find anything better

edit: Also, I put this in the general info thread, but I thought film buffs might like it too. It's a manual for correctly composing and exposing images in space, and space-awesomeness aside, it actually does offer ideas and help for the most difficult of difficult lighting conditions. Courtesy of APUG today for those that haven't seen it there already.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 15, 2011

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
I'll have to email them for specifics regarding tax, but I don't think we pay it since we're outside the EU.

If you're in sydney I and a couple friends sometimes order poo poo from there and we can combine order, but I think they charge postage by weight.

EDIT: 11euro for postage. Takes a while tho.

Schofferhofer fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 15, 2011

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Another couple to try for shipping to Australia is:
https://www.ag-photographic.co.uk
They've got a great deal on Rollei Retro 100 still going (Agfa APX), I think its around 1.85 GBP per roll, and they are willing to ship anywhere.

And if you're after some Foma films, just buy directly from them, as they'll also ship anywhere:
http://www.fomafoto.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
yeah, most shops will ship anywhere but charge $40+ to do it. The lack of competition on trans-pac flights means that Qantas is making a killing on freight at the moment, so shipping from europe/asia will be cheaper

Schofferhofer - Yeah, Sydney goon here.

I asked before but didn't get much of a reply; are there any places that process C-41 for under $10/roll? Mail in is OK by me. It gets a bit frustrating listening to all these americans bitching that it cost more than a dollar for their last roll.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

Captain Postal posted:

I asked before but didn't get much of a reply; are there any places that process C-41 for under $10/roll? Mail in is OK by me. It gets a bit frustrating listening to all these americans bitching that it cost more than a dollar for their last roll.

A bunch of my friends have been using this guy for 4x5 c41.
http://www.photodan.com.au/shop.php

OjaiYoda
Nov 13, 2009

8th-samurai posted:

Have you tried Amazon? They have Tri-X in 120 for $4. I don't know how much it costs to ship internatioanlly through them.

adorama.com has Tri-X in 120 for $3.75 you have to pay for shipping, but if you pick up something else it would be worth it, especially if the other item had free shipping. that site has good prices, but they lag on shipping.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I lost the link, what was the page that showed the crazy dynamic range of Portra 400 with standard development?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

GWBBQ posted:

I lost the link, what was the page that showed the crazy dynamic range of Portra 400 with standard development?

http://www.landscapegb.com/2011/06/colour-film-comparison-pt-3/

http://www.landscapegb.com/2011/05/kodaks-new-portra-400-film/

I took a normally exposed photo with it and was able to turn it down and get pretty, normally exposed sunlit cloud highlights

I just wish the grain was a little smaller and/or the film was a little higher resolution so I could use it for wonderful landscapes (it may have been my technique the first time, but Ektar 100 seems much higher-res when I took a photo of the same scene later)