Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
http://twitter.com/!/jeb_/status/113729355087216640

AaronnnH: @jeb_ in the Minecraft Pre-Release 2, was the ability to change the time in creative mode taken away purposely? or was the keys changed?

Jeb_: @AaronnnH It wasn't intended to be included at all, it was a debug thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
What? Why would they decide that players in creative mode should not be able to do that?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Crackpipe posted:

The more I read about Endermen, the less excited I am.

A magically teleporting, one-hit-to-kill mob that busies itself moving your blocks around doesn't sound remotely fun.

I've seen plenty, but haven't pissed one off unless I was trying to. They're not that bad except for randomly stealing blocks. It's like jeb thought "you know what's missing from single player? Griefers!"

Honestly the only scary thing is them having the same sounds as zombies, since you hear that sound and you're not sure if it's a trivial-to-kill zombie or not.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

President Ark posted:

They're really rare. I've played a couple hours in 1.8.2 and seen exactly one, and it was hiding in the upper reaches of a ravine - I wouldn't have noticed it if they didn't have bright glowing eyes.

I didn't see any either until I began camping out atop my desert fortress. Out there, they show up pretty much every single night. They pulled a couple blocks out of my sand wall one night, which made me realize that I had to enderman-proof it.

I ringed it with exterior lights and began planting a staggered row of cacti 1 block from the wall. But this took several days to complete (I was letting the cactuses grow overnight, then break some of them in order to plant the next batch), and after the day I put up the outside torches, there were no more enderman thefts.

I finished the cactus barrier, and it's killed piles of zombies and spiders, and at least one creeper, but I haven't seen a single enderman wandering close to the wall anymore. Has anyone else seen evidence that they avoid lights, or was it just coincidence?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Javid posted:

It's like jeb thought "you know what's missing from single player? Griefers!"

This exists, they're called creepers. Especially if they somehow destroy a chest you JUST made and JUST stuffed with poo poo in preperation to make a minibase... :(

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

FatalT posted:

Welp I was having fun until Fox joined the server, caused a Creeper to blow up my house, and then killed me. Done with that!

Sorry to hear about that, I can make you an OP and you can kick/ban people as you see fit.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Oh god, I was in my house and spotted an enderman in the distance. He teleported right to my doorstep but didn't actually come into my house... but he did pop a block out of the wall so the skeletons could shoot me. :cry:

They're not nearly as bad as creepers in terms of ruining the landscape, though.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Senator Woofington posted:

Sorry to hear about that, I can make you an OP and you can kick/ban people as you see fit.

Wooooof you brought the sever back up? Missed it man!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Are there any servers where players build forts and have to defend against waves of monsters that the admin/other players can spawn in?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

FatalT posted:

Welp I was having fun until Fox joined the server, caused a Creeper to blow up my house, and then killed me. Done with that!

Sorry, Lost Shard mode :( I'll rebuild it!

FatalT
Sep 11, 2001

I'm BLUE da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee...

That would be nice!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Crackpipe posted:

A magically teleporting, one-hit-to-kill mob that busies itself moving your blocks around doesn't sound remotely fun.

They hardly ever attack you and they move barely any blocks and they do the same damage as zombies and they're really easy to kill and they're rare.

They're basically just something cool to look at.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Are they supposed to be rare? I see them every night, sometimes multiple ones.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This exists, they're called creepers. Especially if they somehow destroy a chest you JUST made and JUST stuffed with poo poo in preperation to make a minibase... :(

Creepers only go off if you're present, except in really rare situations. Endermen move poo poo around at random even if you're safely inside crafting.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Are they supposed to be rare? I see them every night, sometimes multiple ones.

I see a bunch every night - like a solid dozen milling around outside.

Gooch
Oct 30, 2006

AttackBacon posted:

Here's a seed I recommend to all you gentlemen: Land of Bacon

It spawns you next to a pair of sizable villages (one of which is bordering and on top of a lake) inside a large plains biome. The plains are flanked by a pair of large mountain ranges in between which is a bay leading out into the ocean. It's really dramatic and the starting area is the most peaceful, bucolic starting area I have ever encountered.
I second this. This is a good one I highly recommend it.

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
Skeletons seem a lot more deadly. Pre-1.8 I could circle around them and kill them no problem. Now they actually take the time to aim and hit accurately at close range. The upside to this is that I can 2 shot mobs with crit arrows. :mmmhmm:

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Crackpipe posted:

I think they'd be way cooler if not looking at enemies wasn't retarded. Give me a net to trap them in so I don't have to worry about these living bean stalks bothering me every time they show up.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

skinny white boy posted:

I think they'd be way cooler if not looking at enemies wasn't retarded. Give me a net to trap them in so I don't have to worry about these living bean stalks bothering me every time they show up.

The one time I've been attacked by an enderman, he hit like a ton of bricks. If he hadn't pushed me into water I would have been dead nearly right away.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Anyone else using the quandry pack for 1.8pre? It wont work for me :(

Also, Land of Bacon is pretty great!

Edit: vv ooooh, thanks!

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 14, 2011

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Bash Ironfist posted:

Anyone else using the quandry pack for 1.8pre? It wont work for me :(

Also, Land of Bacon is pretty great!

The Quandary pack zip file linked earlier in the thread has several season-themed packes. You need to pick one and copy that zip file out into the texturepacks folder.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:
I'm kind of liking Endermen, myself. They feel like the first mobs programmed to be jerks, and somehow I find that hilarious.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
I'm having really mixed feelings about this update. Apparently snow biomes won't be back until 1.9, Notch was/is rewriting all the biomes and hadn't finished them. Rewritten biomes is exciting, I loving love these oceans. I've been playing on this seed:

CJacobs posted:

So I spawned in the middle of an island and figured that it would eventually have to lead to land.

I was wrong.

This game is still loving awesome after all these months. :swoon:

CJacobs posted:

There you go, right from the spawn island. Enjoy! :)

Now imagine the water is all ice. Little islands of dirt, trees, and snow in an ocean of ice. That'd kick rear end. I'm a little annoyed that seeds might break again with 1.9 though.

That aside, the only issue I've had with the ocean biomes is there are no animals. No feathers, no leather, no meat, and no wool. No arrows, no cheap armor, no quick food, and no beds. No arrows isn't too bad since enemies are rare. No cheap armor would hurt more if armor sucked less. I almost starved getting a farm going, but that was impatience. My first bed was made from cobwebs, I guess it would make exploring harder, but the only way to explore is caves, so time of day is irrelevant.

Clockwork-Ringtail
Feb 28, 2007

The Sparky Madgirl
I honestly hate creepers more than I hate Endermen. At least the Endermen don't leave ugly craters in my beautifully manicured mushroom forest. My all time favorite mod was one that changes creeper explosions into a tree. They were called Treepers and they would still do damage, just turn into a tree. :unsmith:

Broken Loose posted:

Endermen are burned by water as if they were in sunlight.

If you're worried about Endermen pulling your house apart a block at a time, build a moat.

Or build your base underwater, and live under the sea!

Clockwork-Ringtail fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 14, 2011

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Endermen are burned by water as if they were in sunlight.

If you're worried about Endermen pulling your house apart a block at a time, build a moat.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I think the distinction between rear end in a top hat and jerk is an important one to make. A jerk tries to be semi-clever and restrained about his douchiness. An rear end in a top hat just goes all out. Endermen are jerks, creepers are assholes.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
I hate creepers a whole lot less now that dashing is in the game. Before handling one required making not a single misstep. Now they are trivial to deal with as long as they don't get the drop on you. I'm wired to mash on sprint the instant I hear that ssssSSSSS starting.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I've never actually played with monsters, and I'm too scared to. :(

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Odette posted:

I've never actually played with monsters, and I'm too scared to. :(

Good god, you're scared of monsters and you have that...thing as your avatar? I'M scared now.

IT'S LOOKING AT ME, gently caress.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This is a great idea, but the problem is to not make it irritating (as it eventually became in Terraria). I wish I was smart enough to figure it out because thinking up ways to make this game harder without being tedious is pretty difficult in itself

You could connect it to buildable or craftable things like the nether portal. You put certain blocks in a certain shape and do a thing to it and now you have a blood moon events or some other thing happens and if it gets too tedious just break the totem.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
new stuff i've noticed in 1.8 pre2.

when you move your view about, your arm slowly swings in the same direction.

The Fog Toggle key has returned! hurrah!

related to the same, i tried a zombie survival run in the Something Awful seed (hiding on rooftops, using bows, it's great fun) and had the fog set to max to increase ambience. even then, endermen still showed up as ghostly apparitions at what was normally max view distance, and they were all whitish too. until you looked at them and then everything goes wrong.

silverfish are still dicks.

i also want to rep this seed: 1662097789 as it starts you on a tiny island with two trees and lots of grass so you can get farming right quick. if you dig down on the same island you'll soon hit an abandoned mine network that's bloody large.

there's also an underwater ravine right near it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Taffer posted:

They hardly ever attack you and they move barely any blocks and they do the same damage as zombies and they're really easy to kill and they're rare.

They're basically just something cool to look at.

They're also damaged by rain and water in general

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Frobbe posted:

The Fog Toggle key has returned! hurrah!

Notch posted:

Remember when I took out the F key? @jeb_ put it back in. So I took it out again. ;) It doesn't BELONG! #codewar
Enjoy it while it lasts.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

You know what would help improve endermen?

If every block they moved became a silverfish infested block when they put it down.

Notch hire me.

Logtar
Sep 15, 2008

by T. Fine

AttackBacon posted:

Here's a seed I recommend to all you gentlemen: Land of Bacon

It spawns you next to a pair of sizable villages (one of which is bordering and on top of a lake) inside a large plains biome. The plains are flanked by a pair of large mountain ranges in between which is a bay leading out into the ocean. It's really dramatic and the starting area is the most peaceful, bucolic starting area I have ever encountered.

Love this seed, thank you :3

I had to connect all the doors of the houses with block paths, dumb rear end villagers are not good at town planning.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Logtar posted:

dumb rear end villagers are not good at town planning.

Seconded. I swear this isn't something I did.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
So I opped and deopped people. For now there are still no rules I guess but me and a friend were playing pure survival (which is now wickedly fun). Endermen still don't work in SMP :(

However we did start on a new world from a funny seed I tried. We started on a small island and decided to go north, this was our journey. Holy poo poo.

I think it took something like 7 days of pure sailing. Awesome.

That tip at the left is the main piece of land we found, a sprawling forest. It might not look it but that little section is HUGE.

Senator Woofington fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 14, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I want to see a full ocean crossing. From one continent to another.

I kinda feel like islands are too frequent.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I want to see a full ocean crossing. From one continent to another.

I kinda feel like islands are too frequent.

I dunno, looking at that map it looks like there was more land than it felt like on the journey. I swear we wouldn't see land forever and then we'd see a tiny little plot of dirt. I kind of like it like that, otherwise its just too plain and boring. But different strokes I guess. It still feels desolate though because most the islands are treeless. Seriously this game keeps reeling me back in.

edit: our coordinates were 14,000+ in one direction.
double edit: The seed is "A brand new place I never knew" without the quotes.

Senator Woofington fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 14, 2011

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

So I opped and deopped people. For now there are still no rules I guess but me and a friend were playing pure survival (which is now wickedly fun). Endermen still don't work in SMP :(

However we did start on a new world from a funny seed I tried. We started on a small island and decided to go north, this was our journey. Holy poo poo.

I think it took something like 7 days of pure sailing. Awesome.

That tip at the left is the main piece of land we found, a sprawling forest. It might not look it but that little section is HUGE.

Gawd dangit, you guys were sailing that entire time?

That's awesome! I think I went the exact opposite direction as you guys. My island is the farthest bottom section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Arkitektbmw posted:

Gawd dangit, you guys were sailing that entire time?

That's awesome! I think I went the exact opposite direction as you guys. My island is the farthest bottom section.

Yeah you must have travelled for about a day. I'm gonna leave you OP'd make sure people don't poo poo up the server too bad.