Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantle
May 15, 2004

There is going to be a SF3:OE goon tournament on Thursday Sept 20. PSN EXCLUSIVE!

FREE ENTRY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
Hands up. Who wanted a new Dead Or Alive?

Well, they can't ruin it as much as they completely loving massacred DoA4. That game should have been smothered during conception.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Have any of the DoAs been respectable on any level?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Sex Vicar posted:

Hands up. Who wanted a new Dead Or Alive?

Well, they can't ruin it as much as they completely loving massacred DoA4. That game should have been smothered during conception.

Fighting Entetainment

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Tom Brady's ramblings are usually pretty hard to sit through, but his story about his experience with the DOA community is hilarious.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
DoA is terrible and anyone that likes it is a terrible person in my experience.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I liked doa2 when it came out but I was also 15 and it had jiggly boobies.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Buhbuhj posted:

I find it funny that it can't shake this reputation when something like soul caliber 4 is way more ridiculous about this stuff.

The game (at least as of 4/Dimensions/etc) has seriously bizarre mechanics when you compare it to the competition, because most moves that combo stagger (or usually they stagger because they combo), and you can try to do 'holds' (reversals/parries ,basically) for pretty much no penalty (except being baited) when staggered. So it's a lot of weird sort of guesses and gambles and pressing your luck. If you land a launch (Which I imagine in anything resembling 'high level' play, your opponent will be expecting and trying to do holds at that height) though, you can freely combo them via juggles.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I haven't played a Soul Calibur game in a while. Have they discovered independent boob physics technology now too? I thought DoA2H was sweet when I was a teenager too, but that's mostly because I enjoyed using counters almost exclusively. I think four counters and you win the round.

Has anyone played Fighter's Destiny before? The mechanics sound fun enough to play around with for a while.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

The Rokstar posted:

Tom Brady's ramblings are usually pretty hard to sit through, but his story about his experience with the DOA community is hilarious.

He always sounds mad or really depressed in his rambling videos, but I enjoy them. Tom Brady is a nice guy though, he did his best trying to make the DOA community better and the same thing now with MK but people usually just seem to give him poo poo for it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

inthesto posted:

Have any of the DoAs been respectable on any level?

No.

Fayk posted:

I find it funny that it can't shake this reputation when something like soul caliber 4 is way more ridiculous about this stuff.

Probably because Soul Calibur is closer to being a legitimate fighting game than DoA has ever been (but it's still dumb).

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Fayk posted:

Xtreme Beach Volleyball.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Van Ishikawa posted:

Xtreme Beach Volleyball.
Is probably a more legit competitive game than the actual DoA games.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

Is probably a more legit competitive game than the actual DoA games.

Wasn't the butt battle minigame or something one of the rounds in the mystery game torunament at UFGT this year?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I found DoA to be dumb fun with friends that aren't into fighters. The stages and attack animations are pretty. That's...pretty much it, though.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn
DoA2 is good for proving that the Dreamcast didn't "have lovely graphics" because it looked better than the PS2 port (and Soul Calibur).

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Jock Mocken posted:

DoA2 is good for proving that the Dreamcast didn't "have lovely graphics" because it looked better than the PS2 port (and Soul Calibur).

There are only two kinds of people who didnt know the Dreamcast had good graphics. Those who have never seen the Dreamcast, and blind people.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn

Gutcruncher posted:

There are only two kinds of people who didnt know the Dreamcast had good graphics. Those who have never seen the Dreamcast, and blind people.

I think most people I hear that kind of thing from haven't ever seen it. Something I overheard from two people watching a Power Stone match at a meet last night: "What's that game? I've never heard of it." "Yeah well it was on Dreamcast, nobody played that poo poo"

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

RIP Dreamcast. Too soon guys. Too soon. :cry:

Did anyone ever play those DC fishing games with the reels? I remember walking into Frys and seeing about 6 different 3rd party fishing reels for Sega Bass Fishing. It was insane. I had a friend explain it to me like this: "You know how when you go to a bar and people have been drinking and they they just really want to play Golden Tee? Japan is like that about fishing games. Thus, lots of fishing games on Dreamcast."

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The Dreamcast will forever be held dear to my heart for Project Justice.

Tardy Counters have to be one of the dumbest mechanics I've seen to date. They're nearly identical to Alpha Counters except that they're free.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I got a Dreamcast just for VOOT. So worth it.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I like jiggling tits and still thought DoA was crap. A clunky, unfun series that just happens to use the most modern graphics at whatever time a game comes out.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I got a Dreamcast at launch for the arcade perfect port of MvC 1 after years of being angry at the neutered ps1 ports as a kid. Then I wondered why everyone was going crazy for Soul Calibur. I always thought it was kind of an overrated game. It wasn't even the best fighter at launch.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

DoA's reputation wasn't helped by Itagaki using every instance he could to talk down every other fighting game in existence while saying DoA was the pinnicle of competitive gaming.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Yeah Itagaki was pretty much a douche. He's not involved anymore though I think.

I like DoA, but only single player as Bayman. Submission holds/chain throws on ninjas all day.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

iastudent posted:

DoA's reputation wasn't helped by Itagaki using every instance he could to talk down every other fighting game in existence while saying DoA was the pinnicle of competitive gaming.

It didn't help he referred to the girls as his daughters even if he does have one.

He's right about Death by Degrees being abysmal when he promoted Ninja Gaiden. I'll give him that.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
I'm going to try it out when it drops. Judging by the trailer if the stage terrain can change during a fight that, then cool.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
http://www.4gamer.net/games/139/G013961/20110915020/

Persona 4: Fighting Good Times Japan Schoolday Demonplace Arena x Persona 3 footage.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
seems like burst fills up like in GG. That's okay!

VVV Honestly the animation seems better than Blazblue, so it's got that going for it.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 15, 2011

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Waterbed posted:

Persona 4: Fighting Good Times Japan Schoolday Demonplace Arena x Persona 3 footage.

The animation quality is really bugging me. It reminds me a lot of BlazBlue.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

inthesto posted:

The Dreamcast will forever be held dear to my heart for Project Justice.

:unsmith::respek::unsmith:

I used to play Project Justice and MVC2 with my cousin all the time. It was the greatest of memories.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Buhbuhj posted:

The problem is nowadays you got games with babealicious boobs in addition to being good games so DoA really has no reason to exist anymore.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

SpaceBees posted:

The problem is nowadays you got games with babealicious boobs in addition to being good games so DoA really has no reason to exist anymore.

Don't forget that DOA is usually the fighting game chosen for the World Cyber Games, and even then it is just so bad that it cant even be forced into being relevant.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Waterbed posted:

It looks a lot like a Blazblue mod right now, I hope that ASW can give it a bit more identity in future builds. Presentation looks pretty good though, especially liking the massive sprites for the Personae (Personas?).

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Zand posted:

Don't forget that DOA is usually the fighting game chosen for the World Cyber Games, and even then it is just so bad that it cant even be forced into being relevant.

Yes but where would professional gamers like "Swoozy" be without DOA? Truly we cannot bare to lose these incredibly important cyber athletes without forcing them to play games that aren't just glorified masturbatory aids!

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE
Those recent p4 fighting games videos in the smt thread don't look jojo enough to me. Is there a write up on it's control scheme, gameplay, meter usage, poo poo like that yet? Just give me JoJo.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Bitch Twinkles posted:

Those recent p4 fighting games videos in the smt thread don't look jojo enough to me. Is there a write up on it's control scheme, gameplay, meter usage, poo poo like that yet? Just give me JoJo.

http://forums.selectbutton.net/viewtopic.php?p=1009077#1009077

gently caress kanji.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

MadRhetoric posted:

gently caress kanji.

Lion gently caress those kanji.

Seriously though, universal overheads are awesome. Every game needs them. I'm hoping some good GG/BB players go to TGS on the public days and upload some videos. At this point, I don't care if it plays like JBA, so much as we get a good Persona fighting game.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE

MadRhetoric posted:

gently caress kanji.

thanks brah. Interesting read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
I noticed one of the players used a healing spell in the p4 nicovideo, and the move list here says its chargeable. I wonder if that will in anyway turn out to be useful. The only other health restore i can think of is Elena's SA3, and players only use that to troll the poo poo out of people from what I understand.

• Locked thread