Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I got my first nice phone (Samsung Galaxy S II) last month, and I've been using the camera a lot, since it's always with me. Before I got a phone here, I used to carry my NEX-3 around all the time instead, but the smartphone is a "good enough" solution for casual stuff in decent light:

Street by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

1315633784945.jpg by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

1315645411981.jpg by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

1315645452832.jpg by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

I wanna say I like these, but every shot is from behind :( I wanna see some faces :colbert:

Edit: As far as phones go, all I can say is :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
I feel more suss with my HTC than with my SLRs. Good job though, the second one is classic.

Love shooting kids. Hate getting called a pedo.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Schofferhofer posted:

Love shooting kids. Hate getting called a pedo.

This. It is a completely different world here, compared to America, but I am always afraid to point my camera at a kid, even here where I think they wouldn't care. I have a few, but the feeling is still there.

Sevn fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 15, 2011

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Just the first two? (The last one I shot from the side because I didn't want to stand in the way of the procession.) I don't think the first one would have worked from the front as well, but yeah, I do wish I could have gotten the kid on the suitcase from the front. Would have been an awesome close-up (the phone has a pretty wide angle lens on it).

Sevn posted:

This. It is a completely different world here, compared to America, but I am always afraid to point my camera at a kid, even here where I think they wouldn't care. I have a few, but the feeling is still there.

There's a law here in Japan about not taking (recognizable) photos of students at school and posting them online, otherwise I'd have some cool ones from Sports and Culture day to share. I'm not sure how that works as far as random kids on the street, I would guess it's open season, but I tend to err on the side of caution.

Developing countries are another thing entirely; people don't have the same concerns and a lot of the time kids will ham it up for the camera and crowd around to see the picture on the LCD. One of the majorly annoying little things about the NEX is it isn't PictBridge compatible, I'd love to be able to hook up my little battery-powered Wasabi and make business card sized prints for them to keep.

edit: Cambodia

Girl by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Cambodian Gothic by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 15, 2011

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Both of these are excellent!

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

There's a law here in Japan about not taking (recognizable) photos of students at school and posting them online, otherwise I'd have some cool ones from Sports and Culture day to share. I'm not sure how that works as far as random kids on the street, I would guess it's open season, but I tend to err on the side of caution.

Here in Australia it's basically no cameras or photography of any kind on school grounds or of students during school hours.

It gets ignored when parents come for events and what not, but as a teacher I have to constantly stop kids from taking photos on their phones.

Also my rangefinder is here. I am now ultimatestreetfag.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Schofferhofer posted:

Here in Australia it's basically no cameras or photography of any kind on school grounds or of students during school hours.

It gets ignored when parents come for events and what not, but as a teacher I have to constantly stop kids from taking photos on their phones.

Also my rangefinder is here. I am now ultimatestreetfag.

Wow, both of those are very interesting to know. Here in Taiwan I have never heard otherwise. I know there are a ton of photography clubs at the schools here, and while I don't make it a habit to bring my camera to school, I have always asked and nobody has said it is a problem, whether at public school or cram school.

Funny I would say 50% of the kids Jr High School or above have a phone that can take pictures, and when I worked at a Jr High, I constantly got stopped to have my picture taken with students.

Edit: US mentality, I am very worried about taking pictures of my students, and I wouldn't if there wasn't a very good relationship with a class that I have been teaching for a very long time.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
We have photography classes here but they're really poo poo and boring. I'm going to start a photography club at my next school (which will be remote country area) to give kids something to do outside school hours and that should be much more relaxed.

But yeah, taking photos from public land (ie footpath) or your own land of school grounds is also illegal.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Developing countries are another thing entirely; people don't have the same concerns and a lot of the time kids will ham it up for the camera and crowd around to see the picture on the LCD.

This is the exact opposite in New York City. People hate the camera in New York, especially if you try to take their picture incognito and get caught. Sometimes the reactions are just pissy, but then there are those that get really out of hand. Once I was chased by a street vendor down a city block but I outran him, another time I was lunged at and the camera was almost torn from my neck. A policeman intervened and I got out of the situation okay (but I nearly lost a few thousand dollars worth of gear). For the most part, though, people just give you dirty looks. So I don't photograph people like this anymore. They don't like it, I don't like it, and the pictures don't usually work. I now resort to asking people if I can take their photographs. It's not street photography, it's more like street portraiture. But if they say yes it frees me from the restraints of having to be sneaky, and I'm able to focus on taking better pictures. At least that's what I'm hoping. I haven't seen the film yet, I should be getting it next week.

When I'm out in places like the city, however, I often think of developing countries like Cambodia and what it must be like to be around people who haven't formulated such negative opinions about the camera. It must be very liberating.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
I think both ways work really well for different results. If you're interested in documentary work and interesting candid scenes, asking for permission just won't work.

Having said that I have had people approach me a few times and try to snatch my camera away or yell and scream about privacy laws but they just get told to gently caress off. Not in it to make friends.

If people ask nicely, however, that's a different story.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I have yet to see really good street photography today. I like some of this guy's stuff, but basically, the good shots from people on flickr and even in this thread, for example, are lucky ones. The really good street photography you saw 30, 40 and 50+ years ago just cannot happen again today as easily. People (in this part of the country at least) are just too aware of their surroundings and of the camera.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Yeah it's hard, we get that.

tween_spirit
Apr 12, 2006

////I WANT
&&TO EXIST
When I'm shooting street it's almost all the time in New York, and I'm never actually putting the camera to my face. I just take a few miscellaneous shots to adjust my settings for the surroundings / what I want to achieve and bum around town and go at it, keeping the camera strapped cross-body on me and holding the camera with my thumb on the shutter release. It's the most non-descript way I can take shots that I've worked out, and I prefer to do this since I mostly like to shoot people that probably don't want their photo taken. Sometimes I catch people staring into the lens since it's obvious there is no lens cap on it, and my camera looks sort of weird anyway. I usually try to take their photo when they do this :)

I realize this sounds like a spray and pray but I still try to be very conscious of what I'm photographing. As in, I only try to find interesting subjects and I make a point to maneuver myself in a way that I believe will make for a good photo. Still working on framing everything well completely blind though, that's still occasionally difficult for me. (as can be seen in two of my shots above where the heads are chopped off slightly)

Something like this I took before I was ready, but I still had my thumb on the shutter and wanted a go at it anyway. Knew she would be out of focus but didn't want to lose it regardless, since she wasn't going to be reaching for my hand that long.

Day 10 01 by tween_spirit, on Flickr

And some more from the same day:

Day 10 02 by tween_spirit, on Flickr

Day 10 03 by tween_spirit, on Flickr

I had one other, actually great shot of his follow-through, but there is some distracting stuff in the background behind his arm and it completely ruins it. Oh well.

Day 10 05 by tween_spirit, on Flickr

And this guy was cool as hell, he was drinking a bud on his stoop and was calling me over to chat after I gave him a "what's up". We ended up talking for close to an hour about a lot of poo poo, and I really wish I actually asked him to take his photograph since I feel like I could've gotten a decent portrait out of it. I'm sure I'll see him around again.

tween_spirit fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 15, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Street photography in Rome should be easy. So many cameras around that it would be impossible for any one person to avoid any one camera.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Just the first two? (The last one I shot from the side because I didn't want to stand in the way of the procession.) I don't think the first one would have worked from the front as well, but yeah, I do wish I could have gotten the kid on the suitcase from the front. Would have been an awesome close-up (the phone has a pretty wide angle lens on it).

Developing countries are another thing entirely; people don't have the same concerns and a lot of the time kids will ham it up for the camera and crowd around to see the picture on the LCD. One of the majorly annoying little things about the NEX is it isn't PictBridge compatible, I'd love to be able to hook up my little battery-powered Wasabi and make business card sized prints for them to keep.

edit: Cambodia

I really like these! Myself and a friend were actually planning a trip to in that part of the world next year. A friend of a friend runs an orphanage and shelter for abandoned children near the Thai/Cambodia/Laos border. We were planning on volunteering for a month whilst using the opportunity to take photographs with a view to creating a book to sell here in Hong Kong, of which all the proceeds would go back to the orphanage. It would be great if one of my plans would come to fruition!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Street is filled with too much contradiction for me. I want it to be candid, but the rule is always, "don't use telephoto!" If people see you shooting, you've changed the scene already. If you shoot from anonymity, it's "not street!"

Plus, while I'm an advocate for the whole "photography is not a crime" thing, when someone is walking to/from work, feeling like poo poo, I've got a lot of sympathy for their hostility to some stranger getting in their face taking their picture.

I like looking at the good street stuff, but it's one shot in 10 of those I see posted, let alone the ratio to shots taken. On the other hand, I love the "my walk to work" series that Mannequin did. It wasn't street photography, but it had a lot of why I like street in it.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
tbh I see less than one in ten fashion photographs that don't look awful.

The issue with telephotos is obviously that they can't capture interesting scenes, nor give the feel of depth that a wide angle can.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Schofferhofer posted:

tbh I see less than one in ten fashion photographs that don't look awful.

The issue with telephotos is obviously that they can't capture interesting scenes, nor give the feel of depth that a wide angle can.

Telephoto photos generally don't have the same feel of closeness that wide angles do because of the flattening effect and lack of exaggerated perspective. Kind of hard to explain.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

HPL posted:

Telephoto photos generally don't have the same feel of closeness that wide angles do because of the flattening effect and lack of exaggerated perspective. Kind of hard to explain.

It's not hard. The most important thing that matters in a street photo is for the viewer to feel he could see the presented scene with his own eyes. You can't achieve that effect with a tele and even 50mm is pushing it despite everyone saying it's a "normal" lens.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I think it depends on what you're going for though. It's one of those rules that you can break if you know what you're doing and why you're breaking it. For example, I think JuanChai has some really beautiful tele shots, and I much prefer them over "standard" street shots, because most of the time wide angle shots tend to all look the same, especially when people are shy and there are 8 pictures of people's backs or no real subject. Personal preference really, but I don't think you can't use a telephoto lens because then it isn't "true street".

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think what it might be is that people associate that telephoto look with glamour and what not and wide-angle work looks more gritty and intense, which seems to be a large part of the whole street photography thing.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I just got a 135mm f2 L, hoping to take more portraits. Will street shots not go well with it? Isn't it just a case of standing further away?

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Clown posted:

I just got a 135mm f2 L, hoping to take more portraits. Will street shots not go well with it? Isn't it just a case of standing further away?

Well, I was going to say, go outside and try it out, if it works for you, who cares? Then, I decided to go to flickriver, and I found a photographer I really like now.

Untitled by dst.zero, on Flickr

His photo, not mine.

Some of the shots really show the length, and it looks like it can be limiting, but I think he does pretty good with it.

Edit: Well I linked the wrong guy, but just go look at flickriver, I saw a lot of shots I liked.
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/135l+street/interesting/

Sevn fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 15, 2011

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

tween_spirit posted:

Day 10 03 by tween_spirit, on Flickr

ha! I took a picture of this guy the other day. Or at least I think I did. I may have put him in my frame and moved on.

torgeaux posted:

I like looking at the good street stuff, but it's one shot in 10 of those I see posted, let alone the ratio to shots taken. On the other hand, I love the "my walk to work" series that Mannequin did. It wasn't street photography, but it had a lot of why I like street in it.

Hmm, I don't think I did a "walk to work" series, but I'm glad you liked it! I'll take credit for it either way.

Clown posted:

I think 85mm is more preferable. 135mm can get a little shaky when the light gets low, and you may not notice slight blur until you get home and look at the shots. It's also a much heavier lens, the 85mm lenses these days tend to be fast and lightweight. I also think that 135mm puts too much distance between you and your subject. At the end of the day it boils down to personal preference. Go out there and shoot and see what you come up with.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mannequin posted:

, I don't think I did a "walk to work" series, but I'm glad you liked it! I'll take credit for it either way.

you didn't call it that, I just referred to it that way.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Gosh, when I thought you had to stand a little bit further away, you really have to stand quite far away!
This thing is like a telescope...

Untitled. by Clwn, on Flickr

My first go at street with the 135mm.

CatanZZZ
Jul 1, 2003
Hex squares n sheep
Feedback appreciated. I had trouble with both the harsh sunlight this afternoon and trying to figure out the iPhoto editing software. I am used to Photofiltre but I hear gimp.org is also good.

CatanZZZ fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 11, 2020

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I ran into harsh sunlight today too. My camera was at 1/4000 ISO100 and I didn't really want to bump my aperture up while trying street shots with the 135L...

I guess this means I need an ND filter or something?

CatanZZZ
Jul 1, 2003
Hex squares n sheep
Wow, it did not even occur to me to go as high as 4000 in bright sunlight, mine are mostly 1000 and lower. I'm waiting for Amazon to deliver my copy of "Understanding Exposure." I like your pics, especially the last one.

Tween Spirit, thanks for the chest-level photo idea, I'm going to try it.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!
Got home from a trip and found out they were shooting The Dark Knight Rises outside my place. I tried to sneak in and take a bunch of shots but I kept getting yelled at and told to move so I only got a few quick quick snaps. I spoke to a few people and they said they had been there all week shooting wide angle stuff via helicopter. I figure they're just shooting filler scenes or maybe another trailer or something. Shrug.

Untitled by Please Don't Shoot, on Flickr

aaaand here are just some randoms

I didn't realize I had the timestamp on that last one until it was too late. I wish it wasn't there :(

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

RoflcopterPilot posted:

Got home from a trip and found out they were shooting The Dark Knight Rises outside my place. I tried to sneak in and take a bunch of shots but I kept getting yelled at and told to move so I only got a few quick quick snaps. I spoke to a few people and they said they had been there all week shooting wide angle stuff via helicopter. I figure they're just shooting filler scenes or maybe another trailer or something. Shrug.

I didn't realize I had the timestamp on that last one until it was too late. I wish it wasn't there :(

I'm pretty sure you could clone it out pretty easily. Also, it's not very distracting :)

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I was up at 6am today... What does that mean? High school kids hah

Cheese!!! by DarSevn, on Flickr

Couple by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_6587 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Sevn posted:

I was up at 6am today... What does that mean? High school kids hah

Cheese!!! by DarSevn, on Flickr

whattup Taipei!

On another note, is a f/1.8 lens perfect for shooting city streets at night at a decent shutter speed? I'm thinking of 1/20s with fluorescent lighting and street lights, not Times Square bright.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

HPL posted:

Perspective distortion isn't really that hard to explain.

Still have not been shooting because I moved house instead of going and shooting in the city. I need a few ideas for projects. Hopefully going to be getting a new fifty for my Surry Hills Hipster project.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Suicide Watch posted:

whattup Taipei!

On another note, is a f/1.8 lens perfect for shooting city streets at night at a decent shutter speed? I'm thinking of 1/20s with fluorescent lighting and street lights, not Times Square bright.

Taoyuan, but close enough to Taipei! I honestly love my 35mm 1.8 for everything, I can imagine it will do well at night shooting street stuff.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
More Taiwan street!

Narciso by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_7752 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Out cold by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_7612 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Street shots you say.

Should I stop taking pictures of tramps?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Clown posted:

I ran into harsh sunlight today too. My camera was at 1/4000 ISO100 and I didn't really want to bump my aperture up while trying street shots with the 135L...

I guess this means I need an ND filter or something?

These are actually foundation level students at my college (Ravesnbourne).

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
One of the ones that went into Subways had a nice bum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Clown posted:

One of the ones that went into Subways had a nice bum.

Well this is good to hear. We have many fashion undergrads that might interest you then.