Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FitFortDanga posted:

No snow globe, no sale.

The disc is in the house inside the snow globe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The disc is in the house inside the snow globe.

You have to drop the globe on the ground and whisper "Rosebud" to get the disc out.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

You have to drop the globe on the ground and whisper "Rosebud" to get the disc out.

Note, no one should be in the room with you when you do this.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Note, no one should be in the room with you when you do this.

But it needs to be in a drafty old house so a nearby servant can hear you.

:trollface:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The massive box set version of The Goonies went on sale at Amazon. $17.49

quote:

This Ultimate Collector's Edition release also arrives with a massive illustrated souvenir magazine; reprint of an original article from 2009, guest-edited by Steven Spielberg; ten collectible storyboard prints housed in a large envelope; and an exclusive board game.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B000QFW7UA

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sporadic posted:

The massive box set version of The Goonies went on sale at Amazon. $17.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B000QFW7UA

edit: Nevermind I'm wrong!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 11, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BonoMan posted:

The reviews are saying that this is a terrible region 2 transfer and not region 1. The official us release is in October.

They are wrong.

Yes, Warner used the same transfer they used for the region 2 release for this release. There is a disc only version coming out but it is the same disc. No new transfer.

quote:

Warner Bros. has plans to release a movie-only edition of their beloved 1985 adventure comedy The Goonies. The release will come in a standard Blu-ray case and omit all of the collectible items packaged in the 25th Anniversary Edition box set.

The disc itself will be identical to the one included on the Anniversary Edition, which featured Dolby True HD 5.1 sound and a 2:40:1 aspect ratio. For a more detailed description, check out our review here.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7039

quote:

Presented in an aspect ratio of 2.40:1, encoded with VC-1 and granted a 1080p transfer, Richard Donner's The Goonies arrives on Blu-ray courtesy of Warner Brothers.

This is a fairly good high-definition transfer, and one that appears to be practically identical to the high-definition transfer Warner Brothers used for their UK Blu-ray release of The Goonies. Generally speaking, fine object detail is mostly pleasing, clarity adequate, and contrast levels consistent throughout the entire film. The color-scheme does not disappoint either - with a few minor exceptions, blues, yellows, greens, browns, and blacks look natural. However, as it was the case with the UK transfer, this 'new' transfer also looks somewhat soft - there are many traces of sporadic mild to moderate filtering. Still, a good dose of healthy grain has been retained, but a lot of it is also mixed with noise. Additionally, edge-enhancement is not a serious issue of concern, but occasionally it is rather easy to spot. There are no serious stability issues either. Lastly, I did not see any annoying cuts, warps, large marks, or stains, to report in this review. (Note: This is a Region-Free Blu-ray disc. Therefore, you will be able to play it on your PS3 or SA regardless of your geographical location).

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Goonies-Blu-ray/993/#Review

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Any word on the quality of the December 13th release of The Rocketeer?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
The new Star Wars blu rays came out here on Friday and I've been hearing they aren't selling well at all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Slasherfan posted:

The new Star Wars blu rays came out here on Friday and I've been hearing they aren't selling well at all.

Good. gently caress that nonsense.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Who would buy that poo poo at this point. Every release is more hosed than the last. They've literally gone from "I can't believe these visual effects were achieved in the 70's, holy poo poo!" to "why does this crappy CGI-driven movie look like it was filmed in the 70's?"

He's finally hosed them so hard there's nothing left to enjoy unless you want to laugh at yourself for once enjoying these shitheaps.

Motherfucker ought to be ashamed of himself.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

FitFortDanga posted:

The Apartment is up for pre-order on Amazon with a release date of 9/13. I dunno if it's a mistake or what, but I ordered it.

They've taken it down.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Red posted:

Big Trouble in Little China finally dropped to $10 at Wal-Mart, in case you've been waiting for that one to go on sale.

I'm pretty sure I saw it for $7.99 at Target last week too. I'll check again next time I'm there. All the stuff Target's had at 10 bucks on their bargain rack is now $7.99, like Speed and Super Troopers (which is a surprisingly great transfer).

Prices be droppin' and I'm a happy camper.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

They've taken it down.

Yeah, I saw. I hope that changes around again soon.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Slasherfan posted:

Where is here? Also awesome news wherever you are at!

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Breakfast at Tiffany's looks pretty drat good. (and it looks like DVDBeaver are back to inaccurate, blurry screenshots)

...and the 2002 Special Edition of ET will not be on the Blu-Ray release.

quote:

ET Blu-Ray: It’s coming. Spielberg said he wanted to poll the audience. He asked us if there was anybody in the crowd that would be disappointed if the 2002 Special Edition was not included on the Blu, if it was only the original 1982 version. He was greeted with a roaring “No!” from the crowd and said, “Well, that settles it then.” So, he strongly implied the ET Blu-Ray will be the original theatrical cut only and not even include the gun-less, penis breath-less CGI’d ET version.

On the ET SE: Spielberg said he let the immense criticism from parent groups after the theatrical release of ET get to him, which is what prompted the guns being taken out and the removal of the penis-breath line. He admitted that was a mistake and that he realized after the fact that changing the movie was “robbing the people of their memories of the movie.” He had a very hard time with that and said he confirmed what he told me in our interview that you won’t see any more digital tinkering in future releases of his films.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

quote:

Spielberg said he wanted to poll the audience. He asked us if there was anybody in the crowd that would be disappointed if the 2002 Special Edition was not included on the Blu, if it was only the original 1982 version. He was greeted with a roaring “No!” from the crowd and said, “Well, that settles it then.”

Hey Spielberg. I love you. :allears:

Hey Lucas. Up yours.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cancelled the Star Wars set :neckbeard:

Maybe if they see enough cancellations or low sales, Lucas will rethink the stupid "one edition" mentality.

Looking forward to more Spielberg. I think the 2002 edition of E.T. should be included as an extra, but that's awesome that he's fine with omitting it entirely.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Cancelled the Star Wars set :neckbeard:

Maybe if they see enough cancellations or low sales, Lucas will rethink the stupid "one edition" mentality.

You are one of the few.

Blu-Ray.com reiew posted:

Here's the thing; ever since the The Complete Saga was announced, I was aware of the controversies, I had a hunch the original trilogy wouldn't be included in its untouched state, and I knew any new changes were going to be debated far and wide. This left me rather indifferent to the whole idea of revisiting Star Wars. But when I actually got the set in my hands, something changed. At pains of sounding like a sap, I started to feel that inner childhood giddiness bubbling up. And then, when I popped A New Hope into my Blu-ray player and heard John William's iconic fanfare over that familiar yellow text crawl, it hit me—I wasn't going to let any residual bitterness over George Lucas' endless alterations bother me. I was going to have a blast watching these films. And I did. Sure, there were moments when I winced the wince of a man getting a cavity filled without anesthetic, and yes, I still think the prequels—for the most part—are a monumental disappointment, but given the choice between a Star Wars that isn't exactly to my liking and no Star Wars at all, I've decided to be happy with the former and bide my time.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

frumpsnake posted:

Breakfast at Tiffany's looks pretty drat good. (and it looks like DVDBeaver are back to inaccurate, blurry screenshots)

Is Roman Holiday coming to Blu anytime soon??

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sporadic posted:

You are one of the few.

Sadly this has been the general consensus, from what I've read.

The worst reason for buying it being, "Come on, it's Star Wars! In whatever form, it's always going to be good!"

poo poo is gonna sell like hotcakes.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Still, I decided $90 is too much considering the prequels aren't films I plan on revisiting much. I would have kept the original trilogy on pre-order if the extras were not exclusive to the 9-disc set.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I grabbed the Citizen Kane digibook at Best Buy today, and for anyone wondering about discs it's a 2 disc set: the Citizen Kane blu-ray, and a dvd of The Battle For Citizen Kane. So, as far as difference in disc content, the only thing you miss out on compared to buying the UCE is a dvd of RKO 281 (for those unaware, that's a film dramatization of The Battle For Citizen Kane).

In other Best Buy news, people are finally beginning to see Archer Season 1 officially put out. As well, the Amazon pre-order listing has reverted to "Product unavailable" and pre-orders are being delayed. So, I guess that Best Buy Exclusive sticker might be accurate after all, at least for now.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 13, 2011

Bert Fegg
Sep 3, 2006

For anyone in Canada the Gandhi 25th Anniversary Edition is on sale for $9.99 at Future Shop until Oct. 13.

Bought it tonight - popped it into the machine - 2.5 minutes of unskippable ads for things like Starship Troopers III. Yay.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Bert Fegg posted:

For anyone in Canada the Gandhi 25th Anniversary Edition is on sale for $9.99 at Future Shop until Oct. 13.

Bought it tonight - popped it into the machine - 2.5 minutes of unskippable ads for things like Starship Troopers III. Yay.

It appears they're testing your commitment to non-violent resistance.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

The Pacific is only $38 for today at amazon.

Dr Assinine
Mar 8, 2007
Breaking Bad - Blu-ray Seasons 1, 2, & 3 are all 1/2 price at Amazon.com right now.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?field-keywords=breaking+bad+blu+ray&url=search-alias%3Daps&x=0&y=0

Yesterday I picked up the Citizen Kane Ultimate Collectors Edition Blu-ray at Best Buy for $29.99 due to sweet-talking a salesperson(actual price was $49.99). It's a 3 disc set loaded with goodies like a production note-book and other collector nonsense. Very pleased I got it for such a ridiculous price.

I also picked up Close Encounters of the Third Kind 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition for $14.99!!. And Clockwork Orange Anniversary Edition with booklet for $19.99.

I'm a sucker for those booklet shaped, special edition Blu-Ray packages when I catch them on sale.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The whole Star Wars changes saga... thing... doesn't fill me with spergin' nerd rage, it just makes me depressed. Why can't I watch a fun old movie I liked as a kid and have it look good on my TV?

:smith:

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
For me part of the charm of the old movies is the practical effects, the effort someone had to go through to make it work on screen. Throwing CGI everywhere ruins it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dr Assinine posted:

Breaking Bad - Blu-ray Seasons 1, 2, & 3 are all 1/2 price at Amazon.com right now.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?field-keywords=breaking+bad+blu+ray&url=search-alias%3Daps&x=0&y=0

I don't see Season 3 on sale, unless I'm missing something painfully obvious.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't see Season 3 on sale, unless I'm missing something painfully obvious.
Shows up $26.99 for me. Was it out of stock when you checked?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Harlock posted:

Shows up $26.99 for me. Was it out of stock when you checked?

Oh, when it was "half off," I was expecting it to be < $20 like Seasons 1 and 2. I guess I didn't notice that Season 3 was more expensive! :downs:

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

sean10mm posted:

The whole Star Wars changes saga... thing... doesn't fill me with spergin' nerd rage, it just makes me depressed. Why can't I watch a fun old movie I liked as a kid and have it look good on my TV?

:smith:

You sort of can, like with that "DeSpecialized Edition" that a fan made.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sand Monster posted:

You sort of can, like with that "DeSpecialized Edition" that a fan made.

Yup, all you have to do is crawl around obscure messageboards or torrent sites, somehow become a member of a private tracker, then download it illegally, then either burn it to a Blu-Ray or stream it to your TV. Simple!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

feedmyleg posted:

Yup, all you have to do is crawl around obscure messageboards or torrent sites, somehow become a member of a private tracker, then download it illegally, then either burn it to a Blu-Ray or stream it to your TV. Simple!

:laugh:

I can't go into specifics but you are really overstating the difficulty.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Not wanting to get into a :filez: discussion, but one of those 4 steps is accurate. Guess which one it is.

Can we go back to talking about Blu-Rays? :(

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 14, 2011

Dbeatles34
Jan 7, 2004
Dr. Sammy G
Lucas has enough money. Pirating the versions he won't make available should be legal.

But I don't know if they've been upscaled to Blu-Ray quality by anyone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dbeatles34 posted:

Lucas has enough money. Pirating the versions he won't make available should be legal.

But I don't know if they've been upscaled to Blu-Ray quality by anyone.

I don't think that's even possible unless someone transfers an actual print to a digital file (which is probably impossible). I think a lot of the original footage just doesn't exist in good quality.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I posted a while back about one of my Back to the Future BDs being messed up, asking about return/exchange experiences with studios. Well I went through it, basically just filled out a form on Universal's page, filled out and printed a questionnaire they emailed me, and sent it off in a postage paid envelope they sent me. It ended up being free since it was a defect out of the box (vs about $7-8 for user damaged replacements) and overall a pretty painless process. It just took a while, about a month looking at the first email I got.

That count as talking about Blu-Rays, right? :downs:.

And watching through III a few days ago, I got to see this moment in HD!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don't think that's even possible unless someone transfers an actual print to a digital file (which is probably impossible). I think a lot of the original footage just doesn't exist in good quality.
It's been mentioned that there are high quality prints out there, I forget the term for them but they look great apparently and should be fine for BD transfers. And something about Lucas still having a pristine master print or something. He just does not want to release them without the extra tinkering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Drop it! You all know exactly what I mean.

• Locked thread