Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Snak posted:

Oh poo poo when is this happening? I need to finish party down!

February, unless they negotiate something

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mexicanmonkey
Nov 17, 2005

FIESTA TIME
I really don't envy the people whose job is to acquire Netflix's streaming content, it seems like the most frustrating thing ever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They offered Starz 500 mil. It's probably not going to happen. Can't wait for 2012, when every single network has its own subscriber-based streaming content.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
What is the deal with Netflix and NBC? They obviously have a deal to stream their stuff, but how long is the wait between DVDs being released and when they'll be available for streaming? Specifically, I want to watch season 3 of Parks and Rec, but it's not up yet even though the DVD was released on the 6th. You can't even get the discs sent to your house for that show. Is it just a matter of the episodes needing to be digitized and put on their servers, or does the NBC deal have some sort of delay between releases and when it comes up on streaming?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Detective Thompson posted:

or does the NBC deal have some sort of delay between releases and when it comes up on streaming?

Ding! With streaming cannibalizing DVD/Download sales, the windows for streaming are only going to get longer.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Is that rapid-fire "fanning" motion (not sure if there's a real name for it) you see in just about every gunfight in a Western actually based in reality or do they just do it because it looks badass when you can plug 3 guys in as many seconds with a six-shooter? (see: the opening of Once Upon A Time In The West)

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Encryptic posted:

Is that rapid-fire "fanning" motion (not sure if there's a real name for it) you see in just about every gunfight in a Western actually based in reality or do they just do it because it looks badass when you can plug 3 guys in as many seconds with a six-shooter? (see: the opening of Once Upon A Time In The West)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanning_(firearms)

quote:

The idea (as spread by old western films) that people in the "Old West" fanned their hammers in actual firefights with any regularity is considered a caricature. It was done in shooting shows (where trick marksmen entertained crowds with shooting tricks) and by many a curious target-practicer; but it was probably not common in actual firefights, because it doesn't lend itself to most real-life tactical situations, in terms of accuracy or cover. One longtime firearms instructor, George L. Tooley,[1] said, "Fanning is hard on the revolver, in addition to being inaccurate, and is not recommended."

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Hollywood keeps lying to me but I keep coming back. As with just about every other factual inaccuracy in movies - "It looks cool" is a valid reason, I suppose.

At least I got the name right - I probably did look it up before and just forgot. Thanks. :)

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Yeah, fanning is not good for gunfighting at all, unless you want to spray lead in someone's general direction and then run off. I've fanned my six shooter, and while it's fun, it's not practical. Plus, I don't think it's all that good for the gun. But it looks cool, and that's what counts in movies. Firearms are one of those things movies don't really care about in terms of getting things right when making things neat to look at counts more.

NeuroticErotica posted:

Ding! With streaming cannibalizing DVD/Download sales, the windows for streaming are only going to get longer.

Well, rats.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Basically, if it's in a western, it's not true. The whole genre, from the beginnings in dime novels, was predicated on tall tales told by ex-cowboys and peppered with stuff that was just plain made up. This is doubly true for the spaghetti westerns, which add another level of mythmaking by virtue of their foreign origins.

There was a Nevada town which staged fake gunfights in the 1870s to boost tourism.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Parachute posted:

The same way you train them to do stuff like this

That's funny. I want to go to a cat circus now.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
At the end of each movie where they have the standard blurb of "All persons in this film are fictitious, any resemblance to actual people, living or dead, is entirely coincidental", when did this become the norm? Was it one particular movie that spoofed someone and they threw a fit, so that had to be tacked on to the credits?

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Boofchicken posted:

At the end of each movie where they have the standard blurb of "All persons in this film are fictitious, any resemblance to actual people, living or dead, is entirely coincidental", when did this become the norm? Was it one particular movie that spoofed someone and they threw a fit, so that had to be tacked on to the credits?

According to Wikipedia, it comes from a lawsuit against MGM for Rasputin and the Empress: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasputin_and_the_Empress#Lawsuit

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
Wow, I really didn't think people were as litigious back then. It seems a little silly to have it though with the obvious caricatures of some people they have on movies, especially spoof films.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Sort of on the same note - when did the trend of having multiple production company logo animations on the front of every movie start? I just started watching a movie on Netflix right now and got a 3-company circlejerk of flashy logos and arty names before the movie started.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
This is kind of a weird question, but I just noticed that every film Tarantino has written/directed has had a two-word title:

Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown
Kill Bill
Death Proof
Inglorious Basterds
Django Unchained

(This is of course excluding that amateur project he did in '87.)

My question is, are there any other filmmakers that have stuck to only one-word, two-word, three-word (whatever) titles?

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Every time I watch Blade Trinity I can't help but notice Blade's raging boner in the police station, right after he takes a hit from his inhaler. Please tell me I'm not the only one fascinated by the decision to leave that in? The commentaries on the special edition DVD mention nothing about it, but I can't believe that NO ONE during the entire process didn't see that shot and think "Holy poo poo, is that a huge hard-on in that scene or what?" Why Goyer, why?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Explosions! posted:

Every time I watch Blade Trinity I can't help but notice Blade's raging boner in the police station, right after he takes a hit from his inhaler. Please tell me I'm not the only one fascinated by the decision to leave that in? The commentaries on the special edition DVD mention nothing about it, but I can't believe that NO ONE during the entire process didn't see that shot and think "Holy poo poo, is that a huge hard-on in that scene or what?" Why Goyer, why?

Whoa, haven't seen that movie. Screenshot please, so I don't have to search google for "Blade Boner"

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008

Fayez Butts posted:

Whoa, haven't seen that movie. Screenshot please, so I don't have to search google for "Blade Boner"

If you start watching from 4:35 you can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzAWZrPimQs

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Explosions! posted:

Interrogator: "What about blood? When you drink blood do you feel yourself becoming sexually aroused? You see, it seems to me that this business of vampirism has strong connotations of sexual confusion. Bodily fluids being exchanged, that sort of thing, and you have to ask yourself where that comes from. And I'm wondering what your relationship was like with your mother. Were the two of you very close?"

In the first movie, Blade discovers that his mother is a vampire and is sexually involved with the movie's villain. Right after learning this, he's taken captive and strapped to a machine that's supposed to kill him by draining his blood. His mother uses his helplessness as an opportunity to tease him sexually, right before activating the switch to have the device start killing him. He escapes, drinks blood from the love interest (while she spams, half-moaning, half mumbling for him to stop), then kills his mother. Right in the middle, between drinking his girlfriend and killing his mother, he roars and arches his back in slow motion, in a shot mirroring the one you've brought up. And this is, like the scene you're asking about, the transition point between him being released from captivity and engaging in the violence he uses to sublimate his sexuality.

So, yeah, probably not an accident. Blade has a connection between sex and drinking blood, partly because of his relationship with his mother, just like the guy interrogating him suggests. The inhaler dispenses a blood-analog.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 16, 2011

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Explosions! posted:

How about the much more obvious example of David Bowie in labyrinth? Was it a conscious decision to have his cock visible in every scene he's in?

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 16, 2011

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dr_Amazing posted:

How about the much more obvious example of David Bowie in labyrinth? Was it a conscious decision to have his cock visible in eberyscene he's in?

I assumed that was part of Bowie's contract.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Encryptic posted:

Sort of on the same note - when did the trend of having multiple production company logo animations on the front of every movie start? I just started watching a movie on Netflix right now and got a 3-company circlejerk of flashy logos and arty names before the movie started.

The opening logos first started so the projectionist in a movie theater had a few bullshit images to test to make sure the film was in focus.

It has evolved into another Hollywood ego-stroke, but each of those companies either contributed cash for the film or is a major creative force behind the project.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Hollywood's been trying to brand their films for years and it's never ever worked.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch
How are movie trailers distributed to the big theater chains? I went to go see Contagion last weekend at a Cinemark theater, and one of the trailers was for the original Sherlock Holmes movie (not the sequel). I thought it was going to end up being an advert for a re-release of the movie before the sequel hit, but nope - it was just a straight-up trailer. I've never seen that happen before and I was wondering whose mistake it was.

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Explosions! posted:

If you start watching from 4:35 you can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzAWZrPimQs

Since it's not very 'raging' I think they just didn't notice such a small thing

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!

codyclarke posted:

This is kind of a weird question, but I just noticed that every film Tarantino has written/directed has had a two-word title:

Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown
Kill Bill
Death Proof
Inglorious Basterds
Django Unchained

(This is of course excluding that amateur project he did in '87.)

Some more interesting stuff about Tarantino movies.

Spoiler alert: stuff about ALL of his movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op4byt-DtsI

Mononymous
Mar 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I always figured Miller's Crossing was closer in story to The Glass Key, though I'm sure the Coens read both.

When I read Red Harvest a few years back I was surprised by how much of the slang the Coen's had lifted for Miller's crossing. I don't have my copy to hand, but I'm fairly sure that a lot of the more striking dialogue, like "Take your flunky and dangle" and "She's a sick twist" is lifted wholesale. I remember being struck on a number of occasions by how blatant it was.

ReverendSasquatch
Feb 22, 2005

thought I told you to SHUT UP!

indigenous nudity posted:

How are movie trailers distributed to the big theater chains? I went to go see Contagion last weekend at a Cinemark theater, and one of the trailers was for the original Sherlock Holmes movie (not the sequel). I thought it was going to end up being an advert for a re-release of the movie before the sequel hit, but nope - it was just a straight-up trailer. I've never seen that happen before and I was wondering whose mistake it was.

Trailers are shipped out on a weekly basis. They are then spliced onto the trailer reels of specific prints. Each movie has a predetermined set of trailers that is updated week to week as new trailers come out and older trailers have their movies released. When they get pulled, the trailers are supposed to be shipped back to the studios. Most booths I've worked in though have a couple of boxes of old trailers lying around that slipped through the cracks. My guess in your case is that it was supposed to get Sherlock Holmes 2, but an old one got spliced in by mistake. Less likely but still possible, the studio mis-shipped an old trailer with a SH2 label. Either way, I doubt that trailer lasted very long on that print.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

art of spoonbending posted:

Since it's not very 'raging' I think they just didn't notice such a small thing

They probably did more than one take of the scene, there was someone working on continuity, a whole team dedicated to lighting the thing, they watched dailies and dozens of people watched it over and over again during editing, color correcting, sound editing, etc.

There's no way they didn't know it was there. It's possible it was accidental and left in (probably not) but it's very, very rare that something goes totally unnoticed in a Hollywood film.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Dancing Potato posted:

They probably did more than one take of the scene, there was someone working on continuity, a whole team dedicated to lighting the thing, they watched dailies and dozens of people watched it over and over again during editing, color correcting, sound editing, etc.

There's no way they didn't know it was there. It's possible it was accidental and left in (probably not) but it's very, very rare that something goes totally unnoticed in a Hollywood film.

There is a car in Fellowship of the Ring.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

the Bunt posted:

There is a car in Fellowship of the Ring.

How the gently caress else is Frodo supposed to get to Mount Doom?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

sexattack posted:

When I read Red Harvest a few years back I was surprised by how much of the slang the Coen's had lifted for Miller's crossing. I don't have my copy to hand, but I'm fairly sure that a lot of the more striking dialogue, like "Take your flunky and dangle" and "She's a sick twist" is lifted wholesale. I remember being struck on a number of occasions by how blatant it was.

Interesting, I hadn't noticed. I did know that their first film, Blood Simple, took it's title from a quote in the book. But The Glass Key is largely the same story as Miller's Crossing, except The Glass Key has an extra murder mystery thrown in. Book and movie spoilers The main character works for a political boss/mobster who's being pushed out by a rival, purposefully has a falling out with his boss to get thrown out of the organization and goes to work for the rival, sabotages his old boss's rival so his old boss ends up on top again, the only real difference is in the book the protagonist gets the girl in the end

Point is Hammet is loving boss.

Would love there to be a movie that's closer to Red Harvest, I think three or four corrupt organizations, including the law, are all in shambles by the end of that book.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
In Schindler's List, some of the people are lined up while Ralph Finnes' character Amon Gothe interrogates them over who stole a chicken and shoots one of the people. Then a little kid steps forward and declares the dead guy stole it.

Did Gothe just luck out and shoot the right person or was the little kid just that ballsy/smart?

Edit: http://www.anyclip.com/movies/schindlers-list/stolen-chicken/

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 17, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The North Tower posted:

Did Gothe just luck out and shoot the right person or was the little kid just that ballsy/smart?

I assume the kid was being clever.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The North Tower posted:

In Schindler's List, some of the people are lined up while Ralph Finnes' character Amon Gothe interrogates them over who stole a chicken and shoots one of the people. Then a little kid steps forward and declares the dead guy stole it.

It was to stop the killing

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

bobkatt013 posted:

It was to stop the killing

Nope, he was just lucky.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Skwirl posted:

Interesting, I hadn't noticed. I did know that their first film, Blood Simple, took it's title from a quote in the book. But The Glass Key is largely the same story as Miller's Crossing, except The Glass Key has an extra murder mystery thrown in.

Interesting thing: the scene in Yojimbo where Mifune's character is being held and beat up by bad guys is almost a complete lift from the Alan Ladd version of The Glass Key.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SaintFu posted:

Interesting thing: the scene in Yojimbo where Mifune's character is being held and beat up by bad guys is almost a complete lift from the Alan Ladd version of The Glass Key.

And some of the rest of the movie is from Red Harvest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headrest
May 1, 2009
This has probably been addressed, but I loving hate it:

It seems a lot of channels that are in HD now, like SyFy and History, broadcast movies too. But for some reason, the frame rate and quality of these movies makes them look like TV shows or something... all I know is I saw Quantum of Solace on SyFy and it looked like loving Law and Order.

Why??