Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Wickerman posted:

The machine shop I've been working for the past two summers might take me on as an engineering intern next summer. It would be for the same pay, but it's not far from home and I figure they'd give me a chair and a desk so that'd be cool.
That's really cool, congrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Nothing will get you a job as a Mech E better than selling your machining experience.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Does anyone know much about Disney internships? I found a list of "The top 100 internships of 2011" and decided to apply to every engineering one. Disney was on the list. I applied and got an email requesting a phone interview. Judging by the list of professions they have I'm not sure if it would be the best choice. Thoughts?

email posted:

We are looking at Spring’12 internships. I was wondering if you would be interested in a phone interview with NAME. NAME handles the IMPORTANT LOOKING STUFF. Our cast consists of:

Mechanics
Plumbers
HVAC Tech's
Carpenters
Facility Craft Support
Decorators
Electricians
Kitchen

You will be working with various projects and various software formats developing the DAK Facilities SharePoint site.
If you are interested, let me know, and I will set up an interview with NAME. (Also let me know what is a good time and day to call you.
Spring interns would start in Jan-May.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I dont know about the internships but Disney's college program is for people who like Disney too much and the pay is poo poo and the housing rules are overbearing.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Lord Gaga posted:

I dont know about the internships but Disney's college program is for people who like Disney too much and the pay is poo poo and the housing rules are overbearing.

I really didn't think I'd find any information searching online but did anyway and found a few sites saying the internship is poo poo. Oh well.

huhu fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 14, 2011

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Would you be doing the CP or just an internship while living in Orlando? College program people are like regular cast members. If you're a junior year mech e or something you may make quite a bit more.

But yea, disneys regular ol janitor makes $7/hour and lives with a few other people and isnt allowed to have people over after midnight.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Lord Gaga posted:

Would you be doing the CP or just an internship while living in Orlando? College program people are like regular cast members. If you're a junior year mech e or something you may make quite a bit more.

But yea, disneys regular ol janitor makes $7/hour and lives with a few other people and isnt allowed to have people over after midnight.

The page I found the internship on doesn't work anymore so I sent email to get more information. I'm a senior mechanical engineer so hopefully you're right.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
As a recent ME graduate, what should I be using to find jobs? Careerbuilder and monster doesn't seem to cut it and I'm tired of going around and making accounts for big engineering/construction companies.

Currently I'm employed at a large company but I won't get promoted for a better position(field engineer) for another 6 months.. and even then that is a big IF.....

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Senor P. posted:

As a recent ME graduate, what should I be using to find jobs? Careerbuilder and monster doesn't seem to cut it and I'm tired of going around and making accounts for big engineering/construction companies.

Currently I'm employed at a large company but I won't get promoted for a better position(field engineer) for another 6 months.. and even then that is a big IF.....

Do you have friends in other companies? Ask them if they can forward your resume internally.

T.H.E. Rock
Sep 13, 2007
;)
Does your college have an alumni group on LinkedIn? I've seen a bunch of people get jobs just by posting what they were looking for to the group.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 10, 2023

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Thoguh posted:

How long have you been there? 6 more months doesn't seem like a very long time to wait for a promotion.

18 months. It is not so much a promotion as it is a transfer to additional department with real work. However depending on funding, there may be a hiring freeze and I may have waited around for nothing.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 18, 2011

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I know this sounds sorta vague, but what's the sort of work that an Industrial Engineer might do? I might be looking into switching into that from EE, and from what I read (granted, just the wikipedia article) it sounds more like something I'm interested in, but I'm unsure of the sort of real world careers that might require an Industrial Engineering degree.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

computer parts posted:

I know this sounds sorta vague, but what's the sort of work that an Industrial Engineer might do? I might be looking into switching into that from EE, and from what I read (granted, just the wikipedia article) it sounds more like something I'm interested in, but I'm unsure of the sort of real world careers that might require an Industrial Engineering degree.
Industrial Engineering has the reputation of being the washout major of engineering degrees. None of the IE majors I've known ever did much of anything related to engineering, even when holding supposedly engineering positions.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

computer parts posted:

At my uni they called it Manufacturing Engineering and Management. There were a couple of mandatory manufacturing courses and they were actually pretty interesting. It included a lot of stuff on operations management, engineering finance, manufacturing processes (milling, lathes, etc).

From my (admittedly limited) understanding it taught you to manage a factory, from selection of the kinds of processes you want, the tools you need to do them, the types of robots you want, to where things are placed in the assembly line, to how to manage inventory and calculate all sorts of flow-through in the factory, and calculating reliability in the system, expected downtime, expected costs, lean production, various Japanese efficiency innovations, etc etc.

Basically it took a higher-level view on engineering, treating every individual engineery task as a lego brick and showing you how to connect all the bricks together in the most efficient way, and then interface it all with the outside world to get materials in and finished product out. I did the first course that covered this and it was drat interesting but not my sort of thing - I wanted to get my hands dirty with hardware.

It was in no way a washout degree, I knew some incredibly bright guys who did it and some of the lecturers were fantastic. Apparently there was fairly high demand for the qualification around here. A lot of engineers end up getting promoted into less engineery positions that were more management-related, as far as I understood this short-circuited that and put you in there straight away.

T-1000 fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 20, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

computer parts posted:

My undergrad has one of the best Imaginary Engineering programs (according to US World :jerkoff:). It was definitely "easier" looking from the outside in, but one of my good buddies is an IE, and it was a lot of math, specifically probability and statistics. Lots of focus on manufacturing, Six Sigma, that type of thing. Our program seemed to generate engineers with a focus on designing manufacturing processes and improving efficiency in existing processes. Lots of SPSS, Minitab, Excel.

There are definitely jobs out there for IEs, look at your program's curriculum in detail to see, but I'd consider any job postings looking for a "manufacturing engineer" fair game for you as well. Definitely pick-up an internship; 90% of the IEs from my school co-oped at GM for their entire college career, got hired before graduating and made management in less than three years. One of them got GM to pay for her to go to Harvard for her MBA...in 2009, to boot.

That being said, why are you leaving the best engineering of them all, EE? :mad:

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

grover posted:

Industrial Engineering has the reputation of being the washout major of engineering degrees. None of the IE majors I've known ever did much of anything related to engineering, even when holding supposedly engineering positions.

Pretty much how it went at my school, though I did know a few pretty sharp IEs. One of them works at Boeing (at the big jumbo jet facility in Everett, WA) and is doing rather well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

movax posted:

That being said, why are you leaving the best engineering of them all, EE? :mad:

I'm at one of those stages in college where I'm like "oh god do I really want to do this it's soooo hard :( ". Still, I think I'll stick with it; my college offers an Industrial Engineering minor, and I was gonna do a business/finance minor anyway, so I'll just do that instead. (or worst case scenario, EE also offers a minor, so I can still do EE stuff)

thanks for the info everybody! :)

Bluebottle
Jan 30, 2008
IE also does a lot with ergonomics and safety.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I've got a bit of a problem that I was hoping to get advice for. I started working about 10 days ago at a local machine shop run by the father of a friend of mine. The job doesn't pay that well and doesn't have much room for advancement but I needed work badly so I took it. Today I get home, check my voicemails, and listen to one from another company with a position they want me to interview for. They are a larger firm, with more room for advancement/project variety in the kind of field that I want to enter and would likely allow me to get my PE stamp, but they are about 3 hours away from me so I can't really just cruise up there in an afternoon. I can't really take time off this early into my job (especially to interview for another position). Should I try to schedule a phone interview or see if the manager would be receptive to an evening or weekend interview? Or should I just stick out a few months working a poo poo job before trying to find something better? I probably wouldn't feel bad considering leaving this job if it wasn't my buddy's dad that I was working for.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

panascope posted:

Should I try to schedule a phone interview or see if the manager would be receptive to an evening or weekend interview? Or should I just stick out a few months working a poo poo job before trying to find something better? I probably wouldn't feel bad considering leaving this job if it wasn't my buddy's dad that I was working for.

Schedule a phone interview, it is quite normal. (While a weekend or evening interview isn't impossible. What is in it for them to do it?) There's nothing wrong with discussing job prospects at the very least.

As for working for your friend's dad, ask him and get a feel for how long he wants you. Honestly if you can give him a one month notice, and write instructions for your replacement on how to do their job, that would probably be a huge help. (You need to do this, you can find it here. For this you need to contact XXX. This stuff is located here. Etc..)

Wait until things are official before making any announcements.

the_reading_rainbow
Dec 20, 2009

Friends to know, and ways to grow, a Reading Rainbow.
I'm kind of an engineer, I have a story to tell about my job, I hate my job and everyone I work with!

We get electronic pay stubs weekly at work.

I got on a CAD workstation late in the day and found one of our middle managers logged in. It was way past business hours and the office was empty so I did the obvious thing and opened MS Outlook and ran a search for "Weekly Electronic Paystub."

Found what I was looking for, forwarded it to my personal email, but could not open it due to password protection (last four digits of SSN).

Ran the .pdf through a numerical brute force pdf recovery application I pirated and had his password in 20 seconds.

As of 9/1/11 he has made $85,120 (Small town in midwest), the equivalent of $106,000 per year, the Chicago equivalent is $134,000

I also made a 65mb .pst file of his entire outlook profile including his inbox and sent folder, saved to flash drive. One email of interest right off the bat was a co-worker of mine being recommended for a $2000 "look back" bonus for working on the same project as myself, no mention of a bonus for me however.

Should I continue to browse, or use the lessons learned in the ethics chapter of management 101 course and delete the .pst file?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

the_reading_rainbow posted:

Should I continue to browse, or use the lessons learned in the ethics chapter of management 101 course and delete the .pst file?

You should be fired.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I'm kind of an engineer, I have a story to tell about my job, I hate my job and everyone I work with!

I got on a CAD workstation late in the day and found one of our middle managers logged in. It was way past business hours and the office was empty so I did the obvious thing and opened MS Outlook and ran a search for "Weekly Electronic Paystub."

Found what I was looking for, forwarded it to my personal email, but could not open it due to password protection (last four digits of SSN).

Ran the .pdf through a numerical brute force pdf recovery application I pirated and had his password in 20 seconds.

As of 9/1/11 he has made $85,120 (Small town in midwest), the equivalent of $106,000 per year, the Chicago equivalent is $134,000

I also made a 65mb .pst file of his entire outlook profile including his inbox and sent folder, saved to flash drive. One email of interest right off the bat was a co-worker of mine being recommended for a $2000 "look back" bonus for working on the same project as myself, no mention of a bonus for me however.

Someone who used to work at my company did something similar. We sued the gently caress out of him and I believe we are still garnishing his wages years later.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

I hope they hate you too and fire you. God drat you're stupid for doing this. Also just throwing it out there that the other employee may make significantly less than the average for his experience level and the bonus is a way of keeping him while paying him less.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

I always wondered how people could fail the P.Eng ethics exam (APEGGA), but I guess it's totally possible... :psyduck:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Nice troll (you are trolling right? :ohdear:) If you aren't trolling though and really did just do that, might as well help you dig yourself deeper and ask you what industry you're in.

Anyways, back to IE chat, yeah I knew a few at my school that were specializing in ergonomics as well, it looked very interesting. The one IE lab we were all jealous of though was Lego Lab. I think it had something to do with learning about assembly lines / manufacturing optimization, but most of us couldn't see past the words "lab" and "Lego". Bastards had bins and bins of glorious Legos sitting in that lab for us to look at longingly from the hallway. :(

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

From my experience - those people who strive to find the proofs of them being treated unfairly actually deserve being treated unfairly. This is simple HR logic and some sort of vicious circle - loyal people get promotion because they are loyal and it helps them continue being loyal, disloyal people don't get promotion, which increases their disloyalty.

Hence my advice is - consider quitting, whenever you diagnose disloyalty in yourself, otherwise you might be just wasting your precious time. This is open market - if you don't like anything, gtfo or live with that and stop whining.

And, BTW, you know the old personnel wisdom - "salary is not a motivation factor, it is de-motivation factor", which is again confirmed by your example.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ole_bjorne posted:

And, BTW, you know the old personnel wisdom - "salary is not a motivation factor, it is de-motivation factor", which is again confirmed by your example.
Funny thing is, is that this also is true of money & life in general: being filthy rich won't automatically make you happy, but being filthy poor can sure make you sad.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

You know that a copy is saved in his sent folder and when he sees it your rear end is gone, right?

What a loving moron.\

Anyways, I've been looking at job openings in my area for field engineers (this is what I think I want to do), and there are actually a ton of openings, from companies like Apple to companies like Tesla. Reading the job descriptions makes me excited, but then realizing that I can't leave my job for another year or more is :smith:

Not that there is anything wrong with my current job, it's just not really going anywhere and I've pretty much learned everything (except for those tiny unknown things that no one bothers to tell you), so I'm starting to get bored :\

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 21, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Crossposting from the resume thread. Anyone got any pointers for the resume or how to find an entry level industry job with limited experience in general?

canoshiz posted:

I just graduated in May and I've been looking for an entry level chemical engineering related position for a few months now and haven't had any interviews or anything... I retooled my resume very recently with some pointers from reddit's resume subforum and I wanted to get a few more opinions on how to make it as strong as possible. Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B7wqzsPb3BWTZmU5OWYwZDQtMmI1My00NjEwLWEwZGUtZmRlNGNiNzc1OTJi&hl=en

Some things:

- Should I have the clothing store experience there at all? On one hand it's previous work experience, on the other it's not very relevant... I already moved it to after my stockroom experience though, since that's the more relevant one.

- I used to have a more traditional objective statement but I've been told to either put a "superhero statement" of sorts or drop it entirely. I tried to put the former on there.

- I have a pretty mediocre GPA (<3.0) so I dropped it. Pretty sure that was the right decision, but should I be worried about the assumptions employers make when they don't see it listed?

Suggestions? Thanks :)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Assuming he isn't a troll, hopefully he at least had the presence of mind to delete it out of the "sent" folder.
Aren't companies required to automatically backup all in- and out-bound company email?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Cicero posted:

Aren't companies required to automatically backup all in- and out-bound company email?

Required by whom?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

mitztronic posted:

Required by whom?
The government? I thought it was a legal requirement for companies to store all of their internal communication, in case it becomes relevant in a case later.

edit: After doing some googling, it appears that there's isn't really a law requiring companies to store internal communication for X amount of time, BUT court orders can require companies to give up all of their internal communication that relates to a case, so they're effectively required to store it. Maybe someone else in this thread knows more about this than I do.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 24, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bluebottle
Jan 30, 2008

canoshiz posted:

Crossposting from the resume thread. Anyone got any pointers for the resume or how to find an entry level industry job with limited experience in general?

The gpa question is tricky because some companies will have a minimum requirement (often 3.0) but others might not really care that much. It's unfortunate because you went to one of the top chemE programs in the country so just finishing is quite impressive! I talked to a friend of mine who works for Exxon at a career fair the other day and she said they're only taking people with a 3.5 or better right now, which probably just reflects that the job market for entry-level people is not very good right now. If you have a major GPA better than your overall one then it might be better to list both of them. If you go to a job fair (or fill out an application) then the recruiters who do care will ask you for it if it's not on there already.

Your retail experience doesn't hurt, but definitely list your lab experience above it since it's not only related to the kind of position you want, but it's also more recent.

As far as your objective goes, the one you have now is a little bit long and doesn't say anything unique. Try to either express what you really like about engineering or tailor your objective so that it's specific to whatever job you are applying to.

As far as finding a job, I recommend that you go to your university's next job fair, and if they aren't having one or you can't make it then just crash one at another school. Speaking from experience, you'll probably make more progress at an event like that in a couple hours than you would in a couple months of filling out online applications.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

canoshiz posted:

I graduated this spring and was recently hired by Honeywell as a manufacturing engineer so hopefully my experience can help you out.

I also had an average gpa (2.8) so I removed it from my resume. I've been told that unless you have an excellent gpa (3.5+) you shouldn't put it on and only supply it if asked. From my experience most job listings that care about gpa will explicitly state that they're only considering a certain minimum.

It's good to have work experience on your resume. In your case it would be best to move it below your skills and above your interests and activities. The idea here is that it's not directly related to what you're trying to work for, but it shows that you have worked and aren't solely a student. I've worked a number of places, only in retail mainly, but I still have the time I spent on the Disney College Program on my resume.

Your objective is entirely up to how you feel about it. I've read that it's best not to put one on their entirely, though I don't think you need anything colossal on there. This is mine: "A position in an engineering role as part of a company that requires exemplary interpersonal communications and problem
solving skills."

As far as getting interviews and finally landing a job, never underestimate the power of networking. I had one interview this summer and it wasn't even for an engineering role (which I wasn't called back for after the interview). I threw my resume everywhere I possibly could; I had a profile at Boeing set up so whenever a job was posted that fit my education I would get an email and I must have applied for 50 jobs but never heard back from any. Then one day I was talking with a girl I work with who also just graduated about jobs and she told me that her father-in-law works for Honeywell and is hiring new engineers so I asked her to forward my resume to him. A couple weeks later I interviewed with him and about a week and a half after I got a job offer. So don't give up the hunt at career fairs and company websites, but try to let it be known to as many people as you can that you're trying to find a job and you never know what you'll find.

(PS once you get an interview make sure you send a thank you email to the interviewer within 24 hours. I've been told it makes or breaks job offers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Shoren posted:

(PS once you get an interview make sure you send a thank you email to the interviewer within 24 hours. I've been told it makes or breaks job offers)
Does this still apply if you're applying for a promotion, and the interviewers are people you see every day?