Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
How would I go about writing a personal letter to Desmond Tutu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

quadrophrenic posted:

I would start with "Dear Desmond,"

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

WillieWestwood posted:

Has there ever been a Rubik's Cube made of metal (not just the screws and springs) for sale? Is there one out now?

There are metal Rubik's cubes in existence. I don't think any have been manufactured on a large scale or by an officially licensed manufacturer or anything like that. I'm not an expert, though.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

quadrophrenic posted:

You can't really unless you have some connections. You could send it to his center but I strongly doubt he'd read it.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
Anyone have any idea what all this means?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zegnar posted:

Anyone have any idea what all this means?

A lot of it seems to be names of cities and countries, or nationalities.

Edit: the line under 'Carneval' says something like 'Discussion about religion, private and public behaviour, with [unknown word, possibly 'some'] gallant and remarkable conversation, in Europe'

marshmallard fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 15, 2011

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I know that with medical laxatives, if you take too many your system gets dependent on them and stops moving by itself. Is the same true of natural laxatives, like prune juice?

thefoozl
Nov 9, 2010
I have noticed some fleas in my room, just a couple each day for the past few days.

What do I do? Can I just ignore them?

I have 4 cats (wife's fault), which I have been too cheap/lazy to use any flea treatments for quite a while (somewhat less than a year). I hadn't noticed them scratching. I have now used 'Frontline plus' on the cats, vacuumed and shifted out a little furniture. The room is kept clean/tidy. It is spring here, so the weather is warming up, if that is relevant.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

thefoozl posted:

I have noticed some fleas in my room, just a couple each day for the past few days.

You cannot ignore them. If you have seen fleas, there are almost certainly between dozens and hundreds that you can't see. And if they can't bite the cats, they'll start biting you.

You need to get some bug bombs and basically gas the house. Make sure you get bombs that kill eggs as well as the adult fleas. You, your wife, and any other residents (including animal residents like the cats) will need to be out of the house for at least four hours while the bombs do their work; the packaging will tell you more.

After the bombs are done, you'll want to vacuum very thoroughly, including moving furniture away from the walls and vacuuming in closets, and wash any fabrics your cats frequent in very hot water.

I don't mean to seem alarmist, but fleas are a bitch, and you want to get rid of the little fuckers absolutely as early as you can. Bug bombs and vacuuming is WAY cheaper than hiring an exterminator a month from now.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
He wanted to ignore them, and admitted to being too lazy to take preemptive measures to prevent them, do you really think he's gonna bomb the house?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Loopyface is right, with 4 cats it's going to take a shitload of work to rid them and the house of fleas. Even when you are motivated it's a bitch.

In an unused carpeted room I have seen the borax method work.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
Does anyone have that ridiculous crying emoticon with the rivers of tears? It isn't an official SA emoticon, but I see it quite often. Unfortunately, I can't find it now.

EDIT: Thanks. It's qq. For some reason, I could not find it on the smilies list. :qq:

J2DK fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 15, 2011

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

J2DK posted:

Does anyone have that ridiculous crying emoticon with the rivers of tears? It isn't an official SA emoticon, but I see it quite often. Unfortunately, I can't find it now.

:qq: ? That's :qq: or do you mean the giant version?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Loopyface is right, with 4 cats it's going to take a shitload of work to rid them and the house of fleas. Even when you are motivated it's a bitch..

Fair points. And at one point I lived with four dogs and five cats - my (ex-)wife's fault! - and with the dogs being part-time outside, I was bombing and vacuuming once every few months. (Even with the drops on, fleas will sometimes ride in and drop eggs before they die...) So I know it's a shitload of work. But I guess if he's okay with:

* itching all the goddamn time (flea bites itch like fury)
* having to explain all the insect bites
* potentially bringing an infestation to work, his friends' houses, etc.
* potentially picking up fleaborne diseases like bubonic plague*

Then yeah, ignoring them is probably just fine.

(* Yeah, I know that one's a long shot, but I was just reading a story about new plague outbreaks in the US so it's on my mind.)

randyest posted:

:qq: ? That's :qq: or do you mean the giant version?

There's also :qqsay:, although I see that less frequently.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

thefoozl posted:

Don't ignore them it will only get worse. We have two cats and didn't keep up with fleas and it took us a few months to remove the fleas. The biggest problem with fleas is that you have to kill the fleas and the eggs. If you kill the fleas and not the eggs in a few weeks you have a bunch of fleas again.

What we used was a powder with linalool (orange peel extract) in it (found at Target) and vacuumed every 2-3 days for a month. Also, take a flea collar, cut about 1/3 off, and put in the vacuum cleaner bag/canister. Make sure you change the vacuum bag/canister every week plus remove the contents from your house don't let it sit around inside. Keep up with the Frontline on the counts at the normal dose for a few months after you start.

Borax does work but boric acid is pretty nasty stuff and shouldn't be used very often.

Do this today it will only get worse.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Loopyface is right, with 4 cats it's going to take a shitload of work to rid them and the house of fleas. Even when you are motivated it's a bitch.

In an unused carpeted room I have seen the borax method work.

I've found the medicine you get from a vet and rub into the backs of the cats necks (the name escapes me at the moment) very effective. It saves the cats and tends to get rid of the fleas.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Some people swear by diatomaceous earth as a safe flea powder, in addition to the Frontline/Advantage (any difference between those two?), vacuuming, spray-bombing etc.

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 15, 2011

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Edit: Maybe it was Revolution...

Anecdote: We had a cat that was allergic to pretty much everything; he famously had an anaphylactic reaction to eye drops. So, we knew we couldn't possibly give him the flea medicine, and decided to rely on herd immunity - the others would get it and that would protect him. But he was really helpful and friendly and always wanted to get his too.

So we would just rub the medicine tube on his neck without opening it, he would accept that as getting his medicine and run off and be happy. :3:

Golbez fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 15, 2011

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Drimble Wedge posted:

Some people swear by diatomaceous earth as a safe flea powder, in addition to the Frontline/Advantage (any difference between those two?), vacuuming, spray-bombing etc.

It may be regional, but here (New England), Frontline doesn't work any more, and Advantage stopped working, then started working again after they changed the formula, and now has become less effective again.
The vets and shelters seem to all be using something called "Revolution" now, but I haven't tried it.

That stuff goes on the animal in one spot and gets in their bloodstream. The "earth" is something you can put under your carpet or under furniture, in corners, and just outside your house. On an almost-microscopic level it is like a bunch of razor blades that shred the fleas when they touch it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Buh posted:

What are some obscure things that have changed in a massive way over the last 30 years?

A really obvious example would be cell phone usage, which rapidly went from virtually no-one to virtually everyone. What things are different on that sort of a scale which wouldn't be immediately obvious to a young'un like me? I'm especially interested if there are any that aren't about technology.
The Mindset Lists from Benoit College about things the incoming freshman class have never experienced/always experienced might be helpful. Go back a few years as needed, but here's the latest:
http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2015/

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

randyest posted:

The Mindset Lists from Benoit College about things the incoming freshman class have never experienced/always experienced might be helpful. Go back a few years as needed, but here's the latest:
http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2015/

You know, I went through this year's list, and it seemed like it was probably accurate... but then I went back to the 2002 list, which was the class after my original graduating class, and overall, it's catastrophically wrong, as though the writer were assuming that 18-year-olds literally couldn't remember farther back than 10 years. So now I wonder how much of my assessment of the 2015 list is just my ageism projecting itself.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Besesoth posted:

You know, I went through this year's list, and it seemed like it was probably accurate... but then I went back to the 2002 list, which was the class after my original graduating class, and overall, it's catastrophically wrong, as though the writer were assuming that 18-year-olds literally couldn't remember farther back than 10 years. So now I wonder how much of my assessment of the 2015 list is just my ageism projecting itself.
Yeah, I agree they're pretty hit-or-miss, but there are definitely a few unexpected categories/topics scattered here and there throughout the years that might be helpful to that poster who was looking for "obscure" non-tech things that have changed.

trapt
Sep 21, 2010
Wasn't there a thread in A/T (or somewhere else?) about fleshlights? Tried the search function, but couldn't find it. TIA!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I was in an accident about 4 weeks ago. I was approaching a left turn lane; as I was turning in, an old man zipped up behind me in the wrong lane to pass me (so he would get into the turn lane first) and in the process dented the side of my car and broke off my side mirror.

The cop at the scene did a lovely job, he cut us both off in our stories, and the story he told had us in the middle of the intersection, not several car lengths away from it. He also made it sound like I pulled into the lane in front of the guy, cutting him off, but he didn't assign fault. He said it would be up to our insurances.

I only have liability. I was really hoping my insurance company would fight a good fight and find me not at fault because I really, really, really don't have the money to fix my car and won't for about six months. As it turns out, when you're too poor to pay a big premium, your insurance company isn't required to give a poo poo about you!

They have yet to contact the guy or his insurance. The guy's insurance has yet to contact me, leading me to believe he hasn't even filed. He's disconnected his number.

How hosed am I? I think I found a phone number for his insurance company which I'll be giving to my insurance company (because they're too busy not caring about their poor clients to look it up themselves). Assuming he hasn't filed yet - it's been well over 10 days. Does that work in my favor? Is there anything I can do? Can this possibly turn out well for me?

Am I just poo poo out of luck? This was the nicest car I ever owned and now it's all dented up and vulnerable to rust. This blows :(

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Why are some many houses in the USA built out of thin wood?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Holy Doughnuts! posted:

Why are some many houses in the USA built out of thin wood?

What houses? And what does "thin wood" mean? My house isn't built of thin wood.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
In the UK at least, 99% of our houses are built from brick. When we see houses destroyed in the news or just there in the media from the US, they all appear to be made of nothing more than wood.

I'd imagine those built in hurricane/tornado prone locations will be built cheap for cheap rebuilds, but the primary reason has got to be availability of clay, surely, or a preference against how brick looks?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!
We imagine wood is easier to use and replace than brick is, and wood is more flexible.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

gwar3k1 posted:

In the UK at least, 99% of our houses are built from brick. When we see houses destroyed in the news or just there in the media from the US, they all appear to be made of nothing more than wood.

I'd imagine those built in hurricane/tornado prone locations will be built cheap for cheap rebuilds, but the primary reason has got to be availability of clay, surely, or a preference against how brick looks?

Brick really isn't much stronger to be honest. Also aren't your brick houses still wood on the inside for floors and interior walls and framing?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

gwar3k1 posted:

I think the age of the homes (bricks are excellent at maintaining temperature when you live in a cold wet place don't have a heat pump!) and locale are the major factors there. If you go to the NE US you'll see tons of brick homes.

Keep in mind that outside of the NE the US is relatively "new".

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Are gas ovens/stovetops as common in the US as the media implies? I'm Canadian and I must say I have literally never seen a gas oven. All the ones we have here are electric.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Weird, yes they are very common here I think in the 40-50% range.

They are generally considered much cheaper than electric especially when using the non-pilot style.

E; cursory search: http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/gas.html

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 15, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

They are generally considered much cheaper than electric especially when using the non-pilot style.

Huh, weird. I know they were more common years ago, but I thought they were being phased out because they aren't as safe as electric ovens.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Mak0rz posted:

Are gas ovens/stovetops as common in the US as the media implies? I'm Canadian and I must say I have literally never seen a gas oven. All the ones we have here are electric.

Thankfully, yes. I love cooking with a gas stove and cooktop, and would pretty much always choose it over electric.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Flea guy, I don't know if it's available for cats or if it's available in the US even, but here in Australia the very best thing I've used for my dog is a tablet called Comfortis. It's monthly and kills fleas as soon as they bite the dog (they bite before they lay eggs). It's seriously good stuff and I live in a high-risk flea area (hot, humid Queensland) - I've never seen anything work as well as this and honestly after about 2 weeks of using it I didn't see a flea on the dog or anywhere else in the area.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
What would you call the little drawers or shelves that hang from the runners of a filing cabinet for holding various office supplies?

I'm either looking to buy some of them or find clever DIY ideas on the web but can't find anything close to what I'm looking for. I'm using one of the drawers for miscellaneous pens and scissors, etc and would love to double my storage space in it since it's way deeper than I need.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I think the age of the homes (bricks are excellent at maintaining temperature when you live in a cold wet place don't have a heat pump!) and locale are the major factors there. If you go to the NE US you'll see tons of brick homes.

Keep in mind that outside of the NE the US is relatively "new".

Brick doesn't hold up all that well in earthquakes either, so you don't see a ton of it out here in LA. I'm from St. Louis though, and I would say 90% of the houses are brick, if you factor out all the Vinyl McMansions in the county.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Yeah, it's also way more efficient to directly burn something for heat than to dump electricity into a thing to heat it up to heat another thing.

This is why you rarely see whole-house electric heating systems in places that get cold often.

thefoozl
Nov 9, 2010
I don't know whether or not this is still the case, but wooden houses initially became popular in the USA because wood was in abundant supply, and therefore cheap. And brick tends to be far worse than wood in earthquakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Pweller posted:

What would you call the little drawers or shelves that hang from the runners of a filing cabinet for holding various office supplies?

I'm either looking to buy some of them or find clever DIY ideas on the web but can't find anything close to what I'm looking for. I'm using one of the drawers for miscellaneous pens and scissors, etc and would love to double my storage space in it since it's way deeper than I need.

Suspension files?