Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Starshark posted:

I'm in the mood for a botched-heist movie. Good examples are Reservoir Dogs and Dog Day Afternoon, but can include early noir like White Heat (it counts because an undercover cop wrecks their final heist of the film, but it isn't a prime example of one). Does anyone know of any more I could catch?

The Killing
The Asphalt Jungle
Cruel Gun Story
Armored Car Robbery
Odds Against Tomorrow
Bottle Rocket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Starshark posted:

I'm in the mood for a botched-heist movie. Good examples are Reservoir Dogs and Dog Day Afternoon, but can include early noir like White Heat (it counts because an undercover cop wrecks their final heist of the film, but it isn't a prime example of one). Does anyone know of any more I could catch?

The Friends of Eddie Coyle

and these by Jean-Pierre Melville:
Bob le Flambeur
Le Doulos
Le Cercle Rouge
Le Deuxieme Souffle

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Starshark posted:

The Lookout

And while not a heist, is about a botched job:
Things to do in Denver When You're Dead

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life
What are some good war movies? I've only seen like apocalpyse now (probably my favorite movie) and the deer hunter.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

RollingBoBo posted:

What are some good war movies? I've only seen like apocalpyse now (probably my favorite movie) and the deer hunter.

That's kind of a broad request. Paths of Glory is one you should watch, though.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
War movies? Yeah, you'll want to narrow that down a little. If you want to go right back, then you can't go wrong with starting with Zulu, which is one of the best war films of all time.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Definitely watch Band of Brothers if you haven't seen it.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

RollingBoBo posted:

World War I
Paths of Glory
All Quiet on the Western Front
The African Queen :D
The Grand Illusion
Johnny Got His Gun
Sergeant York (Forrest Gump before Forrest Gump)
Gallipoli

World War II
Das Boot
Band of Brothers
The Pacific
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Saving Private Ryan
The Thin Red Line
The Dirty Dozen
Kelly's Heroes
Attack
Patton
Kanal
The Great Escape
The Big Red One
Tora! Tora! Tora!
A Bridge Too Far
The Guns of Navarone
Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino)
Inglorious Bastards (1978, Castellari)
Cross of Iron
Hell in the Pacific

Vietnam War
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Hamburger Hill
Rescue Dawn

Civil War
Glory
Ken Burns' The Civil War
The Outlaw Josey Wales

Modern Conflicts
Black Hawk Down
The Hurt Locker
Standard Operating Procedure
The Messenger
Restrepo
No End in Sight

Foreign Civil Wars
Zulu
Duck, You Sucker
Salvador
The Battle of Algiers

Hope that helps, you weren't very specific.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

A very broad and vague list for a very broad and vague request:

Attack!
A Walk in the Sun
The Steel Helmet
The Human Condition trilogy
The Thin Red Line
The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
The Raid
Battleground
The Hill
The Americanization of Emily
Ivan's Childhood
Overlord
The Caine Mutiny
The African Queen
Culloden
MASH
Hell in the Pacific
Gone with the Wind
Patton
The Messenger
The Long Voyage Home
The Dam Busters
China
Twelve O'Clock High
Three Kings
The Bitter Tea of General Yen

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life

Parkingtigers posted:

War movies? Yeah, you'll want to narrow that down a little. If you want to go right back, then you can't go wrong with starting with Zulu, which is one of the best war films of all time.

well i wanted a lot of suggestions, thanks everyone

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

RollingBoBo posted:

well i wanted a lot of suggestions, thanks everyone

After you watch a few and get a handle on what styles you like, be sure to check back for more specific recommendations.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

If you're gonna recommend Restrepo, you should also throw Armadillo in there.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Starshark posted:

I'm a pretty huge fan of Unknown with Jim Caviezel and Barry Pepper. A bunch of dudes wake up in a warehouse with amnesia. Some are hurt, some have weapons, some are tied up - nobody knows what the gently caress. Awesome movie.

edit: Also, give In Bruges a whirl. Colin Farrell fucks up a hit, and is put on "vacation" by his boss. Dark and funny.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 15, 2011

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Looking for fun party movies to watch with friends. I tend to like batshit genre movies and like to share them with friends. The problem is that my friends are movie wimps and can't handle alot of excess gore or nudity. I've watched Sleepaway Camp and They Live in the past and both went over great. I'm thinking of showing The Warriors next but am looking for other suggestions.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

foodfight posted:

Looking for fun party movies to watch with friends. I tend to like batshit genre movies and like to share them with friends. The problem is that my friends are movie wimps and can't handle alot of excess gore or nudity. I've watched Sleepaway Camp and They Live in the past and both went over great. I'm thinking of showing The Warriors next but am looking for other suggestions.

Streets of Fire!

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

foodfight posted:

Over the Top and No Holds Barred double feature...

I know what I said.

awesomepanda
Dec 26, 2005

The good life, as i concieve it, is a happy life.
i need some good horror films.i really liked stakeland and rec.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Recommend me movies with lots of night scenes in urban settings. Like Lost In Translation, Fallen Angels, Collateral... that are available on bluray

Preferably actiony.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 17, 2011

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Recommend me movies with lots of night scenes in urban settings. Like Lost In Translation, Fallen Angels, Collateral... that are available on bluray

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist is like 90% this.

Also, Edmond.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 17, 2011

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

codyclarke posted:

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist is like 90% this.

Seconding this--it's a great flick and extremely watchable. Throw in Heat, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, The Departed, Michael Clayton, Taken, and Die Hard and Taxi Driver of course.

For lesser known, but still worth seeing, (if they're not at least excellent), then La Haine, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang (which seems to pop up quite often in this thread, for good reason), and Green Zone sort of.

I guess even The Third Man, too. In fact, quite a few films noir take place in urban areas--and it pretty much goes without saying that they're largely taking place at night.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

RollingBoBo posted:

Come and See.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

I'm looking for a decent horror movie with a specific kind of setting. I like the idea of paranormal/spooky stuff happening in a busy city. The idea of having so many thousands of people around and still being in danger or without help is just creepy to me. Apartments, streets, metro tunnels and such being set pieces.

Think the alleyway car scene from Jacob's Ladder or (for a non-film example) Silent Hill 4. (The apartment setting, seeing the busy street below)

But any other examples escape me.

Any ideas? Preferably no monster or alien flicks. More so paranormal, haunting, demonic, psychological, etc...

Edit: Also, about 10 pages back, a few of you recommended me Noir flicks. I binged through the majority of them on a three day weekend and have a new love of the genre. Thanks again.

Several Goblins fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 18, 2011

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

So a friend asked me yesterday for an odd request. Anyone know any good films about farmers? Preferably visually striking stuff. I was able to give him Days of Heaven and Jean de Florette, but any other good one?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Wreath of Barbs posted:

I'm looking for a decent horror movie with a specific kind of setting. I like the idea of paranormal/spooky stuff happening in a busy city. The idea of having so many thousands of people around and still being in danger or without help is just creepy to me. Apartments, streets, metro tunnels and such being set pieces.

Think the alleyway car scene from Jacob's Ladder or (for a non-film example) Silent Hill 4. (The apartment setting, seeing the busy street below)

But any other examples escape me.

Any ideas? Preferably no monster or alien flicks. More so paranormal, haunting, demonic, psychological, etc...

Edit: Also, about 10 pages back, a few of you recommended me Noir flicks. I binged through the majority of them on a three day weekend and have a new love of the genre. Thanks again.

The Roman Polanski Apartment trilogy is the quintessential example of this:

Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby, The Tenant.

Aside from that, The Sentinel (the '77 version).

penismightier fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 18, 2011

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

TrixRabbi posted:

So a friend asked me yesterday for an odd request. Anyone know any good films about farmers? Preferably visually striking stuff. I was able to give him Days of Heaven and Jean de Florette, but any other good one?

Try the documentary Sweetgrass.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

Seven Samurai, The White Ribbon, The Field, Grapes of Wrath, Spirit of the Beehive

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

penismightier posted:

The Roman Polanski Apartment trilogy is the quintessential example of this:

Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby, The Tenant.

Aside from that, The Sentinel (the '77 version).

Thanks, I'll give these a shot. Rosemary's Baby is one of those horror films I've always meant to see. And I've always heard good things about Repulsion, The Tenant, and The Sentinel.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

TrixRabbi posted:

City Girl, Arrière Saison, Dawn to Dawn, Blood on Satan's Claw, My Father's Garden, Satantango, East of Eden, The Emigrants/The New Land, A Canterbury Tale, Earth, the Ma and Pa Kettle movies...

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Thanks for the recommendation of Red Road. It was exactly what I was looking for.

I recently watched 13 Tzameti and thought it was an incredibly tense movie. I know it got a Hollywoodized remake that supposedly sucks but I didn't know if there were any other films that approached bloodsport or human gambling in this more subtle fashion. Nothing like The Running Man, Battle Royale, or The Condemned where it's this huge spectacle of hunting each other Most Dangerous Game: American Gladiators style.

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 20, 2011

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
What are some good films that satirize high society? The more vicious the better. Catty bitches are a plus (All About Eve is at the top of my Netflix queue).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What are some good films that satirize high society? The more vicious the better. Catty bitches are a plus (All About Eve is at the top of my Netflix queue).

I enjoyed Gosford Park.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Rules of the Game, The Exterminating Angel, and La Dolce Vita are the most famous ones I think, but there's always plenty of screwball comedies that sucker punch the bourgeoisie like Holiday, Trouble in Paradise, or My Man Godfrey.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Can anyone recommend anything similar to The Last Kiss?

May have been the first film I have ever seen to contain was a convincing, grown-up look at love past twenty-five.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I haven't seen The Last Kiss, but the best films about love that I can think of are: Before Sunrise (late teens/early 20s), Before Sunset (amazing film)(early 30s), Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind (also amazing) and maybe Lost in Translation (amazingest, but it's not quite a lovestory).

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Swept Away by an unusual destiny in the blue sea of August - a beautiful, amazing movie. Satirizes high society, politics, relationships, and more.
Marx Brothers' A Night At The Opera, of course.
Eat The Rich - John Waters so it's crude and crass and made on a budget.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

I'm looking for some good Hong Kong film recommendations. I got started with Infernal Affairs and after that I've watched a lot of Johnny To's stuff. Doesn't necessarily have to be crime movies, anything good will do.

Edit: My short term memory is poo poo and post has been edited because of it.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Hong Kong specifically? Because Korea has a lot of good stuff as well -- Oldboy (and the other two films in the Vengeance trilogy), Memories of Murder, Audition, to name a few.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

csidle posted:

Hong Kong specifically? Because Korea has a lot of good stuff as well -- Oldboy (and the other two films in the Vengeance trilogy), Memories of Murder, Audition, to name a few.
Seen all of those :)

I think Hong Kong cinema has a very particular feel to it, but Asian cinema in general is fine I guess. Been completely out of the loop regarding it.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

I'm looking for some good Hong Kong film recommendations. I got started with Infernal Affairs and after that I've watched a lot of Johnny To's stuff. Doesn't necessarily have to be crime movies, anything good will do.

Edit: My short term memory is poo poo and post has been edited because of it.
Love on Delivery and Forbidden City Cop are my favorite Stephen Chow's comedies of the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

RollingBoBo posted:

Enemy at the Gate is one of my favorites, and I don't think anyone mentioned it.

What's a good dinner movie? For me, a dinner movie is a movie I can watch while I eat that has eye candy, action, humor, and doesn't require a lot of thinking. It doesn't even have to be a particularly good movie.

• Locked thread