Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
After more checking, not a single one of my characters would survive the change to silver in any recognizable way at all. Why did they remove such a large number of the old costume parts from the free client? I mean I understand making everything new only available in the shop, but every single costume I have gets turned into "man wearing bullet proof vest" when I check what they're look like without buying new pieces. Shame, I wanted to play Mecha Monkey again. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cuchulain posted:

It is. With everything maxed I get 60 FPS here, and only about 30 in CoH.

Though it isn't 1:1, CoX is really inefficient.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Aphrodite posted:

Though it isn't 1:1, CoX is really inefficient.

CoX is really inefficient but at least it's not EQ2. :allears: Talk about horribly optimized games.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

By the way, some news hidden away on the forums:

Earth powerset coming in December. Brick category. Potentially Wind too.

Unarmed review apparently has some awesome new animations.

Also planning has begun on a new zone.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

pawsplay posted:

Wait for the Direct X 11 roundtable to finish their final recommendations? ... But seriously, all you can do is run Direct X 10, or run Direct X 11 at the second highest level settings.

There is no DirectX 10 option, sadly.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
So Blood Moon is coming up - is it still possible to earn the costume pieces that are in the store, or is buying them with cpoints the only way to get them nowadays?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Benjamin Black posted:

So Blood Moon is coming up - is it still possible to earn the costume pieces that are in the store, or is buying them with cpoints the only way to get them nowadays?

You still can, but now I think they're random drops instead of guaranteed from the Crypt Missions or something.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I really want that skull full mask from taklofanes.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
So here's a hero I made after spamming the random button a million times.

He's a gladiator that hails from a dystopian post-apocalyptic future where the ruined world is ruled by sorcerer kings. He came across a time portal and now fights to prevent armageddon.

It wouldn't let me name him Terminus for some reason so he's Turminus.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Benjamin Black posted:

It wouldn't let me name him Terminus for some reason so he's Turminus.
A minor character in Marvel Comics apparently I guess? I don't follow these things, but their name filter is (unsurprisingly) pretty anal about existing comic characters names, especially after Cryptic got sued by Marvel over COH back in the day.

Aphrodite posted:

By the way, some news hidden away on the forums:

Earth powerset coming in December. Brick category. Potentially Wind too.

Unarmed review apparently has some awesome new animations.

Also planning has begun on a new zone.
Handy. New powersets are always good, and there's definitely room for fleshing out the "elemental" powersets. Any hint on what the new zone would be though? I know they mentioned redoing Lemuria in some way, but unsure if that's what's meant or not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's because CO started as a Marvel game, remember? The filter list has nearly every character to ever appear in a Marvel game plugged in there.

It's looser about DC.

Incidentally, DCUO lets you use quite a lot of DC character names. Not just minor 2-3 issue guys either. I saw a Katma Tui recently, and someone in Goon Patrol made a lot of them.

Asimo posted:

Handy. New powersets are always good, and there's definitely room for fleshing out the "elemental" powersets. Any hint on what the new zone would be though? I know they mentioned redoing Lemuria in some way, but unsure if that's what's meant or not.

He said it's very, very preliminary. Basically it's "We're going to make a new zone eventually, what should it be?"

Level range, size, locale etc. haven't been decided yet.

Also I have a new idea for a CC category. Back to the Future 2015 fashion.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 10, 2011

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's because CO started as a Marvel game, remember? The filter list has nearly every character to ever appear in a Marvel game plugged in there.

It's looser about DC.
I forgot entirely actually. :downs: But yeah, I imagine they just pulled up a list either from Marvel or self-compiled by a lawyer and threw it in. It's somewhat annoying because there's a lot of otherwise simple or common words that have been taken by some bit character and locked out. Fortunately you can get around this sometimes with, uh, creative spelling or multi-word names.

quote:

He said it's very, very preliminary. Basically it's "We're going to make a new zone eventually, what should it be?"

Level range, size, locale etc. haven't been decided yet.
Yeah. Actually, I'll just drop the post here for convenience sake now that I went to check.

No need to bug anyone. I'll get a jump on this months ask Cryptic.
Disclaimer: The following is in development and subject to change

Powers:
Earth framework (Brick) this year -December. Potentially Wind as well.
Earth AT (potentially Wind as well)
Unarmed review (Seriously the anims so far are crazy A-MAZE-ING!)
Unarmed AT's (potentially a Tank and DPS)
Infernal Review and AT
Continued bug fixes and improvements

Zone: (Very preliminary, very early)
Planning now, designing next then building (Nick needs to finish Alerts and Events before he can start blocking the new zone)
Considerations-
-Size and scope
-Types of content
-Potential for Increased level cap
-Location (leaning towards city but we are discussing)

We are really excited about what we have planned for this year and next. More info as there are updates to share. Remember.. just because I dont mention a power set in an ask cryptic or SotG doesn't mean it is not happening. The earth set has not started yet so there are no real updates. Hope this info helps...

Thanks a ton!

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Incidentally, DCUO lets you use quite a lot of DC character names. Not just minor 2-3 issue guys either. I saw a Katma Tui recently, and someone in Goon Patrol made a lot of them.

Speaking of, how's DCUO been doing? It seems like every MMO that doesn't have a F2P system is either WoW, Rift, or on the verge of dying.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think I might drop Newfoundland and go with this.

Objections? Suggestions? Contributions (Money)?

Historical Figures Made Appealing to Anime Nerds.
Best Simultaneous Parody of Deadpool and Hulk Hogan.
Superhero Celebrity Endorsement (I'm thinking more Dollar Bill from Watchmen than Booster Gold here. As in it's not a supersuit NASCAR-ed out, it's a hero whose entire costume is designed as an ad for a particular product)
...gently caress the Ocean.
Back to the Future 2015 Fashion.

Benjamin Black posted:

Speaking of, how's DCUO been doing? It seems like every MMO that doesn't have a F2P system is either WoW, Rift, or on the verge of dying.

I don't know, I only played for a few hours 2 nights ago.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Benjamin Black posted:

All accounts I've heard have been along the lines of "horribly". In addition to being crippled by SOE management as expected, there was a pretty severe drop off early in, and the game launched not long before PSN got hacked, meaning it was taken offline for a month. Which had the predictable effect on player retention. I imagine both CO and CoH going F2P haven't helped either. Whoops.

But I haven't really followed it closely, I'm sure someone else can give a more accurate summary.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CC advertising is fun. You guys should stop making me do all the work and try it.

Plus I'm posting this because humor is wasted on the Contests channel idiots.

(9:30:57 PM) ReinWeissRitter: Hey guys, guess what?
(9:31:01 PM) ReinWeissRitter: It's sneak peek time!
(9:31:53 PM) ReinWeissRitter: Tonight, a new category from the Supergoons' "Bi, Weakly" Fortnightary Roughly Half of the Average Monthitary Not for 8 Daysavory Costume Contest
(9:33:42 PM) ReinWeissRitter: This is a prep time costume contest. Not a dumb-categories-we-thought-were-funny-and-from-all-reports-most-other-people-did-too-except-for-a-few-sticks-in-the-mud-and-also-up-their-butts.
(9:33:44 PM) ReinWeissRitter: Full details will be available by the end of the weekend
(9:33:57 PM) ReinWeissRitter: So, are all of you ready? And by all I mean the one person actually humoring me and responding?
(9:34:05 PM) ReinWeissRitter: I can't hear you! ...Literally
(9:34:30 PM) ReinWeissRitter: The category is......
(9:34:38 PM) ReinWeissRitter: Superhero Celebrity Endorsement!
(9:34:53 PM) ReinWeissRitter: I want to see a costume that, if done properly, immediately makes me think of a particular real world product
(9:35:34 PM) ReinWeissRitter: No Booster Gold NASCAR patches here. I want something like Duff Man, Pepsiman, the Burger King
(9:35:44 PM) ReinWeissRitter: Note: If you actually use one of those I will disqualify and also punch you
(9:43:32 PM) ReinWeissRitter: So to summarize, the categories snuck pucked thus far include: Historical Figures Made Appealing to Anime Nerds, Best Simultaneous Parody of Deadpool and Hulk Hogan
(9:43:33 PM) ReinWeissRitter: and Superhero Celebrity Endorsement
(9:43:56 PM) ReinWeissRitter: I also snack packed Newfoundland but we decided to drop that category because Newfoundland sucks and also you can only judge so many people using fishing hats and tornado flight
(9:44:15 PM) ReinWeissRitter: So Newfoundland is out
(9:44:27 PM) ReinWeissRitter: Plus their timezone is off by a half hour and we just don't know how to schedule that
(Questions about historical figures category)
(9:48:07 PM) ReinWeissRitter: It can be anyone. From Anne Frankenstein to George Washingtonofexposition
(9:48:21 PM) ReinWeissRitter: I don't know what Frankenstein has to do with anime I just really wanted to say Anne Frankenstein
(9:49:18 PM) ReinWeissRitter: Now, Anne Frank as a ninja? That's anime
(9:49:24 PM) ReinWeissRitter: The Nazis would never hear her coming
(9:49:49 PM) ReinWeissRitter: Tip: Eye slider
(9:51:10 PM) ReinWeissRitter: King Kamehamaha seems like it writes itself already
(9:51:33 PM) ReinWeissRitter: Note: If you use any of my ideas that's not cool
(9:51:39 PM) ReinWeissRitter: I mean you'll win because they're great, but... not cool
(9:52:55 PM) P0t3mk1n: Hey, guys? Kinda advertising a CC here, can you move this to TALKTALK?
(9:53:02 PM) ReinWeissRitter: This is a CC advertisement
(9:53:26 PM) ReinWeissRitter: I'm doing a new stream of consciousness style of advertising. It's sweeping the nation
(9:53:44 PM) ReinWeissRitter: And by that I mean it is very unsuccessful and is forced to work as a janitor

pawsplay
Jul 12, 2011

Asimo posted:

All accounts I've heard have been along the lines of "horribly". In addition to being crippled by SOE management as expected, there was a pretty severe drop off early in, and the game launched not long before PSN got hacked, meaning it was taken offline for a month. Which had the predictable effect on player retention. I imagine both CO and CoH going F2P haven't helped either. Whoops.

But I haven't really followed it closely, I'm sure someone else can give a more accurate summary.

My friend told me to never take a power set, just use the the basic abilities. That pretty much killed it for me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

whaaaat has just submitted probably the best category idea ever.

"Costume Most Likely Made Just For This Category"

I now have a dilemma. What do we ditch? Or do we just add another?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
I'd say save that for the next one. We've already chosen what we should do for this round, and we also don't want to exactly wear out people with a ton of categories on the flipside.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have a second dilemma.

The Contests channel is really stupid and I can't use the word "gently caress". It's just not the same if you can't call the category that.

vvv God drat it why didn't I think of that?

I mean that honestly, I am way more clever than you and should have thought of that. vvv

Also it's all set. Those are the 5 categories. Now we need the monies.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 10, 2011

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

"Gently Caress."

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Am I able to enter in the costume contest or are goons inelegible inelidgible inelegable inelidgable not able to?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If the character isn't in one of the SGs I guess you can enter, but if you are that would be bad if you won.

Funny, but bad.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I have a second dilemma.

The Contests channel is really stupid and I can't use the word "gently caress". It's just not the same if you can't call the category that.

vvv God drat it why didn't I think of that?

I mean that honestly, I am way more clever than you and should have thought of that. vvv

Also it's all set. Those are the 5 categories. Now we need the monies.

Gotta watch out or you will be permanently muted.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
I can't believe you folks missed the chance to post this already!

At least it isn't more furry stuff.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Mewnie posted:

Left to right: Dr. Orville Odd, Natazza, Lermin.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Mewnie posted:

Spaghetti legs.

Worth the cash for the beards.

pawsplay
Jul 12, 2011
I'm still mystified why skeletal defects seem to be associated with female attractiveness in the minds of some people. Give that girl some scoliosis, knock knees, and an abnormal pelvis that will make childbirth difficulty... sexy!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

pawsplay posted:

I'm still mystified why skeletal defects seem to be associated with female attractiveness in the minds of some people. Give that girl some scoliosis, knock knees, and an abnormal pelvis that will make childbirth difficulty... sexy!

Welcome to the misogynistic ghetto that was is comic books. :suicide: And yes, I know pulling from Liefeld isn't fair, but it's such a... succinct example. And indicative of styles during the peak of the iron age and the late 90's, when I imagine most of the players (and I suspect a good number of the devs) were growing up.

Apathy=Awesome
Jun 17, 2003

♫♪♫ Check it! ♫♪♫
Speak for yourself man, foot binding is kinda hot . . .

Chernobyl baby
Jul 19, 2011
Champions' art style always struck me as being really reminiscent of 90s comics so in a dumb way all the horrible costumes and female models totally make sense!

Don't mind me by the way; lifetimer who isn't gonna play anymore till they finally add the loving foundry.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
I used to really like this game. Now it seems that it has been relegated to my boredom bin. Every time a new costume pack or hideout gets released, I get it, fly around with my new shiny toys for 5 minutes, and then move on. I want to like this game as a superhero game so much, but I just can't. :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This isn't the DCUO thread, silly.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Brain wave, let super speed run up walls, and let acrobatics wall jump.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

ColHannibal posted:

I've been saying this since literally day one. Burrowing and superspeed both need some vertical movement capability.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
It's lot less of an issue with super speed, in my experience. If you tap the jump button right (a very short tap) while running at full speed, you can make pretty high jumps. To give an idea, I can get up onto the short side of the RenCen awning from ground level using this technique.

Burrowing, however, really needs something to augment it. Sure, it hides you, but it takes 4 seconds to activate, and you can't cover anything vertically at all.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Bluhman posted:

It's lot less of an issue with super speed, in my experience. If you tap the jump button right (a very short tap) while running at full speed, you can make pretty high jumps. To give an idea, I can get up onto the short side of the RenCen awning from ground level using this technique.

Yeah, I always thought this was sorta weird. The power says it raises your jump height, but it only seems to do it if you just let momentum do its job, as opposed to doing a full controlled jump.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

ColHannibal posted:

This is quite literally the only good thing about DCUO. God drat those travel powers are so much fun there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At some point they snuck in a delay of the Golden Age costume set to next week.

The ranges for updates have also been adjusted to Wednesday-Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
^^^ Yeah, Cryptic is regressing to old habits again.

randombattle posted:

This is quite literally the only good thing about DCUO. God drat those travel powers are so much fun there.

Except how superspeed liked to stick to even the smallest outcropping, loving up your camera and controls.