Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Does anyone know what the quality of Orville by Gibson guitars normally is? I've found a copy of a Les Paul Custom that I really like for 1300€ on the internet and that's about 2/5 of what a real one would cost here in Denmark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Cross-posting from newbie guitar thread just in case:

Looking to replace my bridge pickup just for fun. Firebird Studio, currently got the stock Epiphone Alnico Classics in there at the moment, looking for something with a little more gain that can still give me some good clean tones as well. Seymour Duncan's Tone Wizard suggested either the SH-14 Custom 5 or the SH-10 Full Shred but I want something I can put a cover on, which rules out the full shred.

This would be the first time I've ever looked at something like this properly so I really have no idea what I'm doing, so any opinions or alternate suggestions?

(My local custom shop does free switch-outs if you purchase in store, so no crazy boutique pick ups this time unfortunately)

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Boz0r posted:

Does anyone know what the quality of Orville by Gibson guitars normally is? I've found a copy of a Les Paul Custom that I really like for 1300€ on the internet and that's about 2/5 of what a real one would cost here in Denmark.

They're basically Japan-made Epis from the 80 to 90 range, so pretty good, really, from what I've heard.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I bought the wrong impedence Ernie Ball volume pedal from Musician's friend. Can I exchange this for store credit at my local guitar center? I still have the receipt.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Noise Machine posted:

I bought the wrong impedence Ernie Ball volume pedal from Musician's friend. Can I exchange this for store credit at my local guitar center? I still have the receipt.

I don't think so. You aren't even allowed to make returns or exchanges in-store on items you buy from guitarcenter.com .

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

RillAkBea posted:

Cross-posting from newbie guitar thread just in case:

Looking to replace my bridge pickup just for fun. Firebird Studio, currently got the stock Epiphone Alnico Classics in there at the moment, looking for something with a little more gain that can still give me some good clean tones as well. Seymour Duncan's Tone Wizard suggested either the SH-14 Custom 5 or the SH-10 Full Shred but I want something I can put a cover on, which rules out the full shred.

This would be the first time I've ever looked at something like this properly so I really have no idea what I'm doing, so any opinions or alternate suggestions?

(My local custom shop does free switch-outs if you purchase in store, so no crazy boutique pick ups this time unfortunately)

I suggest looking into DiMarzios, check out the classics: ToneZone, Super Distortion, etc. I don't have much personal experience with Duncans, but I really did love the JB when I had one, though it might not be quite right for you.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I'm really into websites that talk about the guts of music, such as the effects that techniques and structures have on a listener and such. So far I've found:

http://blog.fixyourmix.com/category/music/compositional-analysis/
http://musformation.com/2009/07/the-musformation-guide-to-writing-better-songs.html
http://informalflickthru.com/2011/04/22/how-to-write-a-popular-song-and-make-millions-5-songwriting-tricks/

Does anyone have any other similar websites?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Could I use this as a bass amp and a regular electric amp? It would only be used to practice and never turned up all the way.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Orange-Amplifiers-Crush-PiX-Series-CR20L-20W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-424055-i1568685.gc

e: I shouldn't say never. I could see myself turning it up with a regular guitar plugged in. Certainly never with a bass, though. Would it still suffice?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 14, 2011

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Abel Wingnut posted:

Could I use this as a bass amp and a regular electric amp? It would only be used to practice and never turned up all the way.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Orange-Amplifiers-Crush-PiX-Series-CR20L-20W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-424055-i1568685.gc

e: I shouldn't say never. I could see myself turning it up with a regular guitar plugged in. Certainly never with a bass, though. Would it still suffice?

I don't really know the specifics but I don't know that I'd risk a 8inch speaker on a guitar amp by playing a bass on it (or that it would sound very good)

I got one of these http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-B20-1X12-Bass-Combo-Amplifier-104622667-i1383305.gc when I bought a bass. Its nothing incredibly fancy but for the price it sounds nice. Try it out in the store tough, they had two and one was a bit off.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Abel Wingnut posted:

At practice volume you'll be fine, even at reasonably high levels it should be OK. I play bass through my guitar combo and have never had any issues. I also have doubts about the claims that damage will occur, everyone always cries foul at the idea of bass though a guitar amp but no-one bats an eyelid at the thought of playing a guitar downtuned to a similar register as the bass through that same sort of amp, nor does anyone buy seperate amps when they add an octave pedal to their board.
As long as you aren't feeding a 100db 10hz sine wave through causing the speaker to physically move an inch forward with every cycle then you'll probably never run into any issues.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

I think where the problem occurs is that bass needs a lot more power than guitar to achieve comparable volume. One rule of thumb is to take the wattage of your guitar amp and multiply it by ten to get a bass amp that will match it. When playing bass through a guitar amp this tends to result in people pushing the amp a lot harder than they normally would. This is what can cause damage.

I play bass though my VT-30 all the time at bedroom levels and I'm yet to experience any issues.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Playing bass through a guitar amp won't hurt the amp at all. You could even hook a guitar head up to a bass cab if you wanted to, so long as the impedance matched and the cab can take more power than the amp. The problem is that the speaker in a guitar amp isn't really designed to handle the immediate changes a pop or slap at low frequencies will put it through, so you can cook a speaker fairly easily if you're not careful.

revolther
May 27, 2008
So I've got a sweet Alvarez acoustic that plays like a dream but has two frets that will give off a small buzz if not fretted perfectly, one on the high e string first fret, the other on the g string 9th fret. I'm about to put on new strings but was hoping I could fix the fret buzz before restringing. Is there any way an amateur non-luthier could fix this quick n easy?

I've really only noticed the buzz with extra light strings, could that mean the first fret buzz is just the string sitting in the nut loosely and fixed with graphite perhaps?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Graphite in the nut slot probably won't help much.
You can build a nut slot up with baking soda and crazy glue and re-file it to a proper depth.
If you go to a hardware store and find a welding torch tip cleaner set it makes a handy/cheap set of nut files in a pinch. Just go slow and check it often.

For the other one find a short length of metal with a known straight side and use it to span frets 8,9,10 if it rocks at all that fret is high and needs to be either filed down till it is level or it is coming out of the slot and needs re-set.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
I'm sorry for how stupid this question is: I'm doing vocals on a few RATM covers for a friends band, and it's been really fun but all the screaming is wreaking havoc on my voice. Can someone explain the "right" way to scream or link me to some good resources for developing a voice that doesn't poo poo out two thirds of the way through Wake Up?

I already quit smoking for this poo poo so I'm pretty much committed.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

Woozy posted:

I'm sorry for how stupid this question is: I'm doing vocals on a few RATM covers for a friends band, and it's been really fun but all the screaming is wreaking havoc on my voice. Can someone explain the "right" way to scream or link me to some good resources for developing a voice that doesn't poo poo out two thirds of the way through Wake Up?

I already quit smoking for this poo poo so I'm pretty much committed.

I might be ignorant for saying this, but I've always considered screaming horrible for your voice no matter what. There are proper vocal techniques to learn for singing that might help to mitigate damage, like opening your throat and relaxing your larynx, but screaming will probably always hurt you to some degree.

Then again maybe some metal band frontman will come in here and explain some secret skill I never acquired.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Crudus posted:

I might be ignorant for saying this, but I've always considered screaming horrible for your voice no matter what. There are proper vocal techniques to learn for singing that might help to mitigate damage, like opening your throat and relaxing your larynx, but screaming will probably always hurt you to some degree.

Opening your throat for sure, and also use the same important feature of classical singing which is to really push with your diaphragm and let that do the work instead of pushing your throat into horrible shapes and chesting it.

Listening to the part of Wake Up that you're talking about (around the 3:40 mark I'm assuming) that's him pushing out hard with his diaphragm, hence why it's so short lived. The ones after the break are similarly him pushing at different lengths. I often recommend learning to scream at a whisper level so you learn the mouth shape, but then as soon as you feel you've got it comfortable to push with your diaphragm with your throat open then start doing it out loud before you get into the habit of whispering.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
What's a quality versatile Expression pedal? I'd use for whammy, time delay, filtering, etc.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Opening your throat for sure, and also use the same important feature of classical singing which is to really push with your diaphragm and let that do the work instead of pushing your throat into horrible shapes and chesting it.

Listening to the part of Wake Up that you're talking about (around the 3:40 mark I'm assuming) that's him pushing out hard with his diaphragm, hence why it's so short lived. The ones after the break are similarly him pushing at different lengths. I often recommend learning to scream at a whisper level so you learn the mouth shape, but then as soon as you feel you've got it comfortable to push with your diaphragm with your throat open then start doing it out loud before you get into the habit of whispering.

Thanks for this. We had a rehearsal last night and already I'm seeing improvements. My voice today isn't nearly as hosed as it was after our last practice and I even got through most of our set without feeling too raspy at the end. :)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Woozy posted:

Thanks for this. We had a rehearsal last night and already I'm seeing improvements. My voice today isn't nearly as hosed as it was after our last practice and I even got through most of our set without feeling too raspy at the end. :)

It gets easier with time as your throat gets used to being moved that way. Glad to hear you feel it's improving!

Ratbones
May 15, 2009
I would really like to practice mixing songs more, but I'm not really sure how to go about it since I don't have all the equipment necessary to record at the moment. Is there a resource or community where a person can get raw tracks for the purpose of mixing?

On a related note, I seem to recall seeing a thread a while back in which people posted their raw tracks and any one interested had a go at mixing the recording for fun/practice or whatever. Did I dream this up? If not, a thread like that sounds right up my alley.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

burritonegro posted:

What's a quality versatile Expression pedal? I'd use for whammy, time delay, filtering, etc.

I bought a Moog one because it was pretty inexpensive and it has been fine for me so far. I have it hooked up to a Ring Thing and use it for pitch shifting. Granted I don't gig with it so it has a pretty easy life.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Thanks, I just snagged a Boss FV-500H off craigslist and it's just what I wanted. This thing is a tank.

RoofieMyselfForFun
Apr 5, 2010
Hey, I've been having trouble with locating a power supply for a stomp box of mine and i figured you guys would be more help than the idiots at my local guitar center.

I bought this stomp box on Ebay a few months back. The only problem is that the sale didn't include a power supply and that this pedal isn't made anymore. I was wondering if there was some kind of universal power supply i could use but when i type in "universal power supply" I get 100 different results from 100 different electronics. And when i narrow the search I'm still looking at a lot of options.

Details

Make: Series 10
Model: DT-1

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

RoofieMyselfForFun posted:

Hey, I've been having trouble with locating a power supply for a stomp box of mine and i figured you guys would be more help than the idiots at my local guitar center.

I bought this stomp box on Ebay a few months back. The only problem is that the sale didn't include a power supply and that this pedal isn't made anymore. I was wondering if there was some kind of universal power supply i could use but when i type in "universal power supply" I get 100 different results from 100 different electronics. And when i narrow the search I'm still looking at a lot of options.

Details

Make: Series 10
Model: DT-1

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/visual-sound-1-spot--space-saving-9v-dc-adapter

There's a big variety of pedal power supplies, but this is probably the most ubiquitous. You can buy daisy chain adapters and such for it as well, so you can power multiple pedals off of it on the cheap.
(99% sure your local guitar center has it.)

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

To be a little clearer than the guy above, pretty much anything that supplies 9V DC will work.

Have you not tried it with a battery by the way?

RoofieMyselfForFun
Apr 5, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

To be a little clearer than the guy above, pretty much anything that supplies 9V DC will work.

Have you not tried it with a battery by the way?

I do use batteries but this thing eats them up like they're nothing. I went to GC and asked and they said the same thing you did but said "In theory but if the adapter plug doesn't fit then it won't power it anyway
. So when I asked if i could see if any of them fit/worked they kind of just brushed me off and told me "Nah brah, they're all in their boxes"

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Well, the GC guys sound like they're just giving you the regular retail shtick to cover their asses if they're wrong. I think the plug design is mostly universal unless your pedal is weird for some reason. That said though, as a similar example Behringer suggests their pedals won't work with any other adapter than the proprietary version, but I picked up the cheapest 9V adapter in my local music store and it works just fine.

Another option is rechargeable batteries, of course

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

I do use batteries but this thing eats them up like they're nothing. I went to GC and asked and they said the same thing you did but said "In theory but if the adapter plug doesn't fit then it won't power it anyway
. So when I asked if i could see if any of them fit/worked they kind of just brushed me off and told me "Nah brah, they're all in their boxes"

Guitar Center often sucks. Like others have said, you should be able to use just about any 9v power supply. (Right now I'm using a Dan Electrode and I like it a lot.) Even if the tip doesn't fit, you should be able to find an adapter tip that will fit. If all else fails, you can always use a 9v battery clip.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'm not saying this one in particular is any good, but you can get adaptors like that which have switchable output voltage and come with a range of tips. As far as I know there are only so many standard sizes, so it's probably one of them (and the one Achtane posted might fit too). If you can find an electronicsy store that sells them with actual helpful staff I'm sure they'll pop a box open and let you try them out. That goes for independent music stores too.

By the way, that pedals's made by a company called Bentley is seems - they made a bunch of Series 10 guitars and basses too apparently. Also with AC adaptors there's two things to bear in mind, voltage and current. You want to match the voltage your device requires, some things will work with a little less - but you don't want to supply too high a voltage. Current just needs to at least match - if your device needs 800mA and your adaptor provides 1500mA, you're well covered. If your adaptor is rated too low, your thing ain't gonna work. That's pretty much it (and I think pedals have a low current draw anyway)

Dirp
May 16, 2007
So the only thing I really do these days is acoustic covers. I just do it for the fun of it and while I know alot of songs the problem is I don't have a loving clue how to sing properly and I sound awful. Does anyone know some good online lessons that could help teach me the very basics?

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
There's a bunch of good advice in the singing thread. I'm not sure about basic online lessons--I'm pretty sure that question's come up before, too, somewhere in there, but the answer is always, "Really, you're best off with a teacher."

RoofieMyselfForFun
Apr 5, 2010

Manky posted:

Guitar Center often sucks. Like others have said, you should be able to use just about any 9v power supply. (Right now I'm using a Dan Electrode and I like it a lot.) Even if the tip doesn't fit, you should be able to find an adapter tip that will fit. If all else fails, you can always use a 9v battery clip.

Got what I needed and everything is working awesomely thanks so much guys

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I've noticed my pickups kind of pick up the sound of me tapping and blowing on it, this is bad right?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Not really bad, depends on what you are looking for.
A lot of the older cheapy Japanese guitars have really microphonic pick-ups that sound gritty and other adjectives like that.
Wax potting them would help probably but it might change how they sound/respond to playing. If you like how they sound now don't worry too much about it.
If they are really microphonic you can sing into them the opening of STP's Dead and Bloated was done like that.

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?
A mate of mine reckons that as of recently, the only Fender guitars that are made in America are the Custom Shop guitars. He tells me that even the American Standard Strats/everything else are now made in Mexico/Japan/elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure he's wrong - I've always thought that the American Standards have come out of the US, while the normal Standards have come from Mexico and/or Asia. But I couldn't find anything on the Fender site to back me up, and Googling just gives me a bunch of Yahoo! Answers things, which should never be trusted.

Anyone here know any better? Note I'm not asking 'is an American Strat really that much better than a Japanese Strat?' I just want to know if the American Standard Strat is still made in the states!

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW
Hey musicians: I'm doing some research on auditory processing, and, to cut a long story short, I need to create a range of synthesised instruments (i.e., use sounds that aren't associated with what a non-musician would call a traditional instrument). Can anybody recommend some good, free software that'll let me do this? Some people have pointed me in the direction of MAX/MSP and Ableton Live, and I will get round to trying the trials, but I think I'll need a permanent solution.

gwaaargh fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 26, 2011

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Musicradar has a pretty comprehensive list of free plugins here, and then you can use a free(ish) DAW like Reaper to load them into, you'll be able to create all sorts of non-traditional sounds with a little bit of learning.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Edit: Problem solved via truss rod adjustment.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

lechunnel posted:

A mate of mine reckons that as of recently, the only Fender guitars that are made in America are the Custom Shop guitars. He tells me that even the American Standard Strats/everything else are now made in Mexico/Japan/elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure he's wrong - I've always thought that the American Standards have come out of the US, while the normal Standards have come from Mexico and/or Asia. But I couldn't find anything on the Fender site to back me up, and Googling just gives me a bunch of Yahoo! Answers things, which should never be trusted.

Anyone here know any better? Note I'm not asking 'is an American Strat really that much better than a Japanese Strat?' I just want to know if the American Standard Strat is still made in the states!

Yes, he's wrong. American Strats are still made in the USA. The normal standards are Mexican made. How did he even get this idea?