Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Anybody have a seed that spawns you in the middle of a giant desert?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Vatek posted:

Anybody have a seed that spawns you in the middle of a giant desert?

waterworld

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Beige posted:

If I remember right, Jeb or Notch said it will be returning in 1.9. 1.9 should also be released during Minecon, which is scheduled for November 18-19.

Is that really the announced release date (if so, source?)? Or did you just make that up?

Minecon was supposed to coincide with the retail 1.0 version, not beta 1.9.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

change my name posted:

Lost shard is a great one if "survival" means "40 man murderfest"

And it somehow has some semblance of civilization. A+ Would kill everyone play again

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

HAL9100 posted:

So if I update my server to 1.8, is there any special workaround that still needs to be done to get villages et al to spawn in the new chunks?

I'm no expert, but I think unless you use something like MCedit to delete chunks entirely, new stuff wont be created in already generated chunks.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Rack posted:

I'm no expert, but I think unless you use something like MCedit to delete chunks entirely, new stuff wont be created in already generated chunks.

I'm aware of that and yes you're right. We purposely prevented any exploring too far out so new chunks were close by, but I had heard there was an issue with getting the villages and a couple other features to load in on existing worlds, even in the chunks with new terrain gen applied

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
A quick google brings up this reddit link that supposedly lets you do it. I haven't tried it myself though. Caveat emptor.

VVVVV edit - Ghost towns for now, npcs will be added later.

Rack fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 14, 2011

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
So do the villages actually have people in them or are they just ghost towns?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Fren posted:

Ghost towns. NPCs are coming in 1.9

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fren posted:

Every page. Every goddamned page. I'm not necessarily blaming the posters, but holy poo poo, is this in the OP yet?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Every page. Every goddamned page. I'm not necessarily blaming the posters, but holy poo poo, is this in the OP yet?

Just searched the last page for 'village', 'npc', and 'player', and there's not a bloody mention. So maybe vacuum the sand out of your vagina.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
So, Mollstam (I think that's the web dude) broke the skin upload function. Of course, I had to change my skin for the first time in like half a year -- to something retarded. Now I can't change it back. :qq:

Also, creative mode. Yaaay~

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is that really the announced release date (if so, source?)? Or did you just make that up?

Minecon was supposed to coincide with the retail 1.0 version, not beta 1.9.

Yeah If anything you'd expect 1.9 to be released halfway between minecon and now.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fren posted:

Just searched the last page for 'village', 'npc', and 'player', and there's not a bloody mention. So maybe vacuum the sand out of your vagina.

Wow, you spent 5 seconds F5ing a whole page. You clearly put some effort into this.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
Girls, girls...you're both pretty.

Anyway, I saw that Notch tweeted a few hours ago about snow. Does that mean snow biomes are fixed (i.e. appearing) again? Has anyone pre-gen'ed a huge map to check?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Wow, you spent 5 seconds F5ing a whole page. You clearly put some effort into this.

I may be lazy but at least I know the difference between refreshing a page and searching it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

Fren posted:

I may be lazy but at least I know the difference between refreshing a page and searching it.

Regardless, you're a lazy idiot.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Woah, when did this thread link to the official Minecraft fourms?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Shnakepup posted:

Girls, girls...you're both pretty.

Anyway, I saw that Notch tweeted a few hours ago about snow. Does that mean snow biomes are fixed (i.e. appearing) again? Has anyone pre-gen'ed a huge map to check?

Tundra biomes are out until 1.9 far as I know.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

It's so weird to me that they removed a perfectly working feature, and will be bringing it back later. What on earth was the reason? I liked snow biomes. :(

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Taffer posted:

It's so weird to me that they removed a perfectly working feature, and will be bringing it back later. What on earth was the reason? I liked snow biomes. :(

Well, that's the thing. It may have been perfectly working before, but new code may have introduced subtle breakage that required them to rethink how it was implemented. Games are full of complex side-effects that propagate with every new feature.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Taffer posted:

They didn't remove it, they just broke it. It's Mojang.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Taffer posted:

Because it was not finished like the other biomes where, hence it was no longer working perfectly in concert to other biomes. When they are done tweaking it to move it into line with all the other biomes, I assume it will be added in.

Or, they are doing it to spite people.

Edit:

Alternatively, everyone at Mojang are lazy and bad at their jobs, which is also just to spite people.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I'm trying to set up a new world on my personal server and I want to make a little spawn area. Is there anyway to switch a map from creative to survival once I start it? So that way I can build what I want than switch to survival once it's built?

YJT
Oct 27, 2010

HAL9100 posted:

I'm aware of that and yes you're right. We purposely prevented any exploring too far out so new chunks were close by, but I had heard there was an issue with getting the villages and a couple other features to load in on existing worlds, even in the chunks with new terrain gen applied

This definitely was an issue, I can't find confirmation but I'm sure I read somewhere that Jeb had fixed this and the villages can now be generated in new chunks on an old world. I don't think strongholds can though.

e: in the list of fixes he posted on his twitter that I posted yesterday he included

"* 1.7 worlds should get structures"

which implies it should work.

YJT fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 14, 2011

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

They didn't remove it, they just broke it. It's Mojang.

Odd...the changelog for 1.8 specifically mentions them fixing some issue with ice. Kinda odd, since any new maps generated in 1.8 wouldn't have ice. Guess it's just to fix an issue for pre-1.8 maps or something.

Man, that sucks...I liked snow biomes.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I'm trying to set up a new world on my personal server and I want to make a little spawn area. Is there anyway to switch a map from creative to survival once I start it? So that way I can build what I want than switch to survival once it's built?

Open the level.dat in NBTedit and change the GameType - 0 is Survival, 1 is Creative.

YJT posted:

This definitely was an issue, I can't find confirmation but I'm sure I read somewhere that Jeb had fixed this and the villages can now be generated in new chunks on an old world. I don't think strongholds can though.

Yeah, this was fixed in pre2 - when you load an old world with 1.8, it automatically sets the MapFeatures (which you can change with NBTedit) to 1, which enables "structures". I don't know if it will still spawn strongholds in previously ungenerated chunks, but it's supposed to spawn villages.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Guys, don't try and shift-click an item from your inventory to a full chest. :ohdear: I don't know if it was reported before, but I just crashed. 1.8 official.

EDIT: Shift-clicking to add anything to ANY full container (yourself or chests) is a crash.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 14, 2011

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Why don't you just Op yourself and /give yourself everything you need? Plus, spawns are random, so you might go to all the trouble of building a nice little area only for someone to spawn in 50 blocks away on the other side of a hill and never see it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Does anyone know if there is a mushroom biome now? I know in prerelease you could only grow them but the wiki changelog says that giant mushroom biomes are now implemented

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Guys, don't try and shift-click an item from your inventory to a full chest. :ohdear: I don't know if it was reported before, but I just crashed. 1.8 official.

EDIT: Shift-clicking to add anything to ANY full container (yourself or chests) is a crash.
Did you crash the server or just your client?

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy

Shnakepup posted:

Why don't you just Op yourself and /give yourself everything you need? Plus, spawns are random, so you might go to all the trouble of building a nice little area only for someone to spawn in 50 blocks away on the other side of a hill and never see it.

Can't OPs change to creative mode in a SMP server with a command now?

From the wiki:

quote:

In multiplayer, players can be individually changed between creative and survival mode with the /gamemode <player> <0|1> command available to Operators. 0 being survival, 1 being creative. This means that individual players can play creative mode (at the Operator's discretion) on a survival map, or vice-versa.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

fondue posted:

Did you crash the server or just your client?

Client only. Haven't played 1.8 online yet.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dumb question time - So I launch my 1.8 server, and it immediately starts bitching at me NOT ENOUGH RAM, and reels off the -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M modifiers, so I build a shortcut with the command line as indicated, but now it won't even start, and because modern Windows OSes can't deal with having command windows open anymore, god forbid, I can't even see what goes wrong when the command window flickers on the screen for about five frames. Is there a special thing I should do with the shortcut that I'm not seeing, or what?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Is mushroom stew and cake stackable in 1.8? Tried it with the stew in the first pre-release and noticed it wouldn't stack, which makes it kind of pointless considering how easy it is to load up on cooked steak and pork chops. Did that change for the second pre-release, or the official one?

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

If you are into true survival I've got a nice seed for you:

It starts you on a small island with nothing much, no trees. After wandering around a bit I found a tree, just one, it gave me 1 sapling back.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

lockdar posted:

After wandering around a bit I found a tree, just one, it gave me 1 sapling back.

Planting saplings is cheating. You must burn them.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Allen Wren posted:

Dumb question time - So I launch my 1.8 server, and it immediately starts bitching at me NOT ENOUGH RAM, and reels off the -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M modifiers, so I build a shortcut with the command line as indicated, but now it won't even start, and because modern Windows OSes can't deal with having command windows open anymore, god forbid, I can't even see what goes wrong when the command window flickers on the screen for about five frames. Is there a special thing I should do with the shortcut that I'm not seeing, or what?

It's not a windows problem afaik. I think the commonly googled answer to this problem stuck a "java" too many in the command line. Try removing one of them. If the console windows closes right away that usually means something hosed up.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

glitchwraith posted:

Is mushroom stew and cake stackable in 1.8? Tried it with the stew in the first pre-release and noticed it wouldn't stack, which makes it kind of pointless considering how easy it is to load up on cooked steak and pork chops. Did that change for the second pre-release, or the official one?

Read the patch notes.

quote:

All food (except Mushroom Stew) is stackable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

PalmTreeFun posted:

It's not a windows problem afaik. I think the commonly googled answer to this problem stuck a "java" too many in the command line. Try removing one of them.

I've tried

C:\Windows\System32\java.exe -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar C:\Users\redacted\Desktop\minecraft resources\1.8 server\minecraft_server.jar

and

C:\Windows\System32\java.exe -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar

and get no love. Only one java in there in the first place.