Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

RagingHematoma posted:

Since I bought it a year ago, the phone randomly locks up and freezes to the point where I have t pull out the battery. I have rooted the phone, installed every conceivable update and the thing is still a buggy piece of poo poo.
What exactly have you installed?

The phone has its issues, no doubt. But it really shouldn't have stability issues on stock ECO5. If it does, it's worth doing a "Factory data reset" to see if that resolves them, and if not, possibly do an Odin flash of EC05 again. Otherwise you have a defective unit, and Sprint should be able to swap it out or "fix" it for $35, free with TEP.

However, if you've installed a leaked ROM, particularly one of the recent Gingerbread leaks (EF02, EG22, EH06, EH17, etc.), sudden reboots are a common and well known problem with these leaks, and likely why official Gingerbread has not been released yet.

If you have a custom ROM installed, particularly one with "ext4 no journal", the lockups are probably due to a hosed file system. If you reflash and make sure the ext4 journal is enabled, it shouldn't do that anymore. Although to be honest, running a stock/RFS ROM is probably best. Yes it's a bit laggier, but the Epic is far less laggy on RFS than other Galaxy S devices, and it's probably worth the tradeoff for greater stability and less hassle.

If for any reason you're running an undervolt or overclock kernel, your problems are likely resolved by just getting rid of them. The phone will lock up if it's overclocked beyond it's capability, or undervolted too much. To be honest, overclocking is a waste of time with little benefit. Some folks claim that undervolting improves battery life, but again, at the potential cost of greater instability and more headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

900ftjesus posted:

I can get 10Mbps download on the 3D over 4G, so it's either their local coverage or the phone itself. It has nothing to do with WiMAX technology in general, but accuracy is not important I guess.

I agree that it's a pointless thing to include in a review for a phone, but Verizon's LTE is much faster/better than wimax on Sprint. Can't argue with that.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

pragan4 posted:

I agree that it's a pointless thing to include in a review for a phone, but Verizon's LTE is much faster/better than wimax on Sprint. Can't argue with that.

No, but the pet peeve is that reviewers tend to compare Wimax as a whole to LTE as a whole, as if Sprint switching to LTE would make a difference. It's not the standard that makes things suck.

This unfortunate misunderstanding is probably only going to be further perpetuated when Sprint does launch their LTE network along with their whole Network Vision thing.

Xtopher
Feb 18, 2007

You are all weirdos.

jbusbysack posted:

Is the Galaxy II S still supposedly going to come out this Friday the 16th?

Not supposedly, it is.

edit: also, Samsung Galaxy S™ II Epic™ 4G Touch, or SGS2E4GT for short.

Xtopher fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 14, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Xtopher posted:

Not supposedly, it is.

Such a sexy looking phone. Just give me the same phone as a Nexus + ICS + the 1.5GHZ Dual CPU = Me buying a new phone.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Xtopher posted:

Not supposedly, it is.

Don't you mean SGS™IIE™4GT?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

averox posted:

Don't you mean SGS™IIE™4GT?
SGS™IIE™"4G"T

Edit: I'm also amused by the sheer number of xda folks who can't wait to dump their buggy-rear end piece of poo poo Epics and blow their $75 1/yr upgrade on this obviously-massively-better phone.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 14, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

SGS?IIE?"4G"T

Edit: I'm also amused by the sheer number of xda folks who can't wait to dump their buggy-rear end piece of poo poo Epics and blow their $75 1/yr upgrade on this obviously-massively-better phone.

1 year $75 upgrades are either gone or about to be gone.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

nate fisher posted:

Such a sexy looking phone. Just give me the same phone as a Nexus + ICS + the 1.5GHZ Dual CPU = Me buying a new phone.

Definitely sounding like that's what the Nexus Prime is going to be, though obviously it's all just rumors right now. I was just hoping we'd get the SGS2 with the same dimensions as the Euro version but I guess only AT&T got that.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
So I received the replacement evo shift from sprint under their replacement program and dropped the old one off at the post office on the way to work, in the prepaid envelope sprint provided. Then I just thought, hey, was that actually a usps label, or FedEx or UPS or something?

Are sprint's prepaid envelopes usps?

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What exactly have you installed?

The phone has its issues, no doubt. But it really shouldn't have stability issues on stock ECO5. If it does, it's worth doing a "Factory data reset" to see if that resolves them, and if not, possibly do an Odin flash of EC05 again. Otherwise you have a defective unit, and Sprint should be able to swap it out or "fix" it for $35, free with TEP.

However, if you've installed a leaked ROM, particularly one of the recent Gingerbread leaks (EF02, EG22, EH06, EH17, etc.), sudden reboots are a common and well known problem with these leaks, and likely why official Gingerbread has not been released yet.

If you have a custom ROM installed, particularly one with "ext4 no journal", the lockups are probably due to a hosed file system. If you reflash and make sure the ext4 journal is enabled, it shouldn't do that anymore. Although to be honest, running a stock/RFS ROM is probably best. Yes it's a bit laggier, but the Epic is far less laggy on RFS than other Galaxy S devices, and it's probably worth the tradeoff for greater stability and less hassle.

If for any reason you're running an undervolt or overclock kernel, your problems are likely resolved by just getting rid of them. The phone will lock up if it's overclocked beyond it's capability, or undervolted too much. To be honest, overclocking is a waste of time with little benefit. Some folks claim that undervolting improves battery life, but again, at the potential cost of greater instability and more headache.

Thanks for the tips. I am going to give the factory reset a try. I did root the phone, but I can't seem to remember what I rooted it to.

So, you're saying that Sprint will do a swap for $35 even without TEP? I figured since I was 1 year into the contract I was out of luck.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

bobula posted:

So I received the replacement evo shift from sprint under their replacement program and dropped the old one off at the post office on the way to work, in the prepaid envelope sprint provided. Then I just thought, hey, was that actually a usps label, or FedEx or UPS or something?

Are sprint's prepaid envelopes usps?

TEP is USPS, but people do that all the time and USPS/UPS/FedEx will swap packages with each other so you don't have much to worry about.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Is there an easy way to share 3d photos between Evo 3d's yet?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

RodShaft posted:

Can't you just email them?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

RodShaft posted:

Email from a file browser app? Look for .mpo files in the DCIM folder. Not ideal for previewing, but EStrong's at least will organize by date.

e; n/m you can opt to email a 3D image right from the stock gallery.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

RagingHematoma posted:

I am going to give the factory reset a try. I did root the phone, but I can't seem to remember what I rooted it to.
If the factory reset doesn't help, you can follow the directions in this thread to a full ROM reflash. This is the ROM .tar file you'll want to use to get the latest official firmware version.

RagingHematoma posted:

So, you're saying that Sprint will do a swap for $35 even without TEP?
Without TEP, Sprint service and repair is $35 per-incident regardless of the warranty status of the device. With TEP it's free.

Some things aren't covered though, like water and "irreparable" damage. That stuff you have to have TEP, file a claim, and pay a $100 deductable for. Given that used Epics are going for $125 on eBay now, and might even bottom out to $100 or less with the release of the Epic Touch this Friday, I don't think TEP is worth it on this device.

Also, chances are they wouldn't swap it the first time but just reflash the firmware to see if that fixes the problem, which you can just do yourself.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Repost from the Sprint iPhone 4 thread: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/13/sprint_briefs_employees_on_apples_iphone_4_ahead_of_oct_launch.html

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.

big mean giraffe posted:

Can't you just email them?

sirbeefalot posted:

e; n/m you can opt to email a 3D image right from the stock gallery.
When I tried this after first getting the phone, it didn't work. I would say yes, email the 3D, and my friend (with an EVO 3D, obviously) would get a 2D picture.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

big mean giraffe posted:

In the mean time, try out CleanROM from XDA. Someone in the rooted thread said they installed it just fine over their stock ROM, but I did a clean wipe. It's awesome, much smoother and has some really nice little tweaks.
Is CleanROM better than scrosler's Senseless ROM?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

RodShaft posted:

Check out Twin Pic 3D in the market, you can share 3D pics between phones with the app installed.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RagingHematoma posted:

This may be an old topic to bring up, but I was wondering if the issues I have been having with my Epic 4G were out of the ordinary.

Since I bought it a year ago, the phone randomly locks up and freezes to the point where I have t pull out the battery. I have rooted the phone, installed every conceivable update and the thing is still a buggy piece of poo poo.

Is this common with this phone? Is there anything I can do? I am only one year into my two year plan and I'd hate to have to drop another $300 on a phone.

A) I had this problem with my Epic and it was only fixed by going back to stock, and

B) call Retentions and repeatedly refer to your phone as a "trail of tears." A year is a longshot with getting your upgrade bumped forward, but if you pour it on thick about how you're being torn apart between how much you love Sprint and how much owning an Epic hurts you might luck out if you're respectful and seem pitiful.

It isn't like they are new to resetting upgrades for Epic owners anyway.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Battle Cattle posted:

When I tried this after first getting the phone, it didn't work. I would say yes, email the 3D, and my friend (with an EVO 3D, obviously) would get a 2D picture.

Weird. I just tried sending one to myself and it definitely sends an .mpo, though my iMac displayed a 2D preview in Mail, so maybe the phone was messing up and thinking the 2D preview was the photo? Have you tried it recently?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Sprint ending premier program:

http://www.sprintfeed.com/2011/09/sprint-ending-premier-program/

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Jensen posted:

Sprint ending premier program:

http://www.sprintfeed.com/2011/09/sprint-ending-premier-program/

Just coming to post this -

Android Central posted:

For starters, the Sprint Premier program is coming to an end. Current members will be hearing from Sprint sometime after Sept. 16 with all the details, but the short version is starting at the beginning of this month, enrollment in the program stopped, and you'll have to use your current (and final) Premier upgrade on or before Dec. 31, 2012. In addition, the other smaller but just as appreciated perks like accessory discounts and annual anniversary gifts end Dec. 31, 2011. Employees have been instructed how to let everyone down easy, but this will sting no matter how you slice it.

Ouch. If Sprint raises prices and/or starts throttling data, I'll just jump to Verizon. There will literally be NO reason left to stay with Sprint.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Ozmodiar posted:

Just coming to post this -

Ouch. If Sprint raises prices and/or starts throttling data, I'll just jump to Verizon. There will literally be NO reason left to stay with Sprint.

Crap, well at least I'll get one more upgrade, but still crap.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I don't feel as bad about the Premier thing because I already got screwed over by it with the Silver poo poo, but yeah, that sucks. 20 month upgrades are nice, though, I guess. At least for me, since I already lost my yearly.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

900ftjesus posted:

Crap, well at least I'll get one more upgrade, but still crap.

Indeed.

I wonder if I can swindle two 1 year upgrades...?

I'm eligible now (have a launch day EVO 4G) so I could theoretically get a new phone tomorrow and still get one more before the 12/31/2012 deadline...

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

I don't feel as bad about the Premier thing because I already got screwed over by it with the Silver poo poo, but yeah, that sucks. 20 month upgrades are nice, though, I guess. At least for me, since I already lost my yearly.

There can't be all that many people left, just seems odd to take it away from people with unlimited plans and 10-year customers. I think that's about the only people left that qualify now.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

900ftjesus posted:

There can't be all that many people left, just seems odd to take it away from people with unlimited plans and 10-year customers. I think that's about the only people left that qualify now.

Because they're freeloaders, that's why :colbert:

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Jeratain posted:

Is CleanROM better than scrosler's Senseless ROM?

It depends if you want Sense or not.

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009
Had an interesting experience with my wife's EVO Shift recently that I haven't seen posted, so here's a fun story!

It all started when she went to work with her phone battery on low. Figuring she'd just let the battery die on it's own and charge it when she got home (as she has countless other times) she thought nothing of it. That night she comes home, plugs in the phone, waits, and.... nothing happens.

No charging light, no screen coming on, just nothing at all. We check the charger, we remove and replace the battery, all to no avail. It's the phone, and it's just seemingly completely dead.

The phone sits around for about 2 weeks as I figure out what to do that will cost the least amount of money and time, when I decide to try it again. Still nothing.

So I scour the internet and come across a mention about batteries and temperatures. Apparently the battery dying in a higher temperature room can force the battery level so low the charging circuit can't activate on plug-in, and it can even drop so low that an internal safety is triggered and the battery is dead forever.

Learning this I stick the battery in the freezer (inside a plastic bag with no air, so as not to get it wet with condensation) for 2 hours. After 2 hours I quickly take the battery out of the freezer, toss it in the phone and plug the phone charger in. Sure enough the charging light flickered for a second, then blinked a few times, then held steady. Phone booted up just fine, no lost data, and the battery has the same life it always had! Hooray! Phone rescued!

TL;DR: If your phone mysteriously seems completely unrecoverably dead one day, stick the battery in the freezer for a few hours then try again.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Starting tomorrow sprints return policy goes to 14 days and $35 restock fee for new customers (it was already $35 for upgrades) and upgrades.

The premier program ending surprised me. Honest question: how many people here, once having XX new phone, would need yearly upgrades?

That being said, I think we asked the same thing about the evo, and the newer dual core phones are a decent upgrade from that.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 15, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I would love to have access to yearly upgrades, but I'm also a tech whore and love the latest and greatest.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

The premier program ending surprised me. Honest question: how many people here, once having XX new phone, would need yearly upgrades?

Yeah, I think it was never about needing yearly upgrades outside of case-by-case "my phone is a lemon and I want out" scenarios with individuals. It was just a nice perk to have and a good bullet point on Sprint's list of pros as a carrier choice. That list seems to be dwindling pretty rapidly.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

I would love to have access to yearly upgrades, but I'm also a tech whore and love the latest and greatest.

I never even got to use my yearly upgrade on myself while I had it. The one time I used it, I did it to replace my wife's phone. It is something I would have used the hell out of if I still had it. Now I'm less likely to get the latest and greatest new phone and more cautious to see what's coming.

For example, if I had yearly upgrades, I'd be rocking an Evo 3D right now instead of my 4G. Instead, I'm holding out to see what the next Nexus is going to be. (With yearly upgrades, I could probably have done both)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm getting pretty tired of buggy CM7 on my Evo, suggestions on a replacement? I've also still never figured out the best way to move from one ROM to another, even though I have Titanium Backup... :(

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

sirbeefalot posted:

Yeah, I think it was never about needing yearly upgrades outside of case-by-case "my phone is a lemon and I want out" scenarios with individuals. It was just a nice perk to have and a good bullet point on Sprint's list of pros as a carrier choice. That list seems to be dwindling pretty rapidly.

Yeah at this point there's not even a significant benefit to Sprint besides cost, and that's almost entirely offset by their terrible coverage as far as I'm concerned. And I'm one of those lucky ones with a 25% discount. Unlimited data is a nice perk, but I personally only go over 1gb of monthly data two or three times a year. Plus Sprint is even losing service differentiation with the regional carriers if you don't travel a lot since their data coverage is just as shity outside metro areas as the regionals.

If Sprint next decides to jack up rate plans without Network Vision bringing their 3G/4G coverage into parity with ATT/VZW, I don't see why I *wouldn't* leave them - even though it's been nearly 12 years since I got my first lovely Sprint Sanyo flip phone fresh out of high school.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Duckman2008 posted:

I think I would fall the category of someone who upgrades every year. With the EVO, this is the first year in 5 or 6 years I didn't upgrade to a new phone after a year. Why? A) while the EVO 3D is a better phone for many reasons it just didn't push me to upgrade at all (plus I wanted something different), and B) with the Nexus ICS and what I thought was going to be the iPhone 5 I thought I would save it for something better.

That said since I have 5 lines I will still get my upgrade yearly anyway (I have 3 lines one year and 2 lines the next).

ShaneB posted:

I'm getting pretty tired of buggy CM7 on my Evo, suggestions on a replacement? I've also still never figured out the best way to move from one ROM to another, even though I have Titanium Backup... :(

I have used several Sense and ASOP ROMs on my EVO, and I liked CM7 a lot, but I have become a big MIUI fan. The theme community has really caught on with its 100 different lockscreens and status bars. Very easy to customize.

The only negatives to MIUI is no 4G, and you have to really stay with it for about a week before you judge it. The first couple of times I used it I left after a day. Just too different. But last May I forced myself to stick with it for a week and I have not once thought about changing to something else. The lack of a app drawer is an issue for some, but just use ADW. About 2 weeks ago I forced myself to use MIUI without ADW, and now I prefer it that way.

To change between ROMs? Backup the apps you want, backup your phone, wipe data, and use Calkulin's Format.zip if you want. You should be fine flashing to whatever ROM you want.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 15, 2011

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
With all the perks getting dropped Sprint is certainly becoming less attractive. One perk that will definitely make me switch is if Sprint went to metered data. I kind of wish I didn't have four other people on my line now with all that is happening. Sprint service is pretty spotty where I'm at now compared to how it was in Philly, PA. Everyone here uses Verizon because their service really is the best here.

Also one thing to think about guys. Sprint is probably getting both the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5. Remember how Apple is with secrecy? It'd be pretty embarrassing for the iPhone 5 details to be leaked by training documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulzanti
Jan 22, 2004

ho ho ho

Duckman2008 posted:

I think the yearly upgrades were great for the used phone market, weren't they? I can't imagine original Evos being so cheap when the Evo 3D came out, if everyone who bought a release evo was still under contract.