Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tween_spirit
Apr 12, 2006

////I WANT
&&TO EXIST

Day 6 006 by tween_spirit, on Flickr

Day 6 133 by tween_spirit, on Flickr

Day 6 166 by tween_spirit, on Flickr

Day 6 073 by tween_spirit, on Flickr

Day 6 112 by tween_spirit, on Flickr

Day 6 111 by tween_spirit, on Flickr

Day 6 135 by tween_spirit, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
The first few are good, but I don't like the happy smiley faces. Not for any reason other than happy people aren't really indicative of society because is miserable and I like to capture the first world problems.

But they are good, I'm just being a boring crynany.

2&3 are a bit naff. Not a fan of shooting performers because it's a bit like loving drunk blondes or shooting fish in a barrel.

The last few have potential and I like that you've picked interesting characters and not just whoever was sitting wherever. If you're going to shoot in colour then you need to be more mindful of your exposure though, you can't drastically underexpose during daylight and get away with it like you can on B&W.

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

I went to Tomkins Square Park in the East Village of NYC to take pictures of a BMX competition but turns out it was really a year ago. Got these shots instead.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Truck Stop Elvis by thisquietreverie, on Flickr

Stopped at a truck stop in Italy, Texas to get some drinks and Elvis here was belting out tunes. Grabbed a shot of him on my way out.

ThisQuietReverie fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 19, 2012

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ThisQuietReverie posted:

Stopped at a truck stop in Italy, Texas to get some drinks and Elvis here was belting out tunes. Grabbed a shot of him on my way out.
Hahaha awesome! So that's where Elvis went off to.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
Haha! He needs some more burgers though! Also, I'll see your Elvis and raise you another...

DSC_0322 by R-W-P, on Flickr

Sorry about posting lots of pics, I only just discovered the photography forum having been directed by someone in Automotive Insanity. Looking forward to getting some tips, critiques and advice from fellow Goons.

Living in Hong Kong gives some great opportunities for street photography. I have always been a little reticent about taking photos of people in the street in the past but I am overcoming this and find that folk actually really don't mind the attention!

1234567s by R-W-P, on Flickr

123456s by R-W-P, on Flickr

123s by R-W-P, on Flickr

Going for a movie grab type shot with this one. I have been trying to get a good washed out, neutral tone to suit the HK streets which are flooded with neon most of the time. I'd like to achieve a kind of Wong Ka Wai movie effect. I'm getting there, but still not satisfied yet.

aUntitled-1 by R-W-P, on Flickr

Untitled by R-W-P, on Flickr

Face in the Crowd by R-W-P, on Flickr

Some random ones...

DSC_5892 by R-W-P, on Flickr

DSC_1352 by R-W-P, on Flickr

Causeway Bay Market by R-W-P, on Flickr

Waiting to Cross by R-W-P, on Flickr

Minibus Driver by R-W-P, on Flickr

One of my faves

Fishballs by R-W-P, on Flickr

BBQ by R-W-P, on Flickr

DSC_1333 by R-W-P, on Flickr

DSC_5873 by R-W-P, on Flickr

DSC_5715 by R-W-P, on Flickr

Boots by R-W-P, on Flickr

Zebra Crossing by R-W-P, on Flickr

Assassin

Wanchai Market by R-W-P, on Flickr

JuanChai fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 10, 2011

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

JuanChai posted:

123456s by R-W-P, on Flickr

123s by R-W-P, on Flickr

Untitled by R-W-P, on Flickr

Causeway Bay Market by R-W-P, on Flickr

I like these.

Need to ditch the borders though.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
Love your work JuanChai, what camera/lens are you using?

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

JuanChai posted:

Insanely great pictures

Wow. Those are amazing.

tween_spirit
Apr 12, 2006

////I WANT
&&TO EXIST

Schofferhofer posted:

The first few are good, but I don't like the happy smiley faces. Not for any reason other than happy people aren't really indicative of society because is miserable and I like to capture the first world problems.

But they are good, I'm just being a boring crynany.

2&3 are a bit naff. Not a fan of shooting performers because it's a bit like loving drunk blondes or shooting fish in a barrel.

The last few have potential and I like that you've picked interesting characters and not just whoever was sitting wherever. If you're going to shoot in colour then you need to be more mindful of your exposure though, you can't drastically underexpose during daylight and get away with it like you can on B&W.

Thanks for the tips. I agree with you on pretty much everything, although I like seeing happy faces around New York :). I know shooting performers is not the greatest but I actually did that after the guy showing his stomach, thinking in my head that they would really pair well together.

The washed out exposure was also intentional, and inspired by how the shot with the stomach man came out. I really liked how the sky just became a white background, and the whole thing reminded me of a Duane Hanson sculpture, and I kept wanting to capture that again. I feel like on most of these it just ends up taking away a lot, so next time I go out and play I'll keep things more true.

JuanChai I'm a huge fan of your car photography and these are great as well, I'm especially fond of the product market at night (Untitled) the welder, and the first one with the man with the dolly. Awesome stuff and keep posting here too!

tween_spirit fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 10, 2011

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

JuanChai posted:

awesome pictures

These are amazing. I love the vibrant, lively colours, you can really "smell" and "hear" the streets. I actually don't mind the borders, they go well with the contrasty colours and cinematic style, making them look like screenshots from contemporary HK movies. :)

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
Thanks for the comments! I am in two minds about the borders. I don't usually like using them, but I was trying to achieve what plasmoduck said above. In terms of lenses, I just use the Nikkor 50mm F/1.8 and a 30mm Sigma F/1.4. I want to do more with the latter but you need to be much closer to the subject which can be a challenge.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

quote:

“street photographer” has become shorthand for “I am a graffiti-enthusiast DJ with a fitted-hat collection, terrible social skills, and an interest in nightclubs and the people who frequent them. Oh, and I have a physical aversion to focusing a camera.”

Another interview with Bruce: http://www.viceland.com/int/v18n8/htdocs/pounding-the-pavement.php

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

DSC_0206.jpg by K.rakkles, on Flickr

DSC_0223.jpg by K.rakkles, on Flickr

IMG_0137.jpg by K.rakkles, on Flickr

Fashion district in LA + Angel's Knoll. Great places to shoot.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

JuanChai posted:

Going for a movie grab type shot with this one. I have been trying to get a good washed out, neutral tone to suit the HK streets which are flooded with neon most of the time. I'd like to achieve a kind of Wong Ka Wai movie effect. I'm getting there, but still not satisfied yet.
I liked the cool (color balance) they had in Chungking Express on the streets, or under fluorescent lighting. I think Christopher Doyle was trying to give people the feeling that they were actually there observing these characters.

The one thing that's difficult to translate is the continuous motion of the camera. They may have been using moderate telephoto lenses for some of the street shots, maybe 90mm or so range on full frame, it felt like they were spying from a distance in a few, and even when they were closer many scenes were deliberately composed to have an object in the foreground or on the edges to give the person watching a sense for the point they are looking from. The last five screens above all have that element.

I thought it was cool how the composition would wander around from the moving camera but the quality and mood of the image itself hardly faltered, you still felt like you were there.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I feel that the thrill of shooting street in Poland, where it's basically illegal has paid off at least a bit with these:

better, non-euclidean world by pierogies, on Flickr

* by pierogies, on Flickr

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!

Pierogi posted:

I feel that the thrill of shooting street in Poland, where it's basically illegal has paid off at least a bit with these:

I like these. What are you shooting with?

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

JuanChai posted:

Pictures and words

You make me want to get out and shoot the night markets here in Taiwan much more. Your style is great.

This is all I've got, and I am not too happy with it. 20mm was too wide, and 35 was too long for the spot I wanted to take a picture from :( Guess I should use my feet next time lol.

DSC_0194 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

RoflcopterPilot posted:

I like these. What are you shooting with?
Thanks, I shot these with an M6/Voigtländer 35/2.5 combo on Superia 400.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

East Lake posted:

I liked the cool (color balance) they had in Chungking Express on the streets, or under fluorescent lighting. I think Christopher Doyle was trying to give people the feeling that they were actually there observing these characters.

The one thing that's difficult to translate is the continuous motion of the camera. They may have been using moderate telephoto lenses for some of the street shots, maybe 90mm or so range on full frame, it felt like they were spying from a distance in a few, and even when they were closer many scenes were deliberately composed to have an object in the foreground or on the edges to give the person watching a sense for the point they are looking from. The last five screens above all have that element.

I thought it was cool how the composition would wander around from the moving camera but the quality and mood of the image itself hardly faltered, you still felt like you were there.

I have always loved the cinematography in Chungking Express. I remember a friend had a postcard of a photo of Faye Wong taken from the movie which I used to stare at for ages. Interesting point you make about the scenes having objects in the foreground adding to the almost voyeuristic feeling. I think I will try that technique more often.

Sevn posted:

You make me want to get out and shoot the night markets here in Taiwan much more. Your style is great.

This is all I've got, and I am not too happy with it. 20mm was too wide, and 35 was too long for the spot I wanted to take a picture from :( Guess I should use my feet next time lol.

Thanks! That's made my day. Taiwan looks like an interesting place to shoot. There are plenty of night markets there right? I almost always use my prime 30mm or 50mm lenses so I have to zoom with my feet. Looking forward to seeing some more photos from you. I just added you as a contact on Flickr.

JuanChai fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 16, 2011

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
Got my first altercation today with someone I was shooting. Asked me to delete my shots (which I did, they weren't that good anyways), the good twist is that I explained to him what I was doing and asked if I could take some more portraits... and he accepted.

Stranger #1 by avoyer, on Flickr

I feel like it's a start of a new project inspired by street photography.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

JuanChai posted:

I have always loved the cinematography in Chungking Express. I remember a friend had a postcard of a photo of Faye Wong taken from the movie which I used to stare at for ages. Interesting point you make about the scenes having objects in the foreground adding to the almost voyeuristic feeling. I think I will try that technique more often.

Thanks! That's made my day. Taiwan looks like an interesting place to shoot. There are plenty of night markets there right? I almost always use my prime 30mm or 50mm lenses so I have to zoom with my feet. Looking forward to seeing some more photos from you. I just added you as a contact on Flickr.

Thanks! I mainly use Flickr as a dumping spot though. I will try to put up some better pictures :D

There are tons of nightmarkets here. Every big city has 2-3, some have 4-5, and even the little cities have at least 1. Ive been wanting to get up to the big one in Taipie, where Snake Alley is and take some shots there. It is always crowded and something interesting going on.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Crossposting from SAD

Lost in Thought by alkanphel, on Flickr

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A few I like from the weekend.

DSC_1442 by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_1407 by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_1388 by DarSevn, on Flickr

The second picture is an illegal vendor running because the police are coming. By the time I lifted my camera to my eye, he already had his bag rolled up, the other guy wasn't far behind.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
Cross posting from SAD. The planets aligned and my to edit folder is heaving for a change.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Crossposting from SAD, something that caught my eye while walking along the road

Gate 2G by alkanphel, on Flickr

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Is this street? I don't know.

Light of the lamp-post by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Takeaway by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

Gallery by trambopaline, on Flickr

Been taking my Canonet out for walks out in my local town.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007

attempting to take photos in my town

Spot how many people in this picture hate me.

Sad thing is I'm a white 30 something woman with a small child in tow. God only knows what it would be like as a non-white male.

Medusula fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 5, 2011

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Medusula posted:

Sad thing is I'm a white 30 something woman with a small child in tow. God only knows what it would be like as a non-white male.

I only see 3 people looking at you. The old lady seems the angriest, but old ladies always seem so angry to me. I am pretty sure this doesn't help, but I try to think of it like this. If someone punches me in the face, or smashes my camera, at least I will have a nice picture to give to the police :D

Really though, relax and don't worry as much. As long as you aren't looking sketchy, most people won't give you a second glance, and if they do, honestly, who cares?

Edit: You could always scowl at them when they walk by and say "Thanks for ruining my picture!" Not sure how well that would work though haha.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Medusula posted:

EXIF shows you're shooting with a 35mm. It's too wide for how you're shooting right now, do you have a 50 or 85 to work with?

Half the people in your shots are facing away and completely uninteresting, it gives a big sense of nothingness to the photos.

You should work on getting closer (this will not work when you have a small child with you, bad idea for being out shooting) or zooming/cropping on interesting 'scenes'.

In your color shot I think you could have had something interesting with the red-haired girl and her two friends eating some hot dogs, and in the b/w photo the 'punk' guys could have been interesting if shot more 'personal'.

Capture decisive moments etc etc, focus (metaphorically) on two-five people at most. You can have other people in your shots, but you need to frame it and present it so that there is a point of interest, something you're drawn to, something that the photo is capturing.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
Thanks for the advice any and all is most welcome :)
I do have the AF 50mm (fx) lens so will swap them over next time, although that will be in Sheffield where the camera is feared less which will make it easier.

tween_spirit
Apr 12, 2006

////I WANT
&&TO EXIST
A few from last Friday on the way to work / leaving work. I need to work on not cutting off the tops of peoples heads, at least as a start.

Midtown by tween_spirit, on Flickr

Midtown2 by tween_spirit, on Flickr

Post by tween_spirit, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Shot on Superia 200 film that I forgot to develop until a year later. Only converting it to b&w saved it marginally

Crosslegged by alkanphel, on Flickr

tys
Jan 26, 2006

don't stop me now
drat it. now thanks to this thread I am going to start shooting street again..

I have been taking a few with my intelligent phone, it is a lot more discrete as someone else was saying earlier.

Farmer's Market:

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Oooh I take a lot of street shots...

A lot of them are in my Voyeur set on Flickr.

Apologies a lot of them are black and white. I'm conscious of trying to keep more of them in colour. I'm also trying to build up more confidence so I don't only take pictures of people's backs or while they're on the phone or something... I love the effect when someone is looking at me in the picture, but feel funny in real life.

Does this count as street?

I've been set a topic of "Streetscape" for this month but I'm not entirely sure what that means!

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
I haven't been shooting in ages. So lame.

But I have a backlog of film waiting for a scanner, so when I have that my flickr may just double in size or something.

Heaps of great stuff on this page guys.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It seems like there are a million students in my city, and I never take their picture (aside from my own students). When I did take one, I missed the focus hah.

Time for school by DarSevn, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Not sure if this counts as street photography but I'm crossposting from SAD anyway

Son & Father by alkanphel, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I got my first nice phone (Samsung Galaxy S II) last month, and I've been using the camera a lot, since it's always with me. Before I got a phone here, I used to carry my NEX-3 around all the time instead, but the smartphone is a "good enough" solution for casual stuff in decent light:

Street by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

1315633784945.jpg by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

1315645411981.jpg by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

1315645452832.jpg by ethics_gradient, on Flickr